Year 2948: Putting down roots

Vladim

Ingi had looked around for others of his company or his brother during the contest but had been unable to make out familiar faces in the sea that greeted him. He had indeed surprised even himself in the contest and could not but wish the others had been there to see. Previously, among the jovial contests between the men of the lake or in the rivalry with Dale, nerves had always caused him some discomfort with the consequence that his shots did not always fly true but today these had seemed to be absent. Lost in his own thoughts and somewhat buoyed by his successes, Ingi wondered if the experience of using a bow for something other than sport had something to do with this transformation for at least now the consequence of a missed shot seemed very little.

He was brought back down to earth with a rather large bump when the Elf in addressing him politely but rather effectively snatched one of his arrows from his quill and proceeded to inspect and comment on it. Previously, in noticing the elf Ingi had thought that it seemed not very typical, at least given the limited interactions he had had in the market of Laketown, however on hearing the Gloriels congratulation he though at least some of the arrogance seemed to be true. Answering her with a small smile Ingi said “ I thank your for you complements, and for the final we will just have to wait and see” , and acknowledging the presence of Sigward he directed a general “wont we…” in his direction.

These congratulations were interrupted by the appearance of a tall blond stranger and his offer of food drink and sponsorship. Initially surprised at Gloriels blind acceptance, Ingi was only able to offer the stranger a quiet smile and addressed the stranger “ I thank you for your offering and would gladly accept the hospitality you propose, I’m afraid I cannot promise myself to you directly for I am new to these parts and have companions I feel bound to discuss your offer with” and adding as an afterthought “If I may be so bold, I would know more about my potential sponsor, for even given the trade in Laketown I have not seen nor heard of such a standard before” while in the meantime keeping an eye on Sigward to see if he had any more information on their potential benefactor.

[OOC: @ LottieK - I like reading the character interactions so far but as a head's up, I think it's better to avoid characterizing other players' characters (for example, by describing their appearance, equipment, mannerisms, or whatever). It's best to focus on your own character.

Mind you, it's ok to do this sort of thing for (minor) NPCs, but I think it infringes a bit on other players' agency if you do it for their characters, even if it is something seemingly minor.]

[OOC: I hope you don’t mind, but I have found a better picture for Ceawin, so I will replace the one used previously so he does not look like scarface.]

Ceawin smiled at the young elf-maiden (young, in any case, by the reckoning of elves), and laughed as she spoke of wine. The reputation of her small party was already preceding her, that these elf-folk were different from their stern kin that dwelled in the heart of the Woodland Realm, yet Ceawin had not anticipated one as forthright and easy-going as Gloriel.

’Songs and riddles would be welcome indeed!’ he said finally, as soon as he could stop laughing. ’But alas, we have no wine from Dorwinion to offer in exchange, though we have much other drink. Perhaps the lords and ladies of Dale could fulfil your wish,’ he said, smiling, ’but I doubt you will find them in a festive mood, despite the celebrations. Lord Ewald is stern and speaks little, and I doubt he has brought any wine…’

’…As for prizes, as much as I fear disappointing you, there is not much to be gained save the glory of the deed, and perhaps a song for it. The Woodmen are my kin, but they have little by way of gold or silver. Yet my land is blessed with fertile soil, and I can reward you both with coin as well as praise, should you wish it. As for my part, the association with such skilled archers is reward enough.’

Then, Ingi spoke, and as he did, Ceawin listened intently. The man was skilled with words, and his reply was well-spoken and courteous:

’I understand,’ he said as he begun, ’and I shall wait for your decisions, should you wish to seek your companions’ counsel. You are a foreigner to these lands, and though I am a friend of the Woodmen, perhaps you should consider your choice carefully, though I cannot see what ill would come of it.

As for myself, I am Ceawin, and I hail from the Sunstead, a town that sits in a fertile region known as the East Bight.’ He turned and raised his arm to the east, into the forest that led to the Black Tarn, from where the companions had come. ’To travel there, you would need to go east, and journey for a hundred miles or so, through the Narrows of the forest. The East Bight lies at the eaves of Mirkwood. It is a difficult journey, yet now that the Necromancer has been vanquished, the paths are safer, and with a good guide the journey is fast.’

Gloriel knew about the Narrows, for she called Mirkwood her home, and had grown up with many tales and much lore about the great forest. Few Men or Elves ventured into the Narrows, for Dol Guldur was not far from there. Stories spoke of forgotten cairns of Men, great kings and knights of old that once lived there. Some even spoke of their ghosts, that haunted the deepest parts of the Narrows, and were stirred by the Necromancer into malevolence when Dol Guldur was his fortress.

’I am here as a friend of the Woodmen,’ Ceawin continued, ’and in fact their kinsman, for both our lines trace back to the Northmen of old, that once ruled a great kingdom that encompassed all of Wilderland. My father led my folk to the East Bight, and upon his death I have helped them reclaim it, and it is now a prosperous land, with a beautiful Great House, as good as any town of the Woodmen. Yet though my ancestors’ wood-axes carved the East Bight out of Mirkwood, we have forgotten all we once knew of this forest. Now, I seek the Woodsmen’s support in remembering what we once knew. I have come to petition their elders to admit the Sunstead into the other Woodmen settlements, and forge an alliance.

And what is it that brings you here? Word has reached me that you travel with Hartfast of Mountain-Hall, which has surprised me. I wonder why old Hartfast has chosen to surround himself with foreigners… Perhaps he too seeks to secure alliances?’

[OOC: You are free to continue talking to Ceawin, though you can also return to your companions or, in Ingi's case, seek out his brother and cousin.]

While getting close to Bofri's tent, Fundor sees the small market stand full of Dale and Erebor goods. Looking at his own clothes, worn and tarnished by long journeys, Fundor says to Nori "Hey, my friend, don't you think it's time to find something to replace our patched clothes ?" Then he starts looking at clothes that seems solid enough for hard travels, seyants enough for good looking. And Fundor offers Nori to offer him one set he would like.
Fundor also buys 1 or 2 dwarven toys that he puts in his bag.

Then they reach at Bofri'stent when the dwarf explains them his plans and hopes. Fundor shares his cousin's opinion : Reopening the old forest road would be a great event for all peoples of lands west and east of Mirkwood. Still that would require a lot of effort and men in arms to secure the entire road: it would need to hunt and permanently eliminate the threat posed by the werewolf, but also repel the other threats of the forest such as spiders which they had met some members several days earlier. And for that, only the Woodmen and the Elfes of King Thranduil had the knowledge and experience. Bofri was right, he needed to convince the Woodmen to help him. Still even with Woodmen help, that would probably mean many fights and deaths and probably that Woodmen would need more than far-off benefits. Maybe a gift by Erebor of dwarven-quality axes and swords would help the Woodmen in their daily struggle against forest dangers and convince them of the Dwarves good will.

"I've travelled on very long roads from far west Blue Moutains and a secured road would be of great benefit for all free people, for sure. Now I agree with Nori about the risks and the need to get rid first of its main danger, the werewolf. Later on, other dangers like spiders will also have to be taken cared of. Now I accept to talk about this to Harfast. I don't know what will come of him, maybe (turning to Nori) we should talk first to Idunn".

Ingi replied "of Hartfast of mountains halls intention I cannot say, for even if I knew it would not be my place to speak", however as my companions are at present not to be found, I would be honored to avail myself of your hospitality for a little while and to learn of your lands and your people."

Gramtyng's face relayed a very complicated series of expressions, most of them negative. His nostrils flared slightly as the arrogant old man walked towards them and proceeded to treat him as if he was in his employ. Fortunately, the days of being a squire were behind him, and it wasnt this one he'd had to endure. On one hand, this was the first he'd seen his people in a while; but on another, it was people like Heruthain that made him happy he had left the mad king's court. "It is common courtesy, Heruthain, son of Fulgrim, to use the the common tongue when in the company of those who do not understand our tongue." He answered, forcing himself to grin: That would probably annoy him the most: "Or has the time you spent away from the Golden Hall made you forget basic etiquette?" He turned to Idunn and shook his head. "Dont worry, he isnt hostile. Just..." He glanced at Heruthain. "Coarse."

He turned back to the man, giving him an evaluating look: "She isnt 'my woman', in any sense of the word, Heruthain. She is Idunn, daughter of Theodwin, one of my companions. We've part of a delegation that was invited here. What roads brought you here?" This was likely for the best. He wanted to make a quip about Fengel finally retiring the old man - which would have been shocking, but he was insane after all - or if Fengel finally died. He also wanted to point out how it was clear that Fengel's court knew nothing of courtesy, but... That would likely not end well either. His reply was cold and jaded enough not to include those.

Gloriel stayed with Ceawin for now, and was looking forward to his feast despite the lack of her favourite wine from Dorwinion. She was interested in his journey through Mirkwood and hoped to learn something in advance to help the quest of her Lord and Lady at Amon Lanc.

"Well, I'll do my best in the Archery...but I was also thinking about the Song, I could offer my services there as your representative for I think the elves are not invited to participate on their own behalf. I will compose a special song for the event to smoothe the path of your alliance with the Woodmen...what is your father's name?"

"Tell me about your journey through the Narrows...how close did you pass to Amon Lanc? What could you see on it's bare slopes above the forest, any signs of life there, for example smoke from cooking fires? Were you troubled at all along the way?"

"As you wish, cousin," Nori says with a nod of the head. His words do not convey malice or agitation at Fundor's suggestion of bringing Bofri's position to Idunn's attention. In fact, it would probably be prudent to gt the Woodswoman's insight into such a joint venture between all possible parties. There is much to be gained through cooperation, but it will clearly take a toll on all those who participate.

’What you say is true,’ admitted Bofri, ’and this is why the first order of business is to scout these lands, and see with our own eyes the state in which the old forest road has fallen to. The shadows took the heart of the forest many centuries ago, and many dangers still linger here, for certain. But fear not! Our forefathers put all their mastery into building the road, and used many potent spells to preserve it, so there is hope yet.

Before venturing into the forest, I wish to visit both ends of the great road. They lie outside the forest, where the dangers are fewer, and they will tell me much about the road’s current condition, and the difficulty of the task at hand. If the Woodmen agree to help, then the next task would be to find the old keeps that were built to protect the road in centuries past. There were four of them once, and they lie within the forest, along the lands were the old road used to run.

As for the Beast of the forest… I too fear that all our efforts will be for naught if it is not dealt with. But I have heard many rumours whispered here, and I think we are of the same mind as the Woodmen when it comes to this matter. I heard there was an attack near Woodland Hall recently, though the folk of that town will not speak of it freely. Perhaps you have heard something of it on your journey?'

Idunn furrowed her brows, casting her gaze sideways at Gramtyng as he explained what his two compatriots spoke of, and then turned it towards the squire, who, like her, was ready to draw blade. The two eyed each other suspiciously, yet eventually, they seemed to come to some understanding, however tentative, and both put their hands away from their knives, though they remained alert, and with clenched fists.

Erkenbrand was the first to speak, for he was young and brash, and felt compelled to defend his master’s name and reputation. ’And you have forgotten how to address your betters,’ he proclaimed bluntly, still in the tongue of the horse-lords, ’or do I need to remind you who you are speaking to? This is no mere vagabond like you, but a knight of the Golden Hall!’

But it appeared that Haruthain was growing weary of harsh words, for he stepped in, hoping that cooler heads would prevail. Indeed, it seemed that was not his intention to start a quarrel. Thus, he switched to the common tongue, heeding Gramtyng’s request, although he admitted to no such thing as a lack of courtesy.

’I have not come here to fight you; neither with blade nor with words.’ he said finally, addressing both Idunn and her companions, ’Indeed, I am surprised to see *you* here,’ he continued, now addressing Gramtyng, ’and even more to hear that you are an emissary know, amongst these Woodmen, who seem good and decent folk to me.’

There was more he wished to say, for the old knight never held Gramtyng in much regard, yet it would be futile to regress to petty insults. ’He is my countryman, after all, whether I like him or not.’ he thought, as he tried to restrain his more impulsive tendencies.

In the end, his wits prevailed, and so the knight continued. ’It is a long story, yet I need not keep any secrets from you. For now I am, like you, an exile from Meduseld, and without standing with our king.’ Yet he would not speak more of it outside, and asked the companions to follow him inside the tent, where he could speak of the news from Rohan more privately.

As the companions entered the tent, they were given bread and water, and Heruthain finally continued. ’Long had I suspected that Fengel king was mad, though I always held on to hope. But I have hope no longer, and dark days are upon Rohan. I was banished – same as you – though the deed was done of my own choosing.’

Here he paused – explaining the details seemed trivial to him, almost beneath him, for it was a strange tale of inane deeds. Yet he continued regardless. ’As you know, it was my duty to train the knights of the guard. They were young and strong and eager, and still they are, but many are foolish and arrogant. Some need to be taught a lesson, and it was to me to put them in their place when they stepped out of line.

One day, after a great argument, Fengel suggested a duel, to sort it out and to teach a new recruit a lesson. I fought and I won, and drew first blood… but Fengel wanted more. A fey mood was upon him, and he was drunk and had lost all his wits, and he demanded I kill the young fool for his arrogance. Never in my life had I disobeyed an order from the king, but this was madness and folly. And thus, under the Golden Hall, I broke my spear, and my oath, and I left Rohan, leaving all but Erkenbrand behind.’

He looked at Idunn and Gramtyng and Belgo now. He had said much already, yet the tale needed to be told in full, and this was not the end of it. But now he looked to them to see if either of them had anything to say.

Ceawin smiled to Ingi and Gloriel, and gave a small, courteous bow. ’You honour me with your words,’ he said, ’but let us continue our conversation in my tent.’ He turned to the elven maiden: ’There are others that have come with me, and they may be better suited to answer your questions.’

Ceawin’s tent was only a short walk from where the three of them stood; the banner of his home, the Sunstead, waved over it: a shining sun on a green field. Inside were many men and women, but most were of the Woodmen, here to enjoy Ceawin’s hospitality just like Ingi and Gloriel. With Ceawin, it seemed, only about a dozen companions had come, but they bore with them much treasure, much food and much drink, if the interior was anything to go by. Out of these strangers, the strangest by far was a hooded woman, who ate little and spoke even less, content merely to smoke her pipe – a strange and uncommon habit in these lands – and drink ale. Ceawin sat by her, and invited the companions to take his other side.

Firstly, Ceawin thanked both companions for considering to represent him at the contest, and promised them both treasure in return, regardless of whether they won or not; though if they would bring renown to the Sunstead by winning, he would give even more. Whether it were archery or song it mattered little, for Ceawin, as he said, would be honoured to be represented in either contest. He gave his father’s name, which was Ingelram, to Gloriel, should she wish to compose a song, before turning to the matter of his journey.

’The Narrows seemed abandoned, as far as I could tell… Though I have heard many ghost stories in my youth, as no doubt have you, I did not see any sign of the Wood-wights, though I did not disturb their resting places. I dared not, for it is still a dark and gloomy place, where the howls of wolves haunted our nights, and big, buzzing flies tormented us for many days. I will not lie to you: it was not a pleasant journey, but it was necessary, and though uncomfortable, it did not feel unsafe. But I did not travel alone: I had with me Fareth, an apprentice to the Wizard Radagast, who knows many hidden paths in these lands well, and another one, a mercenary from distant lands, much skilled in war.’

He looked around, as if looking for someone, before whispering a few words to a retainer. Soon, the servant was off on an errand from his master, while the master continued. ’I do not believe you have met Fareth: without her my journey would have been made much harder.’

spacer.pngLeisurely, the woman by Ceawin stirred to action, leaving her cup to address her master. ’Radagast insisted on it, and Ceawin pays well.’ she said to the companions.

[OOC: In game terms, if either of Ingi or Gloriel agree to represent Ceawin at any of the contests, Singing or Archery (but not both), they immediately receive 2 treasure points, and an additional 3 if they win.

You can also roll Insight (TN 14) to discover if some things are amiss...]

Gramtyng regarded Erkenbrand with a slightly pitying look, but said nothing. He figured it would be more insulting then informing him that a squire should not speak unless spoken to when others were talking. The lack of manners from the squire of a man who had none to speak of was about expected, anyway. "Thank you for your kind words, Haruthain. Thankfully, the people of this land do have a sense of humor, and are decent and welcoming folk who sheltered me after I nearly died on the mountain pass from orc arrows, hunger and cold - you know, the ones that the mad king had sent me into after pointing out someone decided to go on a parade while drunk." He tried to keep the bitterness from his voice, it was likely still there. He drank the water offered in one gulp and sat down the mug, his gaze dark. "Your story only makes me happier that I've left, and solidifies my decision to not return. I did not think that madness would have seeped into Fengel to that degree... Dark days are upon Rohan." He paused, shaking his head. Haruthain, while coarse and rude, wasnt a bad man - and though it took a lot to restrain himself and ignore Erkenbrand and Haruthain's comments, it wasnt like it was anything he'd have to get used to. "...I may disagree with you on any number of things, but... I dont think you broke any oath. If the king is ill - and he was, and it seems to have gotten worse - then you held to your oath as a knight, even if you disobeyed the king. What you did was right and honorable."

"I see that your wisdom is not overwhelmed by the entouthiasm of your project and that you already had long and deep thoughts about that old road."

Fundor turns to Idunn that he may see further. He sees that she's busy in a talk with Gramtyng and some unknown men. I'll have talk with a Wood-Women who could help us on. She's busy right now but we can wait.
Fundor turns towards Idunn and waits for the moment she seems to be unbusy. Then he walks towards her and call her "Hi Idunn, daughter of Theodwin. May I get some of your time for a talk with a cousin from Erebor that I met here ? He has a project that concerns both our peoples."

Heruthain fell silent at Gramtyng’s words, and for some moments it appeared as if he was in deep contemplation, for he did not respond immediately. Yet the comment had little other effect on him, for he did not respond to it, nor did he wish to speak any further about the braking of oaths.

’Dark days indeed...’ he said finally, breaking his silence. ’For I have seen such madness consume men of lesser stature, and I know well where this path leads. Fengel cannot go on for long – no man can.’

A deep, dark mood now fell within the tent, and both Heruthain and his squire looked grim and gloomy. Yet Heruthain had not completed the telling of his tale, and there was much more that needed to be explained. At length he spoke again, continuing his recollections: ’Word had reached Rohan by that time of a great deed done in the North: the killing of a dragon by King Bard. Thus we rode hard, for many days and many nights, seeking the restored city of Dale.

I was angry, and full of hate, and thought that Bard would help me depose of Fengel. I was wrong, of course, but at that time, I did not know it, and so it did not stop me from seeking an audience. Yet even though I won the great contest of horsemanship, at the Gathering of the Five Armies, I was not granted one. I suppose King Bard saw my anger, and thought it unwise to interfere in the politics of a distant land. Yet tales of my deeds spread across Wilderland, speaking of a rider from far away, who bore a horse-tailed helmet and unmounted even Elstan, the First Captain of Dale.

That was less than a year ago. I failed in seeking an audience, but there were many nobles and diplomats in King Bard’s court. One in particular reminded me something that I had long forgotten: that Fengel’s son, Thengel, remained in Gondor, and had grown to a fine man, brave and wise, despite his father. That man was called Lord Baranor, of the noble house of Targon, an emissary from the ancient city of Minas Tirith.’

Heruthain fell silent again. Now the telling of the tale was coming to an end, though there were many deeds that still needed to be done for it to be truly over. Then he spoke again, and thus he concluded:

’I have sworn to seek out Thengel, for his father is mad, and not long for this world. The son may not know of the deeds of the father, but he must be told, and must be made ready to return. For if he does not, the lords of the Westfold and the Eastfold will tear our kingdom apart. They hate each other, and under Fengel’s rule they plot and scheme against one another, each biding their time and waiting for the king’s death to fall upon Edoras like crows on corpses.’

It was at that moment that Fundor finally found them, and spoke to Idunn. The huntress looked at the dwarf, surprised to see him there. Then, barely a moment later, an emissary arrive and spoke to Heruthain, telling him that his master was seeking him.

As Fundor took his leave, Nori and Bofri were left alone, and could speak in private. Though Bofri had said all regarding his plans about the Old Forest Road, there were still many things that troubled him, for he was a meticulous planner, and needed to worry about much if he were to see his plans bear fruit.

’There is another matter…’ he finally admitted to Nori. ’Just yesterday, Borin, son of Dorin, arrived in Rhosgobel from the Grey Mountains. He seemed grim and weary from his journey, and though we met, he only spoke little. Now I worry if he supports my plan about the Road, for I do not know why he is here. His chieftain, Frar, is at odds with king Dain, and I worry that, if he is under orders from him, he will bring trouble. We are amongst Men, and cannot appear divided. I was told that you know him well… is there anything that I should be concerned with?’