Episode 1 - For a Few Credits More

Malkavian Grin

d64435c2724347529e2f8bb2c29933c1.jpg.4e41029397fc2a3768c425da31c6f6f8.jpgR2-K8 "Kate"
Class III Astromech Droid

Vitality: 11 / 11

Jeela's voice coming through on K8's channel prompts a surprised little peep from the astromech, whose head swivels toward the owner, just before she heads outside. While it wasn't out of the question that someone of particular means could so easily discover a private comm frequency so easily, she was sure that this woman did not sit and perform that sort of work. It was as if she had simply... known. So befuddled by this... intrusion, perhaps... the droid halts its countdown and remains with the proverbial finger on the trigger of the forewarned interference.

The others creep forward (or back out the rear entrance) and Kate strains to listen to the encounter outside. Somehow, Jeela had caused half the patrol to retreat, fearlessly (or foolishly) standing up to those who remained. Deep in her processors she believe it was the former and that this one was no simple rebel. It wasn't that she cared about the industry or the union... she cared about the injustice.

K8 is abruptly shaken from this distraction by the Ithorian's blaster barking and the lead stormtrooper's slagged end. She hardly waits for Jeela's command, teetering back and forth on her little legs and whistling in general alarm. She engages the network frequency feedback even as her words resound in her internals, sending a deafening blast of static and high-pitched whining over the local Imperial lines. Knowing such a thing would not easily be missed, she immediately jacks out of the computer and rolls back from it toward the doorway. <Dee deep beeboop babip bip>Imperial response times to distress signals is significantly elevated! she trills a potentially unnecessary warning.

The astromech looks to the Ithorian and adds, <Beedip boo bidip>We should find a door. She has opened her share for the being's comings and goings in the past. Perhaps he knows a good way to get them out of here, if needs be.

Vou ChonturVou.jpg.def8fa1e8de9f1265f18b1d47c3da8e5.jpg

Ithorian Scoundrel, Level 1

Vitality: 13 / 13

Vou cheers, internally, when the lead trooper goes down from his shot. He has been wanting to strike back against the Imps since they started running roughshod over the city. Pumped by his success he dives through the doorway and rolls across the floor coming up into a kneeling position where he pops off a couple of quick shots at the trooper shooting at him.

You guys are sooooo screwed. We've got a Jedi!

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)
Name
Shoot trooper using menace
2d6+1 4,6
damage
1d6 3
Hero point for extra damage
1d6 2

Kardassk

Attributes: Menace +2, Daring +0, Guile +0, Acuity +1, Presence +1, Spirit +2

Vitality: 14/14

As the Twi'lek ordered her guard droids to advance and fire, Kardassk crouched down behind a trashcan and fired his own shot from ambush. “You do realize that if this goes poorly, we're going to be in an Imperial prison at best and dead at worst, right?"  

Of course, suddenly seeing the human ignite a lightsaber was rather shocking. She's a Jedi? I suppose it would be bad form to do this and then collect the bounty on her. Maybe we go our separate ways after this, but if I run into her again, then I try to collect.

Name
Attack using Guile
2d6 5,2
Damage
1d6 3
Hero Point Reroll
2d6 6,3

Sienn, her two guard droids, and Kardassk made their way out the back of the restaurant and into an alley. They caught the tail end of the command from Jeela shortly before witnessing the bolts slam into the first stormtrooper.

Taking careful moments to aim, Sienn and company had a few shots miss, only hitting the trooper in the calf. His head snapped toward the alley and responded by pulling something off his utility belt. He threw it hard, bouncing off a wall and landing near the droids. Sienn recognized it immediately--an ion grenade. The device exploded in a spray of static charge, disrupting the droids' systems momentarily, and leaving her skin with a tingling sensation.

The blaster fire came at Jeela but she was undeterred, focusing the Force instead into her movements. She was proactive and could again feel the familiar sensation of the Force guiding her being. It was unrefined, however, after so much time had passed without feeling it's direct touch. She found herself fighting the motions ever so slightly. Each bolt slammed into her lightsaber and either snapped down into the ground or sprayed back at the soldier. The clumsy nature of a lack of practice doing it meant the bolts sailed harmlessly over the man's head--and were sent into the window of a nearby building. Within a moment, a curl of smoke came out of the window.

Hearing the sudden command from Jeela, K8 enacted her held comms burst for just such a moment. The little astromech let loose her worst, sending a high-pitched noise into the local Imperial channel. Both soldiers cried out loud enough to be heard through their helmet, as the burst knocked their microphone offline. A moment later and K8 was also in the alley, just behind the Trandoshan and Twi'lek. Any sooner and she might've been hurt by that grenade!

With a dive back further into cover, Vou unleashed even more hot plasma at the stormtroopers. There was vindication within those shots, landing squarely in the soldier's mid-section. Luckily it was also the same one Sienn had fired on, and the man lay sprawled on the ground, unmoving. Some blaster fire had come his direction, but landed instead at the edge of the glass. It warped and shattered under the strain--screams of panic echoed from the cafe, though no one had been hurt. Teel now had a slugthrower in her hands and was knelt behind her counter-top, making sure the civilians with her were protected. "Ahh, not my window!" she shouted.

Kardassk wasn't about to be shown up, also taking the opportunity to shoot at the stormtroopers from a hidden angle. With only one left, he fired and landed a series of bolts in the trooper's ribs in satisfying succession. Had it not been for the distracting ring in the man's ears, he might've heard the whine of blaster fire coming out of the alley. Instead he crumpled on the ground, clutching his wounds as his gun clattered several feet away. He groaned from pain--he was severely hurt but not dead, nor fighting back anymore. With one hand he pushed off his helmet.

The violence was over almost as fast as it had started. Through dumb luck or intention, the remaining stormtrooper was still alive, though without medical attention that wouldn't last.

"P-please... it hurts..." he pleaded softly.

OOC

Sienn's droids help damage the trooper, but not kill him. The Problem you get from the 7 (adding +1 Acuity to your roll for aiming) is a Delay, meaning the droids can't do anything for your next roll while their systems reboot.

Jeela defends herself, but doesn't get the reflection quite right. The Problem from your 9 is an Escalation, meaning a nearby building catches fire. It is on the third floor and looks like it's probably an apartment complex.

Attacks after K8's burst will get a +1 since the troopers can't focus effectively on dodging or firing back. That means Kardassk's roll becomes a Success instead of a Problem, and Vou's roll becomes a Critical; I decided to have him surrender instead of fighting back.

Bookkeeping

Hero Points

Vou - 2 spent

Sienn - 1 spent

Kardassk - 1 spent

Vou glances around as he rises back to his feet, making sure there are no more threats.

As much as I liked giving those bucket heads some payback for how they treat everyone, 3 of them ran away and they will be reporting back in, to their superiors and there will be more of them coming back soon. I fear we may have actually made things worse for everyone in this area. At least for a while.

I suggest everyone leave as quickly as possible. If you wish, seeing as we all stepped into together, I have place we can all retire to and figure out what we are going to do next. Either individually or together.

He waits to see if any of them want to come with him, but he is not going to wait very long. In a little bit there is going to be a couple squads of troopers in this area to try and figure out what happened. And even though they helped some locals escape, there is no guaranteeing that other locals will not turn them in to save their own skins.

Kardassk

“Wherever you're going, I'm going. We still have business to discuss," Kardassk growled as he holstered his blaster and left the alley. He looked up at the window where smoke was seeping out. "It's probably also a good idea that we get away from here before that fire spreads any further."

As the violence stopped and a few moments passed, the people in the cafe took the chance to run outside. Several took off down the street, but a few stayed behind a moment to give thanks.

"Thank you, young man," an older Chiss woman said to Vou, putting a hand on his shoulder for a second.

A young Rodian and Human walked up to Jeela and cheered--rather loudly. "WOOOooo!! I've never seen anything like that! That was seriously wizard!" said one. "Are you really a Jedi?" asked the other. The two seemed perhaps only a few years older than Jeela.

An opposite noise came from the building above as shouts of panic started to erupt. "Get what you can! It's spreading too fast!"

Teel walked outside, slugthrower over her shoulder. "Wow, that's damn impressive. Too bad about my window. You part of the Rebellion?" she asked pointedly of the group, looking between all those that had fought. "Even you, Mrs. Freeta? And little Kate. Quite the surprise." Teel paused to look at the fire, scrunching up her face in a grimace.

Some people rushed out of the ground floor of the burning building and started searching for something, but seemed unable to find it. A large lick of flame was now visible coming out of the window.

Vou gives a grunt of acknowledgement at the thanks. His attention turns to the flames starting to come out of the apartment.

One of the many drawbacks to living in the seedier parts of the city. They don't maintain the fire suppression systems down here, like they do in the richer parts. And considering how fast that fire started from a single blaster bolt, I would guess they were probably doing something illegal in there.

In any case, that fire is going to draw a lot of attention. Those who don't want to be caught up in it, follow me.

He makes no comment about being part of the rebellion.

He takes off down the street at a rapid walk and then ducks down an alley. After leading the others on a long and winding path, assuming nothing stops them along the way, he leads them through a hidden door in an alley. There are a couple of crates that look like they are sitting on the ground, but they are actually attached to and hiding a door. He motions the others inside as he looks around and makes sure no one is watching.

Down a short hallway that leads down, the group enters a room. It is approximately 20'x20' and is roughly furnished with cast away furniture. Two doors lead out of the room. As he enters he points at them.

That one is my bedroom and that one is the refresher. Grab a seat if you can find one. We should probably talk a bit now that we are in a safe place.

He does not bother to point out there is another entrance and exit because he is sure no one wants to go walking through the sewage drains. But it is better to have another exit that to get caught in a dead end.

d64435c2724347529e2f8bb2c29933c1.jpg.4e41029397fc2a3768c425da31c6f6f8.jpgR2-K8 "Kate"

The chaos of the firefight resolves as quickly as it began, punctuated by an impressed whistle from the rugged astromech. It's unlikely that she had anything to offer in the violence, so why is a mystery even to her own processors. Her dome swivels as others emerge from the cafe and she chortles, <Didip beeboop bip bip>Negative, Miss Teel. This is an altercation I should have stayed apart from. There is a wryness to the words, impossible to truly translate through binary. The slight teetering she does from foot to foot, on the other hand...

<Beep dit doobip beeyoop>I suggest, for your safety, we make ourselves scarce, Miss. They will return, and in greater number. K8 communicates to Jeela over the private comm channel as to not broadcast her words to the entire crowd. The astromech pivots into her rolling mode and does a brief spin before the Jedi in a sort of 'we should hurry' circle. With the Ithorian leading the way toward presumed safety (and without even needing her to open any doors!) Kate believes it's their best option.

<Doowip bip beep didoot>Miss Teel, I will contact Maintenance for a replacement window. They will be sympathetic to a small business owner who had it blasted out by Imperials. she whirs over one 'shoulder' as she passes the cafe owner, figuring it is the least they can do to make up for starting all this. And with rollers rolling, she chases after Vou to the temporary(?) shelter nearby.

Edited by Fletcher (see edit history)

Jeela AjikJeela ajik

Human Jedi, Level 1

Even after the fight, adrenaline still courses through Jeela's veins. Something beyond the fight itself: the thrill of connection to the force. It never used to feel like this. Curious...

The cheering shocks her back to the present. "Um-" she says, shaking off her thoughts. She nods her head. "May the force be with you." She knits her eyebrows in confusion at herself. Where did that come from?

Part of her really wants to help deal with the fire, to use her presence to organize an effort. But the others make good points - not only that more stormtroopers may arrive, but that the fire spread suspiciously fast. She has no desire to get caught up with drug dealers or the like. She turns to Teel.

"One doesn't have to be part of a rebellion to be fed up with how the empire treats us, and want do so something about it." Her mouth quirks down in a half-frown. "I'm sorry about the damage they did, I had hoped they would leave. Obviously, they made the wrong choice for all of us." Kate's promise brings her a smile. "If the droid can't sort it out, we all know where the money to fix this is."

She takes off after the Ithorian.

The flames continued to burn, along with shouts of panic. People began dragging belongings outside as Vou ran off with a ragtag group of would-be rebels in toe.

Not even half a minute after the group left the cafe, a loud explosion was heard from behind them. More flames roared from the building's windows as it spread throughout the upper floors. Imps would have their hands full with whatever that was about.

Finally having a moment to themselves, the group felt relatively safe and secure. Previously cut off conversations could be resumed, and new questions could be asked. The room wasn't much to look at, but it was Vou's to command.

Vou takes off down the street at a rapid walk and then ducks down an alley. After leading the others on a long and winding path, assuming nothing stops them along the way, he leads them through a hidden door in an alley. There are a couple of crates that look like they are sitting on the ground, but they are actually attached to and hiding a door. He motions the others inside as he looks around and makes sure no one is watching.

Down a short hallway that leads down, the group enters a room. It is approximately 20'x20' and is roughly furnished with cast away furniture. Two doors lead out of the room. As he enters he points at them.

That one is my bedroom and that one is the refresher. Grab a seat if you can find one. We should probably talk a bit now that we are in a safe place.

He does not bother to point out there is another entrance and exit because he is sure no one wants to go walking through the sewage drains. But it is better to have another exit that to get caught in a dead end.

So I guess we should start with introductions.

I am Vou Chontur. I am a native of Cloud City.

He then glances at Jeela, hoping she will speak next as he is very interested in what appears to be a Jedi in his home.

Kardassk

Possibly to Vou's disappointment, it is instead Kardassk who speaks next. "My name is Kardassk. I am a member in good standing of the Bounty Hunter's Guild, seeking an embezzling fugitive here in Cloud City. While it was nice earning Jaganaath Points with you, I must hunt my quarry down. Once we are all introduced to each other, Vou, please help me find the criminal, as originally discussed."

Jeela AjikJeela ajik

Human Jedi, Level 1

"I appreciate you providing a place to... lie low," Jeela says, looking around. Not the worst place she had ever hidden out, not by far. "And for the backup with the troopers. I wish they had run off instead. Too much damage and waste of life." She sighs. "My name is Jeela," is all she offers by way of introductions. "I have no wish to intrude on your business dealings." She finds a place to sit on the floor, as out of the way as possible in the small space.

"Thanks for your help K- K8," Jeela says hesitantly. She can't make up her mind how to address the droid. It's clear it's the same one she used to know, but equally clear Kate doesn't remember her. She wants to feel like she could jog it's memory, but that's not how droids work.

Edited by Primeval Stasis (see edit history)

K8 brings up the rear of the rapid departure of the new 'rebels', if they were already to be labeled as such. It takes a little bit of doing - and a little bit of tracking - but the astromech arrives at the concealed doorway just in time to see Vou beckon after everyone's disappearance. Droids are, after all, not the most dependable in feats of athletics. She whistles a sound of appreciation at not just leaving her behind. Organics were prone to abandoning their mechanical counterparts in tight spots, since they could easily be perceived as "part of the environment" or "just possessions" versus sentient beings. She, too, finds a place that is otherwise uncomfortable to one of the others, since she is simply going to stand there. <Deet dip dooip Beep>Please proceed in your dealings. Apologies if my actions have complicated the success of your Hunt, Master Kardassk. Her domed head turns to one of the others who has previously understood her, silently asking a translation for the Trandoshan.

<Beep bip boop Dooeep Dit Dit.Please call me Kate, Mistress Jeela. I am happy to be of service. Even for those unused to binary, it is clear that the little droid is pleased and a polite one. Straight answers and conversation could sometimes be a challenge to draw out of units like herself, due to so many of them going long into the spiral of program degradation from lack of memory wipes. (This is what the manufacturer claimed, therefore it is true.) It is indeed true that the droid does not indicate any memory of the young Jedi, nor does she seem to understand any potential subtext.

Dip beep biboop oooeet beeoop deep dip bip>If any of you are in need of guidance with the turmoil outside, I am happy to lead you through the sublevels to an appropriate destination. I have much of the engineering section mapped. She peeps again happily, turning to the Ithorian who could vouch for her ability to open doorways usually closed to the average being.

Edited by Fletcher (see edit history)