Adventure 2: Dwarfed by a phantom thief?

After the successful rescue of Santa Claus, the ones who rescued him seemed to find their lives have a few more positives, oh sure Merida and Calla got an earful from the leaders of the princess academy for their last prank but because they saved Santa Claus and were officially marked as heroes, they were given a little more breathing room when it came to their lessons and such. If they didn't want to attend a certain princess class, they could do some training instead to keep their skills sharp just in case they were needed. 

The last incident in the kitchen with Kronk still earned him a few glares in there but Kronk knew he had done the right thing and the blessing that Santa gave him help that positive attitude keep allowed him to keep doing good. 

Yichan found herself gaining words of approval from her higher ups and family for her heroic task so she was in high spirits as well

However the four would soon find themselves being summoned by Merlin yet again... it seemed there was a little troublemaking going on that could use a couple of heroes to help out with. 

The group would head to the Mage Tower where Merlin was. Once there they would see two dwarves, one with spectacles and a slight warm smile the other with a frown as big as his face talking with Merlin

Merlin hummed as the group entered "ah here they are, Heroes welcome I got a job for you." He looked at the two dwarves, "these two gentle dwarves are the leader and first officer of the Mining Corps we have here in the kingdoms. I present to you Doc and Grumpy. Doc, Grumpy the heroes who helped saved Santa Claus when he was in dire straits, Merida, Calla, Kronk and Yichan

Doc, the one with the spectcles, made a light noise then said "well it's a hreat gonor er great honor to meet you heroes."

Grumpy made a loud disapproving noise as he glared at the group "HA. Great honor indeed," He looked at Merlin "seriously three women with two of them being princesses... have you lost your magic marbles. Merlin"

Merlin hummed "I assure you Grumpy, the four in front of you plus another helped saved Santa and I am more than sure they are capable of handling your problem."

Grumpy made a snort "right." He gave them all a glaring once over "humph... I suppose we'll have to make do." he looked at Doc "alright give it to them straight."

Doc hummed "About a week ago, we started noticing some of our mined out gems started disappearing, first it was small ones, used for a variety of things including jewelry, but as each day passes we noticed that the thefts got bigger and more was taken entire bags of gems started disappearing. Naturally we posted guards and locked up the chests that we stored the mined gems in but then the phantom started showing up, scaring everyone. Even though we tried to fight it, especially Grumpy, it seemed immune to our pickaxes and after the phantom chased everyone off or knocked them out, we would find the stuff that was freshly mined taken and it was decided that the phantom was the one behind the thefts."

Grumpy growled "we've alerted our buyers that there's been a thief who has stolen our gems from our mine and that if anyone trying to offload a massive amount of gems to them that they better call the guards because if they are caught with our gems, they aren't going to like what I do to them." Grumpy huffed "what's worse is that they stole a rather large stone that seemed to have magical properties that we were going to bring to Merlin but right after we found it, the phantom showed up and..." He growled with rage "took it right in front of us and laughed as nothing hit him."

Doc hummed "do you think you heroes could help us get to the bottom of this problem."

spacer.pngYichan Su | Variant Human Monk (Way of Open Hand) 6

AC 17 | HP 51/51 | Speed 55ft | PP 16 | Init +6 | Ki 6/6

Yichan raises an eyebrow at Grumpy's remark but does not act upon it. After all, he is famously known for his grumpiness, and it is her job to protect all citizens, even if they are grumpy and unlikeable. Also, her brother would definitely reprimand her if she does do something.

With much professionalism, she listens intently to their problem. At first she thought that the dwarves are reporting a case of a petty thief. However, her alarm raises when Grumpy revealed that a thing of magic was stolen. While it could be that the thief is just aimlessly stealing valuables, she cannot be certain of this assumption when the Villains made a move not too long ago. And especially not when the threat of Ursula's scheme around.

What is the most interesting is that none have actually seen the ghost stealing. With the miners chased off and the increasing amount of gems stolen, it is very likely that there is an accomplice. However, it is a mere speculation, so she goes about collecting leads. "Let's proceed with the standard questions. Feel free to add on as you see fit. This is standard procedure, so please have some patience and cooperate." She pointedly glances at Grumpy, then proceeds: "What is the appearance of this phantom? From which direction did the ghost come and go? Have anyone witnessed the ghost commit the robbery? Has anyone spotted an accomplice of any sort? Are there any other incidents or things to note that occurred at around the same time? Have there been recent robberies outside of the mine?" 

spacer.pngKronk

HP: 56/56 | Initiative: +1 | Perception: +1 | Stealth: +1 | Armor Class: 19

After the dust had settled from their return, Kronk made a few connections with villainous underlings to make sure that a nice kobe steak was sent Scar's way. He had made a promise, after all, and Scar had kept his end of the bargain.

Grumpy's chauvinistic attitude earns a cross look from Kronk of all people, but the man says nothing. While Yichan had connected the dots, Kronk isn't able to keep up with Merlin's train of thought. "Listen, Mr. Merlin, sir, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but... should this really be our priority right now? Especially since the-" Kronk stops and looks at the dwarves, realizing just in time that Merlin was still trying to keep the theft of the Sundial a secret.

"Since the you-know-what is still missing?"

R.jpg.2ca289fdf72caaacb64a030887b89370.jpg

Princess Merida of DunBroch - Character Sheet | Application

AC: 18 |  HP: 52/52 |  PP: 19 |  Speed: 35ft |  Spells: Lvl I 4/4 , Lvl II 2/2 

Merida listened to the request, growing more excited by the minute.  While she'd been happy with the newfound freedom her and Calla had been allotted, it was still rather boring after the thrill of actual heroic adventures.  Grumpy, she understood.  Given that snowwhite had been thwarted by an apple, it was reasonable to question the heroic prowess of a princess, but even Snow had grown a lot since those days.  She'd opened her mouth to contest but found there being no need, so she snapped it shut and listened.  Doc had her at the edge of her seat, there was a brief moment where she couldn't help but snicker when the dwarf mentioned getting to the bottom of things, because it was a mine afterall.

Yishi started with more boring stuff then, not that Merida couldn't see the value, it was just boring.  "We can do the questions and such on the way ya? I bet it would be easier to explain stuff on site anyway.  I'm not familiar with the mine so them explaining where and when and all that would be easier with some kennin of the like."

She gave Kronk a wink his concerns were valid, but they weren't there to decide who did what. "Kronk, we can trust Merlin to find that stuff and other heroes I'm sure have their work cut out for themselves in it.  Let us help where we can when asked and who knows, maybe there'll be more answers by the time we get back.  Or... you're not afraid of a wee ghosty are ya Kronk?"

spacer.pngKronk

Kronk looks at Merida at Merida as if she just grew a second head. "The size of a ghost doesn't change the fact that is a ghost, Merida!"

"Don't you get it, Kronk? Princess O'Brae here is dunking on you," Kronk's shoulder devil pipes in, unheard by everyone but him. "You really gonna let her disrespect you like that? You're a big strong man and her greatest enemy is a hairbrush!"

"Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. I daresay that your own hygiene is worse than hers," the shoulder angel retorts. His devilish nemesis only blows a raspberry in reply.

"Guys, guys, let's focus! The mission," Kronk says to silence them both, although it's not clear if he's speaking to the people around him or to conversation partners that aren't even there.

Edited by Prehysterical (see edit history)

Merlin hummed as Kronk made subtle mention of the missing sundial "do not fear, I have already been dealing with that particular problem. This phantom on the other hand is suspicious and it being immune to attacks... something is off... very off..."

Doc hummed "well the ghost is rather big, almost as big as Mr. Kronk I imagine if not bigger but he appears as if he's wearing a ragged and patchworked dark red miner's outfit. Almost like mine but for someone a lot bigger and wider 

Grumpy huffed "yeah and you think there was something inside filling that ghost out but when you go to attack him your weapon passes right through him almost as if he's not there but then he smacks you with his lantern or pickaxe and you feel like you been clobbered by such a weapon."

Doc hummed "as for the thefts the only time we've seen the phantom actively steal anything was when we found that magic filled stone and it went for that stone almost single-mindedly and once it had the stone it just laughed. People in the local town near our mines haven't had any real robberies..."

"but we did see a big guy that almost fit the size and shape of our phantom." Grumpy cut in "and his laugh seemed to match the phantom's, loud hearty and boisterous almost as if he was proud to get away with something." 

Doc coughed "but he didn't have any of our cut gems on him nor did he have a miner's outfit and when asked he claims he not the guy we're looking for and isn't behind the thefts or the phantom."

Grumpy huffed "Although I wouldn't be surprised if he's behind it somehow, his attitude stunk."

Doc hummed "well in his defense you did outright accuse him of the thefts."

Grumpy growled "well he was talking with a jeweler and had a small bag of rough diamonds that he claimed he dug up somewhere but wouldn't say exactly where. So I thought it was something from our mines" 

Doc hummed "there are other places where diamonds are found."

"yeah but if it's from the local area, it's under our corporation and if he mined it without our knowledge or permission. He's asking for trouble." Grumpy retorted

Merida blinked at Kronk and tilted her head.  "You know wisps are spirits ya? This doesn't sound like a ghost though, what's a ghost need rocks or gems for?"  She gave Kronk a punch in the arm.  "Tha's the spirit, we do have a mission! Lets go be heroes.

Merly, you gonna help us out again, tha scroll was a lifesaver last go.  Maybe something to help us see in the dark if we're going inte the mines?"

Yichan thinks deeply as the new information is revealed. The intentions behind the thefts are still unclear, but it seems like the phantom will consistently steal from this particular mine. "For now, I'd suggest that we don't confront this suspect of ours. If you rustle the bush, you will alert the snake within, and we certainly don't want to alert the thief of anything. Instead, I propose that we ambush the thief on the next theft."

"Upon your return, announce to the rest of the miners and personnels that we will be arriving a day later with a new magical gem sent on behalf of Master Merlin and initiate the preparation for security. And if I may overstep my position, gather a few of the ones that you find...suspicious and inform them that the gem has already arrived along with its location. We will be in that location with a fake gem, prepared to apprehend the thief when he comes to steal it, whether immediately or a day later."  

She then turns to Merlin and adds on to what Merida requested: "Methods of dark vision will certainly be helpful, but we will also need something that can capture ghosts. All plans would be meaningless if the target can easily escape the binds. Last thing would the the fake gem, preferrably with some sort of tracker on it in case we could not detain the ghost."

• 2 weeks later...
Princess Calla Dunwyn

marc-elliott-l-hommedieu-disneycalla.jpg.cc57bf7622ea4045003fb817ce94fbe7.jpg.6bcbcf9e42964ef22360a18b0e25105b.jpgCalla had taken advantage of the greater freedom they had been given to do some more training, as well as let her good friend Sunny know what she had been up to. Now this meeting with two of the Dwarves and talk about a phantom thief? This was definitely an adventure in the making and that was confirmed in quick succession by Merlin and the others. Yichan had a great set of ideas and some true concerns. But at the mention of hitting the ghost, she had a bit of an idea.

"Magic spells and magic weapons are good against ghosts, I believe. Maybe there's an item Merlin has that can be used to bind a ghost, if it is truly a ghost. It could be someone using magic or trickery to accomplish these feats." The blonde princess looked first at her redheaded friend, then Kronk. "Do either of you have a skill or spell that helps you identify if something is a ghost, spirit or other?"

spacer.pngKronk

"Well...," Kronk answers Calla hesitantly. "I do have... ways of telling if something is undead or not." He chooses not to share how, since then he has to explain the angel and devil on his shoulders that no one else can see. It's just not worth it... Speaking of which, he trusts the others to better understand how to handle nasty things like ghosts than himself.

Merlin hummed as he pulled out his bag "I do believe I have just the item." He dug into his bag and pulled out a rack of goggles of night. "These goggles will give the wearer darkvision or extend it if you already do" He stated then dug into his bag again "as for catching something." he pulled out a coiled blue rope that seemed to be writhing like an active snake "I do have this so called rope of entanglement but I think it might be hard to handle as I think someone made it an animated object with a bad attitude."

The rope seemed to take offense at this and it extended its tipped end made a lash at Merlin's face

Merlin growled "don't make me throw you into fire."

The rope seemed to flinch and became limp

Merlin huffed as he put the rope down "It might work to bind a foe but i'm not sure if there anything you can do against a ghost,"

Merlin then pulled out what appeared to be a crystal orb with five smaller beads attached to it. "I also have this that I've been working on, These sticky beads are connected to this crystal by magic and if you can get a bead onto a person or object the tracker will be able to point you in the direction that it is as long as they don't go to a different world or something."

• 3 weeks later...

(I'm going to advance to a battle scene)

Once the group got the items from Merlin, they set out with Doc and Grumpy to the dwarf mines traveling by a pulled wagon

Once they got to the road near the mines, a younger looking dwarf in an elongated green shirt was waiting watching for them. When he saw the group, he jumped in surprise then without speaking he ran over to where Doc was and started flailing his arms with a look of fear and panic.

Doc made a noise "Dopey what is it What's wrong."

Dopey made a noise that sounded like some sort of monster as he held his arms up and out wide his outfit making him look like he was trying to mimic a towering monster.

Doc grunted "don't tell me the Phantom!"

Dopey made a noises and actions as if he was fighting something but then hugged himself slightly and shook as if being bound and then he pointed rapidly and repeatedly in the direction that the group was traveling toward.

Doc grunted "Dopey says the Phantom attacked again, and I think this time he's taken someone or someones."

Grumpy grunted "why that no good ghoul. I'll teach him to mess with us. Where is he Dopey."

Dopey pointed down the road

Grumpy grunted "Come on."

The group could continue down the road but just as they arrived at the mines, they would encounter some strange creatures that looked like small limber humanoids with large metallic claws at the end of their thin arms. They appeared to be doing various troublemaking things to the mining equipment that was near the entrance of the mine

Grumpy grunted “hey what are these creatures.” He growled

“I don’t know I’ve never seen them before.” Doc stated

Grumpy growled as he pulled out a pickax and wielded it like a weapon “Come on,” He growled

~~~

Roll initiative, beat a 10 to get a move before the enemy.

Name
Enemy Initiative
1d20+3 7

Merida tried on the goggles and everything went dark! Then she realized she had them on backwards, and pushed them up over her forhead to help keep her hair back.  Though when they began discussing the tracker she was there in a flash picking it up and imagining the amazing uses of putting it on the knight patrols so she could sneak around them easier. "We could use these to scout, so you know where they went. This is going to be so much Fun!"

Traveling was not fun, wagons were probably the least fun way to travel that she knew of. It was like being in a bumpy prison that made you take forever to get where you wanted to go. It wasn't long before her head lulled back and she was snoring away with her mouth open. She'd been dreaming of riding a Heffalump through the wilderness, when then came to a jolting stop causing her mouth to snap shut.

There was a commotion and by the time she got outside to see the bald faced dwarf pantomiming the scenario she strung her bow and followed, stopping briefly to give the frightened fella a kiss on the forehead before pulling her goggles down and heading into the mine. "Time we get to some heroing!... we really need a name for our group..."

Name
initiative
1d20+4 3

spacer.pngKronk

Kronk decided to skip the wagons during their journey, instead viewing the trip as an opportunity for some much needed cardio. He'd been sampling too much of his own cooking in the kitchen... Better burn off a few calories.

Once they get to the mine, Kronk's brow furrows in concern as the dwarves report that some people might be missing. Okay, this wasn't just about some dumb crystals anymore... Time to get serious.

Surprised by the presence of the strange creatures, Kronk nonetheless tries to calm both the dwarves and the creatures. "Whoa whoa, how about we take a second and calm down here, huh? What's all this about?"

OOC

Kronk will Channel Divinity to use Emissary of Peace to try and convince both the dwarves and the creatures to stand down. Persuasion check to follow.

Edited by Prehysterical (see edit history)
Name
Initiative
1d20+1 10
Persuasion
1d20+10 18

Yichan sat atop the carriage, keeping an eye out for dangers and guards up for ambushes. Everything remained peaceful until they reached their destination. With a kidnapping at hand and strange creatures destroying the equipments, the plan is mostly out the window as most plans are. However, one does not bend but follow the wind, and Yichan readies to stop these intruders.

Name
Initiative
1d20+6 3