Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Year 2950: Secrets Buried

Vladim

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 4 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 4 | Supply: 3 | Uthred: 4 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 6]

Dagmar's words did little to mitigate Idunn's growing irritation. Certainly, the strains of the journey that had brought her here did not help in this matter. Nor did the sudden dashing of her hopes-reasonable she thought-that they would be able to rest and recuperate here, at least for a few hours.

She took a deep breath to calm herself. This Dagmar was stiff-necked, stubborn and recalcitrant, but it would do no good to lose her temper here, in front of her and all the others. She needed to control her impatience.

"We only seek hospitality, I assure you. This I can swear, if it puts you at ease. Can we not simply wait inside for the return of your master? As my friend has said already, we are friends and allies, and we fought by Mogdred in Rhosgobel not long ago."

OOC

Ok, it's a logical argument, I think, so I'll roll Face Danger +wits.

Edit: Miss. The dice are not with us. I'll think of an appropriate Pay the Price. Adding 1 to fails... done!

Secure Hospitality

(Formidable Scene Challenge)

Progress: ■□□□□□□□□□

Countdown: ■■□□

Name
Face Danger
1d6+3 1
Challenge Dice
2d10 9,10

spacer.png"So I've heard." answered Dagmar plainly. "So I've heard."

"But I have my orders. And besides: you come with the Brown Wizard, and it is well-known to us that troubles and ill favor always travel with him. Call it superstition if you will, but there are many that would rather not see him stop here for any length of time."

At this Radagast stirred, and looked to the woman with signs of growing frustration. He held his tongue-for now-but this Dagmar was proving a tough nut to crack.

OOC

I haven't forgotten about Idunn's PtP-it'll come in her next POV post.

unknown.png

Ed: 1 | He: 3 | Ir: 2 | Sh: 2 | Wi: 1

Mom: 8 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 4 | Supply: 3
Tarric

"I would say, rather, that Master Radagast travels to where the trouble is, to provide his valuable aid against it," Tarric spoke up stiffly, stung at the (not-so-)implicit insult to the wizard. "As we are doing now. I would hope Mogdred would agree, having witnessed that help first-hand at Rhosgobel."

"But it is clear that words are not enough," he continued. "What if we sent some of our number to help with Mogdred's hunt? He could return more quickly, and with greater spoils. Perhaps we will have earned our welcome then?"

OOC/Mechanics

Realized thanks to the comments above that I have not added to the fail track since we moved to Baldr, oops. Added three Talisman fails from page 1, and one other fail from a missed Gather Information on page 2. Failure track is now at 4.5/10. (Let me know if the Talisman fails don't count, and I'll take them back out.)

Also updated the current Scene Challenge progress with the previous posts so far (progress 1, countdown 2)

Let's call this a... hm. Compel, I suppose, with... heart I think, since Tarric is stung and reacting. He's trying to convince, not intimidate/incite... for now. And we got... a Weak Hit. So we make progress (added 1 more to that track, for progress 2/10 now) but there is some small complication or delay so we also mark a countdown (now 3/4).

Assets

Tarric and Olwinne both have +1 talisman vs orcs.

Berserker - (Combat Talent)
When you Secure an Advantage or Compel by embodying your wild nature, add +1, and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Strike or Clash by unleashing your rage (decide before rolling), inflict +1 harm on a hit. Then, choose one:
------ Push yourself: Endure Harm (1 harm)
------ Lose yourself: Endure Stress (1 stress)
When you Endure Harm in a fight, and your Health is above zero, you may let the pain inflame your wildness (decide before rolling). If you then score a strong hit and choose to embrace the pain, take +momentum equal to your remaining Health. A weak hit counts as a miss.

Wayfinder - (Path)
When you Undertake a Journey, take +1 momentum on a strong hit. If you burn momentum to improve your result, also take +1 momentum after reset.
When you Secure an Advantage or Gather Information by carefully surveying the landscape or scouting ahead, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Swear an Iron Vow to safely guide someone on a perilous journey, you may reroll any dice. When you Fulfill Your Vow and mark experience, take +1 experience.

Talisman - (Ritual)
When you fashion a charm, envision it and name the specific person or creature it protects against. Then roll +wits.
------ On a strong it, when the wearer opposes the target through a move, add +2. If a one is rolled on the action die while making a move using the charm, the magic is spent.
------ On a weak hit, as above, but the wearer adds +1 when making a move (instead of +2).
As above, and you may instead fashion a charm which aids the wearer against all supernatural threats, such as mystic rituals or horrors.
When you perform this ritual, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)
When you cloak yourself with the gossamer veil of the shadow realms, roll +shadow. On a strong hit, take +1 momentum. Then, reroll any dice (one time only) when you make a move by ambushing, hiding, or sneaking. On a weak hit, as above, but the shadows try to lead you astray. You must first Face Danger to find your way.
As above, and you may also travel along the hidden paths of the shadow realms to Undertake a Journey using +shadow (instead of +wits). If you do, Endure Stress (1 stress) and mark progress twice on a strong hit.

Progress

▥= 1 tick, ▦= 2 ticks, ▩= 3 ticks, = full

Vow: Investigate Dol Goldur (Extreme)
Failure:
Journey: To Tyrant's Hill (Troublesome)
Scene: Secure Hospitality (Formidable)

Countdown: 3/4
Vow: name (rank)
Bonds:

Bond 1: Olwinne his wife
Bond 2: Rhosgobel villagers/friends
Bond 3: Idunn
Bond 4: Woodmen-town
Bond 5: Bróin/Vara
Experience: ◍ = have, = used

Completed Vows: Rescue the Missing Hunters (T), Deal with the Spiders (D), Defend the Woodmen (F)
Completed Scenes: Destroy the Spider Nest (F), Convince the Elvenking (D), Defend the Western Walls (T)
Completed Combats: Boss Spider (F), Orc Warband (D), Stealthy Orc Infiltrators (T)
Completed Journeys: To Forest Gate (D)

Edited by BlueTrillium (see edit history)
Name
Compel with heart
1d6+3 3
vs Challenge Dice
5; 8
1d10;1d10 [5]; [5,8]

spacer.pngspacer.png"Maybe." answered Dagmar. "Certainly, if my lord allows it, I shall not stand in his way-or yours.

But if you intend to join him in his hunt, then I wish you good luck in finding him. He left yesterday, and he could be anywhere by now. If by some chance you manage to stumble upon his hunting-grounds, then it is he who will find you first, I reckon."

Upon hearing such words, Radagast begun to stir, indicating that he was ready to go. Most of the others begun to follow suit, but one of the Woodmen, the bowman called Evoric, would not leave without having some sort of last word or complaint.

"News of your hospitality will travel far. Tell Mogdred when he is back: he must mend his manners if Tyrant's Hill is to be counted amongst the Houses of the Woodmen."

OOC

Maybe the minor complication is that Evoric speaks up, and perhaps slightly offends these people (though they are already rather unfriendly, so... doesn't matter too much.

Secure Hospitality

Progress: ■■□□□□□□□□

Countdown: ■■■□

At this point, if anyone wants to make the final (desperate) arguments or have the last say, please feel free (and, if you want, you can choose to resolve the Scene Challenge after that, though we probably won't be scoring a hit). I'll leave it open and if no-one responds in a couple of days, I'll have Idunn do it.

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 4 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 3 | Uthred: 4 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 6]

"Indeed." added Idunn sternly, recognising defeat when she saw it. "Rhosgobel will hear of this. As will Black Tarn Hall. Come, Evoric. Let us go."

She cast Dagmar a long and bitter gaze. The warrior-woman stared back at her, refusing to look away; clearly, she felt no shame or remorse for turning them down, and Idunn did not expect her to.

The huntress contemplated the journey that now lay before them. Without rest or respite, she dreaded that which would surely come: the depths of Mirkwood, and at journey's end Dol Guldur. But she had no other option now.

OOC

I'll attempt a final Hail Mary, a Compel +iron (implicit threat) to change Dagmar's mind. Let's see how it goes...

Edit: A weak hit. Marking progress and countdown. Then it's time to resolve the scene challenge.

Edit 2: Weak hit. You succeed, but not without a minor cost. Pay the Price. Hm... I'll need to think on that. Maybe Endure Stress (-1 Spirit)?

Edit 3: Weak hit. She presses on. Stats updated.

Secure Hospitality

Progress: ■■■□□□□□□□

Countdown: ■■■■

Name
Compel
1d6+2 1
Challenge Dice
2d10 2,6
Resolve Scene Challenge
2d10 6,1
Endure Stress
1d6+3 2
Challenge Dice
2d10 5,3

spacer.png

Bróin rather visibly shakes his head in consternation at Evoric's outburst, but otherwise maintains his composure in the face of this setback. Especially with the loss of such wealth in his own diplomatic overtures; he told himself that they would pay dividends in time, but that was a poor salve for his wounded mood in light of everything else. Still, complaining about it would not change his state of affairs, nor help the party. The Dwarf falls into silence as the company is cast back into the wilds by the House of Mogdred.

OOC

Current Momentum: +5

The whole ordeal is evidently very Stressful to Bróin. He takes -3 Spirit, which puts him at 0.

Edited by Maester1216 (see edit history)
Name
Pay the Price
1d100 71

spacer.pngThey had only taken a few dozen steps when the warrior-woman addressed them again. At first, it might have seemed to some that she would not allow them to depart without challenging them or responding to their hardly-veiled threat in kind. Surprisingly, that was not her intent.

"Wait." she said to them-her voice still as it had been before, cold and lacking any remorse. "Mogdred is away, but perhaps he too would like to speak to you when he returns. There is no house to stay, and you cannot enter the tower... but if you are content to sleep in the stables, then perhaps you can wait for him there."

OOC

Ok, so this is the option we have-if we stay here, then there's some additional actions we can take, which may help with recovery or might even allow us to fill some more progress boxes on the vow. For example:

_The Sojourn move.

_Social moves like Compel or Gather Information to perhaps learn things from folk that are inclined to help us, like the aforementioned Ragnacar, for example, whom Tarric knows.

_Sneaky moves like Face Danger or Secure an Advantage (probably the former is better) to sneak in the tower or move about quietly in the night and try to learn more things about Tyrant's Hill and the dangers that lie ahead.

For every night that passes, I'll roll an Ask the Oracle to see if Mogred returns, starting from 50/50 and then increasing the odds on subsequent nights. This part of the adventure is not scripted, so we can use the Ironsworn Oracles (e.g. Action/Theme etc.) to flesh out the place and whatever we discover.

We can start with one post and one move from each PC.

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 4 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 3 | Uthred: 4 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 6]

The huntress did not speak in response at once; inwardly she was struggling between their options. On the one hand, it was difficult not to see the offer as an insult; but on the other, any respite would be a welcome one. She looked to her Woodmen kindred, who were also silent, each one of them unwilling to be the first to speak.

"The folk of Tyrant's Hill received much better from us in Rhosgobel, not long ago." she said at length. "Your lord remembers it; when he returns, I will make certain to mend this misunderstanding. But I cannot accept your offer for my companions: they must choose or reject it as their own honor dictates."

unknown.png

Mom: 9 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 4 | Supply: 3
Tarric

"'Content' is not what I would say, but if we wish to speak to Mogdred about our path forward, it seems we have no choice," Tarric said. "I will stay if the rest of you shall." Olwinne nearby him nodded in agreement, a thoughtful look on her face, as the Beorning scanned the faces of the rest of their comrades and Radagast himself to see how they felt about his words.

"And I hope despite the location, some past comrades might find time to share our company." Here he glanced at Ragnacar and the other members of Dagmar's group.

OOC/Mechanics

Updated Progress to mark the Scene Challenge as complete.

Assuming the group does decide to stay, Tarric will indeed seek out Ragnacar if he is able to, and share stories (and perhaps some warm drinks) and Gather Information. (Of course if we don't stay after all, ignore this roll.)

Gather Information + wits with Ragnacar, maybe trying to find out what happened here that no visitors are allowed in, or if there is some other reason why Dagmar is acting the way that she is.

Weak Hit - +1 momentum (updated, now 9/10), but the information complicates the quest or reveals a new danger.

Assets

When you Secure an Advantage or Compel by embodying your wild nature, add +1, and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Strike or Clash by unleashing your rage (decide before rolling), inflict +1 harm on a hit. Then, choose one:
When you Endure Harm in a fight, and your Health is above zero, you may let the pain inflame your wildness (decide before rolling). If you then score a strong hit and choose to embrace the pain, take +momentum equal to your remaining Health. A weak hit counts as a miss.

Wayfinder - (Path)
When you Undertake a Journey, take +1 momentum on a strong hit. If you burn momentum to improve your result, also take +1 momentum after reset.
When you Secure an Advantage or Gather Information by carefully surveying the landscape or scouting ahead, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Swear an Iron Vow to safely guide someone on a perilous journey, you may reroll any dice. When you Fulfill Your Vow and mark experience, take +1 experience.

Talisman - (Ritual)
When you fashion a charm, envision it and name the specific person or creature it protects against. Then roll +wits.
------ On a strong it, when the wearer opposes the target through a move, add +2. If a one is rolled on the action die while making a move using the charm, the magic is spent.
------ On a weak hit, as above, but the wearer adds +1 when making a move (instead of +2).
As above, and you may instead fashion a charm which aids the wearer against all supernatural threats, such as mystic rituals or horrors.

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)
When you cloak yourself with the gossamer veil of the shadow realms, roll +shadow. On a strong hit, take +1 momentum. Then, reroll any dice (one time only) when you make a move by ambushing, hiding, or sneaking. On a weak hit, as above, but the shadows try to lead you astray. You must first Face Danger to find your way.
As above, and you may also travel along the hidden paths of the shadow realms to Undertake a Journey using +shadow (instead of +wits). If you do, Endure Stress (1 stress) and mark progress twice on a strong hit.

Progress

Failure:
Bonds:

Completed Vows: Rescue the Missing Hunters (T), Deal with the Spiders (D), Defend the Woodmen (F)
Completed Scenes: Destroy the Spider Nest (F), Convince the Elvenking (D), Defend the Western Walls (T), Secure Hospitality (F)
Completed Combats: Boss Spider (F), Orc Warband (D), Stealthy Orc Infiltrators (T)

Edited by BlueTrillium (see edit history)
Name
Gather Information + wits
1d6+1 4
Challenge Dice
10; 4
1d10;1d10 [10]; [10,4]

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 4 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 3 | Uthred: 4 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 7]

"Indeed." said Idunn in agreement, and then turned to look at Bróin and the others. Radagast nodded quietly; clearly, the arrangement was not to his liking, but he held his tongue. The huntress had to wonder why he had elected to remain so quiet, but this was not a matter to be brought up at present.

When the others too stated their consent-begrudgingly or not-the huntress turned again to Dagmar.

"Show us the place." she requested, eager to be done with all of this bickering back and forths. She did not think the outcome much to her liking, and certainly the cold reception had failed to meet her expectations... but it was still better than sleeping under the trees, especially in this part of Mirkwood.

OOC

I hope you all don't mind, but I moved us forward a tiny bit. Still, even if Bróin is strongly against the idea, and wants to protest this harsh and unhospitable treatment, it could be possible to camp just outside Tyrant's Hill, just to make a point (mechanically, that removes Sojourn as an available move, but would open up Make Camp for Bróin specifically.)

As for Idunn... she is not one for Sojourn right now, both because of in-game and mechanical (low Heart) reasons... so I think she'll spent some time hunting and trying to Resupply us. So I'll make that move for now.

@BlueTrillium you have Supply at +4 but I have it at +3. One of us must be wrong, because the Supply track is shared in a party. I can check later to figure it out, or if you beat me to it, feel free to let me know which one it is.

Edit: Uh-oh. A miss, and momentum will not help. I'll think of a Pay the Price later, and try to weave this all into a coherent narrative. For now, I'll just mark a failure. Stats updated.

Name
Resupply
1d6+3 1
Challenge Dice
2d10 7,5

spacer.png

Unfailingly courteous in even these trying circumstances, Bróin bows and humbly thanks Dagmar for the offer of shelter. Were the accommodations far below the standard he was used to? Of course. But when the alternative was an evening beneath the haunted eaves of Mirkwood, one could hardly be choosy.

Upon being guided into Tyrant's Hill by Dagmar and her coterie, the Dwarf is quick to set his mercantile skills to work; bartering away the last of his treasure amongst the locals, the company's respite proves more invigorating than initially feared. But not by much however, for the folk of the Hill are tighfisted and suspicious around outsiders. Traits hardly conducive to barter.

His shortcomings seem to have darkened Bróin's mood, who partakes of neither pleasure nor commerce once the company settles in for the night. Not even Vara's quips and japish manner seem to liven Bróin up.

OOC

Adding my last Wealth for a +1 on the Sojourn roll.

Okay, so with a Weak Hit we can each choose one from the Sojourn categories. We can also focus on one of our chosen recover actions and roll +heart again. If you share a bond, add +1. On a strong hit, take +2 more for that action. On a weak hit, take +1 more. On a miss, it goes badly and you lose all benefits for that action.

I really want to refill Bróin's Spirit, so I'm gonna do that.

Welp, was worth a shot.

Name
Sojourn
1d6+3 3
Challenge Dice
1; 10
1d10;1d10 [1]; [1,10]
Consort Focus
1d6+2 2
Challenge Dice
6; 8
1d10;1d10 [6]; [6,8]

Scene 5: Unbidden guests

Time: Late evening, four days after setting out from Rhosgobel

spacer.pngAs the afternoon came and went, it was Ragnacar that brought the company bread and water; a meager meal to share for supper as they sat in the stables, which were for the most part empty, and discussed amongst themselves. Though Dagmar had given them something of a cold shoulder, the warrior proved far more sympathetic, and stayed with them for a good while, answering their questions as best he could.

His longest discussions were with Tarric, with whom he seemed to share something akin to kinship; perhaps it was the memory of the battle against the orcs in Rhosgobel. The two spoke at length, and Ragnacar warned him above all else to stay away from the tower-he and the entire company-if they did not want to displease Dagmar and Mogdred. More, he would not say, though reading between the lines, Tarric could guess that there was something inside that was not meant for their eyes to see.

Passing outside the tower later in the evening, when daylight was beginning to wane, Tarric heard cries, faint but unmistakable. No Man could produce such sounds; it seemed to him like something guttural that only an orc could utter.

spacer.pngAs for Idunn, she was still displeased by the lack of hospitality, and so she did not remain in the stables for long; taking the first chance, she explained to her companions that she would venture into the neighboring woods and attempt to hunt, to replenish their diminishing supplies, or at least add to their poor supper.

Her intentions had been well-meaning, but not only was she unable to find anything, but on the way back, two of the hounds these folk kept attacked Uthred, and bit him where his old wound was. The huntress chased them away, but by then the damage was done. Disheartened and empty handed, the pair of them returned to the stables, Idunn with a miserable expression and her hound with his tail behind his legs. And that was how she spent her ill-fated evening in Tyrant's Hill.

And Bróin did not fare much better. Having spent all his spare coin on this ungrateful people to receive nothing but some bread and water in exchange, he too joined the others in the stables at night, and spent it in the company of the wizard.

OOC

In case the subtext is not clear, @BlueTrillium, what Tarric discovers with his Gather Information (Weak hit) is that Mogdred is most likely keeping captured orcs in that tower, and is likely torturing them (probably for information, or maybe for sport). Up to Tarric what he does with the info.

If I understand the rules correctly, it's up to us (me and Blue) to choose a recover action for Bróin's weak hit with Sojourn and either take it or roll again. Given the bad luck that's been plaguing us, I'll choose Provision-we can take +2 Supply. Maybe Ragnacar brings us more food on the morning.

As for Idunn's pay the price, I'll select the Companion Endure Harm (-2 health for Uthred) and roll below.

Edit: A weak hit. Basically nothing except that -2 health. So updated stats for Idunn will look like Supply: +5 and Uthred: +2. I'll update them in my next post.

Finally, I said I'd ask the oracle to see if Mogdred comes. Yes on 51+.

Edit 2: He doesn't. So we'll need to decide if we want to stick around or not. I'll wait for your IC posts! But I am good either way.

Name
Companion Endure Harm
1d6+2 6
Challenge Dice
2d10 8,2
Ask the Oracle
1d100 46

unknown.png

Mom: 9 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 4 | Supply: 5
Tarric

The company of Ragnacar was the sole bright spot of the evening, and even that was dimmed by what the warrior could (and could not) say. It was clear the residents of this place (and very possibly Mogdred himself) were hiding something they did not wish the travelers -- or perhaps particularly Radagast -- to discover, and it was inside that tower. And what cause would there be to hide if it was anything good?

Ragnacar's words prompted Tarric to make certain he passed as close to the tower as he could when he had the excuse. The odd sounds creased the Beorning's brow with a thoughtful frown as he trudged back to their meager lodging.

There -- even more woe, for Uthred, Idunn's hound, had been hurt during her own traveling. Tarric and Olwinne could not do much, but alongside Idunn's own ministrations they tried to comfort the beast as best they could.

While doing so, Tarric offered up the report of what he'd heard outside the tower and the conclusions he'd drawn to Radagast and the rest of the group. "That sound... I believe one or more orcs are being held in that tower, and the residents of Tyrant's Hill do not want us to know they are there. And if they do not want us to know about it so vehemently, I cannot think it is for any good purpose. I have no care for orcs, not at all, but... I am troubled."

OOC/Mechanics

Updated Supply per Idunn's Sojourn choice, now 5/5.

For his own Sojourn choice, Tarric will Recuperate in an attempt to "take +2 health for himself and any companions" to benefit Uthred. It may not work since Uthred technically is Idunn's and not his companion, and Tarric doesn't need the health himself, but I feel like this is what he'd do anyway. xD

Assets

Wayfinder - (Path)

Talisman - (Ritual)

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)

Progress

Failure:
Bonds:

Completed Scenes: Destroy the Spider Nest (F), Convince the Elvenking (D), Defend the Western Walls (T), Secure Hospitality (F)

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 4 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 2 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 7]

The sun had set by the time that Tarric had returned with new tidings. Upon receiving them, Idunn's expression darkened, and she looked at those gathered about her with a face grim and grave.

"Mogdred... He swore an oath to stop seizing orcs. Before the moot, rumours spoke of him selling them as thralls to old Vidugalum, the chieftain of the Toft... Rumours that he did not even bother to deny. I made him promise that he would stop, if he wished to have his House accepted as one of the Woodmen... and indeed he did before all the assembly. But these news suggest that we were deceived..."

OOC

I have some meta-knowledge here, so I'd rather have Tarric and Broin handle this!

spacer.png

Sitting with his back to the stable wall as Tarric speaks and Idunn expands on the revelations at hand, Bróin strokes his beard. "At the risk of sounding pedantic my dear... were you? I was not at the Moot, so I cannot speak to the language used, but it seems as though his oath was simply to cease with the taking and trading of orc chattel. Where does that leave any orcs already seized I wonder? Well like as not in that tower, but to what end I could not say. Orcs may be strong and tough but they are unruly at the best of times; rather poor slaves for a Man to use."

Mogred might have other, more sordid uses for captured orcs but Bróin tabled such thoughts for the time being. Best to assess the situation fully before jumping to conclusions, prompting the Dwarf to cock his head towards the rafters. "What say you Vara? Up for a little scouting?"

"Need you even ask?" The flutter of wings signals Vara departure, her keen senses focused on the tower as it grew closer and closer.

OOC

Based on previous situations I'm gonna try a Face Danger+Shadow roll to see how Vara's scouting of the tower plays out.

Another Miss unfortunately. And the Pay the Price means that the current situation worsens.

Name
Face Danger
1d6+3 2
Challenge Dice
2d10 7,10
Pay the Price
1d100 39