Year 2950: Secrets Buried

Vladim

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 3 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 2 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 7]

"Indeed." added Idunn, who was by temperament forthright, though not as simple-minded as to be entirely oblivious to the merits of discretion in their present predicament. But she pressed the matter, perhaps foolishly so.

"Strange sounds that brought, to my mind at least, that oath that was taken in the great moot, and of Mogdred's promise to the elders of the council about matters concerning the Toft. I trust that you remember it, lord Mogdred?"

OOC

She is trying to Secure an Advantage, probably with courage is the best fit. So I will roll +heart even though it is one of her low stats. If she scores a miss, the pay the price can be that she is excluded from the discussions that follow.

Edit: Weak hit. The advantage is short lived. +1 momentum.

Name
Secure an Advantage
1d6+1 5
Challenge Dice
2d10 9,3

spacer.pngThe words of the companions seemed to elicit no response from the lord of Tyrant's Hill. For a while he remained silent, quickly piecing together what had happened here. Then at length he spoke, but he turned to Dagmar first, his lieutenant.

"We shall speak of this again," he remarked coldly, adding: "...yet for now I must entertain these guests of yours."

The warrior-woman, still down on her knee, nodded submissively.

Then Mogdred turned to the company, and continued: "You want answers. I can provide. Let the three of you come with me; yet the rest of your company must remain here with the wizard. Come."

OOC

If it isn't clear for the IC, Mogdred wants to speak to the three PCs in private. This shouldn't come as a big surprise to the characters: Radagast and Mogdred do not like each other, as made plain by past interactions (played out off-screen). This is widely known and/or rumored, and should be IC knowledge.

What the characters do is up to them. Perhaps with a persuasive argument and a good roll they can change his mind: in that case, use Face Danger instead of Compel as I don't think Mogdred has anything to ask of the characters right now in case of a Weak hit. A miss will result in Mogdred flat out denying, and may cause complications during the later interaction.

unknown.png

Ed: 1 | He: 3 | Ir: 2 | Sh: 2 | Wi: 1

Mom: 5 (10/2) | Health: 2 | Spirit: 4 | Supply: 5
Tarric

Tarric looked to Radagast, then nodded reluctantly. He patted Olwinne's shoulder, also using the movement to straighten up from where he'd been leaning on her support.

"You must realize my lord, that whatever you tell us will likely be shared with our company when we return," he rumbled. "Yet I trust that there is some explanation for what we heard that will still support the oath. I will come to hear it."

The Beorning bent his head in acknowledgement and greeting to the unnamed elf, messenger of Mandos. Then his gaze returned to Mogdred and he held himself ready to follow the lord outside.

OOC/Mechanics

He will go along with this private talk... for now. Marked the combat with Dagmar as complete and removed the progress track.

Assets

Tarric and Olwinne both have +1 talisman vs orcs.

Berserker - (Combat Talent)
When you Secure an Advantage or Compel by embodying your wild nature, add +1, and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Strike or Clash by unleashing your rage (decide before rolling), inflict +1 harm on a hit. Then, choose one:
------ Push yourself: Endure Harm (1 harm)
------ Lose yourself: Endure Stress (1 stress)
When you Endure Harm in a fight, and your Health is above zero, you may let the pain inflame your wildness (decide before rolling). If you then score a strong hit and choose to embrace the pain, take +momentum equal to your remaining Health. A weak hit counts as a miss.

Wayfinder - (Path)
When you Undertake a Journey, take +1 momentum on a strong hit. If you burn momentum to improve your result, also take +1 momentum after reset.
When you Secure an Advantage or Gather Information by carefully surveying the landscape or scouting ahead, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Swear an Iron Vow to safely guide someone on a perilous journey, you may reroll any dice. When you Fulfill Your Vow and mark experience, take +1 experience.

Talisman - (Ritual)
When you fashion a charm, envision it and name the specific person or creature it protects against. Then roll +wits.
------ On a strong it, when the wearer opposes the target through a move, add +2. If a one is rolled on the action die while making a move using the charm, the magic is spent.
------ On a weak hit, as above, but the wearer adds +1 when making a move (instead of +2).
As above, and you may instead fashion a charm which aids the wearer against all supernatural threats, such as mystic rituals or horrors.
When you perform this ritual, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)
When you cloak yourself with the gossamer veil of the shadow realms, roll +shadow. On a strong hit, take +1 momentum. Then, reroll any dice (one time only) when you make a move by ambushing, hiding, or sneaking. On a weak hit, as above, but the shadows try to lead you astray. You must first Face Danger to find your way.
As above, and you may also travel along the hidden paths of the shadow realms to Undertake a Journey using +shadow (instead of +wits). If you do, Endure Stress (1 stress) and mark progress twice on a strong hit.

Progress

▥= 1 tick, ▦= 2 ticks, ▩= 3 ticks, = full

Vow: Investigate Dol Goldur (Extreme)
Failure:
Journey: To Tyrant's Hill (Troublesome)
Vow: Name (rank)
Vow: name (rank)
Bonds:

Bond 1: Olwinne his wife
Bond 2: Rhosgobel villagers/friends
Bond 3: Idunn
Bond 4: Woodmen-town
Bond 5: Bróin/Vara
Experience: ◍ = have, = used

Completed Vows: Rescue the Missing Hunters (T), Deal with the Spiders (D), Defend the Woodmen (F)
Completed Scenes: Destroy the Spider Nest (F), Convince the Elvenking (D), Defend the Western Walls (T), Secure Hospitality (F)
Completed Combats: Boss Spider (F), Orc Warband (D), Stealthy Orc Infiltrators (T), Dagmar (D)
Completed Journeys: To Forest Gate (D)

spacer.png"What you choose to do..." replied Mogdred "...may yet prove to depend on what you learn. You may wish to wait for your final decision."

The words, though strange, did not seem to contradict Tarric's intent or wishes. But as for the elf, he did not return the Beorning's greeting: he looked at his direction coldly, like a statue almost, and as if Tarric was not even present; as if there was nothing but empty space where he stood.

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 3 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 2 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 7]

"Then let us speak and be done with it." answered Idunn, lending her voice to Tarric's. She did not like these games, and nor did she understand the need for subterfuge. But it did not surprise her. Mogdred hated Radagast, and found him a nuisance. And that had not changed at all.

spacer.png

"Indeed, best we hear all sides of this tale before settling on a course of action." Bróin's tone was diplomatic, in contrast to Idunn's brusqueness. They had come far in spite of harsh words said and knuckles bloodied in a brawl; he had no intention of losing the whole thing to pride wounded by some slight, real or otherwise.

OOC

Current Momentum: +4

spacer.pngspacer.png"Wise counsel." said Mogdred plainly upon receiving Bróin's words, and he motioned to the three of them to come with him. As they looked back at Radagast and the rest of the Woodmen, they saw the Brown Wizard nod once in approval, not protesting about their departure or about being left behind. Perhaps he, too, realized that his presence could hinder any attempts at coming to an understanding.

They took the first few steps away from the gathering and towards the interior of Mogdred's village-though it was more fort than settlement. Like them, Mogdred too had left his followers behind, with Dagmar and the rest. All save one: the strange elf, who remained still by his side, though still as silent as a grave.

After a while, when they were outside of earshot from the others, Mogdred begun to speak again. He had promised answers, but in fact he begun with questions, probing for more information-though his demeanor was much more diplomatic than his lieutenant's. Whether due to courtesy or greater cunning, they did not know, but ill rumors in Rhosgobel and Black Tarn Hall spoke of him as a crafty, albeit capable, fellow.

"What brings you here, and in the company of the wizard? Journeying to the Sunstead? Or simply hunting? We do not get any hunters from Rhosgobel this much deep into the woods, and you cannot have become lost-not with Radagast in your company. Or do I guess wrongly?"

OOC

Feel free to RP this as you see fit. Because we already had a Scene Challenge and a fight, I am loathe to give this interaction a progress track or difficulty; instead, let's just use whatever moves make sense, if we want to engage any mechanics. Or we can simply RP it. If you do want to engage mechanics, I can suggest Secure an Advantage to gain some favor with Mogdred in this interaction (or lose it, in case of Misses). We can also try to learn from him what he knows about the goings-on in Southern Mirkwood (e.g., Gather Information). Compel should be used only if there's a chance he might want something in return from us, which may or may not be applicable (for some things, he may want us to keep secrets, but we'll see if anyone would accept that).

We can also cut through the small talk and try to confront him about the tower right away.

spacer.png

The time for circumspection and bush beating had passed by Bróin's reckoning, especially in light of theirs and Mogdred’s shared enemy. Perhaps his lordship might even consider rendering them aid in that regard; a bit of quid pro quo even? Ah but one thing at a time.

Bróin tells Mogdred the truth of their journey. Of what Radagast seeks in Dol Guldur and the movement of Shadow in the Wilderland. “You of all folk must see why we have undertaken this quest my Lord Mogdred. And that our cause is more common than you realize. In that regard… perhaps there may be some aid you can render us? Surely you must see and hear a great deal at the edge of these darkened woodlands.”

OOC

Current Momentum: +4

I’m gonna roll to Secure an Advantage with Heart.

Weak Hit, so +1 Momentum.

Edited by Maester1216 (see edit history)
Name
Challenge Dice
8; 3
1d10;1d10 [8]; [8,3]
Secure an Advantage
1d6+2 3

spacer.pngMogdred listened to the recounting of the full tale attentively, allowing Bróin to speak freely. When at last all had been told, he turned to look at his silent companion, as if one seeking for permission. The elf looked back at him and said nothing, yet that must have been sufficient response for the lord of Tyrant's Hill, who presently begun to speak.

"Indeed it is so. For there is much yet that your kin in Rhosgobel-Bofri and his followers-and their Woodmen allies did not witness after the battle. The orcs fell back after their defeat, yes, but they did not suffer a rout. They have returned to their stronghold in Fenbridge, and since spring my warriors have fought them in many a skirmish. But their mastery of the marshes is great, and we have not yet managed to dislodge them from the castle."

He paused for a moment. Those that looked into his eyes knew that he had seen much, and had more to say, but he suddenly turned to other matters, reluctant to discuss the orcs at length.

"So you stayed the night in Tyrant's Hill. That should not have been allowed. Our tower is a fort against the enemy, not a waystation or an inn. Once it was the northernmost outpost of the Necromancer; now it is the southernmost bastion of the Free Peoples. When you return to you and yours, promise me that you will make this matter clear to your folk. We can not afford to have travelers journeying this far into the woods. It is far too perilous, and not all are blessed with the friendship of a wizard."

He observed them all in turn, awaiting their response, and to Bróin at least it was clear that he was not yet prepared to answer his question, or speak of aid-at least, not without hearing first their answer.

OOC

Given the weak hit, I thought a minor complication fits. I assumed that Bróin recounted how they stayed the night-hopefully it was not unreasonable to do so. Mogdred is mildly unhappy about this, as evidenced by his response.

unknown.png

Ed: 1 | He: 3 | Ir: 2 | Sh: 2 | Wi: 1

Mom: 5 (10/2) | Health: 2 | Spirit: 4 | Supply: 5
Tarric

The Beorning shook his head. "I cannot agree with your reasoning there. Anyone coming this way are hardly casual travelers doing so for fun or sightseeing -- they would be either allies on their own missions such as we are, or foes. And why should the Tower not shelter allies? It does not harm your own work -- indeed if your goal is to protect the Free Peoples, I'd think it'd be easier to do so when they are within your walls rather than camping isolated and exposed outside because you turned them away."

He folded his arms, the movement reminding him of the fight with a sharp twinge that he quickly shook off. "Is there not strength in numbers? And if so, why not let ally numbers increase your own while they pass through? Turning them away also denies you their resources -- news from abroad, supplies, extra -- if temporary -- hands to aid in your work..." His voice rumbled more deeply at the thought of what seemed to him short-sightedness, of isolation and self-harm for the sake of some kind of pride.

Tarric sighed shallowly, newly cautious of his bruised middle. "But we are straying from the point, really. The Tower, lord Mogdred. I heard the sound of orcs inside. Dagmar's disgraceful behavior only made it look worse. You took certain oaths before the Moot. Can you reconcile this in some way that does not break those oaths?"

OOC/Mechanics

Stepping right in it, I suppose. Maybe the explanation can be Tarric's "lawful request" from winning the fight with Dagmar somehow?

Assets

Tarric and Olwinne both have +1 talisman vs orcs.

Berserker - (Combat Talent)
When you Secure an Advantage or Compel by embodying your wild nature, add +1, and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Strike or Clash by unleashing your rage (decide before rolling), inflict +1 harm on a hit. Then, choose one:
------ Push yourself: Endure Harm (1 harm)
------ Lose yourself: Endure Stress (1 stress)
When you Endure Harm in a fight, and your Health is above zero, you may let the pain inflame your wildness (decide before rolling). If you then score a strong hit and choose to embrace the pain, take +momentum equal to your remaining Health. A weak hit counts as a miss.

Wayfinder - (Path)
When you Undertake a Journey, take +1 momentum on a strong hit. If you burn momentum to improve your result, also take +1 momentum after reset.
When you Secure an Advantage or Gather Information by carefully surveying the landscape or scouting ahead, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Swear an Iron Vow to safely guide someone on a perilous journey, you may reroll any dice. When you Fulfill Your Vow and mark experience, take +1 experience.

Talisman - (Ritual)
When you fashion a charm, envision it and name the specific person or creature it protects against. Then roll +wits.
------ On a strong it, when the wearer opposes the target through a move, add +2. If a one is rolled on the action die while making a move using the charm, the magic is spent.
------ On a weak hit, as above, but the wearer adds +1 when making a move (instead of +2).
As above, and you may instead fashion a charm which aids the wearer against all supernatural threats, such as mystic rituals or horrors.

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)
When you cloak yourself with the gossamer veil of the shadow realms, roll +shadow. On a strong hit, take +1 momentum. Then, reroll any dice (one time only) when you make a move by ambushing, hiding, or sneaking. On a weak hit, as above, but the shadows try to lead you astray. You must first Face Danger to find your way.
As above, and you may also travel along the hidden paths of the shadow realms to Undertake a Journey using +shadow (instead of +wits). If you do, Endure Stress (1 stress) and mark progress twice on a strong hit.

Progress

▥= 1 tick, ▦= 2 ticks, ▩= 3 ticks, = full

Vow: Investigate Dol Goldur (Extreme)
Failure:
Journey: To Tyrant's Hill (Troublesome)
Vow: Name (rank)
Bonds:

Bond 1: Olwinne his wife
Bond 2: Rhosgobel villagers/friends
Bond 3: Idunn
Bond 4: Woodmen-town
Bond 5: Bróin/Vara
Experience: ◍ = have, = used

Completed Vows: Rescue the Missing Hunters (T), Deal with the Spiders (D), Defend the Woodmen (F)
Completed Scenes: Destroy the Spider Nest (F), Convince the Elvenking (D), Defend the Western Walls (T), Secure Hospitality (F)
Completed Combats: Boss Spider (F), Orc Warband (D), Stealthy Orc Infiltrators (T), Dagmar (D)
Completed Journeys: To Forest Gate (D)

spacer.png"I can." answered Mogdred plainly. "But the answer that I shall give might not please you or the wizard." He paused, and observed their reactions-but when no more words were spoken to him, he continued. "Yet you will have it, if you so wish.

You may have noticed that we returned from our hunt without a quarry. Yet our foray was not fully fruitless. Far from it. For the prey that we sought in these deep parts of the forest was not the buck or the boar, but the orc. We have already slain many of their foul ilk.

They are a cunning foe, and we do not attack them in the open. We make use of any and all advantage. And when we capture their kind, we seek to learn from them as much as we can before granting them death. Some amongst us spent many years in the dungeons of Dol Guldur, and have learned their foul tongue, and can use it when Common will not suffice."

He turned to Idunn, and added: "You need not worry about the oaths that were given. They are upheld still. If you doubt me, then go to the Toft yourself, and see it with your own eyes."

spacer.png

Bróin stroked his beard while Mogdred recounts his tale, his face impassive as the Lord of Tyrant's Hill speaks. When he had finished speaking the Dwarf nodded in understanding, his concern visibly assuaged. He silently chided himself for failing to even consider the possibility of prisoners

"The Orcs have done far worse for the simple pleasure of inflicting pain my lord. My father and his kin said as much after our war with the Orcs of the Misty Mountains, and for their sake - and those of the peoples of the North - I shant cast judgement on you and yours. Do what you must Lord Mogdred... but I counsel that you are not bereft of options."

Bróin thinks on his words for a moment before continuing. "If your wish is to be left alone then that message shall be spread upon our return. But as Tarric so eloquently put it, your battles against the Shadow in Mirkwood need not be waged alone. Even as we work to rebuild the Old Forest Road Bofri and my fellows can bring supplies from the Lonely Mountain and Dale to resupply you; we could even loan you capital to aid in developing Tyrant's Hill, or pay for dowries and bride price's if you seek alliances by marriage with the other Houses of the Woodmen. We all have a vested interest in your victories here my lord. I counsel you to make use of that fact."

The Dwarf rubs at his beard once more. "And if naught else do you take from me? Kill their Officers whenever you can. The orcs can't threaten you nearly as much while fighting amongst themselves to seize a position of power."

OOC

Current Momentum: +5

spacer.png"The sentiment is appreciated, master dwarf. And yet, though you shall not cast judgement, can you promise the same for others? For Radagast, or your companions?

Many amongst even my own old kin view us with suspicion. Even my father, Ingomer, will not speak to me. Others say behind our backs that we are harsh and hardened folk that live as outlaws. They only allow us to be their allies because they see, at least, our use for holding the orcs back.

Indeed, much of this is true. I cannot deny it. For only those that were held in the dungeons know at depth the vileness of the orcs and their masters... and their hatred for them makes them grim and ill-suited for life amongst softer folk."

spacer.png

"Outlaws you say? Then perhaps those amongst your old kin ill-disposed to such lives may find common cause with you. That could prove a source of great strength, both in strength of arms and political clout. It serves that fellow... Geirbald I believe? It serves him well enough. For my part at least I can work to spread the tale of your struggle and need, bringing more of Wilderland onside."

OOC

Current Momentum: +5

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 1 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 2 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 8]

For a while, Bróin and Mogdred spoke on. The huntress listened, waiting for a more opportune moment to speak something that had been on her mind since their arrival. Now the conversation had turned to the outlaws, and to Geirbald, whom the Woodmen called kinslayer. Idunn had spoken to him once: the kinslaying had been a tragic accident, and she could not imagine that Geirbald and Mogdred could have much common ground, other than being shunned by many of their own folk.

For his part though, Mogdred was courteous-courteous and cautious, Idunn thought, and much more measured than his boastful and cruel lieutenant, Dagmar. Idunn had heard the explanation about the orcs, and it seemed plausible enough, and yet something did not sit right with her. Perhaps she ought to undertake that journey to the Toft for herself, and see it with her own eyes-only then she would be fully convinced. But such a thing was easier said than done: her kin were unwelcome there, and viewed as enemies.

Suddenly she broke her silence. She could hide her thoughts no more. "This talk of alliances and of strengthening bonds must be had." she said at first, hesitating a little. "But I have counsel for you, if you will hear it. For I have wintered with Viglund to the North, and I have seen with my own eyes how a brave and honorable man, a great warrior and chieftain of his peoples, can turn to a ruthless tyrant. I shall shed no tears for the orcs, but I must warn you: cruelty breeds cruelty. Fruitless will your victories be, should you take that same path as the once mighty Viglund."

OOC

I don't think Mogdred would react particularly well to this kind of talk, so I'm thinking... more of a Face Danger +heart (courage on her part) than Secure an Advantage.

Edit: A miss. I'll take a hit to momentum (-2) and work a response into the narrative. Perhaps later today, or in a tiny bit. Stats updated.

Name
Face Danger
1d6+1 5
Challenge Dice
2d10 7,6