Jump to content

Chapter 2: Timeas' Folly


Recommended Posts

Music: Autumn Ale - LOTRO Soundtrack

The Prancing Pony - Winter 2947 T.A.

600px-The_Prancing_Pony_Interior.jpg

Ere long, a chill in the air settled across Bree-land, signaling the arrival of winter. As the air grew colder, young Tomas Heatherton grew bolder, desiring more and more to recover his late uncle's buried fortunes in the Midgewater Marshes. It was a relatively simple matter of gathering the rest of the Company, though Fletcher proved to be the most elusive. None among the remaining members of the Company knew where he had wandered off to, yet when the time was right, he stepped through the door of the Pony, his dark cloak covered in a thin layer of snow.

"Ah, good, we're all here! Are we prepared to leave? I've not found anything else of note on the map, though I can't quite say I know what the Black Barrow or the King's Chair are." Tomas asked, once everyone had gathered in the Pony.

OOC

Roles for Journeys

  • GuideIn charge of all decisions concerning route, rest, and supplies. Guides rely on Wisdom and Survival proficiency. - Prudence
  • ScoutIn charge of setting up camp, opening new trails. Scouts rely on Stealth and Investigation. - Fletcher
  • HunterIn charge of finding food in the wild. Hunters rely on success with Survival checks. - Orn
  • Look-outIn charge of keeping watch. Look-outs rely on their abilities in Perception. - Léofwyn

OOC: Welcome back, everyone! Go ahead and narrate your return to Bree. When you do, please roll a Wisdom (Perception) check if you are proficient in them.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the map. If you wish to examine the map further, please go ahead and roll an Intelligence (History or Lore) check. It may be good to summarize what you already know before setting out.

Roll20 Map


To Post: Everyone!


@codexgigas @Grendel @Papa Bear @grimlock

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was pinned
2NWcQT9m.jpg

Prudence Whitfoot (Hobbit Treasure Hunter 1)


AC: 15 | HP: 17/17| Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 13 | Investigation: 12 | Speed: 25 ft


Prudence stayed in and around Bree during the break. She took a few short walks around Bree Hill with her new walking stick to get a feel for it and was not disappointed. Now, at the start of Winter, she met the others in the Pony dressed for the cold and ready to travel, walking stick in hand. "Greetings to you Master Heatherton, and to the rest of you. It is a pleasure to see you again," she says by way of greeting.

 

Name
WIS (Perception)
12
1d20+5 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites


image.jpeg.73940120db5f4a4029590082d07a0a45.jpegOrn, Son of Thain

Weaponmaster

HP: 32 / 32          AC: 20 (16)           Second Wind: Yes          Action Surge: Yes          Character Sheet


Orn had been making a fool of himself every night in the 'Pony' but he'd enjoyed himself immensely. He'd 'taught' the Bree-folk a good old fashioned Dwarven dance, sung several dirges, told multiple stories, and, naturally, got very drunk several times over. When the time came for the company to 'reform', he'd taken the night off from his revelry so that his head (he hoped) would be clear for the decisions that would have to be made about what exactly was to be done.

"Oh, its been a good time but me mallet sings for battle." Orn says when they have all gathered.

 

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amdiran, Son of Amdirgir | Dunédain Warden 3
spacer.png


AC: 15/17 | HP: 22/22 | HD: 3/3d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 17 | Warden's Gift: 3/3 | Discourse 1/1 | Foresight: 1/1
Shadow Points: 1 | DM Inspiration: 1/1


Fletcher steels himself against the cold wild that blew off Bree-hill. He worries that the sudden change in the weather boded poorly for their journey. It seems folly to set out into the Wilds in the waning of the year, yet the Ranger had given his word and he would not break it. He arrives at the Prancing Pony after the others had gathered. He opens the door, seeming them huddled in conversation with Tomas. He finds himself smiling. He has grown fond of the company, even if Fallfyre's absence sends a twinge of regret through his breast. He misses the strange young woman.

Amdiran shakes the snow off his cloak as he crosses the threshold. "Well met," he says. "You haven't started without me, have you? I came on time, as agreed." The Ranger feigns being hurt, though his smile shows that this is an uncharacteristic jest. The stern man seems happier after his weeks among his kindred.

He peers at the map with the others, attempting to tease out any more secrets he can before the group departs.


 

Name
Perception
10
1d20+7 3
History
12
1d20+4 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
images.jpg
Léofwyn (Rohirrim Knight level 3)
 

AC: 17/18* | HP: 29/29 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft
Inspiration: 0 | Shadow: 4 |Action SurgeStarting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action. Alternatively, if you spend Inspiration, you may give your Action Surge to a nearby ally as a reaction. The ally must use the Action Surge immediately. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again: 1 | Second WindYou have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your Warrior level. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.: 1 | Mark of HonorInspiration: You may draw Inspiration from your Charge. Once you have gained Inspiration from your Charge, you cannot do so again until you finish a long rest.: 1 | Sworn DefenderUpon choosing this archetype at 3rd level you gain the ability to nominate a Charge. At the end of a long rest, you can name a person or place and swear mighty oaths to protect and defend it. This Charge remains until either it is killed, or you change your Charge following a long rest. While near your Charge, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Wisdom bonus plus your Warrior levels. Alternatively, your liege lord may assign you a task, in which case the completion of that quest becomes your Charge, and you lose the temporary hit points if, in the judgement of the Loremaster, you tarry or stray from your quest. If your Charge is a place, it becomes a Sanctuary for you as long as it remains your Charge (see the Fellowship Phase chapter for more information on Sanctuaries).: - 

Broad Sword+4, 1D8+2 Piercing, Finesse | Spear+3, 1D6+1 Piercing, (+4) Thrown Range 20/60, Versatile (1D8+1) | Short Bow+4, 1D6 Piercing, Ammunition, Range 80/320, Two-handed | Dagger+4, 1D4+2 Piercing, Finesse, Light, Thrown, Range 20/60 


Aelfric (Horse, Large) | AC: 12 | HP: 29 Speed: 60ft | Passive Perception: 10 Hooves+4, 2D4+2, Charge Trained Mount


 

Léofwyn drained the last of her mead and placed the empty mug on the table. She smiled at the others gathered around and spoke in soft tone. "It is good to see you all. I trust everyone is prepared?"

OOC

 

 

Edited by grimlock (see edit history)
Name
Perception
19
1d20+2 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Despite Fletcher's time around Bree-land, he realized upon studying the map that he hadn't really spent as much time in the Midgewater Marshes. Sure, he's warded and guided wayward travelers east of Bree, but he's rarely went beyond half a day's march into the swampy terrain. While the King's Chair vaguely rings a bell as being one of the many ruins of the Dúnedain, he has no clue what the Black Barrow may be.

As for Léofwyn, she noticed something peculiar while hastening towards the Pony. In her time establishing a trade post in Bree, she had encountered some problems with a local troublemaker by the name of Ham Granger. He'd harassed the Rohirrim as "unwanted strawheads", but firm words and grim looks kept him from trying anything more. She spotted him at the end of one of the many alleyways she had passed by, speaking with a dwarf clad in dark clothes with black hair and an eyepatch. What their conversation was, she couldn't tell, but if she went to investigate, they would quickly have scattered ere she could catch up.

"I'm not sure what all we need for a journey into the Marshes, but one of the local herbalists said the swamp tends to freeze over this season. Maybe the trip won't be so bad?" young Tomas Heatherton said hopefully.

With that, is the Company prepared to depart? Any more purchases to make or characters to meet?

@Papa Bear @Grendel @grimlock @codexgigas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amdiran, Son of Amdirgir | Dunédain Warden 3
spacer.png


AC: 15/17 | HP: 22/22 | HD: 3/3d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 17 | Warden's Gift: 3/3 | Discourse 1/1 | Foresight: 1/1
Shadow Points: 1 | DM Inspiration: 1/1


As the plan comes together, the Ranger nods in approval. He responds to Tomas, "We shouldn't expect easy going. Even a Ranger such as myself doesn't willingly venture into the Midgewater Marshes. It is a hard and unpleasant country. Travel will be difficult, especially if we return burdened with treasure. We should buy a pony with the money we took from the troll-horde. Do you know if anyone has one they might be willing to sell, Tomas?"


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
images.jpg
Léofwyn (Rohirrim Knight level 3)
 

AC: 17/18* | HP: 29/29 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft
Inspiration: 0 | Shadow: 4 |Action SurgeStarting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action. Alternatively, if you spend Inspiration, you may give your Action Surge to a nearby ally as a reaction. The ally must use the Action Surge immediately. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again: 1 | Second WindYou have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your Warrior level. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.: 1 | Mark of HonorInspiration: You may draw Inspiration from your Charge. Once you have gained Inspiration from your Charge, you cannot do so again until you finish a long rest.: 1 | Sworn DefenderUpon choosing this archetype at 3rd level you gain the ability to nominate a Charge. At the end of a long rest, you can name a person or place and swear mighty oaths to protect and defend it. This Charge remains until either it is killed, or you change your Charge following a long rest. While near your Charge, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Wisdom bonus plus your Warrior levels. Alternatively, your liege lord may assign you a task, in which case the completion of that quest becomes your Charge, and you lose the temporary hit points if, in the judgement of the Loremaster, you tarry or stray from your quest. If your Charge is a place, it becomes a Sanctuary for you as long as it remains your Charge (see the Fellowship Phase chapter for more information on Sanctuaries).: - 

Broad Sword+4, 1D8+2 Piercing, Finesse | Spear+3, 1D6+1 Piercing, (+4) Thrown Range 20/60, Versatile (1D8+1) | Short Bow+4, 1D6 Piercing, Ammunition, Range 80/320, Two-handed | Dagger+4, 1D4+2 Piercing, Finesse, Light, Thrown, Range 20/60 


Aelfric (Horse, Large) | AC: 12 | HP: 29 Speed: 60ft | Passive Perception: 10 Hooves+4, 2D4+2, Charge Trained Mount


 

Léofwyn pondered a moment and spoke in a softer tone. "We should be wary of our openly talking about this matter here. I have noticed strange folk about lately."

She nodded in agreement with the Dunédain. "Perhaps we each purchase a mount for the journey? I intend to ride with Aelfric but if we are truly burdened upon our return then draft work is not beneath him. It may make our going easier. Ample food and warm supplies may also be warranted if we plan to foray into the winter months."

OOC

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Music: Autumn Ale - LOTRO Soundtrack

The Prancing Pony - Winter 2947 T.A.

600px-The_Prancing_Pony_Interior.jpg

"Mr. Butterbur can help you if you need ponies! If you need other gear, he can point you in the right direction," Tom answered.

OOC

Roles for Journeys

  • GuideIn charge of all decisions concerning route, rest, and supplies. Guides rely on Wisdom and Survival proficiency. - Prudence
  • ScoutIn charge of setting up camp, opening new trails. Scouts rely on Stealth and Investigation. - Fletcher
  • HunterIn charge of finding food in the wild. Hunters rely on success with Survival checks. - Orn
  • Look-outIn charge of keeping watch. Look-outs rely on their abilities in Perception. - Léofwyn

OOC: -

Roll20 Map


To Post: Everyone!


@codexgigas @Grendel @Papa Bear @grimlock

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
images.jpg
Léofwyn (Rohirrim Knight level 3)
 

AC: 17/18* | HP: 29/29 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft
Inspiration: 0 | Shadow: 4 |Action SurgeStarting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action. Alternatively, if you spend Inspiration, you may give your Action Surge to a nearby ally as a reaction. The ally must use the Action Surge immediately. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again: 1 | Second WindYou have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your Warrior level. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.: 1 | Mark of HonorInspiration: You may draw Inspiration from your Charge. Once you have gained Inspiration from your Charge, you cannot do so again until you finish a long rest.: 1 | Sworn DefenderUpon choosing this archetype at 3rd level you gain the ability to nominate a Charge. At the end of a long rest, you can name a person or place and swear mighty oaths to protect and defend it. This Charge remains until either it is killed, or you change your Charge following a long rest. While near your Charge, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Wisdom bonus plus your Warrior levels. Alternatively, your liege lord may assign you a task, in which case the completion of that quest becomes your Charge, and you lose the temporary hit points if, in the judgement of the Loremaster, you tarry or stray from your quest. If your Charge is a place, it becomes a Sanctuary for you as long as it remains your Charge (see the Fellowship Phase chapter for more information on Sanctuaries).: - 

Broad Sword+4, 1D8+2 Piercing, Finesse | Spear+3, 1D6+1 Piercing, (+4) Thrown Range 20/60, Versatile (1D8+1) | Short Bow+4, 1D6 Piercing, Ammunition, Range 80/320, Two-handed | Dagger+4, 1D4+2 Piercing, Finesse, Light, Thrown, Range 20/60 


Aelfric (Horse, Large) | AC: 12 | HP: 29 Speed: 60ft | Passive Perception: 10 Hooves+4, 2D4+2, Charge Trained Mount


 

Léofwyn nodded, "Very well, I shall gather the necessary supplies before we depart."

OOC

Before we leave Léofwyn will gather party funds and purchase supplies go on a shopping spree:

 

4 Well-fed ponies 8s/ea = 1g 12s

7 days rations 30s/day = 10g 10s

7 days feed 15s/day = 5g 5s (going to assume we need to feed the ponies in winter, figured 50% cost of rations?)

5 sets winter clothes 5s/ea = 25s

5 bedrolls 1s/ea = 5s

8 torches 3c/es = 2s

3 tents 2s/ea = 6s

50ft rope = 1s (to tie up the ponies)

1 cooking pot = 2s

1 full wine skin = 5s

4 sacks 3c/ea = 1s (to carry everything)

 

Total = 19g 14s

Current party Funds = 20g 3s

Total Funds After = 9s

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


image.jpeg.73940120db5f4a4029590082d07a0a45.jpegOrn, Son of Thain

Weaponmaster

HP: 32 / 32          AC: 20 (16)           Second Wind: Yes          Action Surge: Yes          Character Sheet


"I'll go wit ye, lass." Orn says to the shield-maiden. "Mine family has credit here in Bree for whatever else we can't afford in coin."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2NWcQT9m.jpg

Prudence Whitfoot (Hobbit Treasure Hunter 1)


AC: 15 | HP: 17/17| Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 13 | Investigation: 12 | Speed: 25 ft


Prudence's eyes sort of glazed over as the company discussed logistics; it wasn't her strong suit. though she did like the idea of riding instead of walking through the marshes. Though she was accustomed to wearing boots when the situation called for it (and walking through a marsh was one such situation) she preferred, like most of her kind, not to.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amdiran, Son of Amdirgir | Dunédain Warden 3
spacer.png


AC: 15/17 | HP: 22/22 | HD: 3/3d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 17 | Warden's Gift: 3/3 | Discourse 1/1 | Foresight: 1/1
Shadow Points: 1 | DM Inspiration: 1/1


Fletcher helps Léofwyn as she gathers supplies. He finds she needs little help, especially when it comes to purchasing ponies for the party. The Rohirrim warrior is unsurprisingly a good judge of horseflesh. In due course, the Ranger and his companions are ready to depart.


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Music: Home from the Hunt - LOTRO Soundtrack

East Road - Winter 2947 T.A.

https://uploads8.wikiart.org/images/aleksey-savrasov/winter-road.jpg!Large.jpg

With the Company resupplied and prepared to depart, Tomas Heatherton joined the others as they swiftly departed Bree out of the south gate, which linked up to the East Road. From there, they turned east on their ponies, embarking on an adventure for treasure and discovery! Unfortunately, due to complications with the incoming winter, they found that their food situation is not as secure as they had hoped. While food is available for most of the journey, they will quickly realize that traveling through the swamp lands means they must ration more than anticipated. Indeed, it only took one day to reach the Forsaken Inn, but it took them five more days to drag themselves and their ponies through half-frozen marshes and bogs. Game was scarce, and whenever they were able to find time to stop for a meal, the food tended to be cold, bland, or suffering from cooking mishaps. While it was not the worst fate to suffer, it did make their journey to the Black Barrow more challenging.

The Forsaken Inn - Tolkien Gateway

Arriving at the Forsaken Inn by the end of the first day of traveling, the Company approached the last safe house west of the mountains for most travelers. It was an ill-favored, unfriendly place; most of the customers are hunters and trappers from the surrounding lone-lands who mistrust strangers. The inn was a ramshackle half-ruin in poor repair, the beer was stale and the food was dire, but it was a place to rest on the road. It was well known that the prices for room and board are borderline extortionate, but where else would you sleep? In Bree, folk told stories about the Innkeeper, Jack the Forsaken, claiming that he keeps wolves that prey on travelers who don't stay at his inn, or that he practices sorcery on and murders guest who do stay in the inn.

Despite the rumors, Fletcher knows that Rangers frequent the inn. Perhaps one of them could be found here tonight?

OOC

Roles for Journeys

  • GuideIn charge of all decisions concerning route, rest, and supplies. Guides rely on Wisdom and Survival proficiency. - Prudence
  • ScoutIn charge of setting up camp, opening new trails. Scouts rely on Stealth and Investigation. - Fletcher
  • HunterIn charge of finding food in the wild. Hunters rely on success with Survival checks. - Orn
  • Look-outIn charge of keeping watch. Look-outs rely on their abilities in Perception. - Léofwyn

OOC: The Company's Embarkation is, ironically, plagued by Meagre Supplies and Poor Meals. As such, all members of the Company receive a -1 penalty to all skill checks made during the Journey.

You have arrived at the end of your first day of travel, and reached the Forsaken Inn! We can roleplay some interactions here, but if you all simply wish to pay for your rooms (twice the cost of a room in the Pony) and go to bed, we can skip to the more miserable part of your journey.

Roll20 Map


To Post: Everyone!


@codexgigas @Grendel @Papa Bear @grimlock

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)
Name
Embarkation
6
1d12+1 5
Journey Events
1.5
1d4/2 3
Journey Event #1
2
1d12 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


image.jpeg.73940120db5f4a4029590082d07a0a45.jpegOrn, Son of Thain

Weaponmaster

HP: 32 / 32          AC: 20 (16)           Second Wind: Yes          Action Surge: Yes          Character Sheet


"Give me an ale." The dwarf grunts, not meaning to sound grouchy in any way, but it had been a long trip, though only one day. However, he had been used to doing nothing but drinking and feasting for the past few days. All this walking and riding and ... not sitting in a comfortable chair eating and telling stories had built up a dwarven sized thirst in him.

The dwarf turns and looks for a place to rest, taking in the faces of those already there.

 

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...