Chapter 3 โ€” A Dying Torch

iantruesilver

spacer.png"Nay lassie, nobody even knew thare wur caves underneath Black Hill 'til Khonnir hud made that surprising wee discovery, nor that it wid be accessed thro' Weeping Pond o' a' places…" Turning to the half-elf, the elderly dwarf explained, but then backtracked on a minor detail as she went, "Now ah dinnae think tis sae wee pure, noo that ah think aboot it."

"Point is, this is pure a' freish 'n' outlandish tae even masell, huvin bin 'ere sin a hunner years ago whin Torch wis foremaist founded." If the crow's feet and various other wrinkles did not betray the woman's age, then she certainly made sure it was known with that last confession, mixed into her admittance of surprise at Khonnir's findings, "Sae a'm feart we pure dinnae hae ony confirmation o' whit's actually under th' Hill tae speak o', muckle less maps o' ony kind."

"All thare is is Khonnir's description o' whit he 'n' his gang fun efter thay cam back fae thair foremaist foray doon below."

As the woman made to sit down at the desk, she near shot right back up onto her feet as Val stepped through the doors, followed by a rather naïve looking android with long golden hair, "Och young lassy Baine! Tis aboot time ye shawed yer coupon!"

Val Only

The elderly dwarven woman you see is councilwoman Dolga Freddert, the eldest of Torch's five councillors.

An odd transplant from the Five Kings Mountains, Dolga helped found Torch and was the first to test the unique properties of the flame erupting from the hilltop.

Since then, she's had a hand in the construction of many of the buildings in town, and is currently also owns and operates Dolga's Foundry in the town's guild district.

"Ah suppose ah kin presume thae 'ere folks ur wi' ye then?" The dwarven woman astutely observed after having briefly sized up each of the group, before going on to answer Val's inquiry. "Aye, yer da's crew back gaed doon beneath Black Hill efter thay brought up that goosed automaton th' foremaist time. Tis bin mair than twa weeks noo, 'n' we haven't heard anythin' fae them."

"According tae Khonnir's report, th' caves ur inhabited by enormous vermin 'n' ither scavengers, alang wi' some streenge humanoids wha hud th' ability tae blend intae th' shadows o' th' cave walls, 'n' a nest o' gremlins." Turning back to the tiefling once more, she slowly sank back down into her chair as she relayed what information she knows, "Khonnir believed this indicated a deeper connection in th' caves tae th' Darklands, bit o' mair immediate interest wis his discovery o' a dyke o' solid metal deep in th' caves."

Her voice betrayed some great amount of surprise as she said this, as though she didn't entirely believe it all herself, "A dyke made o' glaucite. He said 'twas lik' th' kind we mines fae th' hills 'n' surrounding plains, except tis bin put the gether intae a structure wi' doors. 'twas near yin o' thae doors that khonnir fun th' goosed automaton that he brought back efter his foremaist expedition."

At the mention of material assistance, the old dwarf nodded solemnly as she said, "Ah kin authorize ilk o' ye a writ that ye kin shaw tae ony o' th' merchants in toun fur a flat 20% discount oan ony gear yi'll need tae purchase — ah wish ah cuid offer mair than that, bit wi' baith th' town's skymetal wirk 'n' tourism drying up at th' identical time, that’s th' best ah kin dae fur noo."

"If ye guide tae fin' councilman baine however, th' council is prepared tae gie ye a reward o' four thousand gowd fur his return, plus a scroll o' resurrection if ye kin bring him back alive." She said, detailing the promise of reward, "A'm waantin' tae stress that that is th' priority. However wance that is settled, if ye fin' a wey tae reignite th' flame atop black hill, we kin offer ye anither four thousand as a separate reward."

At T'Sarra's surprise about Weeping Pond and the need to swim, the dwarf raised a curious eyebrow, "Aye lassy, as ye hae guessed, th' entrance tae th' caves is flooded, 'n' kin ainlie be accessed thro' Weeping Pond. You’ll need tae swim a bawherr tae git tae th' caves."

"Councilman Joram Kyte haes 'greed he wil cast wat'r breathing oan ony group tae help in entering th' caves — free o' charge, o' course." Her fingers already busy writing, the woman added the final bit of information before handing several sheets of paper to those gathered, a stack of handwritten notes of sorts it appears, stamping a wax seal on each as she dispenses them, "You kin likely fin' him at th' Temple o' Brigh or up at crowfeather palace whin your duin."

spacer.png

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

T'Sarra Khonnor 

spacer.pngT'Sarra Khonnor — Tiefling Oracle 1
AC/T/FF 18/13/15 | HP 11/11 | Init +3 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 3/3/2 | Darkvision
Hero Points 1
Active Conditions: +1 to atk and AC vs. robots (robot slayer trait)
Spells:

1st: (2/day) Cure light wounds, Bless, Inflict Light Wounds
Cantrips: (unl) detect magic, mending, guidance, create water

At The Council Chamber

T'Sarra was scowling and focusing very hard on figuring out what this dwarf woman was saying. She thought she was starting to get the hang of it.

"We erm, re-goosed that automaton back at Khonnir's. It got back up, was fixing itself, so we goosed it real good this time." she nodded pleased with herself for trying to speak the dwarf woman's dialect.

She nodded along with the offers to help them. "Twenty percent is better than nothing." And four thousand for re-lighting the torch and another four for Khonnir?? That was more money than T'Sarra had seen together at one time in her life! That was certainly a worthy reward!

"I'm in, the town needs Khonnir and the Torch. I hope the rest of my companions will agree to come along as well."

She turned to her companions to plan. "Water breathing is helpful, but magic like that isn't going to last forever, and we'll have to get out. How is everyone at swimming? I'm... passable if there isn't too much current, and sounds like there wouldn't be in a pool. I might be able to help drag anyone who isn't very good in the water. I suppose we should gather all of the stuff we brought back, sell anything left off and equip for this. Set out first thing in the morning?"

Mechanics

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -2
Climb* +4
Diplomacy +7
Handle Animal +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +6
Survival +4
Swim* +4

* -2 ACP to str and dex skills  

image.jpeg.3f95306a23dfeb7a6f315970d6687d0e.jpeg

Statblock

[URL=https://test.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2744078][B][SIZE=+1]Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 11/11, [B]Speed[/B] 30ft [B]AC[/B] 16, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 0, [B]Ref[/B] 5, [B]Will[/B] 3, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 1 [B]silversheen, MC rapier [/B] +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2) [B]cold iron dagger [/B] +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2) [B] shortbow (20) [/B] +4 (1d6, x3) [B] Studded Leather[/B] (+3 Armor, +3 Dex) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15 [B]Condition[/B] None hero points: 1/1
Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, Level 1, Init 3, HP 11/11, Speed 30ft
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 3, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
silversheen, MC rapier +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
cold iron dagger +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
shortbow (20) +4 (1d6, x3)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15
Condition None
hero points: 1/1

"That's a nice offer," Vri said, "and I'm sure I can make time available to start a little cave digging."

She wasn't sure that swimming would be the best way to get into a cave, especially if they had to get back out again, but there was little they could do about it at the moment.

"I can swim, as long as it's not in a raging storm or something like that. And if we're going to swim, we have to find a way to make sure that some of our more delicate gear stays dry. So shopping it is."

OOC

Barhuce

spacer.png

"Thanks. We'll see what we can do." Barhuce says to the councilor and then follows the others.

"Well, no. I don't really swim well. I can doggy paddle ok though. Let's get some waterproof bags and enough rope that us not so great swimmers can get drug out. Also, that water breathing is only going to last about 10 hrs, so we are probably going to want to plan on shortish trips until some of us learn how to cast or brew that."

Statblock

[URL=https://test.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2740751][B][SIZE=+1]Barhuce[/SIZE][/B][/URL] M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 9/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30 [B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 0 [B]1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) [/B] 3 (1d4+4, x2) [B] light Mace [/B] 1 (1d6+1, x2) [B] Dagger [/B] 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2) [B] Lamellar Cuirass[/B] (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10 [B]Condition[/B] None
Barhuce
M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), Level 1, Init 4, HP 9/9, Speed 30
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 4, Will 0, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) 3 (1d4+4, x2)
light Mace 1 (1d6+1, x2)
Dagger 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
Lamellar Cuirass (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
Condition None

Actions Crunch

spacer.pngVal nods to the councellor "Thank you for the assistance in equipping ourselves, we will plan and possibly arrange for the water breathing if we can't think of anything else. We are going to get my father back alive, and if we can, reignite the torch - although I think the town needs to consider alternative streams of income as it has already been shown that the torch might not be a forever thing."

Rain-in-Summer

B8278D38-D56D-4D10-84D2-D1157F76821D.png.118b158dda0b886a8d97c1aa24ef7467.png“Thank you for your help, Councillor,” Rain says to the Dwarven woman.

“I cannot swim,” she says to the group. “Perhaps, weighed down as I will be with my armour, I can walk across the bottom of the lake to the cave,” she jokes. A squeak sounds from under her hood as Jerry says something to the shaman. “I see. I’m sure I can manage swimming to the cave if the waters are calm, with the water breathing spell to help me. It just might take me a while.”

OOC:

Edited by madMonk (see edit history)

spacer.png"Aye, bit let us hawp it wilnae come tae that." The councilwoman acknowledges Val's rather bleak precautionary on the town's economic outlook, her expression seeming by no means to be easily brushing off the very real possibility that the flame atop Black Hill may never reignite.

With a solemn nod, she bids you, "Guid luck."

With one of the writs in hand, Violet turns and hooks her arm into Val's elbow, echoing Vri's words in what could be interpreted as a happy chant, "Shopping!"

Back outside of town hall, the town of Torch looks little different than before in the dimly diffused afternoon light, though perhaps the somber discussion about the state of things and the immediacy for assistance may have some impact as to how you now see the place.

Those who have frequented the town of Torch before would know there are a few options now as to finding the supplies they might need, depending of course on what those needs might be.

Information

• While catering to the common needs of the townsfolk first and foremost, the General Store operated by Inkrit Kollisun does carry plenty of adventuring gear
  • The town's Market Square is a vibrant place for trade, as it is where many of the town's skilled artisans put their wares on display
  • Tempting Tonics, run by the town's apothecary and healer Jhestine Imierin, usually sells various herbs and special substances, as well as potions and elixirs
  • Besides facilitating the worship of the clockwork goddess, the Temple of Brigh operates a small storefront where many minor scrolls and technological items can be purchased
  • The Torch Guildhouse is home to a variety of various craftspeople, and is likely the most reliable place to purchase weapons and armour

T'Sarra Khonnor 

spacer.pngT'Sarra Khonnor — Tiefling Oracle 1
AC/T/FF 18/13/15 | HP 11/11 | Init +3 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 3/3/2 | Darkvision
Hero Points 1
Active Conditions: +1 to atk and AC vs. robots (robot slayer trait)
Spells:

1st: (2/day) Cure light wounds, Bless, Inflict Light Wounds
Cantrips: (unl) detect magic, mending, guidance, create water

At The Council Chamber

T'Sarra was happy enough to be selling their spoils for good coin, but not nearly as happy as the sisters apparently.

"We'd better hurry. Back to Khonnir's to grab everything then see what we can get for it in the market. I wonder if anyone will buy the smashed robots?" she asked mostly to herself.

And so she did, rounding up the gold nugget, unholy water, the nice scythe, and pretty much everything else except for the big smashed robot. She tossed one of the smaller arachnid ones over her brawny shoulder though, then started to walk/waddle back through town towards the guidhall to see who she could meet and what she could sell there. In particular if anyone wanted to buy a wrecked spider 'bot, for how much, and then a few more like it.

Mechanics

I figure we sell everything that's identified and see what we have for coin. Then we can more intelligently split coin and make group purchases. Definitely the CLW wand fully charged will be helpful, as well as some ioun torches/everburning torches as people prefer, and waterproof bags.

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -2
Climb* +4
Diplomacy +7
Handle Animal +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +6
Survival +4
Swim* +4

* -2 ACP to str and dex skills  

Edited by ccanary (see edit history)

Statblock

[URL=https://test.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2744078][B][SIZE=+1]Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 11/11, [B]Speed[/B] 30ft [B]AC[/B] 16, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 0, [B]Ref[/B] 5, [B]Will[/B] 3, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 1 [B]silversheen, MC rapier [/B] +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2) [B]cold iron dagger [/B] +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2) [B] shortbow (20) [/B] +4 (1d6, x3) [B] Studded Leather[/B] (+3 Armor, +3 Dex) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15 [B]Condition[/B] None hero points: 1/1
Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 3, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
Condition None

Vri will help carry some of the robot (parts). Without her backpack, she could carry quite a lot of stuff. She had been in the town before, but she wasn't all too familiar with all the things, especially on technological things as she never had any nor a need for anything like that.

"I also need to get some extra rations," she said, "I'm almost out, so some new food wouldn't be a bad thing."

OOC

Your party hustles across town back toward the Foundry Tavern, where with some difficulty you pick up some of the bits and pieces of the robotic wrecks you've collected recently.

Eschewing the idea of lugging the masses of jagged metal and loose wires and variably destroyed bits wholesale, you elect instead to take as close to what most closely resembles a representative sample of the entire mess along with you — a set of claws here, one of those tails that shoots fiery jolts of electric material there, enough to give any prospective buyer or enterprising merchant a good sneak peek as to what they might be bargaining for.

Hauling all that and a bunch of your other recently acquired loot, you deign to make your way towards Torch Guildhouse on the far northeast side of town.

spacer.pngOn the way passing through Market Square again, you're flagged down by Sanvil Trett, all excitement and inquisitiveness in his eyes even as he approaches you.

"Hay naow whatcha got there eh?" Trotting up from his stall as you walk along, he pokes his head this way and that, trying to get a glimpse of the pieces of wreckage, "Looks like pieces of some arachnid robaots, amirite? Man y'all sure banged them up real good…"

Name
Perception
1d20+3 8

Statblock

Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
Condition None

"It was them or us," Vri said, "quite literally. but the parts can still be interesting. You interested in giving us an offer for these?"

She didn't really care who they sold it to, as long as they got a good price for the pieces. She had a price in mind, but she would be the first to agree she wasn't an expert.

OOC

Edited by farothel (see edit history)
Name
appraise
1d20+1 12

Barhuce

spacer.png

Barhuce sets his portion of the load down for the discussion.

"It'd be a bit less hauling if you have a good offer, but not enough less hauling to be worth a discount."

Statblock

[URL=https://test.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2740751][B][SIZE=+1]Barhuce[/SIZE][/B][/URL] M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 9/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30 [B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 0 [B]1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) [/B] 3 (1d4+4, x2) [B] light Mace [/B] 1 (1d6+1, x2) [B] Dagger [/B] 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2) [B] Lamellar Cuirass[/B] (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10 [B]Condition[/B] None
Barhuce
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 4, Will 0, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
light Mace 1 (1d6+1, x2)
Condition None

Actions Crunch

Name
appraise (untrained)
1d20+2 17

spacer.png"Wael naow I'd be lyin' if I said I wodn't intarested. The question is, wotchu got and wot kinda offer would make it worth your while." Sanvil's face belies a keen interest in some of the things you're carrying, his eyes already scanning some of the piles of metal and wiring, but paying little mind to your otherwise mundane or magically oriented things, "So lemme see heare…"

"Imma tell you wot." After a few moments of intense silence as he picks at and otherwise visually inspects the destroyed robot parts, "I'll give you sixteen hundred gold for the lot, if ya're willin'."

Barhuce and Vri Only

Between the two of you, you figure that selling the piles of wreckage for scrap might otherwise get you 1,350gp if you were lucky.

Barhuce

spacer.png

Barhuce scratches his cheek and does his best to look thoughtful and hesitant, really just trying to look anything but gleeful at what seems to be a generous offer.

"Well... I guess it is a bit of a discount."

Statblock

Barhuce
light Mace 1 (1d6+1, x2)
Condition None

Actions Crunch

Name
bluff
1d20 10
sense motive
1d20 20

Statblock

Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
Condition None

"I'm sure that can be used as a starting point for further negotiations," Vri said, "assuming you're lowballing because everybody does, how about... say 2000?"

She wasn't sure about the price, but if the merchant went quite a lot over what she and Barhuce had thought, then there was something interesting about these robots that they weren't aware of.

OOC

Name
sense motive
1d20+1 17
diplomacy
1d20+6 18