"Game Expectations" working as intended?

Butchern

I was viewing a game in progress here on Baldr, and when I try to view any tabs other than "overview," I get the "Game Expectations" screen with the message that says "Before you can join this club, you must acknowledge the game expectations." I have no intent of joining the 'club' (and I'm sure the GM doesn't want me joining either). I just want to see what's going on in the game. But I clicked "Accept" anyway. I see the "Accepted" flash at the top of the screen but I am taken right back to the "Before you can join this club, you must acknowledge the game expectations" screen as though I never "Accepted" anything. Repeat ad infinitum.

1. Probably should swap out the word "club" in the messaging.
2. Either I'm doing something wrong, or this isn't working as intended (being redirected back to the same screen over and over).
3. Do we intend to make viewers "accept" the Game Expectations before they can view the content?

Notes:

1. I can view the "overview" tab without seeing the "Game Expectations" wall.
2. On the top right, one of my options is "Join Game" and under the "Manage Game" drop-down the only option is "Leave Game." This is also confusing. I have not joined the game, I don't think. When I try to leave the game I am taken to the "The page you are trying to access is not available for your account" page.
3. The particular game in question: https://test.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/clubs/82-chronicles-of-kythera/

Edited by Butchern (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, hakootoko said:

I think having to accept Game Expectations before being able to read the game is a good feature. Not every GM will use GE, but some may wish to use GE to put in things like trigger warnings.

It's a good feature, yes. Except that it doesn't function correctly. Out of curiosity I tried it myself and you cannot get to the game, even after clicking accept.

I personally prefer a thread about it so people can specify their needs.

The game still being unreachable after clicking "Accept" is probably related to the bug currently affecting the site here. Changing the game's privacy settings don't save properly either. Eric is going to be working on it shortly.

Regarding the feature as a whole, if it were up to me, I'd do away with it entirely. OGMW didn't have it and didn't need it. Balder doesn't need it either. It adds very little, but since 1) it is optional and 2) it is only one annoying click to get past it (and you don't actually have to bother reading the content), I don't feel strongly either way.

Yes, the bug needs to be fixed. There's no point in having a feature that just doesn't work.

I've only come across one game that had Game Expectations associated with it. I read it, it didn't meet my expectations, and I didn't look at the rest of the game. Saved me quite a bit of time, really 🙂

I can usually tell whether a game is going to be for me from 1) the quality of posts in the forum when I get there and 2) who's running it and 3) to a much lesser degree, who's playing.

It's only when a game becomes too restrictive that I begin to question motives and personalities (and what it'll mean for the game). There's site guidelines that ought to be good enough to cover anything that needs avoided.

Anyways, I digress. Good to hear things will be addressed shortly.

It does seem that the latest update of Invision has broken the custom plugin that allows games to be archived. The plugin is what is causing the current problem with being able to change a game's privacy setting as well as probably is the culprit behind this issue as well.

Eric will be on the case when he gets home this evening.

• Privacy setting fix has been deployed.
  • "Leave Game" being present when you haven't joined is a different bug that will go on the board.
  • Being able to see that containers (e.g., forums) exist in an Open game but not being able to see their contents without acknowledging the game rules is OOTB behavior. Therefore...
  • The language has been updated to avoid the implication that acknowledging the rules is tantamount to joining the game. To wit:image.png.151e0e83aebfb4fb607924ad17670cbd.png
  • The inability to get to the right place after acknowledging the rules is actually a long-standing Invision Community bug. Now that I've had an opportunity pick at this, I can see what the problem is and I can put a customization over the top to fix it.

18 minutes ago, Eric said:
  • Privacy setting fix has been deployed.
  • "Leave Game" being present when you haven't joined is a different bug that will go on the board.
  • Being able to see that containers (e.g., forums) exist in an Open game but not being able to see their contents without acknowledging the game rules is OOTB behavior. Therefore...
  • The language has been updated to avoid the implication that acknowledging the rules is tantamount to joining the game. To wit:image.png.151e0e83aebfb4fb607924ad17670cbd.png
  • The inability to get to the right place after acknowledging the rules is actually a long-standing Invision Community bug. Now that I've had an opportunity pick at this, I can see what the problem is and I can put a customization over the top to fix it.

Great work and thank you!

• 1 month later...