Chapter 2: Timeas' Folly

rogueblade0729

Amdiran, Son of Amdirgir | Dunédain Warden 3
spacer.png

AC: 15/17 | HP: 22/22 | HD: 3/3d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 17 | Warden's Gift: 3/3 | Discourse 1/1 | Foresight: 1/1
Shadow Points: 1 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Amdiran glances uneasily around the room as the company enters the inn. He whispers to his friends, "Be on your guard. This place has a fell reputation. Still, my people come here from time to time and it is the only inn near Midgewater. We need to replenish our supplies if we don't want to starve in the marshes."

The Ranger looks for any of his kin who are present and attempts to discern what he can about local rumors as he mingles with the patrons.

Name
Ever Watchful (Investigation) DC 12
1d20+3 16

Music: Home from the Hunt - LOTRO Soundtrack

The Forsaken Inn - Winter 2947 T.A.

The Forsaken Inn - Tolkien Gateway

"As ye wish," Jack the innkeeper said, pouring cheap ale into a mug until the foam nearly frothed over the top, and passed it to Orn. "Ye planning on staying the night?"

K8DBHGuA3XBXhH9LNZjL--1--ksebs.jpg?tr=w-1600,c-at_max

As Orn looked around the room, he saw the faces of Men who he'd probably avoid on most nights. Ill-favored looks turned his way from a few of them, more specifically to his hammer, but none spoke a word or made a move. Not yet, at least. The dwarf's gaze managed to notice the occasional glint of steel dangling from their belts, or unusually large sticks shaped into club-like weapons. While none of them were particularly well armored, there was a quiet tension in the room with the presence of the newcomers. Tomas, for his part, stuck right next to Orn, trusting the dwarf's appearance to protect him from harm.

As Fletcher began mingling with these guests, he happened upon a man dressed in rugged greens and browns, cloaked and hooded with a drink in hand. He was uncommonly ugly, but his appearance made him seem a very well-traveled sort.

rFKRZAUcpQdDd36r91rh--1--9hutb.jpg?tr=w-1600,c-at_max

"If you're seeking trouble, keep prancing about like a lost pup," the man remarked, his grey eyes peering hard at Fletcher.

OOC

Roles for Journeys

• GuideIn charge of all decisions concerning route, rest, and supplies. Guides rely on Wisdom and Survival proficiency. - Prudence
  • ScoutIn charge of setting up camp, opening new trails. Scouts rely on Stealth and Investigation. - Fletcher
  • HunterIn charge of finding food in the wild. Hunters rely on success with Survival checks. - Orn
  • Look-outIn charge of keeping watch. Look-outs rely on their abilities in Perception. - Léofwyn

OOC: -

Roll20 Map

To Post: Everyone!

@codexgigas @Grendel @Papa Bear @grimlock

images.jpg
Léofwyn (Rohirrim Knight level 3)

AC: 17/18* | HP: 29/29 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft
Inspiration: 0 | Shadow: 4 |Action SurgeStarting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action. Alternatively, if you spend Inspiration, you may give your Action Surge to a nearby ally as a reaction. The ally must use the Action Surge immediately. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again: 1 | Second WindYou have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your Warrior level. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.: 1 | Mark of HonorInspiration: You may draw Inspiration from your Charge. Once you have gained Inspiration from your Charge, you cannot do so again until you finish a long rest.: 1 | Sworn DefenderUpon choosing this archetype at 3rd level you gain the ability to nominate a Charge. At the end of a long rest, you can name a person or place and swear mighty oaths to protect and defend it. This Charge remains until either it is killed, or you change your Charge following a long rest. While near your Charge, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Wisdom bonus plus your Warrior levels. Alternatively, your liege lord may assign you a task, in which case the completion of that quest becomes your Charge, and you lose the temporary hit points if, in the judgement of the Loremaster, you tarry or stray from your quest. If your Charge is a place, it becomes a Sanctuary for you as long as it remains your Charge (see the Fellowship Phase chapter for more information on Sanctuaries).: Tomas 

Broad Sword+4, 1D8+2 Piercing, Finesse | Spear+3, 1D6+1 Piercing, (+4) Thrown Range 20/60, Versatile (1D8+1) | Short Bow+4, 1D6 Piercing, Ammunition, Range 80/320, Two-handed | Dagger+4, 1D4+2 Piercing, Finesse, Light, Thrown, Range 20/60 

Aelfric (Horse, Large) | AC: 12 | HP: 29 Speed: 60ft | Passive Perception: 10 Hooves+4, 2D4+2, Charge Trained Mount

Léofwyn entered last after securing their ponies and Aelfric. She had bypassed the inn in her previous travels. She was now glad she had. "What a desolate place this is." she murmured to the others. It was apparent her fair hair and foreign dress were attracting the gaze of more than a few patrons. She walked up to the bar with Orn. Noticing the rather surly looking inn keep, "A pair of rooms would do well, if you please." She placed small pile of coin on the table equal to roughly the cost of a night in Bree.

OOC

Léofwyn will suggest sharing a room with any that wish so the party may save funds.

Also, I marked Tomas for the Sworn Defender ability.

Edited by grimlock (see edit history)

The Forsaken Inn - Tolkien Gateway K8DBHGuA3XBXhH9LNZjL--1--ksebs.jpg?tr=w-1600,c-at_max

"Rooms?" Jack laughed, counting out the shield-maiden's coin on the bar. "Ah, ye must have us confused for the inn down the road, lass. We ain't got no rooms, lest ye'd like to sleep in the store rooms!" He then pointed a crooked finger to a short passageway, leading to a dimly lit room. "Communal sleeping is right there. Find yerself some floor space, we've got room to spare. And no, we ain't got no bed rolls to spare neither, so you'd best have brought your own. Or, I'll let ye sleep in the store room, at an appropriate price, of course."

Tomas, looking over at Léofwyn, could hardly hide his discomfort. "For the record... not what I was expecting," he mentioned to her and Orn.

OOC

Roles for Journeys

• GuideIn charge of all decisions concerning route, rest, and supplies. Guides rely on Wisdom and Survival proficiency. - Prudence
  • ScoutIn charge of setting up camp, opening new trails. Scouts rely on Stealth and Investigation. - Fletcher
  • HunterIn charge of finding food in the wild. Hunters rely on success with Survival checks. - Orn
  • Look-outIn charge of keeping watch. Look-outs rely on their abilities in Perception. - Léofwyn

OOC: Jack is charging 18 copper pieces for floor space in the communal sleeping room, or 4 silver pieces for the privacy of the store room. Again, this is double what you would normally pay at the Pony. If you'd like to haggle or negotiate a lower price, we can enter into an Audience with Jack, at which point I'd like someone to roll an Intelligence (Traditions) check for Introductions.

Roll20 Map

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)

image.jpeg.73940120db5f4a4029590082d07a0a45.jpegOrn, Son of Thain

Weaponmaster

HP: 32 / 32          AC: 20 (16)           Second Wind: Yes          Action Surge: Yes          Character Sheet

Looking around the room, Orn's eyes narrow. This lot was a hard, unsavory bunch. Orn was not afraid to knock some heads, but he'd just gotten his piss-poor ale, which even lousy, was still ale that could be drunk. Getting a fresh tankard, the last thing he wanted was to spill it out on the floor bashing it upside the head of some drunken lout.

"Keep yer wits about ye, boy." Orn says to Tomas quietly. "Even if ye think ye can take one o' them in a fair fight, it'll be in no way fair. And yer as likely ta get gutted from behind as left ta pass."

images.jpg

AC: 17/18* | HP: 29/29 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft
Inspiration: 0 | Shadow: 4 |Action SurgeStarting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action. Alternatively, if you spend Inspiration, you may give your Action Surge to a nearby ally as a reaction. The ally must use the Action Surge immediately. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again: 1 | Second WindYou have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your Warrior level. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.: 1 | Mark of HonorInspiration: You may draw Inspiration from your Charge. Once you have gained Inspiration from your Charge, you cannot do so again until you finish a long rest.: 1 | Sworn DefenderUpon choosing this archetype at 3rd level you gain the ability to nominate a Charge. At the end of a long rest, you can name a person or place and swear mighty oaths to protect and defend it. This Charge remains until either it is killed, or you change your Charge following a long rest. While near your Charge, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Wisdom bonus plus your Warrior levels. Alternatively, your liege lord may assign you a task, in which case the completion of that quest becomes your Charge, and you lose the temporary hit points if, in the judgement of the Loremaster, you tarry or stray from your quest. If your Charge is a place, it becomes a Sanctuary for you as long as it remains your Charge (see the Fellowship Phase chapter for more information on Sanctuaries).: Tomas 

Broad Sword+4, 1D8+2 Piercing, Finesse | Spear+3, 1D6+1 Piercing, (+4) Thrown Range 20/60, Versatile (1D8+1) | Short Bow+4, 1D6 Piercing, Ammunition, Range 80/320, Two-handed | Dagger+4, 1D4+2 Piercing, Finesse, Light, Thrown, Range 20/60 

Aelfric (Horse, Large) | AC: 12 | HP: 29 Speed: 60ft | Passive Perception: 10 Hooves+4, 2D4+2, Charge Trained Mount

She offered a cordial smile to the man, "We are certainly comfortable enough with arrangements in the common room. However, we are also in need of supplies. If you are able, perhaps we can come to an accord to include both lodging and supplies at a fair price." The shield-maiden spoke with a degree of authority, learned from years of attending court meetings at her father's side.

OOC

Léofwyn will enter into an audience with Jack. In doing so she will invoke her background feature Sigil of Your MasterAs an emissary you are entitled to a certain consideration amongst foreign peoples. While you cannot speak with the authority of your lord and master, you do receive some official respect. You can expect to pass through the lands of other Free Peoples unmolested, be able to call upon other kings and chieftains for lodging and be received into the halls of power. to help in her traditions check (using the house rule to add 1D4)

edit: added 1D4 as well for her distinctive quality (Merry)

Edited by grimlock (see edit history)
Name
Traditions
1d20+1d4+2 5,2
Adding 1D4 to the traditions check for her distinctive quality
1d4 4

2NWcQT9m.jpg

Prudence Whitfoot (Hobbit Treasure Hunter 1)

AC: 15 | HP: 17/17| Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 13 | Investigation: 12 | Speed: 25 ft

Prudence made every effort to remain unseen, staying in the shadows where she can keep an eye on her companions and the unsavory lot in here. This was the first time she was in a place where the Shire Hobbits' opinion of Men seemed to be true and she found herself disappointed in these men for doing so.

Name
Hide (DEX(Stealth))
1d20+8 11

spacer.png

AC: 15/17 | HP: 22/22 | HD: 3/3d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 17 | Warden's Gift: 3/3 | Discourse 1/1 | Foresight: 1/1

Amdiran gives the ugly, well-traveled man a discerning glance. While he doesn't believe he knows the man, he takes a moment to see if he knows of any Rangers who match the man's description. He flashes the surly man a smile. "I intend no offense. I'm interested in any local news. I'm sure you know as well as I how important it can be to stay well-informed while on the road. I'd be happy to buy you a drink for your time," he says.

Name
Insight
1d20+5 16

The Forsaken Inn - Tolkien Gateway rFKRZAUcpQdDd36r91rh--1--9hutb.jpg?tr=w-1600,c-at_max

The man quietly watched Fletcher, a cunning gaze studying the Ranger. After the offer was made, he slowly replied, "Offering a drink from this place is nigh insulting, stranger. But, 'tis better than swamp water, I suppose." If Fletcher followed through and bought him a mug of ale, he would accept it wordlessly and gulp down a few mouthfuls, before turning back to him. "Alright, you have my attention. What do you want to know?"

Interestingly, this man did happen to remind Fletcher of a noteworthy Ranger he's heard of before. His right name was Mallor, but in the Bree-lands, he answered to Tarry-Mack as well. He had a reputation for being argumentative and uncouth, even compared to other Rangers. However, he was also known for being loyal and stalwart to the few friends he had. He has traveled alone for most of his life, and has gone from shore to mountains and back again, so encountering him is a rare thing indeed. If his friendship could be won, he may prove a valuable ally in the days to come.

OOC

Roles for Journeys

Roll20 Map

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.png

Amdiran hands over coins to buy the stranger a mug of ale. He watches the other man take a sip from the not-too-clean mug. "I heard tell one of a man matching your description, I believe," he says quietly. "You aren't known as Tarry-Mack, by any chance, are you? The man my kinfolk told me of was a wanderer. My companions and I find ourselves venturing into Midgewater. Since we cannot avoid the journey, I'm interested in any news of the roads and conditions in the area."

• 2 weeks later...

The Forsaken Inn - Tolkien Gateway rFKRZAUcpQdDd36r91rh--1--9hutb.jpg?tr=w-1600,c-at_max

A queer look crossed the man's eyes as he sized up Fletcher. "You've a keen mind, young man," he remarked. "Aye, that be my name. A journey into the Marshes, you say? You must either be mad or desperate to brave such a passage around Yule-time." Tarry-Mack took another gulp of his ale, his face grimacing as he choked it down. "Nay, I've little news about the Marshes, no more than what a traveler like you must already know. But, you'd best be wary. Winter draws attract the worst sort of folk here, beyond the usual rabble. It's the only safe haven from the cold for miles around, and most of them won't dare show their faces in Bree proper. Mind your luggage, keep an eye out for footpads, and tell no one of your errand."

He leaned back in his seat then, crossing his arms across his chest. For a few moments, he stared at Fletcher with a mean look, before asking, "Now that you know my name, I'd say it's only right if you told me yours."

OOC

Roles for Journeys

Roll20 Map

The Forsaken Inn - Tolkien Gateway K8DBHGuA3XBXhH9LNZjL--1--ksebs.jpg?tr=w-1600,c-at_max

Jack gave the shield-maiden a suspicious look at her offer. "Supplies?" he questioned. "Do I look like a market to ye?" After a pause, he looked around the room, as if taking into account who all else was in the room. Then, folding his hands on the bar top, he continued, "Well, I've a policy 'ere, one that everyone in the room knows. If ye'd like to negotiate a lower price, another price must take its place. I've a number of, shall we say, 'jobs' that need doing. Ye seem a capable lot. The more of these jobs ye cross off my list, the more I'll be willing to lower yer price. An' of course, if ye do fine enough at 'em, we can circle back to the matter of 'supplies'. That sound fair to ye, lass?"

OOC

Roles for Journeys

Roll20 Map

images.jpg

Inspiration: 0 | Shadow: 4 |Action Surge: 1 | Second Wind: 1 | Mark of Honor: 1 | Sworn Defender: Tomas 

Broad Sword | Spear | Short Bow | Dagger 

Aelfric (Horse, Large) | AC: 12 | HP: 29 Speed: 60ft | Passive Perception: 10 Hooves Trained Mount

Léofwyn nodded and considered the proposal. "That depends upon the nature of the job. Tell me of what you need, and I shall confer with my colleagues."

OOC

spacer.png

Amdiran smiles at Tarry-Mack. "In Bree they call me Fletcher," he answers. "Among my own people, I have other names, but Fletcher serves well here with unfriendly ears about. Unfortunately, my errand in the marshes cannot be postponed. I am loath to venture into them at the dying of the year. My own journeys have rarely taken me into their depths. I range most often near Breeland. I have scarcely ventured this far east in years." The younger Ranger sighs. "I wish this place were more like the Pony. I am grateful for your warning and will heed it."

"Picky, are we?" Jack retorted, raising an eyebrow at Léofwyn. "Look around ye, lass. It's no secret this place could use a few weeks of hard labor to fix up, but ye think I can do all that meself? Nay. If ye be crafty folk--and I know the dwarf is in yer company--ye should have no problems with a little honest work."

He then raised his left hand and flicked out his last three fingers. "Three jobs of that sort, and ye stay the night at half price." He then flicked out his index finger and thumb, plus the thumb of his other hand. "Six jobs, and ye stay for free. But one night only!"

OOC

Roles for Journeys

Roll20 Map