Year 2948: Putting down roots

Vladim

’But of course!’ said Einar enthusiastically. ’Gather around, gather around!’ he added, calling to the companions while producing a well-crafted fiddle, an unusual instrument in these parts of Wilderland, that was surely purchased from the market or Dale or Lake-town.

Soon, Idunn joined him with her tin whistle, as she knew how to carry the old tune, as well as Hartfast, with his deep voice and his lyre, and Wulfred with his flute.

The song recalled the tale of Master Harald, the greatest wolf-hound Mountain Hall had ever produced. These were the words that Hartfast sang:

‘Twenty-eight sixty-three being the date and the year,
Great hunters and Woodmen and strangers appeared
For to gain the great prizes and bear them away',
Never counting on Lurgan from far Mountain-town.

On the twelfth of November, that day of renown,
Lurgan and his hound, well they left Mountain-town,
‘Cross river and plain’s how they travelled afar,
Till the reached the great forest and great Woodmen-town.

Oh well when they arrived there in big Woodmen-town,
Those great Woodmen hunters all gathered around,
And a huntsman amongst them was standing nearby
Said, 'Is that the great dog you call Master Harald?'

Oh well another hunter now standing around,
Says, 'I don't care a damn for your Mountain-Hall hound!'
And another he sneered with a scornful 'Ha! Ha!
We'll soon humble the pride of your Master Harald.'

Then old Lurgan came forward and he said, 'My clansmen,
If there's any amongst you has money to spend.
For your great forest greyhounds I don't care a straw,
Here's five thousand to one upon Master Harald.'

Oh, Harald he looked up and he wagged his old tail.
Informing his master, 'Sure I know what you mean,
Don't fear, noble Brownlow, don't fear them agra,
We'll soon tarnish their laurels', says Master Harald.

Oh well Rose stood uncovered, the great Woodmen pride,
Her master and keeper were close by her side;
They let them away and the crowd cried, 'Hurrah!'
For the pride of the Woodmen and Master Harald.

Oh well Rose and the Master they both ran along.
'I wonder', says Rose, 'what took you from your home.
You should have stayed there in your Mountain domain,
And not come to gain laurels in great Woodmen-town.'

'Well, I know', says the Master, 'we have wild heather bogs
but, up there in our mountains there's good men and dogs.
Lead on, forest huntress, give none of your jaw,
Stuff that up your nostrils', says Master Harald.

Well the hare she led on just as swift as the wind
He was sometimes before her and sometimes behind,
He jumped on her back and held up his old paw
And he won the great contest in great Woodmen-town.’

[OOC: Music and most of the lyrics shamelessly stolen from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf4emisRCvI]

The journey to Stonyford – continued

As the journey continued, the mountains the companions left behind them were replaced by hills, and these too eventually gave way to the plains that flanked both sides of the Great River Anduin. The lands were green yet sparsely populated, and despite the beauty of the landscape, Hartfast warned the companions against tarrying here. Many orcs and goblins made their dens in the Misty Mountains, he said, and they were known to use the labyrinthine tunnels under them to venture as far as the fields of Gladden, where the river Icewater poured into, and where the mists and fogs from the marches protect them from the rays of the sun.

The Wolfswood lay to the south, less than a day’s march from where the companions were, and although the Woodmen of Mountain-Hall and the River-folk had a presence there, the company avoided the small forest. Only once did they come upon a wondering shepherd, who was surprised to see such a diverse group, led by the chieftain of Mountain-Hall and his sons no less. She lived in a small homestead near the Wolfswood, not far from the hunters’ lodge, and though she was keen to offer them hospitality, Hartfast declined her offer politely, saying that they had business in Rhosgobel.

Mainly for Ingi

As they travelled along the edge of the small forest, the companions could hear the songs of many birds. To Ingi the strange sounds mingled with words in his own tongue, acquiring some meaning, though he never could follow anything beyond basic snippets of conversation. It was unclear if the birds actually spoke, but judging from the reactions of his companions, who were oblivious to the words, this was unlikely, and soon he could understand that what few things the Beornings and old Mab had taught him about the speech of birds were actually true.

Indeed, here he listened to how a mother urged her still featherless chicks not to fly south, where the grim hawks played upon both carrion and weaker birds. There, a flock of daring eagles raced in the skies, boasting that they were faster than the Great Eagles, their cousins up north. On one occasion, a group of magpies followed the company for hours, from time to time exclaiming loudly to each other about the ‘shinies’ they had seen on one of the shorter companions. With time, they grew frustrated, and started fighting arguing amongst themselves, and they eventually gave up the chase.

spacer.png

On the noon of the seventh day, the companions reached the Anduin, and from there, crossing the river to Stonyford was an easy matter, as the Beornings had two ferry-men to help travellers to their village. Einar looked upon the Anduin with awe and could hardly contain his excitement.

’The river Anduin! When I was in Dale, I met a strange man from far away. He often spoke of his country, Gondor, and its capital, the White City. He said that the Anduin flowed for hundreds of miles to the south, twisting and turning many times, but it eventually reached his lands and his capital. I did not believe it at the time, for I was struck with the greatness of Dale and Lake-town and Erebor, and would not believe that any other city could surpass them. But King Bard said it was true… and thus it must be so. Minas Tirith he called it, and he remembered its streets and its keep with great nostalgia, describing it to us for hours at times. Perhaps it is foolish, but his stories were beautiful, and so I long for nothing but to see this fabled city with my own eyes one day.’

Stonyford, the small village across the river, could certainly not compete with the great city in Einar’s recollections, but it was a safe haven, and its folk were well-known to the companions. It would serve well as a place for them to rest and gather their strength.

OOC

Right, I think we have waited long enough, so I will narrate what happens in Stonyford later on, when I find time. Please give me a Travel check (TN 14) within the next two days so that I can push the narrative forward again.

The musical interlude along the trip brought out a festive side of Nori he had not shown since his return to the fellowship from the Lonely Mountain. From what his colleagues could see, some of the stress and toil of the trip seemed to melt away from his exterior as the group learned the song taught to them by Einar and the dwarf put himself out there, trying to learn the song the best he could and lend what musical talent he had. He clearly enjoyed the time of camaraderie - with new and old friends alike - which spurred him on for further travel.

The further travel, while eagerly undertaken, seemed to send Nori back a few steps. No matter what he tried, the dwarf never seemed to find consistent footing or an easy stride in their travels - having to stop a few times here and there to readjust his pack and minimize the toll it was taking on him. In the end, he was able to keep up with the rest of the fellowship, but it was not easy travel for a dwarf - something odd, but not unheard of.

The stop at Stonyford was brief: Hartfast did not wish to tarry here, when there was the business in Rhosgobel waiting. The emissaries were greeted warmly in the small Beorning village and treated well, as their deeds were not forgotten. As for the chieftain of Mountain-Hall, he left each member of the fellowship to do as they pleased, while he spoke to Ava, the head of the village and a thane of Beorn. He took his sons with him, wishing to show them a thing or two about negotiating trade with allies.

spacer.pngOn the morning of the day of their departure, Hartfast gathered his comrades by the gate, where another man, tall and grim-looking, was also waiting for them. He was strong and burly and had long, unkempt hair and an equally scruffy beard – the hallmarks of a proud Beorning warrior. Indeed, many scars covered his limbs: the man was surely a veteran of many battles.

When Hartfast spoke, the man interrupted him, introducing himself as Grimbold of the High Pass, and another one of Beorn’s thanes. While thane Ava’s duty was to protect Stonyford, and thane Merovech, her husband, was expected to deal with brigands and oath-breakers, Grimbold was in charge of keeping the High Pass safe and to help travellers across it. But, as fate would have it, now he was tasked by his chief to attend the gathering of the Woodmen, and so he would travel with the company, bringing news from the Misty Mountains to the elders of Rhosgobel and the Brown Wizard.

------------------------------------------------

For the next three days, the envoys journeyed on, towards the Western Eaves of the great forest. Their newest companion seemed tireless, singing or humming happily while others struggled to keep the pace. Einar and Wulfred were pleased with his presence: they were certain that, should they come to any trouble, the Beorning could be counted on for keeping them all safe.

On the second day, as the company approached the forest, they started coming upon many cottages and farmsteads. Here, the Woodmen kept herds of sheep, cows and pigs and let them graze on the fertile land. As they travelled on, children followed them, peppering them with questions before running off to chase an animal or a sibling. The spring had been bountiful and the summer mild, and the mood was one of peace and contentment.

It was not long before the company entered the forest, but this was not the dark and foreboding heart of Mirkwood. The Woodmen had thinned the trees, and much light entered through the canopy, but the leaves still sheltered the fellowship from the noon sun. By the evening, the emissaries of Mountain-Hall stood at the gates of Wuduseld: Woodland Hall, the greatest of all the Woodmen settlements.

spacer.png

OOC

The company will be stopping for a few days in Woodland Hall, so feel free to role-play or pursue specific goals for your characters. I may also give some more ideas in a later post. For now, here's a map of the places you can visit along with some suggestions:
1. Follow Hartfast and his sons.
2. Discuss/interact with Grimbold.
3. Try to secure boats or a larger barge for the next step of the journey.
4. Collect stories, news and rumours.
5. Return the fragments of the axe wolf-biter to the chieftain of Woodland Hall.
6. Join/follow Idunn (she has a character arc here that will be revealed at a later post).

Map of Woodland Hall:

spacer.png

OOC

1. Woodland Hall: The proper Wuduseld, the Great House stands on a steep-sided hill. Generations of work by the Woodmen cut away the sides of the hill, so now there is only a single path leading up to the flat top, making it very easy to defend. Woodland Hall is a magnificent structure, more than twice as large as any other Great Hall and richly decorated with all manner of carvings and tapestries.

2. Hedge and Stockade: The intricate hedge surrounding the village is the tallest the Woodmen have ever raised west of the forest. It is reinforced by an ancient stockade, raised atop an earthen rampart. The older stakes composing the wooden barrier are intricately wound with carvings, and are considered to magically protect the hall.

3. Caves: These caves at the base of the cliff are cool even in the height of summer, and so are used to store meat and other perishable goods. The eastern caves become partially flooded at times, and the Rivermaidens have been seen sporting there.

4. Watchposts: Platforms atop these tall trees provide advance warning of any approaching threat. The thick forest canopy hides most movement, but the Woodmen are adept at spotting shaking leaves or the sudden flight of birds that signal the presence of an intruder. Each look-out is trained to imitate the whistles and calls of various birds so they can communicate with each other secretly, and each watchpost has a horn to sound to alert the town below.

5. Tree Houses: The big oak trees in this forest support a small number of very old tree-houses of considerable size, built by the early settlers of Woodland Hall. A few solitary individuals still inhabit them, as they believe that in Mirkwood you are safer in the treetops than on the ground. Some of these Woodmen boast that they were ten years old before their feet ever touched the ground.

6. Docks: North of this point, the Dusky River becomes too narrow and swift to be easily navigable, but there is a wide and still pool here for the boats to dock.

7. Woodland Road: In years past, ambitious Woodmen dreamed of cutting a path through the forest to the north-west, to emerge close to the Old Ford. The elders of the Woodmen objected — they feared that if such a road was opened, enemies could easily follow it into the forest and the protection of Mirkwood would be lost. Instead, the Woodmen cut several sections of the road, leaving forested gaps between each section. Each section was a smooth, well-maintained path through the forest along which a traveller or even a horse and cart could move quickly, but it ended abruptly.

Only an experienced guide knew where the next section of road lay. Using the Woodland Road could cut the travel time between Woodland Hall and the Old Ford by several days. The Woodland Road is no longer maintained, and most of the road sections are now choked with new growth. Still, travellers in Mirkwood may still happen upon an odd long clearing that runs straight for a few miles before vanishing again.

A return to Woodland Hall. Idunn had called the settlement home in the past, if only for a few months, yet they were the happiest of her life. This was the town of her betrothed. It was here that she honed her skills, joining him in many hunts, as she waited for their wedding-day, which was destined to never come. The return stirred strong emotions in the huntress, and awakened many memories: some of unsurpassable joy, some of the deepest sorrow.

Of course, Idunn expected all of this – she knew well that her return would be difficult as soon as Hartfast pointed to the town on the map. And she had prepared for it well: she steeled herself against the torrent of memories and emotions, and focused on the tasks at hand, for there was much to be done here. As Hartfast explained that the companions were free to do as they pleased for the next three days, Idunn stepped forward and spoke to the fellowship.

’Then you must excuse me.’ she said with iron determination. ’I have unfinished business here, and I must see to it – alone.’

OOC

As mentioned previously, we can split the fellowship now, with each character doing whatever they want. Idunn will do just that, as she has stuff to do here. Though, if you want, you can try convincing her otherwise, or try to follow her quietly, or whatever. She is essentially an NPC for this scene.

OOC / Options

Alright, so following the discussion at Discord, I want to offer more focused options so that you don't suffer from (in)decision paralysis. Here are some main options and their mechanics, but don't feel limited by them (if you have other ideas, please suggest them, or just go ahead and post anyway):

1. Secure boats at the docks (Persuade, Awe, Courtesy; TN 14; great or extraordinary successes may provide more options). Any Rich or Prosperous characters can also offer coin for boats. By doing so, they decrease their standard of living (to Martial or Frugal, respectively) for the rest of the adventure, but in exchange they can choose to either add an attribute bonus to their checks (for no Hope cost), or upgrade their quality of success by one level.

2. Stay at Wuduseld with Grimbold. Roll 1d100 to pick up a random rumour. You can also roll Awe (boasting), Song (music), Inspire (storytelling) or Riddle (enigmas) at TN 14. Success means you pick up another rumour (roll 1d100 again).

3. Follow / Interact with Idunn. Following her is a Stealth check (opposed by her awareness). Convincing her to explain herself is a Persuade check (TN 14), but a Great / Extraordinary success (or a Gandalf) are required.

Splitting the party will only last for 1-2 posts, so don't worry about it.

Grimbold’s mention of maintaining the pass seemed to pique the dwarf’s curiosity, but Nori made no mention of it – just a quiet mental note that he carried with him all the way to Wuduseld. He occasionally would glance towards Grimbold as they travelled, eavesdropping on conversations as he could, but the trek to the Woodmen settlement was a taxing one and left Nori little time to subtly investigate.

Upon reaching Woodland Hall, the company decided to break to tend to their respective interests and tasks. It was then that Nori decided to approach Grimbold and introduce himself. Approaching the thane, Nori takes a strong stance before him, puffing out his chest a bit, before introducing himself. “Grimbold of the High Pass,” Nori says in a firm tone. “I am Nori, son of Glom, craftsman of Erebor. I was hoping you could tell me more of the challenges you face guarding the pass and those who would travel it.”

When Grimbold has shared what he feels is appropriate, Nori attempted to elicit additional detail from the man by recounting his meeting with the werewolf of Mirkwood. However, the areas being quite different in nature, Nori’s story most likely came off as boastful rather than empathetic and leaving Grimbold with not much to say other than something along the lines of “Fortunate you are to have escaped.”

Unlike his usual self, Gramtyng preferred to not talk overly much, silently listening to what people were saying instead and hoping to pick up rumors and odd tales. Normally, he'd have just gone to the inn and bought a round then asked for stories but... things probably worked differently out here, this close to Mirkwood. Though the Woodmen here were quite friendly, and he felt a bit more at home in Mountain Hall after all. It reminded him of his birth home - and Wuduseld of Edoras. Not happy memories... Belgo however was not in on the plan to be quiet and asked questions of everyone and about everything After being a bit annoyed, Gramtyng decided it was to his advantage to let the lad's curiosity free - people opened up easier to a child, after all - and though Belgo knew how to ride and use a blade (somewhat), right now, asking questions with gleaming eyes and a wide smile, he seemed younger than his years. The bard shook his head - how soon would this childlike glee be gone, removed by the weight of rssponsibility and reality of their realm? Orcs, wolves, spiders, and nameless shadows... He followed Grimbold and Nori, talking little.

With Idunn taking her leave, Nori and Grimbold, accompanied by Gramtyng and his squire, set out to the top of the hill, where the Great House of Wuduseld awaited them. They quickly discovered the Woodmen of Woodland Hall to be friendly and inquisitive; more open than the folk at Mountain-Hall, who seemed reserved and quiet by comparison. Indeed, though it took days for the companions to make friends in Mountain-Hall, they only needed a few hours by the great hearths of Wuduseld to get the folk there discussing with them. The good food there, the result of several good hunts earlier this year, certainly helped.

Grimbold for his part was content with his role as an observer, taking the time to examine the carvings of the Great Hall that depicted many stories and legends. As he relaxed by the fire, he took his time answering Nori’s questions. He knew who the dwarf was – the stories from Stonyford had spread across the lands of the Beornings, and he was glad to see that his folk, however slowly, had begun accepting the presence of Nori’s folk around their lands, despite the grudges that Beorn bore against them.

’We’ve had a few good years.' he said to Nori. ’After the Battle of the Five Armies, many of the orcs in Wilderland were killed, and the few that survived did not trouble travellers much, instead cowering in their pits, squabbling and killing each other. But now they are breeding again, and there’s a new Great Goblin in Goblin-town. I wish your folk had kept Gundabad and fortified it. Wilderland would be much safer if your kings held on to it.’

The man’s words revealed that he knew more than he let on: he had heard of the war of orcs and dwarves, and even held an opinion on the matter. Though he did not have the appearance and manners of a scholar, it was clear that he was no mere brute.

[OOC: Below I shall post some random rumours you pick up from Woodmen. Feel free to fill in the details if you want.]

Nori

’Seems like there’s another wizard for the gathering in Rhosgobel. Radagast always said he had cousins, but I thought he meant the birds and the beasts. Guess I was wrong. Saw him one week ago, staff and pointy hat and grey robes and all. He rode well… for an old man.’

Gramtyng

’We used to care little for coin: we never had much of it, nor much use for it. But all these tales from far are making the young folk greedy. They say that some hunters in Rhosgobel have given up tracking and trapping for treasure-hunting. The most foolish go to Dol Guldur, trying to find the Necromancer’s cursed riches. None has returned so far.’

’They say that the folk at Black Tarn Hall have the blessing and the help of the River-Maidens. Even if it is so, they’d be fools to trust them. The River-Maidens do as they please, and care little for us mortals. One day their song helps children to safety, another it lures boatmen to their deaths. You better be careful if you’re heading down the Durky River. Seal your ears if you hear their song.’

Fundor is glad that this first step of travel is finished : he will be able to have a good rest in a fine bed and have a good meal and drink. Still he knows that next step on the river will probably be much more uncomfortable as he isn't used to boats and forest. And after the bad encounter with the living evil tree in the north and after the werefolf story of Nori, Fundor wants to continue being able to stay alert and ready to any needed action. So he goes to the docks and takes time to look at fishermen and boats maneuvers. Then he tries to find somebody who might give him training of boats, he will pay him for that task, half at the start, the other half when the training is finished and Fundor feels much more comfortable onboard.

The Woodmen at the docks of Woodland Hall were at first reluctant to deal with a dwarf – not because of any dislike towards that race, but rather because a dwarf seeking a boat was unheard of. However, as soon as the name of Hartfast was mentioned, the boatmen started taking Fundor seriously, and quickly they were convinced to find some suitable boats for the chieftain of Mountain-Hall, provided that they would be returned after the folk-moot. For a few more coins, they were even willing to show Fundor a trick or two.

OOC

Because of the Great Success in Persuade, you are not limited to the small flat-bottomed river-boats, dug-out trees or rafts that Woodmen typically use, but have a few better options:

(1) Two round-bottomed skiffs, each taking up to 5 boatmen. They can move much faster, especially downstream, helping you cut the journey time by half (3 days instead of 6 days).
(2) One large flat-bottomed barge that can accommodate the entire fellowship of 10. It does not move any faster, but it ensures that the fellowship does not have to split.

By paying some coin, you can learn a thing or two about boating. This gives you one (only one) invocation of the Boating trait for this adventure. In exchange you have to reduce your standard of living to Frugal for the rest of the adventure.

The choices are yours to make; either way the boatman also warns you of spiders along the river. With the orcs gone, their numbers have been left unchecked, and some of the more desperate ones set traps with their webs on the trees, hunting men much like a fisherman fishing in the river.

After a long moment, Fundor joins back his companions and tell them "I'm back from the docks, I wanted to get prepared for that boat journey. I've gotten us 2 round-bottomed skiffs that should cut the journey by half, about 3 days instead of 6. And after some time with rivermen at the docks tavern, I got some information on the dangers that awaits us on that path : We might encounter spiders that have webs and waits for victims in the trees close to the river. We'll have to be very careful !"

Nori accepts Grimbold's words with a nod of the head. In a sort of bittersweet tone, the dwarf replies, "Yes - we don't always craft a masterpiece the first time around. But there's nothing to say it can't be put back in the forge and mended." The veiled statement seems to go towards Grimbold's lamenting of Mount Gundabad's control and the evil that is beginning to creep out from the mountain stronghold once again. An uneasy smile is given towards the Woodsman, but Nori leaves his statement at that.

----------

When Fundor returned with news of the boats, Nori nodded his head in agreement with his cousin's decision. "I think being able to move swiftly was an excellent choice," he tells Fundor before looking at the others who have gathered. "We should be able to make up for any lost time if we are slowed down and hopefully outrun any trouble we might encounter on the river." His eyes are cast back to Fundor as he congratulates the dwarf on his procurement. "A fine bargain you found."

----------

Before setting out on their journey, taking Fundor's warning of spiders and their webs to heart, Nori attempted to craft two 'web breakers' out of wood to reinforce and affix to the bow. Perhaps it was worry about damaging the boats or the lack of time, but the 'web breakers' seemed a bit flimsy. It very well could have been Nori's own arrogance in thinking he could fashion something for a maritime vessel, having little to no experience with the water. Whatever the case, while the 'web breakers' were attached, they probably would either catch more than just webs and render themselves useless or break against the strength of the spider webs.

On Day 2 of the journey, Nori jumped on one of Gramtyng's idle songs to pass the time and attempted to bring a bit of cheer to the fellowship by moving to the bow of the boat. Following along with the music, he did his best to create a whimsical dance, incorporating wafting arms, spins, and what balance he could muster. Unfortunately for the dwarf, his boat hit a buried stone in the water, which sent Nori overboard and into the frigid stream. While it certainly may have brought on a laugh or two, it was a short detour from their travels and may have frustrated the few that had to help him out of the water.

On Day 3, Nori tries to help his comrades take their minds off the approaching end of their journey. Eager anticipation of a trip's end can be just as painful to endure as other trials and tribulations of such travel. He offers to them a host of riddles, including:

"A bound serpent dances on the cave floor.
Writhing guardsman of the windy door.
Sharp yet supple and mute yet speaking.
Devoid of hunger, nourishment seeking."

The rest of his time spent is watching the river's path and flow as well as the sky. Nori doesn't have the opportunity to be on land where he is most comfortable, but does what he can to scout the river and provide tips for safely navigating it. Whenever there is a need to portage, the dwarf attempts to find the shortest or easiest paths to navigate, but usually there is only one direct approach to take.