Year 2950: Secrets Buried

Vladim

spacer.png

(Image credit: Donglu Yu)

♫ Icewind Dale OST - Svirfneblin Refugee Camp ♫

Time: Late evening, nine days after setting out from Rhosgobel

spacer.pngThe place that Tarric had found seemed at first just a simple clearing: unusual in this dense and tangled forest, but otherwise unremarkable. But there was an air of safety about the place, inexplicable and yet powerful. Soon, they knew why: Evoric, who had gone to scout, had returned after a little while only, wide-eyed and excited. "Come, come see!" he said to them urgently, before even they had a chance to start making their camp.

The place was nearby, and well worth their time: there they saw, amidst the old trees, ruins older yet: the crumbling remains of an ancient, elven bridge, and some sort of structure near it, though only a wall remained. Trees and lichen and climbing ivy had long begun the process of reclaiming it, but what remained seemed to be the source of the wholesomeness that Tarric first had perceived. The place radiated it, despite the choking mists.

Scattered masonry lay on the ground, though much must have been swallowed up by the boggy ground over countless eons. No orcish hand had touched neither bridge nor wall, despite the obvious value of the stone bricks that formed them: bricks that they no doubt would have used to mend their own fortresses, had they wished to take them. But the ravages of time were less selective, and what little remained was unlikely to last beyond a few more decades-or so it appeared.

There was a statue by the foot of the ruins, broken but not defaced. It depicted a fair elven maiden, though the hands had disappeared, and only stumps remained about the forearm and elbow. The face itself had faded, but hints of fair features still remained, and they must have been beautiful beyond belief once: the work of some renowned sculptor. Radagast looked upon it as he stood in silence and contemplation, and while the others marvelled at the sights.

spacer.png"Our luck changes at last, and not a moment too soon!" he remarked, and turning to Tarric he continued. "For these are the ruins of Oropher's fabled realm, who was Thranduil's sire, and king before he fell in battle. The lands here have always been marshy and dark, but the elves always sought to better them when they ruled from Amon Lanc, long before it was turned to Dol Guldur. Something of their grace remains still."

He turned to the rest of the company, who had by now gathered about him.

"Gather your gear. Tonight we camp here."

OOC

I am good to stay here for another post or two, at least until everyone can catch up from the holidays and choose benefits for the Sojourn. So let's wait a little before Delving the Depths again!

What we can, however, resolve, is the positive twists from the two matches. Since @BlueTrillium rolled them I am good if they want to choose. Here's some ideas, but please feel free to suggest others too!

• After sleeping here for the night, in the morning the mists mysteriously clear up and do not bother us again until the end of this Delve. This is a purely narrative benefit, but it does mean that one source of potential complication is removed.
  • In the morning, after we have rested, Radagast's bird-friends arrive and perch on the ruins, and for the next few days act as guides of sort, essentially enabling a Secure an Advantage attempt (+wits?) from each companion.
  • The place is so safe and tranquil that the company decides to linger a little longer in the morning, essentially allowing a Secure an Advantage move from every PC to represent the quiet contemplation/meditation that this chance allows.
  • Radagast uses a subtle spell of secrecy on the company, blessing it with his power-a Secure an Advantage +shadow to help us as we draw nearer to Fenbridge.

Let me know (esp. BlueTrillium) here or on Discord and I can set the stage (or someone else can). We can even mix them up, if you want!

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: -2 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 2 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 11]

With reluctance, Idunn had gotten up from her resting-place by the tree and followed the others. Like the rest, he wanted to see what all the fuss was about; Evoric was typically much more measured, and this excitement was unlike him.

She was not disappointed. She did not know her histories well: that was one area in which the Brown Wizard had yet to train her, for who had time for such things when there was always so much to be done? But she marvelled all the same: she had thought all traces of Oropher's reign long gone, and though Dol Guldur was once his, she doubted that she would find anything elvish about it if they made it that far.

The voices that had haunted her-a sense of nagging guilt that refused to leave her mind-grew dimmer here, until at last they troubled her no longer when she, like Radagast, looked upon the statue. At last she could have a small measure of peace, and she no longer feared what the night might bring. Somehow, it seemed certain that nightmares would not trouble her tonight.

OOC

Ok, so for the Sojourn, let's see... Idunn doesn't actually share a bond with Radagast yet (I should remedy that by the end of the adventure), so I should only choose two benefits, and it seems obvious what those should be...

• Hearten to clear Shaken and add +1 Spirit.
  • Consort to take another +2 spirit.

Stats updated!

Haunted Tanglewood

Troublesome Delve

Day: 3 (out of maybe 7)

Progress: ■■■■■■□□□□

spacer.png

Fortune it seemed had deigned to favour the company's journey, giving them a place where they may rest and recuperate from the worst of Mirkwood's befouled elements. Much needed reprieve to be sure; the tangled woods and foul miasma that hung the other did little to balance out Bróin's humours, and his spirit had sagged slowly and surely the last few days. Vara was no better, finding the forest canopy by turns suffocating and stifling.

Bróin studied the statue for a moment, noting the quality of the craftwork that survived. A testament to the artifice of the Elves he admitted, and to the petulant cruelty of the Shadow that now called these lands home. He mulled on such thoughts as he prepped the alcove he had claimed for his bed, relishing the chance for sleep with such stout (albeit weatherworn) walls around him.

OOC

Current Momentum: +4

I'll have a go at that Secure an Advantage +Shadow.

Alright a Strong Hit! I'll just take the +2 to Momentum.

Edited by Maester1216 (see edit history)
Name
Challenge Dice
7; 3
1d10;1d10 [7]; [7,3]
Secure an Advantage +Shadow
1d6+3 5

unknown.png

Ed: 1 | He: 3 | Ir: 2 | Sh: 2 | Wi: 1

Mom: 4 (10/2) | Health: 4 | Spirit: 5 | Supply: 5
Tarric

Camp that evening was the closest to the camaraderie of home that Tarric could draw up from recent memory. With the wistful aura of the ruins surrounding them, happier tales, a song or two, and jokes were told around the camp as they shared a meal.

The Beorning made sure to check in on each of the companions - some words here, a pat on the shoulder there; a gentle rub to Uthred's ears and an extra morsel snuck to Vara.

It could not last; he knew it could not. Dol Guldur was still out there, and closer than ever. But for this short time, the ominous dread was held at bay by power outside themselves, and he was thankful for the respite.

With a sigh he sat near Radagast as the last flames began to flicker and many of the company had turned to their bedrolls. "Tomorrow," he started, then paused. "We are close, aren't we? The gloom will return... or I suppose we will return to the gloom. Do you have any advice for the morning?"

He listened quietly as the night deepened, and went to his rest determined for the next step.

OOC/Mechanics

Tarric will also do the Secure an Advantage + shadow from the match options, hoping to get a good & confident start in the morning. He still has a reroll from the earlier Shadow Walk if needed I think.

Well the dice favor has left us it seems. Even with the reroll that's a Miss. I'll go ahead and burn momentum, then. That turns this into a Strong Hit and resets his momentum to 2. But then as a result of the strong hit, get +2 momentum again so he's at 4/10 momentum.

Assets

Tarric and Olwinne both have +1 talisman vs orcs.

Berserker - (Combat Talent)
When you Secure an Advantage or Compel by embodying your wild nature, add +1, and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Strike or Clash by unleashing your rage (decide before rolling), inflict +1 harm on a hit. Then, choose one:
------ Push yourself: Endure Harm (1 harm)
------ Lose yourself: Endure Stress (1 stress)
When you Endure Harm in a fight, and your Health is above zero, you may let the pain inflame your wildness (decide before rolling). If you then score a strong hit and choose to embrace the pain, take +momentum equal to your remaining Health. A weak hit counts as a miss.

Wayfinder - (Path)
When you Undertake a Journey, take +1 momentum on a strong hit. If you burn momentum to improve your result, also take +1 momentum after reset.
When you Secure an Advantage or Gather Information by carefully surveying the landscape or scouting ahead, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Swear an Iron Vow to safely guide someone on a perilous journey, you may reroll any dice. When you Fulfill Your Vow and mark experience, take +1 experience.

Talisman - (Ritual)
When you fashion a charm, envision it and name the specific person or creature it protects against. Then roll +wits.
------ On a strong it, when the wearer opposes the target through a move, add +2. If a one is rolled on the action die while making a move using the charm, the magic is spent.
------ On a weak hit, as above, but the wearer adds +1 when making a move (instead of +2).
As above, and you may instead fashion a charm which aids the wearer against all supernatural threats, such as mystic rituals or horrors.
When you perform this ritual, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)
When you cloak yourself with the gossamer veil of the shadow realms, roll +shadow. On a strong hit, take +1 momentum. Then, reroll any dice (one time only) when you make a move by ambushing, hiding, or sneaking. On a weak hit, as above, but the shadows try to lead you astray. You must first Face Danger to find your way.
As above, and you may also travel along the hidden paths of the shadow realms to Undertake a Journey using +shadow (instead of +wits). If you do, Endure Stress (1 stress) and mark progress twice on a strong hit.

Progress

▥= 1 tick, ▦= 2 ticks, ▩= 3 ticks, = full

Vow: Investigate Dol Guldur (Extreme)
Failure:
Delve: Haunted Tanglewood (Troublesome)
Vow: name (rank)
Bonds:

Bond 1: Olwinne his wife
Bond 2: Rhosgobel villagers/friends
Bond 3: Idunn
Bond 4: Woodmen-town
Bond 5: Bróin/Vara
Experience: ◍ = have, = used

Completed Vows: Rescue the Missing Hunters (T), Deal with the Spiders (D), Defend the Woodmen (F)
Completed Scenes: Destroy the Spider Nest (F), Convince the Elvenking (D), Defend the Western Walls (T), Secure Hospitality (F)
Completed Combats: Boss Spider (F), Orc Warband (D), Stealthy Orc Infiltrators (T), Dagmar (D)
Completed Journeys: To Forest Gate (D), To Tyrant Hill (T)

Edited by BlueTrillium (see edit history)
Name
Secure an Advantage + shadow
1d6+2 1
Challenge Dice
5; 4
1d10;1d10 [5]; [5,4]
Shadow Walk reroll of the Secure an Advantage roll
1d6+2 2

spacer.pngRadagast nodded solemnly at Tarric's words. "We will see what the morning brings..." he said at first, and it was as if he wished to avoid the matter entirely: he was content with their good luck tonight, and tomorrow's problems could wait.

But he could not leave the question unanswered.

"The most difficult part still lies ahead. And we will have an important decision to make, but it makes no sense to speak of it now. Still, if tomorrow you must scout ahead, be wary, and do not get too far from the rest of us. Even in bear-shape, it is easy to get lost here..."

Time: Morning, ten days after setting out from Rhosgobel

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 0 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 2 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 11]

The night proved peaceful, and their sleep undisturbed, even if they placed two sentries at all times for good measure. And when they awoke, they did so to the sound of birdsong. Despite the misty gloom, which still persisted, Radagast had managed to summon his friends. The old wizard had been the last to sleep and the first to rise, but that did not seem to bother him or even slow him down. The arrival of the birds, which had decided to perch along the ruined walls, was more than enough to brighten his mood.

As they gathered about their camp and made preparations for setting out, Idunn looked at the statue for a long while. The place had a melancholy quality to it, but it would be with a heavy heart that she would leave it behind. Of course, lingering here was out of the question, and she would be a fool to seek it out in the future... but the thought of never seeing the overgrown ruins again filled her with something very much like sorrow.

It was unwarranted and unwise. She looked at the birds as Radagast explained that they were to serve as their guides and advisors, at least until they reached the marshes. Only the birds could escape the mists and take them through secret ways that even the orcs did not know...

OOC

I'll take the Secure an Advantage +wits to try and follow the birds. I think Wildblood can apply here, giving Idunn an extra +1.

I used the same narrative reasoning to guide the Secure an Advantage +shadow rolls-perhaps the birds are guiding us through secret ways, allowing extra stealth.

If someone wants to take the lead and Delve the Depths, please feel free! Otherwise, I can also try it.

Edit: A strong hit with a match. Stats updated. I'll write the narrative benefit after someone makes the Delve move and work it into the overall scene.

Edit 2: I'll attempt a Delve the Depths +wits.

Edit 3: Strong hit. Marking Progress & choosing an opportunity. I'll take 'locate a secure area'. We need to build up our momentum tracks and recover as much as possible before the more challenging parts.

Haunted Tanglewood

Troublesome Delve

Day: 4 (out of maybe 7)

Progress: ■■■■■■■■■□

Name
Secure an Advantage
1d6+4 4
Challenge Dice
2d10 2,2
Delve the Depths
1d6+3 5
Challenge Dice
2d10 2,7

spacer.png

(Art credit: Jon Hodgson, The One Ring 1st edition)

Time: Evening, eleven days after setting out from Rhosgobel

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 0 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 2 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 11]

Two days passed in much the same manner, with the reckoning of time hindered by the dark shadows of ancient trees. Yet not all was bad and grim. Not long after they had set out from the ruins, the morning mists melted away. A westerly wind and the summer heat chased them, though neither were felt that strongly by the company as they marched under the shelter of the leafy canopy. Still, it was enough to make their journey easier and faster. Radagast's feathered friends did the rest, guiding the way and scouting ahead with eyes that knew the tangled labyrinth of boughs and branches much better than any of them, save perhaps Radagast.

Idunn rarely strayed far from him. With the gloom finally gone, her task was made easier, and her own eyes, less knowing but nonetheless keen, could at last be of some use. Uthred's unease also seemed to subside, and he ran ahead eagerly, despite his injury-though such eagerness was perhaps driven by a desire to reach journey's end and return to lands more pleasant. Now the huntress spent more time with him, and she even spoke to him quietly at times, as if she were discussing some important matter.

On the evening of the second day, the birds led them to a sight unlike any they had witnessed thus far in their journey. A great oak stood alone in what must have been otherwise a clearing surrounding it in ages past. Even now, few other trees stood about it, and those few that dared to challenge it were small and stunted. The great oak's roots ran deep, and clutched desperately against the swampy soil, but the ravages of the ages and the darkness of Dol Guldur were evident in the form of dying branches. Creeping vines and ivy covered the mighty tree, wrapping around it many times as if seeking to smother it.

There they lay down their burdens and made camp for the night.

spacer.png

(Image credit: Pencil Lad)

OOC

This is the secure area. I can use Idunn to Make Camp +wits and hopefully benefit from the 3rd ability of her Wildblooded asset, since (I think) Sojourn is only usable once per 'community' (and I am assuming our company counts as a community in that regard). But perhaps I'll try to have her Heal Uthred first. That being said, maybe I'll wait a bit for some posts from Tarric and Broin for now!

Haunted Tanglewood

Troublesome Delve

Day: 5 (out of maybe 7)

Progress: ■■■■■■■■■□

spacer.png

Bróin's spirits had raised as the Company resumed its march through the forest, taking solace in the guidance offered by Radagast's feathered friends. The Brown Wizard and he were still giving each other a wide berth however; the events at the Tyrant's Hill it seemed still proved contentious, even as the two avoided conflict for the sake of the Company. Still, the warmth of summer - diffused as it was by the environs of Mirkwood - provided much needed respite amidst the doldrum of their march.

The dwarf whistles in awe as they come upon the great oak, impressed at anything of such size surviving in the shadow of Dol Guldur. Perhaps there was hope yet for their brave band of adventurers...

But such hope turns sour as he begins sorting through his bag in hopes of organizing his gear, only to find that some of the food had turned! Blackened by mould, he could do nothing but toss it aside in frustration.

OOC

Current Momentum: +6

I'm gonna roll to Check My Gear (Delve Move, P.38).

Miss, and Pay the Price says something of value is lost or destroyed. I read that as a -2 to Bróin's Supply.

Name
Challenge Dice
10; 8
1d10;1d10 [10]; [10,8]
Check My Gear: +Supply
1d6+5 2
Pay the Price
1d100 27

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 0 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 4 | Supply: 3 | Uthred: 3 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 11]

Marveling at the sight of the great tree, Idunn got to work at once, and started setting up camp by its roots with the aid of her fellow Woodmen. They would rest under its shadow, which to the huntress seemed not as malicious as that of the forest they had left behind, if only for a moment. Unfortunately, their luck proved mixed again: Bróin soon discovered that some of their supplies had turned bad, and he was quick to cast them aside.

Idunn turned to him and gathered what he had just discarded. Inspecting it for a moment, she quickly concluded (with some dismay) that there was nothing that could be salvaged. She hid her disappointment, knowing that morale was fragile... and she stuffed the spoiled food in a bag regardless, and placed it by her pack.

"We had better not leave any traces of our passing beyond those that cannot be avoided." she explained. Perhaps she would not make as light of burdens as a dwarf, but weariness was preferable to attracting enemies, and she did not want to risk it.

OOC

Ok, since the Supply track is shared in co-op, I've updated it to 3/5.

I'll attempt a Make Camp +wits (using Idunn's Wildblood III asset). Wish me luck-I don't have momentum to burn if I mess this one up!

Edit: A weak hit. Wildblood III allows all of us to take 2 benefits (instead of 1); we can pick from recuperate, partake, relax, focus or prepare. I think... I think Idunn will take recuperate (+1 health to Uthred; none for her as she's at max) and relax (+1 spirit). Stats updated!

I won't risk the Heal move on Uthred right not given the Make Camp outcome. It's... probably not worth it.

Name
Make Camp
1d6+3 2
Challenge Dice
2d10 5,3

unknown.png

Ed: 1 | He: 3 | Ir: 2 | Sh: 2 | Wi: 1

Mom: 5 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 5 | Supply: 3
Tarric

The lifting of the gloom lifted spirits as well, and between that and the guidance of Radagast's flock, Tarric felt no need to remain in bear form for now. He walked instead with the group, taking it in turn to check in with each companion and all of the Woodmen. It felt good to no longer be smothered inside his own thoughts for a while.

The immense tree was a wonder, standing tall despite the forces against it. Not even the unfortunate loss of supplies could dim it. Dol Guldur loomed ahead -- yes, and it still shot cold through his bones to think of it -- but for now at least, he could push it out of his immediate thoughts.

OOC/Mechanics

Updated Supply to 3/5 per Bróin's move.

For Idunn's Make Camp, took Recuperate (health now up to 5/5) and Focus (momentum now up to 5 as well). Stats updated.

Assets

Tarric and Olwinne both have +1 talisman vs orcs.

Berserker - (Combat Talent)
When you Secure an Advantage or Compel by embodying your wild nature, add +1, and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Strike or Clash by unleashing your rage (decide before rolling), inflict +1 harm on a hit. Then, choose one:
------ Push yourself: Endure Harm (1 harm)
------ Lose yourself: Endure Stress (1 stress)
When you Endure Harm in a fight, and your Health is above zero, you may let the pain inflame your wildness (decide before rolling). If you then score a strong hit and choose to embrace the pain, take +momentum equal to your remaining Health. A weak hit counts as a miss.

Wayfinder - (Path)
When you Undertake a Journey, take +1 momentum on a strong hit. If you burn momentum to improve your result, also take +1 momentum after reset.
When you Secure an Advantage or Gather Information by carefully surveying the landscape or scouting ahead, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Swear an Iron Vow to safely guide someone on a perilous journey, you may reroll any dice. When you Fulfill Your Vow and mark experience, take +1 experience.

Talisman - (Ritual)
When you fashion a charm, envision it and name the specific person or creature it protects against. Then roll +wits.
------ On a strong it, when the wearer opposes the target through a move, add +2. If a one is rolled on the action die while making a move using the charm, the magic is spent.
------ On a weak hit, as above, but the wearer adds +1 when making a move (instead of +2).
As above, and you may instead fashion a charm which aids the wearer against all supernatural threats, such as mystic rituals or horrors.

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)
When you cloak yourself with the gossamer veil of the shadow realms, roll +shadow. On a strong hit, take +1 momentum. Then, reroll any dice (one time only) when you make a move by ambushing, hiding, or sneaking. On a weak hit, as above, but the shadows try to lead you astray. You must first Face Danger to find your way.
As above, and you may also travel along the hidden paths of the shadow realms to Undertake a Journey using +shadow (instead of +wits). If you do, Endure Stress (1 stress) and mark progress twice on a strong hit.

Progress

▥= 1 tick, ▦= 2 ticks, ▩= 3 ticks, = full

Vow: Investigate Dol Guldur (Extreme)
Failure:
Delve: Haunted Tanglewood (Troublesome)
Bonds:

Bond 1: Olwinne his wife
Bond 2: Rhosgobel villagers/friends
Bond 3: Idunn
Bond 4: Woodmen-town
Bond 5: Bróin/Vara
Experience: ◍ = have, = used

Completed Vows: Rescue the Missing Hunters (T), Deal with the Spiders (D), Defend the Woodmen (F)
Completed Scenes: Destroy the Spider Nest (F), Convince the Elvenking (D), Defend the Western Walls (T), Secure Hospitality (F)
Completed Combats: Boss Spider (F), Orc Warband (D), Stealthy Orc Infiltrators (T), Dagmar (D)
Completed Journeys: To Forest Gate (D), To Tyrant Hill (T)

Time: Morning, twelve days after setting out from Rhosgobel

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 0 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 4 | Supply: 3 | Uthred: 3 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 11]

At the dawning of the day, Idunn awakened to discover something that she had never thought possible in woods which lay so close to the blight of Dol Guldur. Somehow, the great tree had shared succour, not simply with her but with the lot of them, and a safe haven amidst the murky lands. Even Uthred seemed to sense it, and benefit from its effect: he was more spritely by the morn, and eager to lead them ever onwards.

Amazed, the huntress sought the wizard, and explanations that only he could have. But old Radagast was neither forthcoming nor too clear. At her insistent pestering and excitement, he offered only a few words. Elves had treaded here once, and though that was many mortal lifetimes ago, the land itself was immortal, and she remembered it and longed for their return. There was goodness here still, beneath the muck and the glooms and the twisted trees: it lay dormant, but it endured still, much like the old oak above them.

Radagast said no more. Amongst them all, he was the one least affected, and his joy at the sight of the tree was tempered by what he knew lay ahead. And also, he feared the lure of this place, which might cause them to linger ever longer... but such fears proved groundless. They knew their duty, and they knew that it was time to leave.

Idunn led the way again, as much as her strength and sight could afford it. In truth, everyone did their part: for they knew that they would soon reach the fens, and the orcs that guarded the passage.

OOC

Let me attempt another Delve the Depths +wits...

Edit: Mercifully, a strong hit. Mark progress & find an opportunity. I'll try to make another post tomorrow...

Haunted Tanglewood

Troublesome Delve

Day: 6 (out of maybe 7)

Progress: ■■■■■■■■■■

Name
Delve the Depths
1d6+3 4
Challenge Dice
2d10 3,2

spacer.png

(Art credit: Jan Marek)

Time: Midday, twelve days after setting out from Rhosgobel

As they continued their journey, they came across stunted and dead trees with increasing frequency. Many were leafless and naked, their blackened branches brittle and frail, stretching over them like skeletal hands devoid of flesh. Thus diminished, the canopy allowed for more light, but the penetrating rays did not make the grey forest look any cheerier.

The ground grew boggier too, and their feet seemed to sink deeper which each new step. On many occasions they came upon great pools, stagnant and foul-smelling, that forced them to detour around them. But the worst was catching sight of slithering serpents that lived near these waters. These creatures were long and slim and dark, and they could hide so well in the fens that by the time a member of the company had alerted the others, the snakes had vanished.

Then by midday they found new things to worry them: fresh orc-tracks, perfectly preserved in the muddy soil. A small war party must have passed through here, not long ago. Their path was clear, and so they could avoid it. But they were nearing their destination now, and could expect more orcs ahead.

OOC

Haunted Tanglewood

Troublesome Delve

Ok, so for the opportunity, let's say that the company discovers the tracks and can therefore avoid the patrol. One of us can Secure an Advantage +shadow and add +1 to their d6 (in addition to any other modifiers from assets, if applicable). On a hit, they can receive an extra +1 momentum.

I'll leave this for another party member that's better suited because of a higher shadow score, unless no-one else wants to make the roll.

spacer.png

Sighing, Bróin nods his head in agreement and helps pack away the fouled victuals. Loath as he is to bear the way of such poor fortune, there is wisdom in Idunn's words; any number of the Enemy's servants could be close by. It would not do to give them a trail in a place such as this.

And what a place it was! Disgusting bogs, foul vipers, and a bleak malaise hanging over all... wading through it all made Bróin yearn for the comforts of home. But as ever he kept such complaints to himself, not wanting to bring the company's morale down any lower than it already was thanks to this accursed forest.

Upon spying the fresh orc tracks, Bróin looks up to the tree Vara has perched herself upon. "Vara, can you scout ahead for us?"

"Aye. Could stand to spread my wings fully anyway now that the canopy has opened up." With that Vara takes flight ahead of the company to scout for any potential threats.

OOC

Current Momentum: +6

I'll take a crack at the Secure Advantage roll. +1 from the Raven Asset.

Yeesh, another weak hit. Still, that comes to +2 Momentum at least.

Meets it does not in fact beat it. So a Miss means no Momentum.

Oracle Result - Someone returns unexpectedly. An Orc patrol or Warg pack maybe?

As for the Make Camp results, I'll take Focus and Prepare.

Name
Challenge Dice
9; 7
1d10;1d10 [9]; [9,7]
Secure the Advantage + Shadow
1d6+5 2
Ask the Oracle
1d100 32

OOC

@Maester1216 I'm a bit confused-was that a Weak hit or a miss? If you rolled a 7 on the action die vs. 9 and 7 on the challenge dice, that should make it a miss, and that shouldn't give a momentum gain, but only a Pay the Price. Unless I'm missing something...

I'm good with the "someone returns unexpectedly" in the Pay the Price table and happy to work it into my next post.

For the make camp results, I think Prepare is of no mechanical use because it gives +1 on Undertake a journey rolls but here we're using a delve instead of a journey. Even if we house-ruled it to give a +1 to Delve the Depths it would give no benefit here, I think, since we're already at 10/10 progress. So feel free to take something else instead.

Let me know if I missed something; as soon as this is clarified I am happy to move us forward!

spacer.png

Idunn of Firienseld [Mom: 0 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 4 | Supply: 3 | Uthred: 3 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 11]

Vara's task proved a short one: before long she returned to the company with tidings. Orcs were indeed about the marshy forest, and a small patrol had managed to catch their scent. They were being followed, and would catch up with them soon, if they did not find some way to escape them.

They weighed their options. They could move forward as quickly as they could, and hope that they would not be outrun. They could hide, and hope to elude them. Or they could lay a trap for them, and ambush them at some place where they held the advantage. If they could end them, then no word of their passing should reach their kin...

OOC

Haunted Tanglewood

Troublesome Delve

Ok, I've outlined the options above. We could Face Danger +edge or +shadow for running or hiding, respectively, or we could Battle +any stat to fight them.

I'll leave this for a day in case folks want to post. If not, I may choose the latter option, and roll Battle +strength (4) with Idunn's warband/commander asset.