Year 2948: Putting down roots

Vladim

The rest of the ravens had begun to approach the fellowship. Some were clearly interested in the food, yet others seemed jealous of the attention Radagast and Ingi had been showing towards their feathery companion. But as the conversation shifted to the werewolf, Radagast became very serious. In sensing that, the ravens quickly dispersed, returning to their perch on the rafters.

’I know what happened to Grimborn…’ he said sadly, mentioning, for the first time, the name of Idunn’s betrothed. ’He was a good man, the first to fall to the werewolf.’ The wizard seemed reluctant to say more, as if no words he could offer would comfort the huntswoman, and silence fell briefly. It was broken a few moments later by Cilderic.

’It is all true. By all accounts, a great wolf recently attacked a party of hunters from the house of Woodland Hall. This was in spring. From the descriptions that reached me, it was a great beast, largest than any wolf I have ever seen in Mirkwood: it must have been the werewolf. The hunters were led by Geirbald son of Olaf, one of the warriors of Wuduseld. In the confusion of the fight, Geirbald loosened many arrows as his companions leapt into the underbrush to hide. But the beast was not slain, and on the next morning, scouts found the body of Geirbald’s youngest sister lying in the bushes: she was struck dead by one of her brother’s reckless arrows. Geirbald, stricken with guilt, chose exile, and he has left Wuduseld and now lives in the forest with a group of twelve loyal followers. They call them the brotherhood of outlaws, and they hunt the wolves, spiders and orcs of Mirkwood, seeking to avenge Geirbald’s sister. The Woodmen of Wuduseld do not speak of them, for Geirbald is a kinslayer now, but some of his men are still welcome in the villages, for they have not turned to crime, and some folk sympathise with their plight.’

Idunn knew of the tale: she had heard these rumours when the fellowship had made a stop at Wuduseld, and had left the town to find Geirbald’s camp and seek his help. But although she succeeded, Geirbald would not help her: he had seen too much of his sister in Idunn, and did not wish to be the cause of another death. Now Idunn shook her head, indicating to her comrades that she knew all of this, but save from confirming Cilderic’s account, she spoke little. In many ways, Geirbald’s fate was even worse than hers, and although he had not helped her, she did not wish to speak ill of the man.

The wizard’s expression betrayed a growing concern upon the re-telling of the tale, and now he felt compelled to speak. ’The werewolf’s kin have existed for centuries. Tales of their foul race go back to the First Age of this world, and I fear that, although they were defeated, they were never truly vanquished.’ he said.

’For many years, the werewolf slumbered, but now it has awoken again. In the past, many brave Woodmen, great hunters and warriors, tried to slay it. None succeeded. But large numbers of Woodmen banded together, and at times they were able to drive the creature back. The tales even say that the beast was mortally wounded once, but it escaped. Perhaps it fell back to its lair, to lick its wounds and slumber, like the dragons of the North. Or perhaps it was truly slain, but one of its spawn took its place. The tales do not tell. But where the beast hunts, others of its kind gather: wolves of all sorts follow it, for it is the strongest of their kind. You must be careful. This foe is mightier than any of you, and you should not throw your lives away pointlessly. You can still do much good.’

Idunn’s heart sank upon hearing those words. When the elders would not speak, she suspected that they wished to discourage her from hunting the werewolf, for only death could come of it. But hearing this repeated by Radagast was a greater disappointment that she was prepared for. But the wizard must have sensed her determination, because he spoke again:

’If your hearts are set to this task, there is one piece of advice that you must follow. The werewolf fears and hates light. The pure light of day is its greatest bane, and it will never venture out of the forest willingly. But any light will weaken it, even the faint glow of torches or lamps.’

He then turned to Gramtyng: ’Horses the Woodmen do not have, yet even if they did, they would be useless in the heart of the forest. Only the elven-king has steeds that can be ridden in Mirkwood, but he will not part with such magnificent creatures easily: they are reserved for the nobles of his court.

Regardless,’ he continued, now turning to Gloriel, ’Thranduil should also be concerned. The Beast is cunning, and it will attack the Woodmen first, as it has always thought Men weaker. Yet when it has grown stronger, it will attack the Woodland Realm. Is king Thranduil aware of the attacks? If not, a messenger must be sent. I have sent ravens, but they have not returned.’

Idunn, who had been struggling to not let her feelings be seen, now stepped forth. She wished to speak, yet she allowed Gloriel to do so first, for Radagast was clearly addressing her.

[OOC @LottieK: I think Thranduil should know of some attacks along the elf-path, and also Idunn's tale, but not the more recent, wide-spread attacks in the lands of the Woodmen. And although he has made some preparations, they are clearly of a defensive nature, and clearly focused on protecting the elves only. What Gloriel's opinions of this are is up to you.]

When Fundor saw Cilderic, he was a bit surprised but when the woodman told them that they were asked by the Brown Wizard, Fundor wondered what was going on. Still he greets Cilderic and follow him to Radagast strange house. At first, Fundor stay at the back of the group, letting the others presenting themselves to the Wizard. It is said in his people that Wizards affairs are better to be avoided. But then Radagast speaks about the Werewolf and Fundor looks at Nori, his friend who is so anxious about that beast. Fundor takes a step forward ...

"My greetings, Wizard of the Forest, I'm Fundor, son of Thrar from far Blue Mountains. I met my companions and Cilderic a few months ago at Stoneford and now we are here at Rhosgobel by following Harftast of Mountain-Hall."
Then Fundor he stutters a bit [impact of failed courtesy roll]
"You talked about the worewelf, uh, i mean the werewolf. My cousin here (showing Nori) has great resentment against that beast. You say that it hates and fears light, you also say that Elves should join the Woodmen in that fight against the werewolf. But that dark forest seems so vast, so entangled and I have only seen a very small and side part that its heart is probably more dreadful than I could see in nightmares. Do you really think that elves and woodmen hunters would be enough to hunt that beast, to find it and destroy it ?"

[OOC @Ghorin: Given the failed Introduction check, I will not allow Fundor to make any rolls for Interactions with Radagast for the next of this encounter… but he can still talk, although he might get ignored.]

Radagast had been expecting for Gloriel to reply to his question. When Fundor stepped forth, he was surprised, and a little bit displeased, for it was discourteous to interrupt thusly. He looked at the dwarf with farrowed eyebrows, but this did not prevent Fundor from speaking, and thus Radagast had to listen.

’Of course there is hope!’ he replied, slightly annoyed that something that obvious would not be clear to the dwarf. ’There is always hope! Did Bolg not fall to Beorn? Did the White Council not drive out the Necromancer? And did Smaug not fall to a single arrow from King Bard’s bow?’ By now, his annoyance had almost become anger due to the dwarf’s foolish words, and the wizard gave himself a moment to calm down.

He continued soon with a softer voice: ’But Beorn is a skin-changer; and even Bard is no common Man, but a descendant of Girion, hailing from a great line of kings. And despite these victories, many good folk suffered, and many died.’

Idunn had heard enough. It did not matter what Radagast or anyone else had said: her mind was set, and there was no changing it. Stepping forth with clenched fists, she spoke.

’I thank you for your counsel.’ she said, her voice shaking. ’I may be a mere mortal, and noble blood may not course through my veins, but I will do this deed, or else die trying. I will do this deed, with or without your help.’

Hatred for the werewolf now burned in her heart, but she managed to control herself, and she continued. ’Many have fallen already. If our folk refuse to fight back, the creature will only grow, both in power and confidence. We must fight back. That is why I have come to put my request forth to the folk-moot. I know that I cannot do this deed alone, yet I know that it must be done.’

Radagast fell silent; there was nothing he could say or do to dissuade her. He could sense the hatred in Idunn's words, and seeing into her heart, he felt her unquenchable thirst for avenging her bethrothed. At length he spoke. ’Would you lead other hunters to their death, then? Geirbald’s reckless hate doomed his sister, and it will be the doom of many of his followers.’

’Only if they are willing, and only if they understand the dangers.’ replied Idunn.

The wizard fell silent again, and he did not reply, for there was nothing to say to Idunn’s answer.

"There is one more steed that could handle itself in the woods." Quietly replied Gramtyng. "Apart from Thranduil's steeds... and if the folk tales I've heard are true." He raised his face to look at the wizard. If there was anyone who knew - it would probably be Radagast. "I speak of the story of the Steed of the Moon."

Gloriel is silent for a while, unusual for her, no song springs to her mind, no poem bubbles up. She thinks about what the wizard said as she savours the vegetable stew. She makes careful note of Radagast's caution, and adding his information about the wolf's long history and it's aversion to light, she mulls over everything she has already learned about the wolves of Mirkwood. Then hearing Idunn's forthright reply, she confirms her original decision, she will aid Idunn. She takes advantage of this favorable situation with Radagast and questions him for further details, trying again to impress him with her own knowledge of the forces of shadow.

"I am willing to join Idunn and her party in searching out this threat. I have been well educated in the lore of shadow. Tales of werewolves go back to the First Age, when the wolf Carcharoth was killed by our great hound Huan though he himself died of his wounds also. Do you think, Radagast, that the spirit of Carcharoth inhabits the current wolf in Mirkwood and has gained similar strengths? If so, we must be very well prepared...maybe we should take many hunting dogs with us too. Even then we might succeed only with some of his underlings. Now tell me more about their fear of light...would strong light be enough to kill them, for example the light of the sun? What do they do during the daytime hours?.. slumber? Have your scouting animals and birds knowledge of their lair's location? Where are they seen most often?"

At the insistence of not only Idunn, but also her companions, Radagast was forced to give in. ’Then you leave me with no option but to help you…’ he said regretfully, finally admitting defeat. ’Yet I fear that some of you may not fully know your danger…’

As he listened to Gramtyng, the wizard’s mind drifted to the old stories he had heard of. ’The Steed of the Moon… if that story is true, then it must be one of the Mearas, a horse fit for a great king. Have these tales spread as far south as Rohan?’

Despite his disbelief at this, he continued, shaking his head. ’You propose one impossible feat after another, and I do not know which will be the most difficult: the slaying of the Beast, or the taming of the Steed. Nonetheless, I hear little of what goes on outside the forest these days. You must speak to Fridwald the runner should you wish to learn more. He serves as a messenger to the folk of the wood, and he is old and wise. He knows much, and he is on good terms with the Leofrings, who are likely the source of this story…’

[OOC @ Diofant: Lore check (TN 14) to see if Gramtyng knows anything about the Leofrings. You can also invoke Rhymes for an auto-success.

OOC @LottieK: For the future, I think it works better if you first roll Lore and then post the information; it helps avoid inconsistencies in the narrative such as succeeding at Lore but actually posting inaccurate info.]

Then, the Radagast turned to Gloriel, who had made a favourable impression on the wizard. Yet her words revealed that she knew little of the creature she wished to hunt, and that alarmed Radagast.

’The elves are wise and know much about the forest,’ he said kindly, ’but even the Wise do not know all that there is to be known, and there are many things hidden in the deep and dark places of this world. Those who seek secrets must avoid the temptation of pride, for pride always goes before the fall.

You are still young, and you have not yet ventured into the Heart of Mirkwood. If you had, you would have known that in the deeps of the forest, it is as black as night even on a summer day. This is, I believe, where the beast makes its lair, though even my most trusted messengers dare not go there. But even if you bring light or fire, it will only weaken the beast; it will not destroy it. As for Carcharoth… who can truly tell what happened to his spirit? But if the werewolf is indeed a thing of terror from the First Age, then maybe I was wrong, and maybe the task is truly hopeless.’

Radagast now sank deep into dark thoughts, but only briefly: soon, he sprang up, and started moving towards his desk. ’There is still something that I can do.’ he said, as he sought a quill and some ink from the chaotic piles of trinkets that lay on his desk. ’I can write to your king, and explain the danger. Perhaps he knows little of the attacks against the Woodmen, and although he will not listen to them, perhaps he will listen to me. But this is a delicate task, for Thranduil’s duty is to his folk, and the letter must be worded carefully. Cilderic! Will you find me some paper?’

As the wizard sought for a pen, he froze ,as if struck by some epiphany, and then, turning to Gloriel, he added: ’We should do everything we can to ensure that this letter is read and carefully considered. In fact, I don’t think any of you should carry this letter to king Thranduil. No, no – you will not be taken seriously. But if the letter comes from his son the prince, or from the princess, then Thranduil might think twice before dismissing it. What do you think, lady Gloriel? Would either of them do this deed for us? Could they be convinced to carry the message?’

At the same time, Cilderic had joined his master in a search for a piece of parchment, and though he held his silence long, now he spoke, for there was a great matter that concerned him. ’You have my support in this – and that of my fellow scouts. But we are headless now: the leader of my order, Beran the watchful, went missing recently, and my attempts to find him have fallen short. And though Radagast has also sent scouts to find Berengar, his predecessor, none has succeeded. I fear that we may have been too late with Berengar, and I dread to think that the same fate could befall Beran.’

Upon hearing the name of Berengar, Radagast stopped seeking a pen, and now remembered the letters he had exchanged with Nori. ’Berengar!’ he exclaimed. ’You have seen him too, have you not? Tell me everything!’

’Berengar is… not what he once was.’ said Idunn, hesitantly. It was difficult to speak about his fate, but the deed was made slightly easier by the fact that Cilderic had, in all likelyhood, already explained what there was to be said.

’We chanced upon his hut when travelling through the elf-path; I and Nori and Gramtyng, with a few others that are not with us now. He seemed… not himself: he was fearful and extremely wary, and he had even forgotten his name. What happened to make him thus, I cannot tell, but if anything remains in him of the Warden he once was, then it is buried deep. He gave me this,’ she said, uncovering the cloth that was wrapped around the fragment of the broken axe-head he had given her, ’and I have discovered another piece elsewhere.’ She produced that too, and placed the two pieces together.

As the wizard examined the fragments of what had once been wolf-biter, a legendary weapon of the Woodmen, Idunn cast her glance sideways to Gramtyng, remembering their previous conversation about Berengar, and the plan the horse-lord had of curing him.

Gloriel finishes off the stew with obvious enjoyment, looking around at everyone with satisfaction. She thinks about how to deliver Radagast's message to the elf king. Remembering how they left in secret, she wonders if even now the king may not know where his son is, or what his mission is. Maybe Gilbrannon will need to pass the message through a trusted third party. "Thank you for offering this advice to Thranduil, I know he will always protect his people, and I hope that hearing of your concerns he may join wider action in the interests of all who call the forest home. Give me the note, I will pass it to Gilbrannon, along with what I have learned here. The prince can decide how to get it to his father."

’Long have I feared for Berengar’s fate.’ said Radagast. ’For many years he was lost, and I thought him dead. For decades he kept the watch on Dol Guldur, and he was leading an expedition there before his disappearance. But none save one returned from it alive; they were waylaid by orcs and slain – or so I thought until recently.

But he lives, and Nori’s letter filled me with hope that I may yet be able to cure him. Clearly, he must have been taken prisoner and, although he did not perish, his mind was broken by the ordeal. But what was broken can perhaps be mended, if only he returned to Rhosgobel.’

Upon explaining all of this, the wizard turned to the elf, and with a small nod indicated his thanks. ’Patience… the letter must be written very carefully, and it is no good to rush such important matters! I know king Thranduil well, and I fear that a few misplaced words could spell doom for this entire endeavour. But writing should not take too long either! Come to me in a day or two, and I will give it to you, and you can pass it on to the Prince.

Until then, my words of advice will have to suffice: You may not know Berengar personally, but his tale should caution you about the dangers of Dol Guldur. For Berengar was an accomplished warrior, yet that helped him little: in the end, he too was driven to madness by the sorcery of the Naked Hill. And even though the Necromancer has been driven out of his fortress, much evil lingers there. My scouts report that orcs have been gathering near Fenbridge as of late: this castle stands not far from Dol Guldur, and was abandoned before, but now its old occupants are returning. Tell the prince and the princess to be careful: their pilgrimage will be fraught with danger.’

At this Cilderic interceded, eager to urge a particular course of action. ’We could scout ahead… You have come early to Rhosgobel, and there are a few days still till the folk-moot begins. I am quite worried about my captain, Beran, and I plan departing with Banna for another expedition tomorrow… If you were to accompany me, then together we could cover more ground.

Lady Gloriel, perhaps your lord and lady would allow you to go on this mission, to convey your findings upon your return. And also,’ he continued, now also turning to the rest, ’perhaps we can discover some clues about the werewolf’s lair. The hunters have brought all sorts of rumours and gossips from the forest; with your help, a larger expedition could shed light on those as well.’

OOC

From a mechanics standpoint, this is the end of this encounter. However, you can continue role-playing for as long as you want.

There is one immediate decision that has to be made, and it should be made collectively, for the entire fellowship (i.e. everyone gets a vote). We need to decide if we’ll help Cilderic with finding Beran or not.

Because we did very well in this encounter, if we promise to help Cilderic or Berengar, Radagast will provide his support.
1. The first thing each PC will gain is one of Radagast’s ravens to assist. The information and mechanics about the ravens will be explained in the next post.
2. In addition, if the fellowship agrees to help Cilderic, Radagast will bless each party member – the details about the blessings will be described after the info about the ravens.

There is also the issue of helping Berengar, but this will most likely be dealt with in the longer run.

OOC

The ravens are mainly meant to provide a bit more character to the narrative and to reinforce the connection with Radagast. They are also meant to provide a few more minor mechanical effects and options for the characters.

The ravens are NOT meant to overshadow the Erebor dwarves' 'Ravens of the Mountain' virtue. As such, they should not be used in a way that antagonizes that virtue, for example by sending messages or collecting intelligence. For all intents and purposes, they are bonded to the characters and will not stray far from them (unless dismissed for good), and the only mechanical bonuses they provide are listed below. In addition, to avoid this potential conflict, the ravens are designed to synergize with a dwarf's 'Ravens of the Mountain' virtue, slightly.

Of course, if your PC has no interest in bonding to a raven, that's completely ok. Otherwise, please indicate the 3 ravens you are most interested in, in order of decreasing priority. For Idunn, I will choose whatever's left.

If there are conflicts (e.g. 2 players want the same raven), then the ravens will choose. The spoiler below describes the choice of the ravens, and will only be used if necessary (to resolve conflicts):

1. Hunir will choose the most physically impressive PC, i.e. the one with the highest Body attribute (favoured Body to break ties).
2. Thunir will choose the one that is most likely to travel the furthest - in his mind, that's the PC with the least encumbrance.
3. Munir, having interacted with Ingi, will choose him preferentially; if Ingi is not interested, he will choose the PC with the most shinies (highest standard of living).
4. Kunir, being facinated by singing, will preferentially choose Gloriel, then Gram, because they both used Song in this encounter (but Gloriel did better than Gram).
5. Dunir enjoys the hunt; he will, preferentially, choose the fellowship huntsmen (Idunn or Gram) or, failing that, someone with a bow (Gloriel or Ingi).
6. Funir is curious about dwarves and will favour them over others. Otherwise, ranks in Insight will be used to break ties.

spacer.pngName: Hunir the boisterous (also known as Hunir the black or Hunir the fat)

Backstory: The Woodmen of Rhosgobel say that, when Hunir was only a chick, he fell inside the Brown Wizard's stew-pot and had to eat his way out. As a result, he grew bigger and blacker than all of Radagast's ravens. His great size frightened his brothers, and he grew proud and boisterous.

Hunir likes to croak and flap his wings to intimidate visitors to Radagast's home, and he often chases and pecks his brothers. Unfortunately, his great size means that he is clumsy on the wing. He leaves the scouting-work to his brothers, and prefers perching on a traveler's back-pack, where he would build his nest, instead of flying.

Bonus: Awe. After making an Awe check, you may re-roll a success die (d6). You must take the new result, even if it is worse. Alternatively, once per adventuring phase, you may re-roll all dice on an Awe check (including the feat die). You must take the new result, even if it is worse. If you have no ranks in Awe, simply add +1 to all results.

Penalty: Courtesy. When making a Courtesy check, if a 6 is obtained with a success die, you must re-roll that 6 and take the new result. If more than one 6s are obtained, only one of them must be re-rolled. If you have no ranks in Courtesy, simply subtract 1 from all results.

Advancement:
(1) By spending a fellowship phase undertaking, the raven can become a permanent companion.
(2) By spending another fellowship phase undertaking and 2 XP, the raven's penalty is removed.
(3) Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain can 'upgrade' the raven with the 'Ravens of the Mountain' unique virtue. If they do so, in addition to the normal benefits, the penalty of the raven is automatically removed (without incurring the additional 2 XP cost).
(4) Characters who (a) have Radagast as a patron; (b) spend a fellowship phase in Rhosgobel and (c) increase their Valour score in the same fellowship phase can, instead of gaining a normal Reward, upgrade their raven. Essentially, the raven then provides a blessing to the 'bonus' skill, in addition to all other bonuses, in much the same way that a wondrous artefact would. In addition, this grants +1 to Standing, as tales spread of the adventurer's affiliation with Radagast.

spacer.pngName: Thunir the pathfinder (also known as Thunir the keen-eyed, Thunir the messenger and Thunir the traveler)

Backstory: For many years, Thunir accompanied Banna, a young Woods-woman from Rhosgobel, and an apprentice to Radagast. However, as Banna learned more and more about the paths in the eaves of the forest, she grew tired of following Thunir, who, curious by nature, often led her astray because of his desire to explore even the dangerous parts of Mirkwood.

Thunir is energetic and knows the forest well, and is adept at finding shortcuts and hidden paths even in the depths of Mirkwood. However, his enthusiasm can get the better of him, and he often wanders off, forcing his human companions to go seeking for him even if they are tired from a long day's march.

Bonus: Explore. After making an Explore check, you may re-roll a success die (d6). You must take the new result, even if it is worse. Alternatively, once per adventuring phase, you may re-roll all dice on an Explore check (including the feat die). You must take the new result, even if it is worse. If you have no ranks in Explore, simply add +1 to all results.

Penalty: Travel. When making a Travel check, if a 6 is obtained with a success die, you must re-roll that 6 and take the new result. If more than one 6s are obtained, only one of them must be re-rolled. If you have no ranks in Travel, simply subtract 1 from all results.

Advancement:
(1) By spending a fellowship phase undertaking, the raven can become a permanent companion.
(2) By spending another fellowship phase undertaking and 2 XP, the raven's penalty is removed.
(3) Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain can 'upgrade' the raven with the 'Ravens of the Mountain' unique virtue. If they do so, in addition to the normal benefits, the penalty of the raven is automatically removed (without incurring the additional 2 XP cost).
(4) Characters who (a) have Radagast as a patron; (b) spend a fellowship phase in Rhosgobel and (c) increase their Valour score in the same fellowship phase can, instead of gaining a normal Reward, upgrade their raven. Essentially, the raven then provides a blessing to the 'bonus' skill, in addition to all other bonuses, in much the same way that a wondrous artefact would. In addition, this grants +1 to Standing, as tales spread of the adventurer's affiliation with Radagast.

spacer.pngName: Munir the curious (also known as Munir the thief)

Backstory: The smallest of the ravens, Munir is also the most curious, and has great interest in all sorts of objects, especially those that are shiny. He also likes crawling into all the drawers and shelves and cupboards in Radagast's cottage, and many of the wizard's confidants say that Munir is the true reason why the wizard's hut is in such disarray.

Munir does not have a good reputation in Rhosgobel: some say he has stolen many coins, and has hidden them somewhere in the forest, in his nest, while others say he knows where old treasure is to be found. These rumours are likely false, but it is true that the raven probably hoards trinkets he has 'borrowed' from the Brown Wizard somewhere in Rhosgobel.

Bonus: Search. After making a Search check, you may re-roll a success die (d6). You must take the new result, even if it is worse. Alternatively, once per adventuring phase, you may re-roll all dice on a Search check (including the feat die). You must take the new result, even if it is worse. If you have no ranks in Search, simply add +1 to all results.

Penalty: Courtesy. When making a Courtesy check, if a 6 is obtained with a success die, you must re-roll that 6 and take the new result. If more than one 6s are obtained, only one of them must be re-rolled. If you have no ranks in Courtesy, simply subtract 1 from all results.

Advancement:

spacer.pngName: Kunir the minstrel (also known as Kunir the loud)

Backstory: Radagast says that when Kunir was an egg, his mother placed him in a cuckoo's nest, as the cuckoo had snuck one of her eggs into the raven's nest in the past. Unfortunately, the cuckoo noticed, and tranferred the raven egg to a song-bird's nest. Kunir was raised amongst the song-birds, and learned to love their song, although his attempts at imitating them made him unpopular. When he grew up, he found his way back to Rhosgobel and the Brown Wizard, who took him under his wing.

The story is very fanciful, although the wizard assures it is true. But Kunir's love of singing is unquestionable, though his song is rarely appreciated in Rhosgobel. His loud voice is more useful as a warning, when danger is near.

Bonus: Awareness. After making an Awareness check, you may re-roll a success die (d6). You must take the new result, even if it is worse. Alternatively, once per adventuring phase, you may re-roll all dice on an Awareness check (including the feat die). You must take the new result, even if it is worse. If you have no ranks in Awareness, simply add +1 to all results.

Penalty: Song. When making a Song check, if a 6 is obtained with a success die, you must re-roll that 6 and take the new result. If more than one 6s are obtained, only one of them must be re-rolled. If you have no ranks in Song, simply subtract 1 from all results.

Advancement:

spacer.pngName: Dunir the seeker (also known as Dunir the hunter)

Backstory: Many hunters venture from Rhosgobel into the forest of Mirkwood, taking secret paths to seek prey, such as the deer that dwell there. Most of them know Dunir, as he likes to observe and accompany them, and some say he has even learned a thing or two about hunting himself. A few of the younger hunters even follow him, claiming that he always finds the largest deer, and in one occasion at least, it was said that he helped in finding and distracting a great stag.

Unfortunately, Dunir is not particularly quiet, and although his croak can distract prey while the hunters kill it, under other circumstances it can draw unwanted attention to the Woodmen nearby.

Bonus: Hunting. After making a Hunting check, you may re-roll a success die (d6). You must take the new result, even if it is worse. Alternatively, once per adventuring phase, you may re-roll all dice on a Hunting check (including the feat die). You must take the new result, even if it is worse. If you have no ranks in Hunting, simply add +1 to all results.

Penalty: Stealth. When making a Stealth check, if a 6 is obtained with a success die, you must re-roll that 6 and take the new result. If more than one 6s are obtained, only one of them must be re-rolled. If you have no ranks in Stealth, simply subtract 1 from all results.

Advancement:

spacer.pngName: Funir the cunning

Backstory: For many years, Funir was a loyal companion to Beran the watchful, the captain of the Scouts of the Southern Wilds, a network of informants for Radagast the Brown that kept the watch on Dol Guldur. Yet recently Beran went missing, and thus Funir returned to the Brown Wizard to seek aid.

Funir has often displayed an uncanny ability to detect lies, something he can communicate to his master. But many superstitious folk, including the Woodmen, still view ravens as an ill omen, especially one whose master was lost or killed...

Bonus: Insight. After making an Insight check, you may re-roll a success die (d6). You must take the new result, even if it is worse. Alternatively, once per adventuring phase, you may re-roll all dice on an Insight check (including the feat die). You must take the new result, even if it is worse.

Penalty: Inspire. When making an Inspire check, if a 6 is obtained with a success die, you must re-roll that 6 and take the new result. If more than one 6s are obtained, only one of them must be re-rolled.

Advancement:

Radagast's blessings

If the companions agree to help Cilderic, each companion is blessed by Radagast; the details of the blessing are up to each player or character, but they can choose one of the following:

Beast Protection
The wizard promises he will tell his animal friends to assist the companion. When the company leaves, every animal will keep an eye on their progress until the end of the adventure.

For the length of the adventure, the character will benefit from a free Attribute bonus on all their Awareness rolls. The bonus is granted as animals send warnings to the companion whenever danger is near: birds sing wildly or stop singing all of a sudden, a thrush starts flying about the companion’s head to catch their attention, a hart jumps in the middle of the encampment turning its head in the direction of the enemy, etc.

Spell of Concealment
When the companion leaves his presence, Radagast places a spell of concealment upon them.

For the duration of the adventure, the companion benefits from a free Attribute bonus on all their Stealth rolls.

Travel Blessing
Radagast casts a spell on the company’s boots (or Hobbit feet!).

For the length of the adventure, the companion benefits from a free Attribute bonus on all their Travel rolls (including Fatigue tests).

Enemy protection

For the length of the adventure, subtract 1 from the companion's Eye awareness score.

"Thats what I thought as well." Nodded Gramtyng to Radagast's words. "Only a true Mearas comes to mind when you listen to the legends told around Wilderland. He looked into the flames of the fireplace, watching the ravens flying around under the roof, absentmindedly holding out his hand to see which landed on it. The raven that chose his hand as his perch was quite a bit louder than his fellows, causing Gramtyng to grin slightly, whistling a bit to see if he could soothe it, then giving it a bit of bread, before replying to Radagast: "Nay. The tale of the Steed of the Moon is something I've heard only here - I suspect if my countrymen knew, many more would show up here." He rubbed his chin in thought, clicking hit tongue at the raven: "I think if we accomplish the first, the second will become easier, myself. But this weakness.. We need to look into it. If it is indeed something we can never do and our task is doomed... Well, we cant know until we try. I gave my oath." He nodded: "Thank you, wise one - I think its best we help Cilderic while we still have time."

Fundor wasn't very pleased at Radagast's answer to his previous remark. He knew that the Magicians are famous for their bad humor. So he decided to let the others do the talk. When Cilderic proposed them to help him in a task, Fundor though of their previous encounter ; They had shared a long hunt after the stolen Sickle of the Moon and they had to fight together against adversaries. That kind of perils creates links and thus Fundor decides to accept Cilderic's proposal.

"I'll come with you if you accept me".

Choice

Funir.

’I trust that Gramtyng speaks for all?’ asked Cilderic the companions. When several nodded in agreement, including Fundor the dwarf, he breathed a sigh of relief. ’Very well,’ he continued, ’then let us take our leave, and gather in the Great House. There we make preparations and rest until sunrise. It is no good to depart in the dark, but we must not tarry either: I say we leave tomorrow.’

The Woodman bowed to the wizard, and Radagast blessed everyone before they departed. After examining the fragments of the broken axe-head, he confirmed that this was indeed wolf-biter, and returned them to Idunn: but she refused, saying that it once belonged to Berengar, and thus they should be left in the wizard’s keeping. With the companions came also the ravens, having chosen for themselves someone to journey with. Radagast’s last words were directed at them, urging them to behave well and cause no trouble in the mission.

spacer.png

After the company had gathered under the roof of Rhosgobel’s great hall, Cilderic made sure that everyone was well-provisioned and had a place to sleep. ’Look to your business, if you have any to attend to.’ he said. ’The journey will be difficult, for we will be scouting deep into the forest, and the southern sections are dense, unwelcoming, and still tainted by the Necromancer. If you want my advise, then hear it: travel light, but make sure you are well-armed. Mirkwood remains the domain of spiders, but orcs have long been bred near Dol Guldur for centuries.

As for myself, I must consult the members of my order. But I will be back soon.’ And with that, he took his leave; yet, true to his word, he was back within an hour, accompanied by two women in travel-worn cloaks. One was not known to the companions, but the other was Fareth, the pipe-smoking lady that was seated by Ceawin during the feast. They all sat in a corner and discussed for a long time, not disturbing the companions’ preparations or sleep.

[OOC: A couple of things you can do:
1. Go talk to some NPCs you may want to, whether they be Hartfast or your countrymen. This will be the last time before the journey, and because time is limited, you have only one post to summarize what you talk about.
2. Make preliminary Lore checks for the journey.
3. Exchange standard gear as you prefer.
4. Talk to Cilderic and the rest of the scouts.
5. Interact with new PCs as they are introduced – I’ll aim for introducing them soon.]