Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Year 2950: Secrets Buried

Vladim

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 2 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 4 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 5]

It was pleasant to be on the lake. It had been a long time since Idunn had last taken a boat here. Black Tarn reminded her of all that she liked about Lake-Town. She enjoyed the water, but did not think much of the hustle and bustle of the alleys and the pool-market of Esgaroth. This village, though smaller, was much more to her preferences. A mild, refreshing breeze passed by, and for a moment the summer heat did not feel so bad.

She quietly rowed along with her friends, eager to get to the open water. The oar was heavy, but the work, though strenuous, was nonetheless pleasant and satisfying. She knew that their task was pressing, but inwardly she hoped that they could linger on the lake for a little longer, so that she could fully enjoy its calm, reflecting waters. They looked inviting, and at times she almost wished for a short, refreshing swim.

OOC

Stats updated; need to roll that Face Danger +iron.

Edit: A weak hit. -1 momentum. Stats updated.

Name
Face Danger
1d6+2 5
Challenge Dice
2d10 10,3

spacer.png

Seating himself next to Fareth as the company took up rowing down the Dusky River, Bróin plies the scout for details on the Tower of Sorcery. "So tell me Swiftfoot, what news do you bring from the Heart of Mirkwood? Might there be aid we can call upon once we have Do Guldur in our sights? Or is this charge one to be born alone?"

OOC

I'll have Broin try that Gather Information roll.

Alrighty Strong Hit there, so another +2 Momentum which brings the total to +5. As for what we learn, maybe there are still Free Folk resisting the Enemy in the region around Dol Guldur?

Also got a Weak Hit for the rowing, so that -1 brings the total to +4.

Edited by Maester1216 (see edit history)
Name
Gather Information
1d6+2 6
Challenge Dice
2d10 3,4
Face Danger
1d6+1 5
roll
2d10 9,3

unknown.png

Ed: 1 | He: 3 | Ir: 2 | Sh: 2 | Wi: 1

Mom: 4 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 5 | Supply: 5
Tarric

Rowing was no hardship for the Beorning; nevertheless he found himself lingering over the duty. Traveling by boat was a novelty to Tarric, and much-different from his previous trip to Dol Guldur, which was a kindness. Nor was it unpleasant, at least not at the moment. The day was clear, the weather was fine, the scenery was beautiful to the eye, and his friends and Olwinne were with him. He fell into something of a trance, simply rowing along and enjoying the moment.

OOC/Mechanics

Per the weak hit in OOC for rowing, -1 momentum (now 4 momentum).

Assets

Tarric and Olwinne both have +1 talisman vs orcs.

Berserker - (Combat Talent)
When you Secure an Advantage or Compel by embodying your wild nature, add +1, and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Strike or Clash by unleashing your rage (decide before rolling), inflict +1 harm on a hit. Then, choose one:
------ Push yourself: Endure Harm (1 harm)
------ Lose yourself: Endure Stress (1 stress)
When you Endure Harm in a fight, and your Health is above zero, you may let the pain inflame your wildness (decide before rolling). If you then score a strong hit and choose to embrace the pain, take +momentum equal to your remaining Health. A weak hit counts as a miss.

Wayfinder - (Path)
When you Undertake a Journey, take +1 momentum on a strong hit. If you burn momentum to improve your result, also take +1 momentum after reset.
When you Secure an Advantage or Gather Information by carefully surveying the landscape or scouting ahead, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Swear an Iron Vow to safely guide someone on a perilous journey, you may reroll any dice. When you Fulfill Your Vow and mark experience, take +1 experience.

Talisman - (Ritual)
When you fashion a charm, envision it and name the specific person or creature it protects against. Then roll +wits.
------ On a strong it, when the wearer opposes the target through a move, add +2. If a one is rolled on the action die while making a move using the charm, the magic is spent.
------ On a weak hit, as above, but the wearer adds +1 when making a move (instead of +2).
As above, and you may instead fashion a charm which aids the wearer against all supernatural threats, such as mystic rituals or horrors.
When you perform this ritual, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)
When you cloak yourself with the gossamer veil of the shadow realms, roll +shadow. On a strong hit, take +1 momentum. Then, reroll any dice (one time only) when you make a move by ambushing, hiding, or sneaking. On a weak hit, as above, but the shadows try to lead you astray. You must first Face Danger to find your way.
As above, and you may also travel along the hidden paths of the shadow realms to Undertake a Journey using +shadow (instead of +wits). If you do, Endure Stress (1 stress) and mark progress twice on a strong hit.

Progress

▥= 1 tick, ▦= 2 ticks, ▩= 3 ticks, = full

Vow: Investigate Dol Goldur (Extreme)
Failure:
Vow: name (rank)
Bonds:

Bond 1: Olwinne his wife
Bond 2: Rhosgobel villagers/friends
Bond 3: Idunn
Bond 4: Woodmen-town
Bond 5: Bróin/Vara
Experience: ◍ = have, = used

Completed Vows: Rescue the Missing Hunters (T), Deal with the Spiders (D), Defend the Woodmen (F)
Completed Scenes: Destroy the Spider Nest (F), Convince the Elvenking (D), Defend the Western Walls (T)
Completed Combats: Boss Spider (F), Orc Warband (D), Stealthy Orc Infiltrators (T)
Completed Journeys: To Forest Gate (D)

spacer.pngFor a while they rowed together, propelling the boat towards the center of the lake, until after some minutes the village could be seen small at a distance. Bróin sat next to Fareth and spoke to her, asking her of tidings from the forest. The Woodswoman spoke as she rowed alongside the dwarf and the others, in a voice that all could hear.

"The strength of the orcs at Fenbridge is growing. Swiftly and silently you must go if you pass by that stronghold, for their outpost is no longer abandoned. The fens about that land are treacherous, though you have Master Radagast to guide you. But perhaps you will find aid in Tyrant's Hill: for Mogdred and his men have been fighting a bitter struggle against them, and now that they have been pushed back, they seek to contain them in their marshland. Though they are hard-hearted men, and few Woodmen find the folk of Tyrant's Hill to their liking."

She paused and gazed towards the forest stretching beyond the tarn for a while. At length she spoke of more tidings still, though such news would be perhaps of lesser use to the company.

"There's also talk of trouble at the Toft. For many years the folk of that village served the Necromancer, bending the knee and sending him thralls and tribute. But now that Dol Guldur stands masterless, the village is friendless, and there are many amongst the Woodmen who speak of war and vengeance to be had. Long have old debts remained unpaid.

Old Vidugalum is still chief there, but he grows older with each passing year. Now his alliance with Mogdred has been broken, and he thus stands alone, and his grip grows ever more tenuous. I wonder how long it will be until the Houses of the Woodmen decide to take action..."

spacer.pngShe turned to look towards Radagast. The Brown Wizard stood at the back of the boat, holding in one hand the tiller and the other his oaken staff. But he did not reply to Fareth's words: he simply grumbled quietly, saying something inaudible to the wind.

"You can stop rowing." he instructed them instead.

Soon many oars were pulled from the waters and returned to the boat, and a great brown sail was raised high: it billowed in the wind, making the remainder of their journey effortless.

As they continued journeying across the waters, the wizard spoke of Dol Guldur, reminding them of its ancient history. Some tales were old and some were new, and not all amongst the company knew them in full, though there were many grim legends surrounding that place of evil.

It had not been always so. In ages past it had been called Amon Lanc, the great capital of the ancient Woodland Realm, where the forest-elves dwelled. Oropher, Thranduil's father, had once ruled his kingdom from there, from a great fortress that stood upon the hill. But the wizard spoke of his demise in a great battle, many eons ago, and how Thranduil had chosen to abandon Amon Lanc in the aftermath. Then many centuries passed, a shadow crept quietly within the forgotten ruin: a power that the Woodmen came to call the Necromancer. They gave the place a new name: Dol Guldur, or the Hill of Sorcery. For many years a great evil emanating from within it was threatening to overcome the Woodmen and all of Mirkwood. But then, less than a decade ago, a council of the wise and powerful chose to act and evil was banished.

"But even the very wise sometimes fail to see the end of all things. Something rotten might have been left to fester in the forest. With luck, we will get to the bottom of it... though it will be a long and perilous journey."

OOC

Alright, this is just an info-dump, but I'll just stop here in case folks want to RP.

I took Maester's suggestion for that strong hit, so perhaps with some luck we can find support in Tyrant's Hill, from Mogdred's men. These are the people resisting Dol Guldur, though whether they help us or not is to be seen.

I've also added as a secondary twist the info about the Toft. That village is outside the forest, so it will perhaps not play a big role in this adventure, though we could develop it into a new adventure in the future. This location is not given any modules or much info in the TOR groups, so we could take an Ironsworn approach about it and play to find out what happens.

spacer.png

Bróin focuses on Fareth's tale, concern rising as she speaks about the increasing power of the orcs at Fenbridge. The region it seemed was becoming far more dangerous than he had ever presumed; perhaps Tyrant's Hill would be a valuable stopover on their journey? Truth be told the dwarf had never had the opportunity to do business with Mogdred and his followers. Such a visit may be in the best interest of the whole of Wilderland, given the Swiftfoot's account of things.

The word from the Toft was even less mollifying. "They would chance the loss of the largest town in the Nether Vales, a key artery of trade coming up the Anduin, on revenge? I certainly hope wiser heads prevail, elsewise the Houses are liable to do more harm than good."

OOC

Current Moment: +4

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 2 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 4 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 5]

Upon hearing the dwarf speak, the huntress turned her attention away from the shimmering summer sun reflected in the shifting waters. Perhaps her companion did not know in full the history of her folk, or their customs, but it was her duty to remedy this and put such misconceptions to rights.

"My folk will not forget it." she explained, and added: "...for though we might not be as long-lived as dwarves, we have nonetheless memories that stretch for far beyond a mere decade.

Old Vidugalum colluded with the Enemy for many years. When the Necromancer fled, the old chieftain turned to Mogdred, and bought orc-thralls from him: many of them, that even to this day he uses as hired muscle to assert his strength. So I have been told by those who know of this matter."

She paused to look at her Woodmen companions; Beran nodded at her words, confirming the tales. Then she continued.

"I made Mogdred swear an oath to stop his business with Vidugalum if he wished to be accepted amongst the Woodmen in the last great folk-moot of my peoples. He accepted, but Vidugalum still holds on to his power, and to what thralls he has already. I do not know what other peoples trade with the Toft, but I can assure you that none of my kinsfolk would give him gold or accept it from him, no matter how much he offered.

Any treaty with the Toft would be terrible treason amongst the Woodmen. At least while Vidugalum lives yet."

OOC

This is just some RP, but if folks like this adventure seed, we can further develop it in the longer-term future. I think I am confident enough now with Ironsworn and with sandbox play to try it with the standard "play to find out" Ironsworn/PbtA-style approach. We don't really need to stick solely to published modules.

spacer.png

Bróin strokes his beard as Idunn explains the Woodmen's perspective on the matter of the Toft. Taking orcs into his service did not warm Bróin to old Vidugalum or his cause, but compromise in the face of the Shadow could be seen as something of a lesser evil; after all resistance and defiance would likely have led the orcs to raze the town to its very foundations, and the whole of Vidugalum's people would have been enslaved. Would Bróin have done the same in his position? He hoped such circumstances never came upon him.

"I see. And should Vidugalum pass, what then? Would the Houses welcome the Toft back into the fold? I echo my previous point on the town's strategic position... as well as its proximity to lands touched by the Shadow. I trust you see my point Idunn? See why I caution patience and pragmatism over settling old wrongs. Because there comes a time when it no longer matters who drew first blood in a feud my dear. Only who is suffering because of it."

OOC

The huntress listened quietly. She showed no outward reaction to the dwarf's words, neither good nor ill. Yet when Bróin had said all that he wished to, she responded readily.

"I have told you all that my folk would think of it. Perhaps by clever words you may yet convince some to see things your way. But since you ask for my own opinion, I will speak... though my words you may not like."

She took a deep breath, and though she continued rowing as she spoke on, her words became gruffer: forthright yet more abrupt.

"The Toft has never sought to send emissaries to our moots. And nor have they shown any remorse or willingness to mend old wrongs. I cannot speak of the things that transpire behind their tall walls, for I know little of them. Yet while Vidugalum remains their chief, how can we trust them?"

OOC

I don't mind a bit of character conflict so for me this chat is cool. Just making it clear so that everyone knows 🙂

Idunn fell quiet when neither Bróin nor any other of her companions spoke in response to her words. She took their silence for agreement, but perhaps in this she was mistaken, as her stubborn and strong-headed nature made it difficult to see things from an alternative viewpoint. Perhaps it would have been possible to keep an open mind in other matters, but not in this: not when it came to an evil man like Vidugalum.

The talk of the Toft and the disagreement, however minor, left the huntress with a strange feeling, and she held her tongue for the rest of the journey, keeping her thoughts to herself. The gentle wind filled the brown sail and carried them slowly through the calm, dark waters in a leisurely fashion. The rest of the Woodmen spoke much more than Idunn, seeking to make the time pass more easily.

By the late evening, when the sun was westering, they reached the southern shores of the Black Tarn. There they disembarked, the shallows not hindering the beaching of the boat despite the size of its great hull, in a site where reeds grew in abundance. Trees that cast long shadows awaited them at the distance, but for a few paces about them there were none. It was as if the forest had decided to halt its advance before the edge of the waters, and now there was an uneasy truce between lake and trees.

spacer.pngAs soon as they set foot on solid ground, clouds of midges greeted them as if they were long-lost, but long-expected friends. Their tender affections soon proved most unwelcome for all members of the company save Radagast, who seemed not to mind them at all. The wizard took up his oaken staff again and readjusted the big brown hat on his head, and quickly begun to instruct them.

"Make camp for the night, but do not go into the forest yet. I will go and seek the river-maiden, and return on the morrow at the latest. Sooner if I can."

He pointed towards a green hillock at the distance.

"None need accompany me. Stay near the shores, and make yourselves ready to set out by daybreak. I will learn all that I can until then."

OOC

Feel free to roll for moves like Secure an Advantage (to find a good spot), Aid your Ally (to help someone else do it), or Make Camp (only one of us should roll the latter). If you want to follow Radagast, despite his warnings, you can attempt a Face Danger +shadow. A Compel will not work on him yet, but if you fail following him stealthily, you can try to change his mind at that point (with another move-not sure if Compel will be most appropriate). I am ok with briefly splitting the party at this point.

Good luck!

unknown.png

Mom: 7 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 5 | Supply: 5
Tarric

Tarric had listened to the conversations along the way without comment. On the subject of the Toft, he felt more in accord with Idunn than Bróin, in that those who had neither offered help nor asked for it deserved none. It sounded as if that place would be out of their current quest's path regardless though, and so he put it from his mind.

Landing upon the shore was an impetus to start taking action again. Such was his faith in Radagast that he did not bat an eye at the brown wizard doing reconnaissance on his own. Instead he set to finding the best possible location for the night's camp. Preferably somewhere away from the blasted midges. He slapped at them irritably as he worked.

OOC/Mechanics

Rolling for Secure an Advantage to find the most advantageous camping spot and start setting it up. Using +wits as this is his experience/expertise and observation performing the task. I think his Wayfinder asset may help here, so adding +1 for that as well.

Result: Strong Hit -- Prepare to Act, take +2 momentum, +1 more momentum for the Wayfinder asset. That puts Tarric at 7/10 momentum (updated).

Assets

When you Secure an Advantage or Compel by embodying your wild nature, add +1, and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Strike or Clash by unleashing your rage (decide before rolling), inflict +1 harm on a hit. Then, choose one:
When you Endure Harm in a fight, and your Health is above zero, you may let the pain inflame your wildness (decide before rolling). If you then score a strong hit and choose to embrace the pain, take +momentum equal to your remaining Health. A weak hit counts as a miss.

Wayfinder - (Path)
When you Undertake a Journey, take +1 momentum on a strong hit. If you burn momentum to improve your result, also take +1 momentum after reset.
When you Secure an Advantage or Gather Information by carefully surveying the landscape or scouting ahead, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Swear an Iron Vow to safely guide someone on a perilous journey, you may reroll any dice. When you Fulfill Your Vow and mark experience, take +1 experience.

Talisman - (Ritual)
When you fashion a charm, envision it and name the specific person or creature it protects against. Then roll +wits.
------ On a strong it, when the wearer opposes the target through a move, add +2. If a one is rolled on the action die while making a move using the charm, the magic is spent.
------ On a weak hit, as above, but the wearer adds +1 when making a move (instead of +2).
As above, and you may instead fashion a charm which aids the wearer against all supernatural threats, such as mystic rituals or horrors.

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)
When you cloak yourself with the gossamer veil of the shadow realms, roll +shadow. On a strong hit, take +1 momentum. Then, reroll any dice (one time only) when you make a move by ambushing, hiding, or sneaking. On a weak hit, as above, but the shadows try to lead you astray. You must first Face Danger to find your way.
As above, and you may also travel along the hidden paths of the shadow realms to Undertake a Journey using +shadow (instead of +wits). If you do, Endure Stress (1 stress) and mark progress twice on a strong hit.

Progress

Failure:
Bonds:

Completed Vows: Rescue the Missing Hunters (T), Deal with the Spiders (D), Defend the Woodmen (F)
Completed Scenes: Destroy the Spider Nest (F), Convince the Elvenking (D), Defend the Western Walls (T)
Completed Combats: Boss Spider (F), Orc Warband (D), Stealthy Orc Infiltrators (T)

Edited by BlueTrillium (see edit history)
Name
Secure an Advantage
1d6+2 6
Challenge Dice
7; 2
1d10;1d10 [7]; [7,2]

spacer.png

Bróin is silent as he reflects upon Idunn's words, seeing plain as day that this was a point of particular contention for her. Even still he saw a sliver of opportunity in her words; should Vidugalum be removed from his seat, naturally or otherwise, then whomever succeeds him has some measure of a chance at renewing relations with the rest of the Woodmen. Such a person would benefit a great deal from the guidance of a well-travelled Dwarf such as Bróin... and heap rewards and privileges upon the one who aided them as well.

Swatting away at the midges as he stepped off of the boat, Bróin follows after Tarric as the Beorning scouts out a location to bunker down for the night. When a location is found the old Dwarf oversees the unpacking and set-up of the camp for the night. He appreciated the work. Administration and logistics was straightforward and uncomplicated, and right now he needed something to focus on ahead of such a dark journey.

With his attention elsewhere however, Bróin doesn’t notice that Vara has flown off after Radagast…

OOC

I'll have a go at the Make Camp roll.

A Weak Hit, so we each get to pick one from the Make Camp list. Bróin'll take Focus(+1 Momentum).

Edited by Maester1216 (see edit history)
Name
Make Camp
1d6+5 4
Challenge Dice
5; 10
1d10;1d10 [5]; [5,10]
Face Danger - Shadow
1d6+3 4
Challenge Dice
2; 4
1d10;1d10 [2]; [2,4]

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 3 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 4 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 4 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 5]

As soon as they made landfall, the huntress got to work, unloading provisions as required. Radagast's reluctance to be accompanied by another made her hesitate, but she knew that the wizard was stubborn and set in his ways: there was no chance for her to change his mind. Thus she set about doing the necessary preparations, concerned and yet begrudgingly accepting of the Brown Wizard's plan. But her companions were ahead of her: Tarric quickly found a favorable spot, and Bróin soon made camp.

With these tasks already being handled, Idunn set out in search of firewood, collecting what dry branches she could find by the edge of the forest. Even though it was summer, the smoke would perhaps discourage the ever-hungry insects, even if the light would attract them... but even more importantly, it would provide a beacon for the wizard. When her task was completed, she was determine to take first watch, and sit by the flames, and perhaps take heart in the quiet solitude.

OOC

For Idunn, I'll try to first Secure an Advantage +wits by making a good fire.

Edit: Weak hit. +1 momentum. For the Weak hit on Make Camp, she'll take Relax (+1 Spirit). Stats updated.

I'll see if I can advance the story a bit tomorrow or in the next few days.

Name
Secure an Advantage
1d6+3 5
Challenge Dice
2d10 1,9

Scene 3: To Tyrant's Hill

The next morning...

spacer.pngspacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 3 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 4 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 4 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 5]

The huntress sat by the fading embers, stirring them idly with a long stick to while away the minutes. The night had come and gone without perils, unless one counted the insects, but also without any new tidings. And still the Brown Wizard had not returned. She was starting to grow worried, and so did her fellow Woodmen.

Only Bróin knew, well before the others, some of what had happened in the night. Vara came and went as she pleased, and she had flown after Radagast and followed him, and had eavesdropped on his conversations. The river-maiden had told him of troubles: spiders were stirring in the forest, and those of the spawn of Shelob who could now ventured further from their lairs and webs. Their own spawn dared not repeat the feat that they had attempted in the months of the spring that had just passed, and for now kept away from the Woodmen. But the river-maiden had also seen Marsh-Dwellers in the eastern shores of the Black Tarn. She assured the wizard that their numbers were few, and that they did not yet threaten the Woodmen, but Radagast had seemed unsure. All this Vara reported to her dwarven friend.

spacer.pngBeran, who knew the land well, unfurled a map and placed it at the center of their encampment, upon an old crate that had been taken from the boat. He gathered the others about him, and reminded them of the landmarks and their destinations. Next stop would be Tyrant's Hill, where Mogdred ruled as chieftain. They would have to journey through the Narrows of Mirkwood: an unpleasant part of Mirkwood, but it paled in comparison to what would follow: the woods surrounding Dol Guldur.

Just then, the wizard arrived, catching them almost by surprise. "I have spoken to the river-maiden." he remarked. "Something is stirring in the south. We must investigate. Let us set out at once." Cryptic words, but the wizard often spoke like this.

OOC

Ok, so we have taken Radagast to the River-Maiden, and he has spoken with her. I think this counts as reaching a milestone in our vow.

Investigate Dol Guldur (Extreme): ▥□□□□□□□□□

Next, I want to outline a rough structure for the next milestones:

First, the journey to Tyrant's Hill, which should only be Troublesome, because we have Radagast with us. I've labelled key locations on the map. Anyone who wants to make the Undertake a Journey move can roll. Also, if anyone wants to get any info from Radagast, please feel free.

Then, other developments can function as milestones, like speaking to the folk of Tyrant's Hill and learning useful information, journeying to the fens around Fenbridge, overcoming the perils of the castle, delving into the forest, facing various challenges like corruption and delving into Dol Guldur itself. This gives as at least 8 milestones to work with (progress 4), and we can come up with more as we proceed, so rolling to resolve the vow at the end of the adventure shouldn't feel completely hopeless or pointless.

unknown.png

Mom: 8 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 5 | Supply: 5
Tarric

The Beorning welcomed the distraction of Beran's map that morning. Radagast could take care of himself, he knew, but it was still unnerving to sit idly by and wait for unknown amounts of time. At least looking at the map would keep him from pacing like... well like a caged bear. Which is what he'd been doing beforehand.

Tarric stared at Dol Guldur on the map. It took up a disproportionately large area, both on paper and in his mind. But they had to get there first. He tried to consider anything that might be useful for their next leg through the Narrows.

"Radagast!" he said gladly when the wizard appeared suddenly and at last. "Something? What did the River Maidens say?"

OOC/Mechanics

Tarric will also snag Focus (+1 momentum) from Bróin's Make Camp roll. (updated stats)

Rolling for Gather Information +wits to try and convince Radagast to spill more details. Though I've got Tarric marked as having a bond with Rhosgobel, I'm not sure that's enough to give a bonus with Radagast? So I'll leave that +1 off. Easy enough to add it back in if you think otherwise.

Result: Miss -- Well even if we did add a +1 for bond, that would still be a Miss. So that information reveals a dire threat or an unwelcome truth that undermines (at least Tarric) the quest. Pay the Price. Hm. Will need to discuss whatever the price is. Though asking Radagast questions I assume is low-risk so the price should also be pretty low? xD depending on the bad news, maybe it's just Tarric is disheartened or feels chastened.

Assets

Wayfinder - (Path)

Talisman - (Ritual)

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)

Progress

Failure:
Bonds:

Edited by BlueTrillium (see edit history)
Name
Gather Information (+ wits)
1d6+1 3
Challenge Dice
6; 9
1d10;1d10 [6]; [6,9]

spacer.png"Dire tidings." said Radagast with a sigh. "I need not say more; what it is, it is, and we will soon know more about the nature of it, when we see things with our own eyes."

Riddles again, but he seemed reluctant to say more for a while. But he was not the only one that could be stubborn; Tarric stared at him, and refused to leave, and at length the wizard relented.

"Spiders in the forest, and marsh-dwellers by the shores. They have not been seen there for many years! The river-maidens are not afraid of them, and Duskwater..." (for that was the name of the eldest amongst them, though it was seldom spoken) "...promises to keep them away from Black Tarn Hall. But..."

He paused and fell silent, and for a while seemed lost in thought. When he next spoke, his voice was full of worry, and he said things quietly as the company gathered around him.

"...evil does not move like this without cause. There is some hidden hand behind this. If this is the work of Dol Guldur, or the Necromancer..."

Again, he fell quiet, but he did not continue to speak, not even after a long pause, and thus at length the company returned to their tasks. But the name of that dark place stirred hazy, half-forgotten memories within Tarric-as if they were a distant dream. The details had faded long ago, but now he remembered scenes and fragments: an ill omen for days ahead.

OOC

Based on our brief Discord chat, I wanted to give you some options @BlueTrillium for that miss, but I wanted to keep it open-ended and try not to assume too much about Tarric, so I hope that this works for you. You can determine the details as you wish; it doesn't even have to be about him, but could be something about Olwynne or even another companion. Or some superstition or old memory or nightmare. Whatever it is, mechanically you can choose from the following options:

• Tarric didn't sleep well-perhaps he was tormented by nightmares he now half-remembers, or an old memory, or concern for Olwynne, anything really. Endure Harm (-1 Health).
  • Something stresses him out: an ill omen, bad memory, concern, nightmare, old tale, anything, really. Endure Stress (-1 Spirit).
  • A combination of the above, or something else of your own invention, mechanically represented as -1 Momentum.
  • Something else you want to come up with.