Chapter 3 โ€” A Dying Torch

iantruesilver

After leaving the general store, Barhuce, Val and Violet return to the Foundry Tavern to begin their tedious work of crafting items, while the others continue on with the rest of their shopping spree.

Torch Guildhouse

At the northeastern end of town, the Torch Guildhouse houses a guild of metatlurgists, artisans, and various smiths and armourers. Here, the party manages to find some appropriate gear to update or fill some needs. One couldn't help but notice that several of the merchants here are complaining about some kind of splitting headache.

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

Of course, as is nothing out of the ordinary, the half-elf and the tiefling both garner a decent share of looks as they each try on their new suits of armour.

(( Vri purchased Masterwork studded leather for 140gp; T'Sarra purchased Masterwork chain shirt for 200gp, Cold iron longspear for 8gp; Rain purchased Masterwork buckler for 124gp. ))

Temple of Brigh

spacer.pngComing back along Temple Street, one can hardly miss the domed portico of a religious compound, decorated by bronze wind chimes and clockwork statues.

spacer.pngBesides the muted regular tink-tink-tink of possibly some manner of labour being done in a nearby workshop, the place is currently quiet, and a couple of of older people seem to be deep in discussion about the growing problem of waste disposal in town.

At length, the man gets up and acknowledges you, his demeanour friendly and genial. Looking to those with whom he isn't familiar, he introduces himself as Joram Kyte, and offers to give a sermon in the name of the clockwork goddess Brigh.

It doesn't take very long for him to realize that you have offered your services to help the town, after which he expresses he is more than willing to help in whatever way he can. He tells you though that it will take him some time to scribe the scrolls and sort through his current inventory of wands to make sure he has the right one, but that he could meet you with all the items at Crowfeather Palace in the morning.

(( Purchased Wand of cure light wounds (50 charges) for 600gp, Scroll of lesser restoration (2) for 240gp, Scroll of magic weapon (2) for 40gp; T'Sarra purchased Scroll of endure elements (2) for 40gp, Scroll of protection from evil (2) for 40gp. ))

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)
Name
HA (B, R, T, Va, Vi, Vr, M)
31; 95; 27; 65; 13; 26; 81
1d100;1d100;1d100;1d100;1d100;1d100;1d100 [31]; [31,95]; [31,95,27]; [31,95,27,65]; [31,95,27,65,13]; [31,95,27,65,13,26]; [31,95,27,65,13,26,81]

image.jpeg.3f95306a23dfeb7a6f315970d6687d0e.jpeg

Statblock

[URL=https://test.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2744078][B][SIZE=+1]Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 11/11, [B]Speed[/B] 30ft [B]AC[/B] 16, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 0, [B]Ref[/B] 5, [B]Will[/B] 3, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 1 [B]silversheen, MC rapier [/B] +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2) [B]cold iron dagger [/B] +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2) [B] shortbow (20) [/B] +4 (1d6, x3) [B] Studded Leather[/B] (+3 Armor, +3 Dex) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15 [B]Condition[/B] None hero points: 1/1
Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, Level 1, Init 3, HP 11/11, Speed 30ft
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 3, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
silversheen, MC rapier +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
cold iron dagger +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
shortbow (20) +4 (1d6, x3)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15
Condition None
hero points: 1/1

The following morning Vri will head to the temple early to see if she can add 2 potions of Cure light wounds to the list, as she's a bit worried if the healers go down. She wants a back-up method to at least bring them back as he can't use the wand, potions are the way to go.

OOC

none

T'Sarra Khonnor 

spacer.pngT'Sarra Khonnor — Tiefling Oracle 1
AC/T/FF 19/14/15 | HP 11/11 | Init +3 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 3/3/2 | Darkvision
Hero Points 1
Active Conditions: +1 to atk and AC vs. robots (robot slayer trait)
Spells:

1st: (4 remaining) Cure light wounds, Bless, Inflict Light Wounds
Cantrips: (unl) detect magic, mending, guidance, create water

At The Guildhouse and Temple then back to Khonnir's

T'Sarra, having no use for her old armor with a new chain shirt in hand, looked left and right, then slipped the lamellar leather off and replaced it with the chain shirt, shaking her shoulders a little to get a feel for it. "You do good work, I love it. Might be back when I have a little more coin to get it enchanted. Sorry about your headache, maybe ... try not to drink the water for a while? Here, just drink this until it's gone, see if that helps. Come see me at Khonnir's place for more."

She found a convenient large bucket and filled it with clean water, looking back and forth. It'd take a while to do it for everyone, but she wanted to help out as much as she reasonably could. Then she stowed the spear and morning star and moved to the temple.

She happily exchanged a king's ransom worth of gold for the magical items they needed, to be delivered the next day, trusting a priest of Brigh and nodding to Father Kyte.

"No time for a sermon right now, we need to prepare for the expedition. I'll be back when ... well when is Brigh's holy day? You know what? We're not going to be going under the caverns until tomorrow, maybe a sermon and a blessing form Brigh is something I should make time for, yeah? I'll listen if you tell me what to do in response, I don't know the rituals of Brigh." She nodded her head respectfully, then found a spot to sit and listen to his sermon. Her oracle powers came from a mysterious place but you had to respect those who gained theirs from insight and devotion to a god or goddess.

After the sermon she added, "Waste disposal is going to keep being an issue until we get the Torch lit. But maybe we can help with the headaches, yeah? I've been creating clean water but if I'm down under the mountain I won't be able to make much for the town. Do you think you, and maybe some acolytes could crank some out? It'll take time to make enough for the town, but if you fill up a bunch of barrels and tell folks to stop drinking out of the polluted water they're dumping trash into, maybe that'll help with the headaches that seem to be going around?"

Mechanics

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -2
Climb* +4
Diplomacy +7
Handle Animal +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +6
Survival +4
Swim* +4

* -2 ACP to str and dex skills  

spacer.png

Back at the house, in her father's lab, Val prepares to craft paper bullets for herself and Violet, "If anyone needs help with any of the alchemical processes, let me know, I will try to aid you."

Name
Craft (Alchemy): Alchemist's Fire
1d20+10 3
Craft (Alchemy): Bottled Lightning
1d20+10 14
Craft (Alchemy): Durable Cold Iron Bolts
1d20+10 8
Craft (Alchemy): Durable Adamantine Bolts
1d20+10 12
Craft (Alchemy): Acid
1d20+10 9

Barhuce

spacer.png

Barhuce scratches his head. "Normally it takes a week or so to make much, but... Well, if your dad's lab is well stocked and equipped, there is a way to speed things up. It's just more expensive. What was on our wish list? ....

Hmmm.... well, acid flasks will take a day, even doing things this way. Alchemists fire should be 10 minutes a flask, durable bolts would be an hour per bolt. Hmmm.... Bottled Lightning.... I've never seen a recipe for hurrying it along."

Statblock

[URL=https://test.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2740751][B][SIZE=+1]Barhuce[/SIZE][/B][/URL] M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 9/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30 [B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 0 [B]1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) [/B] 3 (1d4+4, x2) [B] light Mace [/B] 1 (1d6+1, x2) [B] Dagger [/B] 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2) [B] Lamellar Cuirass[/B] (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10 [B]Condition[/B] None
Barhuce
M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), Level 1, Init 4, HP 9/9, Speed 30
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 4, Will 0, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) 3 (1d4+4, x2)
light Mace 1 (1d6+1, x2)
Dagger 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
Lamellar Cuirass (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
Condition None

Actions Crunch

Name
Craft (Alchemy): Alchemist's Fire
1d20+9 12
1d20+9 1
1d20+9 7
M Craft (Alchemy): Durable Cold Iron Bolts
1d20-1 10

The Foundry Tavern — Evening

While the others go about their shopping, Val and Barhuce return to the Foundry Tavern to begin their alchemical work, walking Violet and Matuq through their methods and formulae for the work.

Additionally, Val takes the time to instruct Violet on the creation of ammunition for their firearms, making sure to impart various important cautions of safety to the android.

(( Val crafted Alchemical cartridge (paper, bullet) crafted (12) for 57gp 6sp. Successfully crafted: Alchemical fire (6) for 96gp, Bottled lightning (2) for 64gp, Crossbow bolt (adamantine, durable) (3) for 148gp 8sp, Acid (—). ))

Temple of Brigh — Evening

"Build upon the work of others, and thereafter share your designs so that they can be further improved. In this way we are like dwarves standing upon the shoulders of giants, and so able to see more and see farther than the ancients…" The priest preached, imparting what seemed more like wisdom than any religious propaganda.

"We do not keep much of a schedule for holy days as such, but each temple keeps and celebrates the anniversaries for important discoveries and inventions of each their own community."

"Yes you may be correct. Though in the meantime, it is perhaps as important for us to keep directing what resources we can to remove waste from the town so we can keep any illnesses at bay." Father Kyte reasoned with T'Sarra, "That said, I will see what we can do."

Name
1d20+6 6
1d20+6 8

19 Arodus, Toilday

The next morning, when Vri goes to inquire about potions at the Temple of Brigh, an acolyte informs her that the "Clockfather" had already made his way to Crowfeather Palace, and that potion brewing is not something the temple is really equipped for, that she should seek the services of the Jhestine Imierin at her shop no North Bridge Road called "Tempting Tonics".

Tempting Tonics

spacer.png"Good morning, see anything you like, just holler." The sweet voice of a female greets from behind a counter, behind racks of ingredients, bins of herbs and many pots and flasks of various elixirs and brews. A silver head of hair, partially braided back, is carefully surveying some of the progress of the medicine making.

On the various shelves inside the shop is a wide range of potions and elixirs, neatly organized by their function to counteract various illnesses and conditions.

Along a corner shelf, there is even a small collection of things that perhaps appear technological in nature.

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

The healing potions are found and procured easily enough, and the beautiful half-elf has no problem accommodating the discount after seeing the writ from the town council.

(( Vri purchased Potion of cure light wounds (2) for 80gp ))

spacer.pngMaking your way up Black Hill Trail, you find that Joram Kyte is indeed already waiting for you in front of Crowfeather Palace, with several scrolls and a wand in hand.

He turns those items over to you after a short and practical greeting, as he walks with you further up the trail along the bald escarpment, toward the edge of Weeping Pond, a placid-looking pool set in by a crescent-shaped ridge. Despite the look of the place, no vegetation grows on the banks of this pond, and there is a bitter stink of sulphur and other chemicals exuding from the water, enough to make the eyes sting and weep after a few minutes at the shore.

A careful investigation reveals indeed that there is a large number of footprints here on the shore.

"I can give you twenty-four hours of water breathing divided equally amongst you." Joram Kyte says, "I realize that isn't very much, but hopefully it is enough for you to make some headway before you have to return for the day."

Statblock

[URL=https://test.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2744078][B][SIZE=+1]Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 11/11, [B]Speed[/B] 30ft [B]AC[/B] 16, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 0, [B]Ref[/B] 5, [B]Will[/B] 3, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 1 [B]silversheen, MC rapier [/B] +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2) [B]cold iron dagger [/B] +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2) [B] shortbow (20) [/B] +4 (1d6, x3) [B] Studded Leather[/B] (+3 Armor, +3 Dex) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15 [B]Condition[/B] None hero points: 1/1
Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 3, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
Condition None

"Thanks," Vri said as she looked over the rest of the store, stopping at the strange technological items, "What are those? It has a grip like one of those pistols one of my companions uses, but that's a very thin dagger that's attached to it. It looks like it will break at the first hit."

OOC

none

T'Sarra Khonnor 

AC/T/FF 19/14/15 | HP 11/11 | Init +3 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 3/3/2 | Darkvision
Hero Points 1
Spells:

At Khonnir's

T'Sarra,had little to offer for alchemy save moral support. Even her guidance orison didn't last long enough to lend any insight to the process. She focused instead on organizing her equipment, healing anyone who was still wounded (I don't think anyone is?) and staying out of the way.

The next morning she thanked Matuq for his help, slapped the big orc on his shoulder and pointed out, "Thanks for your help, you do good work and I'm sure it'll come in handy. If you have some time keep working on the stuff you all didn't get 'round to? It'll be a big help I'm sure we'll need to come in and out of the caves a few times before we find Khonnir and get the torch back on. And if you could spruce the place up, get the reagents re-stocked, that'd help too. I know you want Khonnir back as much as those of us going under, but we need you holding the fort back here. When we come back with Khonnir, and we're going to be sooner or later, you can bet on that, it'd be good to have his workshop ready for him. Keep safe and don't trust any dismantled robots, yeah? We'll be back soon, maybe not tonight but soon."

She clapped him on the shoulder again in thanks, picked up her pack with the extra rope and moved out. It was heavy, but she was strong, it wouldn't really slow her down.

At Crowfeather the next morning

T'Sarra crinkled her nose up at the smell of the place. She happily took the scrolls from Father Kyte, thanking him.

"I appreciate you putting this all together for us Father, and the offer of water breathing. Though no offense, but I'm not breathing that sludge unless I really have to. I guess with six of us that's four hours each? It'll give us a chance to look around and see if we'll need it to get out. Did anyone get any waterproof bags?" She called to the group, trying to remember their provisioning.

"These things probably shouldn't get wet. Might need a quick trip to the market."

With it all taken care of and the scrolls secured and waterproof, she was ready to take the water breathing blessing and head under.

Mechanics

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -2
Climb* +4
Diplomacy +7
Handle Animal +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +6
Survival +4
Swim* +4

* -2 ACP to str and dex skills  

Tempting Tonics

spacer.pngThe silver haired half-elven beauty gets up from her work, and comes around the counter to pick up one of the curious looking devices, the green liquid inside the vial sloshing sightly as she does.

"These little things here, they might just be the future..." She says, answering Vri's question rather crytpically. "Heh. Now if only I could figure out how to make more of them."

"I'm sorry, I realize that probably wasn't the answer you were looking for. They're um, some of the more, shall we say, technologically savvy folks in town have taken to calling them 'pharmaceuticals'. They're pretty much specialized potions, except you'd inject them into yourself as opposed to drinking them. That's why the needle."

"This green one here is called 'Cureall', it's for diseases and poisons. The red stuff there is 'Hemochem', basically acts like a potion of fast healing. And the orange ones are 'Cardioamp', it's to revive the recently deceased. That's the one you don't ever want to have to pull out."

Beside Weeping Pond

spacer.png"None taken, young lady. You're right to be suspicious of that water, in fact," Joram Kyte said in response to T'Sarra's seeming aversion of the water, explaining, "You see, this is the whole reason that Crowfeather Palace exists. Before the water purification facility was built, the townspeople had suffered various strange afflictions and birth defects from drinking this water on an extended basis. So you won't catch me bottling this stuff up and bringing it home, not upstream here anyway."

Upon hearing the tiefling ask about waterproof bags, the priest produces one from his own things and hands it over, shaking his head with a wizened smile.

Statblock

Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
Condition None

"I'm not going to stick needles in myself," Vri said, "a potion is much easier I think, but that's maybe just me. Anyway, thanks for the information and the potions, but I have to go now. We're on the clock to find what's going on here."

She headed to the pond where they would enter the water.

"You sure there isn't another entrance," she asked as she saw and more importantly, smelt the water, "lets hope there's an air pocket below. And before we go, lets tie all these ropes together and then make sure they are tied up here so we can follow them back. First person unrolls the rope, the others hold on to follow, because I don't think we can see a lot down there in the water, even with our everburning torches."

It's quite clear she's not all that eager to go into the water.

OOC

none

T'Sarra Khonnor 

Hero Points 1
Spells:

T'Sarra smiled at the old priest, happily accepting the bag and lining the stuffing the scrolls and anything else that might get damaged by water into it.

"I appreciate this too," she answered, thanking him for thinking of something she'd nearly forgotten to consider

She clapped Vri on the shoulder and stared at the pond with her.

"If there is another way, I don't know it, and I'm pretty sure all these folks," she gestured at the footprints all around the beach.

"Didn't either. Good idea with the rope though. Come on, let's get it over with. We can get baths when we come out with Khonnir."

She worked with Vri to secure the ropes as the other woman instructed, making sure one was tied off securely before they entered, using the hemp ropes first, saving her silk for last if it's needed. Then she waded in, literally, swimming down and looking for a way through, holding her breath for as long as she could to avoid breathing the nasty water.

Mechanics

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -1
Climb* +5
Diplomacy +7
Handle Animal +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +6
Survival +4
Swim* +5

* -1 ACP to str and dex skills  

Statblock

Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
Condition None

"Hold the casting for a moment," Vri said to the priest when she noticed there was not really something to hold the rope, "I think we need a few tent pegs that we can hammer in and tie our ropes to. Can one of you get those quickly?"

She then looked at the priest.

"Do you know where the entrance is under this water," she asked, "the less time we spend searching for that, the more time we have to search further in. And if you don't know, do you maybe know who does know."

OOC

none

T'Sarra Khonnor 

Hero Points 1
Spells:

T'Sarra nodded to Vri's suggestion.

"Yes, good point. Not much to tie off to here. It's only a couple of minutes to the marketplace, I'll be back in like ten minutes." she answered, jogging off to buy the needed supplies.

Up at the bazaar, she found a small tent, five pitons and a hammer, loaded them into her backpack and jogged back.

Mechanics
Purchase (out of T'Sarra's money) small tent, 5 pitons, hammer for 11 gold minus 20% so 8 gold 8 silver and nobody saw nuthin!

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -1
Climb* +5
Diplomacy +7
Handle Animal +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +6
Survival +4
Swim* +5

* -1 ACP to str and dex skills  

Edited by ccanary
math (see edit history)

Another rapid fire round of suggestions, postulations and questions from the half-elf and the tiefling had the priest take pause for a moment, quirking up one eyebrow as he watches them whirl, quietly following the flow of ideas without interrupting the process.

But then before he knew it, T'Sarra started off sprinting the way they came, indicating her intent to take a last minute pit stop at market square.

Beside Weeping Pond — All except T'Sarra

spacer.pngA few moments after the tiefling had gone, the old man snaps out of watching her quickly disappearing backside and mutters under his breath, "Young people…"

Turning back to the conversation at hand, he begins to answer some of the questions thrown at him in rapid succession, explaining, "Well, if there is another way down, I don't believe anyone has found it. That being said, nobody in town has any positive evidence on how the purple flame above Black Hill had come to be either, aside from the fact that it's not magical in nature."

"Councillor Baine had not detailed exactly where the entrance to the caves was, though I suspect it would be somewhere towards the north, following the source of the water." Joram Kyte continued, briefly acknowledging Val with a nod as he mentioned her father, "And it would stand to reason there would be an air pocket yes."

Market Square — T'Sarra Only

Arriving at the market in a rush, T'Sarra finds a couple people there clutching their heads, avoiding the light of day even under scattered clouds.

She manages to find what she needs easily enough, though she also can't help but notice someone with a hacking cough walking past behind her as she was making her purchase.

(( T'Sarra purchased Tent (small) for 8gp, Piton (5) for 4sp, and Hammer for 4sp ))