Chapter 2: Timeas' Folly

rogueblade0729

images.jpg
Léofwyn (Rohirrim Knight level 3)

AC: 17/18* | HP: 29/29 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft
Inspiration: 0Shadow: 4 |Action Surge: 1 | Second Wind: 1 | Mark of Honor: 1/1 | Sworn Defender: Tomas 

Broad Sword | Spear | Short Bow | Dagger 

Aelfric (Horse, Large) | AC: 12 | HP: 29 Speed: 60ft | Passive Perception: 10 Hooves Trained Mount

Léofwyn spotted another piece of treasure and reached forward. She nearly let out all her breath as she recoiled from an icy touch. Memories of the barrow wight flashed through her mind as she fought panic and terror. She felt the tug of the rope and swiftly pushed off the bottom, swiping madly at the spectral hand as she surfaced.

OOC

Sorry for the delay! Thanks for the advantage, Papa

Edited by grimlock (see edit history)
Name
DC 15 Strength (advantage)
12; 5
1d20+3;1d20+3 [9]; [9,2]
Reroll with inspiration
19; 11
1d20+3;1d20+3 [16]; [16,8]

Music: Among the Barrow Downs - LOTRO Soundtrack

The Black Barrow - Winter 2947 T.A.

image.png.aa857605d5394620d56e12688502ac48.png image.png.3696a68d0d96fef285379cbe03c9667d.png

With a kick and a whack, Léofwyn liberated herself of the ghostly hand's clutch, sending it sailing through the water. It smashed into the side of the chamber, dissipating like mist. Although she was eager to escape, the shield-maiden couldn't help but notice that the water seemed just a little brighter, as if some lingering spirit had finally been driven from this place. After emerging through the trap door and catching her breath, she realized that her left hand was clutched around something. Did she manage to find treasure?

Uncurling her fingers, she revealed a curious thing: a beautifully carved ring of gold.

image.png.f05295e4e973c395ece3d3ad369cd163.png

If revealed to Orn, he could tell it was not of Dwarf-make. Whoever forged it was obviously very talented, and whoever owned it in life must have been a figure of splendor. There's something about it that seems... wondrous. Magical, even. But what?

"Oi, what's that?" Tomas asked, trying to peer around the Company to get a look at Léofwyn's discovery. He didn't seem to realize that she had almost drowned in the effort to find it.

OOC

Roles for Journeys

• Guide - ?
  • Scout - Fletcher
  • Hunter - Orn
  • Look-out - Léofwyn

OOC: Léofwyn has escaped from the Lower Barrow alive, and managed to snag a ring for her troubles! But, there appears to be something more to this ring than just being pretty. If you want to discover more, you will need to find a knowledgeable Scholar, or by performing the Research Lore OR Study Magical Items undertaking.

Roll20 Map

To Post: Everyone!

@codexgigas @Papa Bear @grimlock

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)

Galian Elethor (Mirkwood Elf Wanderer 3) sheet appspacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 28/28 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 14 (16 in wilderness) | Features

A soft whisper of a female voice with an elvish accent calls out from the direction of the entrance.

"Tomas?"

A petite woman dressed in greens and browns and carrying an elven bow steps into the light, still making hardly any noise. She holds her arms out to her sides to show that she is not hiding any other weapons.

"Is one of you Tomas? I am Galian Elethor, of the Mirkwood. Barnabas Butterbur hired me to find you and warn you. Your father, Nick, is on the way here, but he is being deceived. The men that come with him mean to kill you all and take any treasure here for themselves."

She looks around at the four people in the room. "I'll need your help to rescue Nick."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty

Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Edited by BobtheWizard (see edit history)

images.jpg

AC: 17/18* | HP: 29/29 (1) | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft
Inspiration: 0 | Shadow: 4 |Action Surge: 1 | Second Wind: 1 | Mark of Honor: 0/1 | Sworn Defender: Tomas 

Aelfric (Horse, Large) | AC: 12 | HP: 29 Speed: 60ft | Passive Perception: 10 Hooves Trained Mount

Léofwyn supressed another shiver and stuffed the ring into her belt pouch. She ignored Tomas' prying and turned to Orn, still soaking from her dive "There was some foul presence below. It nearly overtook me before you pulled me to safety, thank you my friend."

The shield-maiden donned her outer garments and arms and began wringing out her hair. The sudden entrance of the elven woman startled her. She put a hand on her sword hilt and looked to Tomas then Amdiran before making any sort of reply.

OOC

Amdiran, Son of AmdirgirDunédain Warden 3
spacer.png

AC: 15/17 | HP: 22/22 | HD: 3/3d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 17 | Warden's Gift: 3/3 | Discourse 1/1 | Foresight: 1/1
Shadow Points: 4 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Amdiran tenses as he hears the soft voice behind him. His hand strays to his sword as he turns slowly, surprised to see an elf here. Of course, that explains how the newcomer avoided his keen Ranger's senses. He gives the elven woman a long, considering look before speaking.

"Cin are far o cín bar, híril. What brings cin uin calen glad na hi egla near? "You are far from your home, Lady. What brings you from the greenwood to this forsaken place?"" he asks, slipping into the elvish tongue. "They call me Fletcher in Bree. What shall we call you?" he asks, returning to Westron, the common tongue.

AC: 16 | HP: 28/28 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 14 (16 in wilderness) | Features

Still cautious, she smiles at the ranger.

"Eithel govannen. Cín edhelen na- verui manWell met. Your elvish is very good. I was sent to see how the elves might help men against the Shadow. But I find myself helping with these more mundane threats more often. Is one of you, Tomas?"

She also switches to the common tongue after acknowledging Fletcher's nod to her native language. She waits for the others to identify themselves and show themselves not to be a threat. She especially eyes the dwarf with caution, wondering if he is in on the plot with Grór.

Mechanics

image.jpeg.73940120db5f4a4029590082d07a0a45.jpegOrn, Son of Thain

Weaponmaster

#3 HP: 32 / 32          AC: 20 (16)           Second Wind: Yes          Action Surge: Yes    Shadow: 2       Character Sheet

"Ye best explain yerself afore ye get a mallet in the face!" Orn growls as he is surprised by the sudden appearance of the elf. The dwarf gets flustered hearing the conversation and not following the elf-talk. "Quit yer singing and speaks plainly!"  he says after moving in front of Tomas, ready to defend the lad. She said she was there to help him, but she could just be saying that because she was hired as an assassin.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

Since she had barely said anything to the Ranger in elvish, only complimenting him on his ability with the language, she assumes the dwarf is just slow. So she repeats everything she just said, very simply, with pauses in between all of the important words. She does this not to make fun of the dwarf, but just to make sure he understands.

"My name. Galian. Friend of Barnabus Butterbur. Sent to help Tomas and his father. Father in trouble. Not safe here. Are you friends with Grón or Grór?"

She looks to Tomas and the others to see if they can help interpret for the dwarf.

Mechanics

Weaponmaster

#3 HP: 32 / 32          AC: 20 (16)           Second Wind: Yes          Action Surge: Yes    Shadow: 2       Character Sheet

"An' how do we know we can trust ye?"  The dwarf growls back. He didn't know why she was talking in clipped, overly enunciated words but figured it had something to do with the difference in the common language of the Bree folk verses the common language of the lake men, which he knew and though there were only minor differences, it was enough to sometimes make understanding, one way or the other, difficult. "Jest because ye can spout out a few names o' me kinfolk don't mean I know ye an' can hardly ask fer one o' them ta vouch for ye!"

He was pretty sure he didn't like this elf and was hoping to plant his hammer square in her face. But the others didn't seem to have the same notion so he held back. However, he did not relinquish his position where he could protect the lad.

images.jpg

AC: 17/18* | HP: 29/29 (1) | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft
Inspiration: 0 | Shadow: 4 |Action Surge: 1 | Second Wind: 1 | Mark of Honor: 0/1 | Sworn Defender: Tomas 

Léofwyn eased her grip off her sword upon seeing Fletcher's response. She leans towards Orn, "If what this Galian says is true, you may have ample opportunity to wield your war hammer yet."

The lady of Rohan turned to face the elf. "You seem to have the trust of Fletcher, and so you have mine. We have sworn to defend young Tomas. If you would also do so wilfully than we shall be allies." She bowed her head and gave Orn an elbow. "I am Léofwyn and this contemptuous dwarf is Orn. Please excuse his manners."

OOC

Weaponmaster

"Why you..." Orn scowls at the shield maiden of Rohan. What devilry had the elf placed upon her and Fletcher? His mind would not be so easily taken! He did know that he did not want to face off against his companions and so he also bowed, but kept two eyes on her as he would do from this point onward. Elves were a mysterious lot, and most could not be trusted. Especially those elves from Mirkwood, the foulest of all places beyond the borders of Mordor itself.

Sure, in the Battle of Five Armies the elves of Mirkwood comprised one of those armies. But that battle was against the orcs and the races of men, elves, and Dwarves usually came together to combat their foul presence. Thrandruil was an elf not to be trusted if ever there were one.

image.jpeg.455f33fe2ab2db3a68b234dbe2f8e46b.jpeg

Galian first addresses Léofwyn. "I swear that I am here to protect Tomas."

She still isn't sure if she is going to need to run. There's no way she's fighting this dwarf in an enclosed cavern. But if he's working with Grór, then he might be part of the plot to kill Tomas. She's not one to judge all dwarves by the actions of another dwarf. She's known enough to know that most have good hearts under their grumpy exterior. But he did just call them kin. Is he related or did he just mean kin like all dwarves are kin. But if he doesn't know them, she never said they were dwarves. She speaks softly, trying to make it clear that she is not the threat here, but also wanting to make sure this dwarf doesn't kill Tomas.

"Grón and Grór are your kin, huh? Are you close with them?"

She backs away, waiting to see if Orn is going to pounce on Tomas. Perhaps he is in on the plot. If he's friends with the other dwarves, we might all be in a lot of danger.

Mechanics

Amdiran, Son of AmdirgirDunédain Warden 3
spacer.png

AC: 15/17 | HP: 22/22 | HD: 3/3d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 17 | Warden's Gift: 3/3 | Discourse 1/1 | Foresight: 1/1
Shadow Points: 4 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Amdiran steps between Orn and Galian, holding up his hands. "We will not do the Shadow's work for it, friends!" he says, his voice firm. "I know the folk of the woods and the folk of the mountains have not always dwelt in peace, but that has always been because the Shadow has exploited misunderstandings between your peoples. We have a common cause here."

The Ranger looks at Galian. "News of a plot against Tomas' father is new to us. What did Master Butterbur discover since we left Bree?" he asks.

He trusts the elf, even as he is confused by her news. He glances nervously toward Orn, who still seems too ready to use his axe for Amdiran's liking. Amdiran knows his history well, and he does not want this barrow to become another Menegroth, where the dwarves and elves quarreled over the Silmaril and slew one another.

Galian decides that she needs to trust Orn. If he is in on the plot, we are all doomed anyway. If he's not, then any distrust she displays will only make this harder. She sets down her bow and takes off her sword, placing them both on the ground. She takes one small step forward, with her hands empty and her arms outstretched. Orn could definitely kill her right here if he wanted to. She then explains the letter that she found.

"I tracked Nick and Grór to where they met with the local brigands. The locals around here are not trustworthy, and these men were all well armed, not what you would need to just bring one boy back."

She recites the letter as best she can,

"Dear Mr. Heatherton,

I should like to start this missive with my condolences for the loss of your brother Timeas this past season. In truth, your brother and mine, Grón, were traveling companions for many years. Whatever stories he may have told you about my brother, I assure you that Grón was a true-hearted companion of Tim's to the bitter end.

It has come to my attention that a shadow of their past has come to trouble your family once more. Rumor has reached me that your son, Tomas, has gotten it into his head that he should seek the same accursed treasure that took my brother from me. The same treasure that, no doubt, your brother once held the map to. The fool!

I long to bury this sorrow once and for all, to allow our kin to properly rest. Surely, you must also desire for your son's safety, and to put some sense into his head. He's got the same wandering lust that our brothers once shared, the same lust that got Grón killed. If you wish for my help in this matter, meet me in the Prancing Pony tomorrow at sundown. I've assembled a party to follow after Tomas—those outlanders may cause trouble, after all. Pack enough supplies for a journey to the Marshes and back again, and come armed. The lands beyond Bree are not as safe as they once were.

Your new friend,

Grór"

She continues on, explaining her interpretation of the letter.

"But I don't think his motives are a s altruistic as he tries to make them seem. After reading the letter, I began to glean a sinister truth to the dwarf's words. Firstly, Grón was perhaps not so "true-hearted" of a companion as Grór may have implied. While it is clear that he loved his brother, I suspect those traveling companions may have had more love for treasure than each other. I suspect they had a nasty falling out between them. To what extent, and whether it has anything to do with Grón's death, remains to be seen.

Secondly, Grór may be more like his brother than he tried to present himself as. If anything, the fact that he mentioned Timeas' treasure map suggests he only wants the treasure for himself. Whether he intends to kill Nick or Tomas to get it, or to simply bully them into submission, I am not sure. Either way, I believe Nick has been lured into a trap. We are the Heathertons' best hope for survival. Eight brigands was far too many for me to take on alone. So I need your help."

Mechanics