Chapter 2: Timeas' Folly

rogueblade0729

Music: Unknown in the Wild - LOTRO Soundtrack

The Forsaken Inn - Winter 2947 T.A.

ErUkF9OcQ0FLd31MmEB5--1--1l32l.webp.3987f74770aa485abd4699af51da7be1.webp

After another hour of slogging through the swamp, the Company found a few jagged fingers of worked stone rising from the snow and the mud. These could be seen in a curious formation. Here, a cracked and weathered marble floor, half-sunk in the swamp. There, the remains of a fallen wall. This was once a town, perhaps, or a great palace in some age past. Whatever splendor or treasure it might have once had has long since been lost to time.

At twilight, they finally come upon the King's Chair. In the gloaming, it seemed as though a figure sat upon the broken seat. As the companions came closer, they discovered it was not a man, but rather a huge nest of stinging insects! Disturbed, the insects swarmed into the evening sky, and for a moment the Company had the disconcerting impression that the insect-swarm took the form of a huge man-like figure, crowned with the dying sun. As the swarm flitted away, the silence of the marsh is suddenly filled with the neek-breek sound of other insects.

"What was that?" Tomas asked aloud. His fear, however, was quickly replaced with curiosity, approaching the Chair. It was carved from stone in the Númenórean fashion, and while time has not been kind to it, the expert craftsmanship of the work was still plain to see. Tales of similar chairs were suddenly recalled to the minds of both Fletcher and Léofwyn: the Seat of Seeing upon Amon Hen, and the Seat of Hearing upon Amon Lhaw, two hills that accompanied the legendary Argonath. It is said these seats grant whoever sat upon them enhanced senses, vision keener than an eagle, hearing sharper than a rabbit.

If chancing the Marshes for sign of the Black Barrow no longer appealed to the Company, the King's Chair may be able to aid their search. Though, the queer behavior of the insect swarm may be warning enough to avoid using such power, for one never knows what may be revealed to them.

OOC

Roles for Journeys

• Guide - Prudence
  • Scout - Fletcher
  • Hunter - Orn
  • Look-out - Léofwyn

OOC: As a reminder, if you have not already, you must roll a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw or gain 2 points of Shadow. If you have already done so, please update your character sheets and your post templates accordingly.

You have found the King's Chair! For doing so, everyone gains 50 XP. This is a powerful relic of the past that can help you in your search for the Black Barrow. All you have to do to use it is sit upon it and allow it to reveal its secrets to you, whatever those might be. Alternatively, if you would rather not risk such things, you can return to the Marshes, though locating the Barrow in such a fashion will be difficult: a DC 18 Intelligence (Investigation) check will be required. The choice is yours.

Roll20 Map

To Post: Everyone!

@codexgigas @Grendel @Papa Bear @grimlock

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)

Amdiran, Son of AmdirgirDunédain Warden 3
spacer.png

AC: 15/17 | HP: 22/22 | HD: 3/3d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 17 | Warden's Gift: 3/3 | Discourse 1/1 | Foresight: 1/1
Shadow Points: 3 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Amdiran feels a grim and fell mood settle upon him as the company slogs through the frozen marshes. Once they come to the King's Chair. The Ranger moves toward it quickly. "I will not be frightened by vermin," he says, his voice much harsher than normal. "The tales of my people speak of the works of Numenor which the men of Gondor and Arnor wrought when they were new-come to these lands. Upon Amon Hen and Amon Lhaw, there are seats which reveal many things. I shall sit upon this one and see if it is their like. And if it is, its knowledge is mine by birthright." He does not give his companions time to object. Once he reaches the chair, he sits upon it, eager to learn its secrets.

Amdiran stepped forth to claim the power of his people. Indeed, as soon as he was settled, he felt his gaze begin to extend as the horizon swiftly accelerated towards him. It did not take long for him to master the Chair, for as he looked about, he found that one particular mound somehow seemed more significant than all the rest. However, as he marked in his mind where this mound was--only a short journey in the deepening night--his heart suddenly grew heavy with grief and sorrow. Within that mound, he had a strong intuition that his father was laid to rest there.

But, wait, Amdiran's father died hundreds of miles to the east, didn't he? He fell and was buried by his people far from such horrible places as this, wasn't he? Why was his soul now overwhelmed with such a heavy burden of loss? There is a brief moment, only a spark of clarity, for the Ranger to harden himself against such false memories.

OOC

Roles for Journeys

• Guide - Prudence
  • Scout - Fletcher
  • Hunter - Orn
  • Look-out - Léofwyn

OOC: As a reminder, if you have not already, you must roll a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw or gain 2 points of Shadow. If you have already done so, please update your character sheets and your post templates accordingly. I will roll for Prudence, as I have not heard from Grendel in some time. EDIT: Looks like she resisted! Hobbits truly are remarkable creatures.

Amdiran has looked through the eyes of the King's Chair. However, in doing so he experiences something unnatural, and must make a DC 15 Charisma saving throw or gain 2 Shadow points.

Roll20 Map

Name
Prudence Wisdom Save vs Corruption
keep(2d20,highest,1)+3 16,4

images.jpg
Léofwyn (Rohirrim Knight level 3)

AC: 17/18* | HP: 29/29 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft
Inspiration: 0 | Shadow: 4 |Action Surge: 1 | Second Wind: 1 | Mark of Honor: 1 | Sworn Defender: Tomas 

Broad Sword | Spear | Short Bow | Dagger 

Aelfric (Horse, Large) | AC: 12 | HP: 29 Speed: 60ft | Passive Perception: 10 Hooves Trained Mount

Léofwyn watched silently as Amdiran sat in the chair. She recalled stories of men who built such things in ages past. It was strange to her to find one here among the marshes.

She noticed a change in the Ranger as he sat up. "What is it? What did you see?"

OOC

image.jpeg.73940120db5f4a4029590082d07a0a45.jpegOrn, Son of Thain

Weaponmaster

HP: 32 / 32          AC: 20 (16)           Second Wind: Yes          Action Surge: Yes    Shadow: 2       Character Sheet

Orn scowls as he watches the Ranger take the chair. The dwarf did not like this, not any of it. He turns his head this way and that, looking around the area. He hated this place. He was starting to miss the caves of Erebor and swore that when he returned, he'd never leave them again except to go to war.

The warrior's mind was clouded and, for the moment at least, he forgot that he loved the wide open fields of the Breelands and that he enjoyed fishing off of the dock at Long Lake. But places like this and Mirkwood clouded his mind and made him think dark thoughts.

spacer.png

AC: 15/17 | HP: 22/22 | HD: 3/3d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 17 | Warden's Gift: 3/3 | Discourse 1/1 | Foresight: 1/1
Shadow Points: 5 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Amdiran's arms go rigid as his hands grasp the arms of the King's Chair. His vision sharpens, and it all becomes so clear, even as the faces of his companions grow strangely dim and blurry. He cries out, a desperate sound filled with grief and pain. "Father!" he cries. "Who would despoil your tomb? Why are you here, so far from where I laid you? What mischief of the Shadow is this? What fell spirits move here?"

He leaps to his feet, anger giving him strength. He snarls as he turns to his companions. He looks each of them in the eyes, and they see a fell and fierce glow in the Ranger's usually kind eyes. He whirls toward Tomas suddenly. "What have you done, Bree-man?" he snarls. "It was your uncle who set these events in motion. Why has he disturbed the graves of the Dúnedain? Who brought Amdirgir's bones here? Was it him? Was it you? Tell me!" His hand seems to move of its own accord, grasping for the hilt of his sword. Although he does not draw it for the moment, it is clear that violence clings close to Amdiran now.

Edited by codexgigas (see edit history)
Name
Charisma Save
1d20+5 4

AC: 17/18* | HP: 29/29 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft
Inspiration: 1 | Shadow: 4 |Action Surge: 1 | Second Wind: 1 | Mark of Honor: 0 | Sworn Defender: Tomas 

Aelfric (Horse, Large) | AC: 12 | HP: 29 Speed: 60ft | Passive Perception: 10 Hooves Trained Mount

Léofwyn was startled by Amdiran's sudden change in demeanor and sprang forward to step between the ranger and Tomas. "Stay your hand!" She commanded. "The boy has done no wrong. What madness has come upon you to turn so violently?"

OOC

Léofwyn will use her Mark of Honor to take Tomas as her charge and gain a point of Inspiration.

spacer.png

Amdiran whirls from Tomas and turns to Léofwyn. A sneer curls on his lips, an expression none of his companions have seen on his face before. "Dost thou think to lecture an heir of Númenor, Shield-maiden? My people were masters of Middle-Earth before yours crawled across the Misty Mountains. I mastered the King's Chair, and it showed me much. Our aim lies there," he says, pointing in the direction of the barrow. "As do the bones of my father. I know not how they came to rest there, as that is not where I laid him. Some mischief is afoot, and I mistrust these Bree-men."

He takes a menacing step toward her and then falters. The reality of his speech falls upon him all at once, the words seeming to stain his lips. He shudders, then falls to his knees. "Forgive me," he whispers, his head hanging low. "I think the Chair may have mastered me, rather than I it. My ancestors may have made it before our skill waned, but it is clear the Shadow rests heavily upon it now. I... I loved using it, even as it filled me with hatred. It calls to me, and I would use it again, even knowing the terrible cost I paid. You must not let me use it again. Overpower me and restrain me, if you must. I may not be able to resist its call otherwise."

The Ranger remembers the tantalizing thrum of the Chair's power in his veins. His fingers twitch, remembering how well they fit on the arms of the stone seat. The world seems dull now, as if some veil had been thrust over his eyes. "I dare not stay here. The Chair calls to me, and I yearn to answer. After the hard words I spoke, I would not blame you for abandoning me, but I do not think I can leave here without all of your aid."

"I've done nothing of the sort, honest!" Tomas hastily answered Fletcher during his outrage, holding his hands up defensively. "I've not gone further north nor east than Archet. I've never been to this swamp, my dad always keeping me from coming here, even with Uncle Tim! I swear!"

When things finally calmed down, the Bree-lad quietly sheltered himself behind the Shield-Maiden. She seemed to have his back more than anyone in the Company, so it was only natural for him to flock to her.

OOC

Roles for Journeys

• Guide - Prudence
  • Scout - Fletcher
  • Hunter - Orn
  • Look-out - Léofwyn

OOC: Roleplay at will! Once it seems like the scene is ended, we will move on to the Black Barrow. OooOOOooo...

Roll20 Map

Weaponmaster

HP: 32 / 32          AC: 20 (16)           Second Wind: Yes          Action Surge: Yes    Shadow: 2       Character Sheet

"Then let's destroy the chair! What are we waiting for?" Orn says as he hefts his hammer.

(((OOC: I'm hoping someone stops him before he hits it and destroys his hammer like Gimli's ax when he tries to destroy the ring)))

images.jpg

Inspiration: 0 | Shadow: 4 |Action Surge: 1 | Second Wind: 1 | Mark of Honor: 1 | Sworn Defender: Tomas 

The air seemed thick about her, and it was not until Orn spoke that Léofwyn seemed to realize that her sword was partially out of the scabbard. Her face twisted in horror at the realization. Had the display of madness frightened her so much that she would strike down a friend? Or was it a compulsion to protect Tomas from the ranger? Perhaps both?

She shook her head and sheathed the sword in embarrassment. "Come now friend, let us not be swayed by the shadow of this place and depart swiftly. Whatever treachery that has been laid upon you by the chair is fleeting. We shall journey to the black place together. If the bones of you father have truly been defiled, then let us seek to reclaim his remains and lay them in a place of honor." She offered a hand outstretched to Amdrian.

OOC

spacer.png

Amdiran takes Léofwyn's hand and rises to his feet. "Thank you," he says. "A madness took me, but it has passed."

The Ranger places a restraining hand on Orn's arm. "Nay, friend, do not destroy the Chair. It was a cunningly wrought thing once, and I am loath to see all of my people's great works fall into ruin. It may be that Lord Elrond or another of the Wise might yet remove the fell enchantments the Shadow has laid upon this work of Arnor. And who knows, one day the king might return and sit here, having need of the Chair's sight."

Weaponmaster

Orn really felt like smashing up the chair with his mallet. The sour swirl in his mind made him think that a bit of senseless violence would drive the dark pallor from his mind. But this was an object fashioned by Amdiran's people and it was one of their descendants that should decide its fate. He knew that his own great grandfather's chair was the high seat of his house and if it were senselessly destroyed, he would be very angry indeed. As well, though he'd never met Elrond, he'd heard the great elf's name mentioned in reverence for his many great deeds and wonders. If the stories were true, Elrond had even been there when Isildur claimed the ring in the great battle that killed the dark lord, Sauron. And someone like that might indeed know some trick of sorcery that might drive the shadow from such a great object

It was said that the ring had been lost like its master but Orn knew better. Some uppity muckity muck in Gondor probably claimed the ring for himself when an arrow claimed Isildur's life and acted like he didn't know what happened to it. Even now, it probably sat in some secret treasure vault generation after generation, a testament to the thievery of the race of Men.

"Cursed men." Orn said under his breath and immediately felt guilty for his fel thoughts about Men for he had count two of their kind among his dearest and most trusted friends.

Orn shouldered his hammer and gave a 'harrumph' in the direction of the seat of Arnor, then followed after the ranger.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

Music: Among the Barrow Downs - LOTRO Soundtrack

image.png.aa857605d5394620d56e12688502ac48.png image.png.3696a68d0d96fef285379cbe03c9667d.png

The journey to the Black Barrow was only about five miles. However, considering that night had already fallen by the time the Company departed the King's Chair, they made camp shortly after the ruins were out of sight. It was foolish, even to young Tomas Heatherton, to plunge headlong into a barrow in the dead of night! Unfortunately, sleep was not as restful as they had hoped, what with the freezing cold and the occasional cluster of midges crawling out from under the snow and swarming the companions. Morning came later than they hoped, too. Gone were the days of early sunrise in the summer. Still, being so close to the goal of their quest, they picked themselves up, brushed the snow from their cloaks, picked the bugs from their hair, and set out once more.

Noon was still several hours away when they finally arrived. The Black Barrow was a steep-sided mound lined with stones. Climbing up, the Company discovered a large flat stone that's clearly been moved several times in the past, judging by the scratch marks on its underside. Tomas, mustering his adventurous spirit, moved forth to push the stone aside, but as he did his foot suddenly snagged on something under the snow! Brushing it aside, he gasped in alarm, taking a hasty step back.

"Look!" he cried, pointing at the disturbed snow. "Bones in the bog!"

The Bree-lad spoke true. Near the entrance to the barrow were two skeletons, decayed remains of two lost souls. One was notably larger than the other; if the Company had to hazard a guess, one of these was a Man, the other a Dwarf. Based on the weapons protruding from their remains, it was clear that they were murdered. Upon closer inspection, they noted that while the Man had a dwarvish axe embedded in the rear of his skull, the Dwarf had a simple iron sword stuck in his back, right between the ribs and into the heart. If they killed each other, how is that possible? Both blows are fatal, and neither could have lived long enough to inflict the other, especially from behind.

Tomas stared at the bones for a few moments, then squinted his eyes and shook his head. "Bah, no time for mysteries. My inheritance awaits!" he declared, lighting a torch and stepping forward. Bracing his shoulder against the stone, the Bree-lad grunted and shoved as hard as he could. As the stone was pushed aside, a waft of foul air exhaled from the barrow, causing his torch to flicker blue and green, followed by another swarm of flies. The way into the Barrow laid open...

"Come on!" he encouraged, waving the others after him. He leaned forward, pressing his torch ahead to peer into the barrow. From the entrance hole was a sharp drop to the floor, approximately twelve feet in height. While there may have been stairs at some point, time and the shifting ground of the Marshes has long since eroded them. It will take nimble hands to carefully descend the uneven surface, or a securely tied length of rope to one of the nearby barrow-stones.

OOC

Roles for Journeys

• Guide - Prudence
  • Scout - Fletcher
  • Hunter - Orn
  • Look-out - Léofwyn

OOC: You have reached the Black Barrow! But you have also uncovered evidence of a strange murder that occurred here long ago. The question is, who will descend into the Barrow, and who will remain outside?

I have also updated the Roll20 map to show you the inside of the Barrow. If you are remaining topside, just stay on the stone platform. If you're going inside, move your character accordingly. To descend the Barrow's entrance safely, you either need to lower a bit of rope (no check required), or make a DC 10 Acrobatics check.

Roll20 Map

Weaponmaster

#3 HP: 32 / 32          AC: 20 (16)           Second Wind: Yes          Action Surge: Yes    Shadow: 2       Character Sheet

"Now ye just hold up, young lad. Don't be goin' barreling into a place without first doing a bit of inspection around the place." The dwarf said as he unslung his large shield and prepared to descend first into the hole.