Janet the Witch

spitfire6006006

Name: Janet Goldwyn
Class: Mysterious Stranger and WitchJanet before the change
22 years old, 4'11" and 100 lbs

2 years, or a whole lifetime ago, depending on who you ask, Janet was just a normal engineering student. Well, maybe not so normal even then. She was always a bit of a rebel, leading her to not get along with quite a few of the authority figures in her school, often on the verge of getting kicked out. If she weren't so actually good at her studies, she very well may have been. As much as she excelled at her very logic-driven major, she was also trying to cast spells before it become an actual reality, considering herself a witch.

Then the turning happened, and changed not only the whole world, but Janet herself. Her skin turned pale purple, her hair turned a shade of pink she'd never been able to get from a bottle. Hell, she even grew horns, turning into the physical manifestation of what all the judgmental old biddies had already thought of her. The weirdest part, though, was when her pet snake started talking to her, and taught her to do magic. Real magic, not the "good luck on tests" type she'd always been trying.

The Turning

It was the day after a particularly late night that she could only half-remember through the stupor of the pounding in her head and the haze in her eyes. Her mouth was so dry her lips felt like the desert. She was in a strange room, strewn half-naked on someone else's bed. The someone else was apparently the other girl, also half-naked and draped over her. She was taller and heavier than the petite Janet, making it a bit awkward to move. The pounding in her head throbbed again, and reaching her hand up, she realized it wasn't just the hangover that made her head feel like it was split open, it actually was! Her fingers felt a sharp nub, bone pushing its way out of her forehead. On the other side, another. She let out a gasp, then tried shaking the other girl awake. It was only then she realized the other girl wasn't making any noises. No snoring, not even breathing. Oh god, they were definitely going to expel her now, even if this had nothing to do with school and she hadn't done anything. She cried out, closing her eyes, trying to block it all out, the pain in her head, the horns. The dead girl on top of her. After she failed to do so, she started to try to pull herself free, grunting with exertion and some panic. After a minute of wriggling and shoving, she finally managed to extricate herself from the bed, standing next to it, looking down at the poor girl. She recognized her, somewhat, as someone she'd seen around campus. She was some kind of athlete, maybe? She didn't even know her name, but she still felt sorry.
Janet now
It didn't take long to find out it wasn't just her, the rest of what she found out was a sorority filled with more bodies. After throwing up behind a couch, she quickly dressed, grabbing a hat to hide the horns that were still growing from her forehead, a little longer by the minute. Her whole body started to itch, heating up like she had a fever. Was she next? Whatever illness had killed all those other girls coming for her next? Though, none of them had horns, so maybe it hit her differently? Or was it just taking longer, mutating her before she died like them. Either way, she couldn't stick around, and she left. She got in her shitty little car, only to find out it was dead. Didn't take long, either, to realize there were no other cars moving. A lot of them crashed, though, filled with the dead. Seemed it wasn't just the house. So she found herself a bike. It was a child's bike, sure, but she couldn't really reach the pedals too well on a bigger one. At least nobody was around to see her riding a bike with cartoon princesses on it. She cringed at such a dark joke popping into her head, but it wasn't the time to dwell on it. She started to make her way the few miles back to her tiny studio apartment on the other side of campus, passing a lot more cars and bodies. Off in the distance, she did spot a few other people moving around, but given her strange horns, decided to avoid them. Making it home, she found herself winded, panting with the exertion. She wasn't cut out for this kind of thing, she left the exercise for the athletes. Like...that girl. She couldn't help but cry a little, though the bike ride had done that, too. The itching and burning she was feeling didn't help matters, either, as she dragged herself up the couple levels of stairs, stumbling into her apartment without even managing to close the door all the way before collapsing onto her ratty couch. She itched at her skin. She knew she was pale, but did her skin look even whiter? It almost looked purple... She didn't have much time to ponder before passing out, though, her new horn jabbing through one of her pillows as she drooled on the couch.

She was woken rather abrutly by a sound of something behind her getting knocked to the ground. More alarming was the fact that when she groaned, sitting up, she found a man rooting through her things. When she shouted at him, at first he screamed. Something about "demon" and "freak". It wasn't until she looked in a mirror later that she realized he wasn't just being a bully in the usual way when they encounter someone who dresses like her. But after his initial shock, he came after her with the sledgehammer he was holding in his hand. When he was just about to swing it at her, she screamed. The pain in her head returned, a searing one focused just above her eyes. Something inside her unleashed, and the man just...fell asleep. Dropped forward, snoring with his ass up in the air. It was almost funny, or it would have been if he hadn't been about to murder her with the hammer. She grabbed it, pulling away from him in shock as he...napped on the floor. After her initial shock wore off, she quickly moved over, actually shutting the door. She finally caught sight of herself in the mirror hanging on the back of it and gasped. She was...she saw herself, but she was so different. It was so strange, but also...kinda hot. She looked like a badass. After a minute of examing herself, she turned, then started to pack a bag. She had to draw a curtain, she generally kept the sun out but the power was out so it was pretty dark otherwise. As she threw some things into her bag, she realized she'd almost forgotten Sir Slithers, her pet snake. She grabbed the fanny pack she used to carry him in, then went over to his cage. Her scream when he said "I almost thought you'd forgotten about me" to her nearly woke her would-be assailant. She thought maybe she'd just imagined it, things were very stressful, and quickly put him in the bag. After getting a few more things, she finally was ready to go. She made it to her door, looking back one last time at her shitty little apartment. It might've been a dump, but it had a certain charm. Other than the guy passed out on the floor. She turned, leaving to go find...she wasn't sure. Safety? Other people who wouldn't try to do...whatever he was gonna do? She'd figure it out on the way...

Janet

Janet has an edge to her, sure. She was always a troublemaker, generally hating authority figures, especially those who used that authority to step on those below them. But underneath, she is a better person than she likes to pretend. She was looking out for 'the little guy' in her own way.

Following the turning, she didn't get any bigger than she already was. The horns that grew from her forehead did give her a couple extra inches, but those don't really count. Her skin turned a pale purple, her eyes glowing a strange fiery orange with pink irises. Her hair now gleams a strangely metallic pink in color. Her ears grew out, like an elf or something from the fantasy movies she enjoyed. Her fashion sense hasn't really changed, but her penchant for sturdy boots came to help out in the new wasteland that the world has become. When her magic manifested, a strange purple eye symbol appeared on her forehead.

Edited by spitfire6006006 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Eborne1 said:

I loved the story...  Well-written!  

I haven't looked over her mechanics yet.        

Thanks, I didn't think it would get as long as it was while I was typing it out lol. And I still need to pick a feat (forgot the human free feat) and gear

I thought it was a good length...  I usually end up editing some content from my own narratives, lest they get too long.  I'll probably start looking closer at sheets next week.   Feel free to change your tag to "Ready for Review" whenever you wish.  You'll still be able to make adjustments as long as you let me know of anything major.    

Edited by Eborne1 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you just need to pick your weapons/armor/gear as well as perhaps a feat. Everything else looks good.

Let me know when you're done and I'll mark your application complete.

Character lottery will be in the next few days.

• 2 weeks later...

v3EC3XI.png.570c0edaabe9153dcb3df50f58653958.pngJanet Goldwyn | AC 14 | CMB +5 | BAB +3 | Hit Points: 36/36 | Size: Medium | Speed: 30 ft |
Init: +5 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +6 | Will: +3 | Grit: 3/3

"Dialogue RGB #870033"

Tools of the Trade

Spells:

Cantrips: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Message

L1: Charm Person, Murderous Crow

Hexes: (DC 13)
Healing, Slumber

MW Semi-auto pistol +7 (1d8, x2) | Bolt-Action Rifle +6 (2d8, 19-20/x4)

Actions/OOC

Edited by spitfire6006006 (see edit history)