Chapter 3 โ€” A Dying Torch

iantruesilver

spacer.pngVal smiles at the trader, "I like that number a lot better, and let me tell you why. It's entirely likely that we would end up spending some of the money you give us on your own wares. So, if 2000 is too much, how about 1600 and 800 in credit with your own goods? Or just the 2000."

spacer.png"You gon' run ol' Sanvil outta business way you're goin!" Sanvil suggested somewhat jokingly, but something tells you that behind the humourous jest you can see that the merchant has no intention to take advantage of you. "Y'know, I'd very mauch like to give you what you're askin', but I'll tell ya wot. I can go as high as seventeen sixty... That's all the funds I got minus some operatin' expenses here and there."

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

T'Sarra Khonnor 

spacer.pngT'Sarra Khonnor — Tiefling Oracle 1
AC/T/FF 18/13/15 | HP 11/11 | Init +3 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 3/3/2 | Darkvision
Hero Points 1
Active Conditions: +1 to atk and AC vs. robots (robot slayer trait)
Spells:

1st: (2/day) Cure light wounds, Bless, Inflict Light Wounds
Cantrips: (unl) detect magic, mending, guidance, create water

At The Market T'Sarra rocked back and forth on her feet biting her tongue to avoid shouting out "We'll take it!!!" The others were the negotiators it seemed, and if they thought they could get a better deal, best to let them try. It was already more money than she'd seen in a lifetime. But if they were to challenge the dangers that had defeated Khonnir, who knew if even this would be enough?
Mechanics

I figure we sell everything that's identified and see what we have for coin. Then we can more intelligently split coin and make group purchases. Definitely the CLW wand fully charged will be helpful, as well as some ioun torches/everburning torches as people prefer, and waterproof bags.

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -2
Climb* +4
Diplomacy +7
Handle Animal +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +6
Survival +4
Swim* +4

* -2 ACP to str and dex skills  

image.jpeg.3f95306a23dfeb7a6f315970d6687d0e.jpeg

Statblock

[URL=https://test.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2744078][B][SIZE=+1]Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 11/11, [B]Speed[/B] 30ft [B]AC[/B] 16, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 0, [B]Ref[/B] 5, [B]Will[/B] 3, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 1 [B]silversheen, MC rapier [/B] +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2) [B]cold iron dagger [/B] +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2) [B] shortbow (20) [/B] +4 (1d6, x3) [B] Studded Leather[/B] (+3 Armor, +3 Dex) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15 [B]Condition[/B] None hero points: 1/1
Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, Level 1, Init 3, HP 11/11, Speed 30ft
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 3, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
silversheen, MC rapier +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
cold iron dagger +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
shortbow (20) +4 (1d6, x3)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15
Condition None
hero points: 1/1

"We'll take it," Vri said at the same time as Val, "And can I get a roll of that ion tape and one of those little machines to make it strong and weak again. Oh, and do you have maybe some of those everburning torches."

OOC

spacer.pngYour sale of the five wrecks to Sanvil having relieved you of armfuls of jagged metal and wires, he hands you the roll of ion tape and the zipstick.

"Wow, so you're really goin' down under the hill there then huh?" He comments after one of you flashes the writ given to you earlier from the councilwoman, and gives you no trouble in honouring the discount.

On mentioning everburning torches, he says, "Well I don't have mauch n'terms of magic items mahself, but I can give y'all these here pair'a sunrods fer free if ya waont."

"Alright, so! I owe you sixteen…" Sanvil does some mental math aloud as he starts counting up the money, placing three platinum ingots, fifteen platinum pieces, and fourteen gold pieces before you.

(( Sold destroyed arachnid robot (5) and destroyed robotu (1); Received 1,760gp plus sunrod (2). Vri purchased ion tape and zipstick for 96gp. ))

Statblock

[URL=https://test.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2744078][B][SIZE=+1]Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 11/11, [B]Speed[/B] 30ft [B]AC[/B] 16, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 0, [B]Ref[/B] 5, [B]Will[/B] 3, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 1 [B]silversheen, MC rapier [/B] +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2) [B]cold iron dagger [/B] +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2) [B] shortbow (20) [/B] +4 (1d6, x3) [B] Studded Leather[/B] (+3 Armor, +3 Dex) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15 [B]Condition[/B] None hero points: 1/1
Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 3, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
Condition None

"Thanks," Vri said, "now up to the next part of our shopping spree."

She would follow the others to other merchants to get some more equipment they needed.

OOC

to buy

collective: wand of CLW, 2 everburning torches, extra rope (I would say 3 coils (can be cheap rope), that gives us 150ft extra rope to mark the way underwater and make it easier to come back).

Vri: ion tape and zip stick (already bought), MC studded leather

T'Sarra Khonnor 

AC/T/FF 18/13/15 | HP 11/11 | Init +3 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 3/3/2 | Darkvision
Hero Points 1
Spells:

At The Market

T'Sarra smiled at Sanvil. Fair dealings always warmed up a tough first impression, after all. Maybe the guy wasn't so bad, just impetuous with the ion tape.

"We'll want to sell that big honking gold nugget too, but we know what it's worth and Sanvil won't have any more coin for it. Let's try the other merchants or guildhall"

Mechanics

T'Sarra's want list:

Communal

50 charge wand of CLW for communal (held by Rain since T'Sarra has the 5 charge one for now) 750 g

2 x everburning torch (held by Vri and ... maybe Val? who can't see in the dark?) 220 gold

3 x 50' of rope 3 gold (T'Sarra is happy to hold)

2 x scroll of lesser restoration (you never need it until you need it) I think held by Rain I guess? Rain needs to make a caster level check and not roll a 1 to use these, but I like those odds and if she hits the 1, the chance of avoiding a mishap is wisdom based so better her than me! 300 g

1273 of communal gear by my count

Personal

sell lamellar leather for 30 gold

purchase MW chain shirt for 250 gold

sell longspear, buy cold iron longspear net loss of 7.5 gold

sell morning star, buy alchemical silver morning star net loss of 94 gold

buy sleeves of many garments 200 gold

buy alchemist's fire x3 60 gold

buy scroll of endure elements x 2 50 gold

buy scroll of protection from evil x 2 50 gold

681.5 in personal spending. If it's too much for split I can cut some.

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -2
Climb* +4
Diplomacy +7
Handle Animal +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +6
Survival +4
Swim* +4

* -2 ACP to str and dex skills  

Rain-in-Summer

B8278D38-D56D-4D10-84D2-D1157F76821D.png.118b158dda0b886a8d97c1aa24ef7467.pngRain let’s the others take the lead on the haggling, and instead thinks about what she needs to buy.

OOC: I’m thinking of grabbing a couple toys:

Personal:
MW buckler: 155gp
10 Durable Cold Iron Crossbow Bolts: 40gp
2 Durable Adamantine bolts: 124gp
5 Acid Flasks: 50gp
2 Bottled Lightning: 80gp

4x trail rations: 2gp

Total: 451gp

It doesn't take much effort to sell off most of the rest of the excess items you have to various merchants at Market Square.

Except for a couple of items that had raised a few eyebrows before finally finding themselves at home with a curious enough collector of oddities, such as the bloodroot poison, strange religious symbols and the three vials of unholy water, the only other item that seems to find itself outside of your expectations is the gold nugget.

After presenting it to a merchant, you are informed that it is in fact an unworked piece of pyrite, and that he was only willing to pay six gold for it in its current state.

Val Only

As your companions discuss the items on their list to purchase, you note that some of these things could likely be found in various locations around Torch. Some best purchased at the general store owned by Inkrit Kollisun, others from Joram Kyte at the Temple of Brigh, and still more perhaps from various merchants and artisans at the Torch Guildhouse.

When it comes to alchemical items however, your mind blanks as to who else might be a reliable source to supply these goods than your own father. Khonnir Baine was, up until his recent disappearance, the town's primary alchemist after all, and you haven't seen any competition for his services necessarily, much less anyone skilled enough that you could trust to fill that role better than perhaps Barhuce or yourself.

And while there's a chance perhaps you might find some odd alchemical items available for purchase here or there, there's really no better guarantee of getting what you want than making them yourself.

(( Sold Longspear, Morningstar, Sickle, Arrow (76), Lamellar (leather), Bloodroot poison, Scroll of dimension door, Scroll of flaming sphere (CL 5), Scroll of haze of dreams, Scroll of implant urge, Vial of unholy water (3), Unholy symbol of Shiggarreb (Iron). Received 1067gp 2sp 9sp. ))

Name
???
1d20+6 20
???????
1d100 64
???-????
1d100 26
????
40; 34
1d100;1d100 [40]; [40,34]

Barhuce

spacer.png

Barhuce follows along, looking at all the equipment and possible upgrades, but he finally just tries to search out a ‘traveler’s anytool’

Statblock

[URL=https://test.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2740751][B][SIZE=+1]Barhuce[/SIZE][/B][/URL] M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 9/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30 [B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 0 [B]1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) [/B] 3 (1d4+4, x2) [B] light Mace [/B] 1 (1d6+1, x2) [B] Dagger [/B] 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2) [B] Lamellar Cuirass[/B] (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10 [B]Condition[/B] None
Barhuce
M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), Level 1, Init 4, HP 9/9, Speed 30
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 4, Will 0, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) 3 (1d4+4, x2)
light Mace 1 (1d6+1, x2)
Dagger 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
Lamellar Cuirass (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
Condition None

Actions Crunch

Statblock

Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
Condition None

"We really have to learn to distinguish those two," Vri said after the dissapointment with the 'gold' as soon as they were 'alone', "hey Barhuce, isn't there an alchemical test we can do to distinguish the pyrite from gold? Well, that you can do."

She would go from stall to stall, searching for some better armour and anything the party needed, chatting with merchants along the way. While she maybe wasn't good at knowing how much certain things cost, she was good at talking to people and learning things that way.

OOC

to buy

collective: wand of CLW, 2 everburning torches, extra rope (I would say 3 coils (can be cheap rope), that gives us 150ft extra rope to mark the way underwater and make it easier to come back).

Vri: ion tape and zip stick (already bought) (120gp), MC studded leather (175gp), 2 potions of CLW (100gp) for 395 in total

Edited by farothel (see edit history)

spacer.png

Val nods, "Some of what you guys want can be purchased at the general store owned by Inkrit Kollisun, others from Joram Kyte at the Temple of Brigh, and still more perhaps from various merchants and artisans at the Torch Guildhouse. As far as the alchemical items, let's just raid my dad's lab or make what we need there - he's the only real alchemist in town;,\ but keep a list, he will want to be reimbursed. I'll need to pick up a few things to suppliment what I have in order to make some more paper bullets for me and Violet."

The shopping trip takes you between the various stalls at Market Square, and then to the General Store and then all the way back across the other side of town to the Torch Guildhouse, and then finally to the Temple of Brigh. In the end, most things were easily found and purchased, with the exception of the alchemical items, for which Val has offered up the possibility of using the Foundry and its inventory as a potential resource.

Market Square

spacer.png

It takes some parsing through of the various stalls and each their diverse displays of things, but eventually both T'Sarra and Barhuce's search bear fruit. At a red-tarped stall with all manners of curios, the two each find something that they like, on top of a pair of dull grey ioun torches.

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

At some point as he's fiddling with the Traveler's any-tool, Barhuce overhears one merchant speaking to another, "We've always had problems with gremlins around these parts. I tell ya, them pests are always breaking things or running off with mah damn supplies. I'll bet they have a whole nest somewhere in those caves under Black Hill!"

(( Purchased Ioun torch (2) for 120gp; T'Sarra purchased Sleeves of many garments for 160gp; Barhuce purchased Traveler's any-tool for 200gp ))

General Store

spacer.pngAt the general store on Market Road, though Inkrit warmly greeted Val and everyone else as she normally does, she seemed to hit it off quite well with Rain, and spent a little more time making conversation there and showing her some the special stock currently in the store, while Val busies herself finding some much-needed ingredients for her gunsmithing and alchemical crafting as well.

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

While she professesses that her inventory caters more to the workers and artisans in town, and leaves the sale of weapons and armour to the guildhouse artisans, she does seem to carry plenty of gear for adventurers, as well as some unique and rare items occasionally brought to her by travelers. At the moment it seems she's carrying a Cloak of the hedge wizard (abjuration), a few boxes of stuff she calls "Trauma packs", a Wand of "technomancy" (44 charges), a +1 flaming warhammer, and something called a "Filter mask".

After a bit of chit-chat, the barbarian woman offered, "You know, I wonder what happened to that good-looking woman with the purple hair... I mean, it could be just me, but isn't it strange that she showed up a few days before the torch went out, and no one's even seen her since?"

(( Purchased Rope (50 ft.) (3) for 24sp; Rain purchased Trail rations (4 days) for 1gp 6sp; Val purchased ? for ?. ))

Name
AR: R
1d20 9
AR: B
1d20 8
???
1d4320 2010

T'Sarra Khonnor 

Hero Points 1
Spells:

At The Market

T'Sarra nodded to Val and announced, "We should be able to find most of the pricey stuff we want as a group at the temple. I can go talk to Father Kyte about it. I don't expect we need to be too concerned about being jumped on the streets of Torch, but since I'm really not looking forward to a repeat of the kidnapping, I wouldn't say no to some company. Let's meet back at Khonn.. er I mean Val's place in a couple of hours?"

T'Sarra took an ungodly amount of coin, more than she'd ever seen in one place in her life and headed for the temple of Brigh. There she attempted to purchase the wand, scrolls and if they had a few ioun torches all the better. Then it was around to the guild house for some improved armor and weapons and she was set.

Mechanics

Personal

sell lamellar leather for 30 gold

purchase MW chain shirt for 200 gold

sell longspear, buy cold iron longspear net loss of 5 gold, 5 silver

sell morning star, buy alchemical silver morning star net loss of 70 gold, 4 silver

buy alchemist's fire x3 60 gold (from Khonnir's place?)

buy scroll of endure elements x 2 40 gold

buy scroll of protection from evil x 2 40 gold

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -2
Climb* +4
Diplomacy +7
Handle Animal +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1