Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Year 2948: Putting down roots

Vladim

Nori’s story only confirmed what Idunn had long suspected: that the Werewolf prowled the forest of Mirkwood from west to east, attacking the Woodmen as well as the Sylvan elves. She remembered well the large, unnatural claw-print she had discovered near the elf-path, and her companion’s report made it clear beyond doubt that it belonged to the beast.

There was not much to be said: the fact that Nori and Borin had survived was some consolation, although others had been less lucky. Idunn would have much time to brood over the grim news in days to come, but now she erupted in anger against the foolishness of the elven-king:

’This is all Thranduil’s fault!’ she complained, for she had no great love of elves, as those she had met were aloof or foolish. ’None of this would have happened had he chosen to listen to me! Now the Beast is at his doorstep, and he will be forced to act, but many have lost their lives already. We must bring this matter to the council.’ she concluded, referring to the great folk-moot at Rhosgobel, ’If the elves do not act immediately, then the Woodmen must.’

After the meeting with Hartfast adjourned, Einar approached Burnaby, with Wulfred reluctantly following (mainly to humor his younger brother, it seemed to Burnaby) and asked if he would show him how to use this "pipe weed" that he had spoken of during the meeting with Hartfast. Burnaby agreed, and the three of them sought out a more private area behind the trading post.

Einar struggled with the smoking of the pipe weed at first, suffering a fit of coughing, but he was a quick learner and before long had gotten the hang of it. The pipe weed that Burnaby had given Einar was a special blend, a lighter version mixing Old Toby with a milder herb--a blend Burnaby's father created, called Dawn Musing).

For the better part of two hours, Burnaby sat with Einar and Wulfred on barrels behind the trading post, smoking and sharing stories of his home, the Shire, and his eventful travels thus far, including the wolf attack, the hospitality of Elrond's house and of Beorn and his people, and finally the attack at the Old Ford.

Later in the evening, after having left Einar and Wulfred, Burnaby found himself in the house of Gerold along with Nori, Fundor, and others whom he had either met briefly at Beorn's councel the previous Fall, or whom he had heard of through Nori and Fundor.

As the evening progressed, Burnaby listened as others told of their travels and experiences during the previous Fall, Winter, and the early spring of this year. Burnaby told of his travels from the Shire to Elrond's house, to Beorn's house, to the Old Ford. As he told of the attack on the Old Ford, his eyes met Fundor's and they shared a serious look. When Burnaby mentioned the strange marking found on the armor and shields of some of the attackers at the Old Ford (a small depiction of a castle wall over triangle, with a crown atop it), he noticed a look that passed between some of the others present...

spacer.pngGramtyng, seeing the path solidified to one of a river sort, wanted to go give over Leasere and Belgo's horse (the boy had yet to come up with a name, though the rohirrim kept offering new ones, Belgo stubbornly refused them all). On Nori's request, however, he decided to quickly give over Leasere and the other horse instead of taking his time chatting with the daughters of Hartfast; staying just enough to give them a short song as a motivation to take good care of his mount. He left quickly after to listen to Nori's harrowing experience. When he realized what the dwarf was talking about, his good mood vanished as quickly as his smile did. "So it ranges that far now..." He muttered, trying to estimate how far it went from its lair - and if they could figure out where that was. "You say that, Idunn..." He replied slowly, scratching at his beard: "...But the elves may not act even now. Not to badmouth anyone, but who suffered from the wolf? Woodmen. Travelling dwarves. Thranduil is concerned only what happens nearby his realm... So if the wolf assaults the elves, then maybe he will take action. But otherwise...? I doubt it. I think we're on our own here."

Looking as though a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders, Nori seems a bit more at ease after sharing his story with his companions. Now that they are aware of what danger lies ahead, he seems comforted by them at least knowing - even if their reactions to it are something other than pleasant. Giving a firm nod of the head after he hears the input from each of them, the dwarf says to Fundor at first - but it is clearly meant for the group in their entirety, "Aye. As long as we go prepared, I have no fear. We will alert your kin..." His eyes briefly linger on Idunn as he makes reference to the moot. "... and perhaps there is something we can all do to protect any who would fall prey to this foul beast." Taking a step in towards Idunn, Nori looks up at her with a resolute expression on his face. "I may not have taken this creature as seriously as before, but you have my full support in putting it's terror to rest. Whatever I can do - you have it," he tells her firmly.

’Perhaps we stand alone.’ said Idunn to Gramtyng. ’But the Beast now hunts in the elven-king’s realm, and it won’t be long before it claims the lives of his folk as well. This will happen, sooner or later, and he will be forced to act.

I must consult with Radagast. He will know what to do.’

There was little else she could say on the matter; without new information, all she could do was bring the matter to the council’s attention, and hope that the elders would act. She questioned Nori carefully about the details of the attack, and when there was nothing else her companion would say, she returned her attention to the journey at hand.

[Out of Character (OOC), @ Diofant: I’ll skim over this part, but the horses will be cared for at Mountain-Hall well, in part thanks to the successful Song check. If you want to develop this part of the story more, feel free to do so, for example by developing the daughter NPCs. But we can always do that in another adventure, or handle it in the background.]

------------------------------------------

The next day

Before the sun rose over the Misty Mountains, Wulfred awoke the companions, as he had learnt they were staying with Gerold. The time had come to gather by the Burg. Unaccustomed to rising before sunlight, Gerold prepared a modest breakfast while Wulfred spoke to Idunn. Just before dawn, the company left their host’s home and gathered by the tower, arriving before Hartfast and Einar.

As dawn broke, Wulfred questioned them on their skills and past experience, trying to assign roles to each of them for the journey. ’I am a good scout myself, and my brother is skilled with the sword.’ he said, knowledge that his younger sibling had acquired in Dale, if the rumours were to be believed. He looked down on the hobbit, who, with his stories, had earned the stern Woodman’s curiosity, and perhaps even some respect. 'You have travelled far indeed, little hobbit, but these lands are new to you. Still, I welcome your knowledge, and that of your companions.’

[Out of Character (OOC): Please state, other In-Character (IC) or Out of Character (OOC) which of the following roles your character will cover during the journey. There are 4 roles: Guide (relies on Travel), Scout (relies on Explore), Hunter (relies on Hunting) and Look-out (relies on Awareness). Multiple characters can fill each role, except for the Guide (who can only be one character).

So far, Fundor has stated he wants to be Scout. Depending on your preferences, I may pair up Player Characters (PCs) with Non-Player Characters (NPCs) like Hartfast, Einar and Wulfred, so you can have someone to interact with during the journey, if you want.

You can also roll Lore if you haven’t done so already, to gain some bonus dice for the journey.]

As soon as these details were worked out, Wulfred took his leave, saying that he would return soon with his father and brother. ’Idunn wishes to tell you something.’ he said as he left, and Idunn nodded in response, urging the companions to follow her inside the tower.

Those who wished to follow climbed the twisting staircase of the Burg, reaching its top just in time to witness the sun rise behind the Misty Mountains, bringing with its yellow rays the beginning of this first day of their journey. Idunn allowed the companions to admire the beautiful sight in silence.

At length, the sun rose and Idunn broke her silence. ’I have asked for Hartfast's permission to show you something, as you have earned my trust. He has accepted: I think he too, like I, trusts you greatly.’ She nodded at the guard who stood silent nearby, focused on his vigil over the mountains, and he nodded back in understanding, stepping away from the door that led to the top floor of the tower. This room, guarded at all times by a watchman, was the only place where outsiders were barred from entering-one of the few requests made by the Woodmen of Mountain-Hall when partaking in the tradition of hospitality.

Idunn approached, yet she did not open the door, turning instead to her companions. ’You must first promise never to speak of this to anyone outside Mountain-Hall: not even to our kinsmen that live near the forest. If you cannot give me your word, then I cannot let you enter.’

[OOC: This is essentially an RP scene-if you want me to fast-forward, just say the word.]

Fundor follows Idunn inside the Burg. When the Wood-women ask them for absolute secrecy, Fundor wonders what's going on. But he answers "You have my word, Idunn, that I'll never speak outside of what you're gonna show us.

Burnaby realized something significant was happening here, and that he--a mere Hobbit--had been included.

With a hushed voice, he responded to Idunn's statement, "I am honored to have been included in this company. You have my word that I will not speak of what you're about to show us outside of those present here."

Seemingly satisfied with Idunn's approach to the matter of the werewolf, Nori lets the issue rest. He has brought it to their attention and there seems to be a course of action laid in that just requires time. He can be patient - he knows the Woodswoman, above all, is vested significantly in resolving the issue of the werewolf.

The Next Day...

Having stuffed himself with breakfast, ready for the start of their trek, Nori obliges Idunn by following her at her request. Lazily following the group, still sucking at the tasty morsels left on his fingers and in his beard, the man looks up when they've arrived at the doors and Idunn asks for their secrecy. Nodding his head, the dwarf begins to wipe his hands off on his chest as he states, "My lips are..." A low belch makes its way out from the depths of the dwarf, who immediately closes his lips and swallows whatever is left. A second or two pause proceeds the words, "... sealed."

"You have my oath." Simply replied Gramtyng. The Rohirrim had been curious about the tower ever since he'd arrived, but seeing the watchman, considered it rude to even ask - though it took some deliberation. For example, it was possible it was simply a good watchpost - if that was the case, the view from up there should be amazing, and such heights always attracted the Rohirrim, who was used to hunting in the mountains.

Idunn bowed her head slightly towards the watchman, and he unlocked the door and stepped aside, allowing the companions to enter.

At first glance, there was nothing extraordinary about the room the fellowship found itself in, save for a few ladders and some windows. But Idunn directed her companions’ gazes upward, towards the ceiling, which lay about the height of two Men from the floor. From the wooden beams hung two great gilded chains, supporting a mighty blowing horn that extended towards an opening in the roof. ’The Horn of Firienseld: our greatest treasure.’ explained Idunn. ’They say that whoever beholds it will be able to hear its sound anywhere in the Misty Mountains.’

The Woods-woman allowed the companions to examine the wondrous artefact: it was covered in carvings, and seemed as if made from a great bone or tusk of a huge beast. Those who had witnessed Smaug in the skies of Lake-town, or his bones shining beneath the waters of the long lake, could easily believe that the beast must have been as large as he once was. The carvings were many and intricate, differing in style and craftsmanship, as if the horn was decorated by many skilled hands over countless generations. From down below, it was difficult to make out all the details, but Idunn urged the companions to climb the four ladders that were braced against the ceiling-beams to take a closer look.

Those who climbed the ladders could now make out many details in the carvings. Distinct sections of the horn’s surface depicted different stories, and some were made by the skilled crafts of Men, yet others by dwarves, as was clear from runes and writings in different scripts. Most stories had one thing in common: they all depicted battles against dragons of different kinds and sizes, showing many victories and many defeats.

’The Horn records the tales of the peoples who once lived in Wilderland: my ancestors, and perhaps theirs before them. It records their many struggles against the dragons, which must have once been many, in ages past. Over the years, the most skilled craftsmen of Mountain-Hall have also added to the tales our ancestors and their dwarven allies left behind. Look!’ she said, and she pointed to a small section depicting a party of huntsmen venturing into the forest, clearly made in Woodmen style.

Gramtyng

Amongst the many tales depicted in the carvings, Gramtyng finds one that he knows well: the one about the long-worm Scatha, and his battles with the dwarves and the Men that were the ancestors of the Rohirrim. The last scene of these carvings shows Fram, son of Frumgar, slaying the great beast. The quarrels between the dwarves and Men that followed Fram’s victory are not depicted.

Nori & Ghorin

There are many carvings made by dwarven hands on the horn; these seem to be the oldest ones, as some have faded to some extent. Most of those seem to depict mountains, dragons and mail-clad dwarven warriors fighting them. Ancient, secret runes, unreadable to non-dwarves, give the names of the mountains, the dragons, and the most notable dwarves depicted in these the scenes. From these the dwarves can surmise that these carvings depict the many struggles of the dwarves of the Grey Mountains against the dragons that came down from the Withered Heath, plaguing their kingdom and eventually driving them away from their holdings.

[OOC: I’ll need a Lore test from both of you to allow you to piece together more information.]

Ghorin

[OOC: In addition to the information above, Fundor also recognizes the runes for Raenar, a great cold-drake that attacked the Greydelve, the greatest dwarven kingdom in the Grey Mountains, about 350 years ago. According to the stories, King Dain the First and his son, Fror, were slain by Raenar at the doors of their halls, though the great dragon was grievously wounded and disappeared soon after. Despite this pyrrhic victory, the loss of their King convinced the dwarves to migrate away from the Grey Mountains, and they eventually established Erebor and the Iron Hills as safer havens.

The last scene of this particular set of carvings depicts Raenar slumbering inside a cavern. If this carving is to be believed, then Raenar may still be sleeping somewhere in the now abandoned halls of the Grey Mountains. Fundor does not know if the scene contains any useful information about the dragon's whereabouts, but perhaps taking a copy of it to a dwarven scholar, or studying the tomes in the Chamber of Records in Erebor may yield additional useful information.]

As the companions examine the carvings, Idunn produced sheets of paper and pieces of coal, offering them to their companions. ’Use them should you wish to copy some of the carvings.’ she explained. ’As long as you keep the Horn of Firienseld a secret, you have Hartfast’s permission.’ She offered them to Nori and Ingi, both whom she knew to be skilled craftsmen, and explained that they could later transfer the scenes and motifs from the horn into their own works.

The rohirrim's grey eyes betrayed nothing as he climbed closed to the horn's surface, grabbing a piece of paper and charcoal that remained after Ingi and Nori took theirs. This was likely the most serious the company has seen the bard outside of combat - something was making him anxious and almost afraid, as he held up the piece of paper to the horn and begun to gently use the charcoal to take a copy of the carvings on the horn. This... This was what he was looking for - his people's history, in ages back. It was both a painful and proud story, and the bard was not certain how to feel about this particular moment of glory - but even so, it was a part of his ancestral beginnings. "Fram..." He muttered to himself. "Fram the dragonslayer." Yet another victory over the dragons - all too few, in reality. But he, who wished to make songs of the Smaug's fall, had utterly forgotten his motivation as he frantically tried to copy the history that he'd been sent to find out here, in Wilderland. At this time, he was not concerned how Nori or Fundor would react to this particular carving - he was certain dwarves had their own shameful parts of history. Regardless of what happened to Fram after, be it cursed gold or simple human greed, he remained a hero that freed the people of the north of a terrifying menace.

At first look on the Horn, Fundor only sees the men carvings. But then by going around it, his eyes went wide staring at dwarves runes. What a surprise ! Fundor went into this region hoping to find ancien artefacts of his people as he knew that Dwarves had many mansions in the closed mountains. But he didn't think to see that inside Mountain Hall.
Now fundor take the sheets of paper and the coal and starts taking notes. He calls out Nori so that they decrypt the runes together. And as they read the runes and examine the carvings, they learn about the fight of Dwarves against Raenar. Yet as it doesn't tell about Raenar final destiny and Fundor tries to forget nothing in his notes.
Fundor is shaken by this discovery, this was indeed so unexpected.

Then Fundor approaches Idunn "I thank you, Idunn, this Horn is really magnificent. I saw by the Woodmen and dwarves carvings that our peoples were closed a those times. Now i have a request : as I said, I will not speak about that place and that Horn. Never. Still would your people allow me to show my notes to a dwarven scholar ? Of course I wouldn't tell him what's his origin."

Idunn’s attention had been focused on Gramtyng: few were the times she saw him so focused and yet distant, as if entranced by some spell. As the horse-lord climbed the ladder to examine a set of carvings, she remained below, her gaze shifted upwards, trying to make out what it was in those depictions that had caused such a profound effect on the bard of Rohan. There were dragons and mail-clad Men, and even horses and riders, but Idunn knew little about the history and the legends of Rohan, and these stories were nothing more than that to her: tales that blurred the lines between history, myth and fairy-tale.

Now Idunn recalled how she felt when she was allowed to see the Horn for the first time, many years ago, and begun examining it with new eyes, but she was interrupted by Fundor. The dwarf’s voice broke the spell, and she turned to him, reluctant to provide a direct answer. This was, after all, a very delicate matter. At length she spoke, but there was not much she could say.

’It is not my place to decide this.’ she admitted. ’But speak to Hartfast first. He is the chieftain, and the Horn of Firienseld is his responsibility.’

Burnaby looked at the great horn in wonderment. "Idunn, do you suppose there might be anything on the horn depicting my kind? I have heard stories that Hobbits, or Halflings as we are called by some, have lived on this side of the Misty Mountains."