Year 2948: Putting down roots

Vladim

Idunn rose refreshed – it seemed that Radagast’s song had chased away the weariness of the journey, though she was anxious about the debates in the folk-moot. She was about to ask the wizard for breakfast when Gramtyng spoke.

’I do not know how else he can help us,’ admitted Idunn, ’though he would make us the bearer of his messages and scouts of his order. He has already spoken as much as he is willing to say. But perhaps he has changed his mind, now that we have returned Beran alive to him, and thus shown our skill and quality.’

She paused, remembering the wizard’s promise to pen a letter to king Thranduil, and that the task to deliver the letter to the prince was given to Gloriel before she fell to the goblins. Thus she now pondered the unwelcome prospect of explaining what had happened to the elf to her kinsmen, but it was something that had to be done, and the sooner, the better.

’We can hunt the beast alone.’ she finally proclaimed. ’Yet I worry that the werewolf makes its lair somewhere in the woodland realm, or in a land that borders it. We will never be allowed to hunt it without permission from the elvenking. But perhaps Radagast’s letter can sway his mind. Though I tire being the bearer of messages and bringer of grim tidings, this task must be done, and the prince of the elves must also know of Gloriel’s passing.’

’Yet my plan remains the same: I will speak in the folk-moot of this, and see if I can gather some aid. Geirbald’s band would not help me, but perhaps the hunters of Rhosgobel will, and gathering more for the hunt may convince Radagast to aid us further.’

’We must also seek Fridwald the runner, if we can. After Radagast, he knows most about these lands, and he will know if your kinsmen live here, or if these are nothing but fanciful tales.’

With these words, the huntress approached Radagast, seeking to speak to him.

[OOC: I will post something from Radagast later on.]

Radagast was speaking to Cilderic and Fareth when Idunn and Gramtyng approached, but neither the horse-lord not the huntress needed to interrupt the wizard for him to take note of their coming. Turning towards them, he smiled, pausing his conversation with his two scouts, and wished them a good morning.

Idunn thanked the wizard, and asked about Beran’s condition. To her relief, she quickly learned that the scout was making a quick recovery, and that his fever was improving, and was even capable of speaking a few words, though the wizard did not wish any strain upon him.

’I hope that, with rest, he will be well within a week or two. He owes his life to you, and I thank you much for finding him.’ he said with gratitude.

Then Idunn tried to speak again, for though she was glad of the good news, there was much they had not reported about their journey. They had not had the time for it on the night before, as they were late, and Beran’s condition was grave, and thus Radagast’s efforts were put towards treating him, and the wizard had not had the time to speak or listen. But Radagast interrupted her with a wave of his hand.

’My scouts have already told me all that there is to be known. Troubling news indeed, and the elders must hear of it. Cilderic will bring these matters to the moot, before any more Rhosogobel hunters are ambushed, but you should add your own thoughts and voices, and offer your counsel. For though many of you are strangers to these lands, you have earned some renown with your deeds, even though you may not know it yet.’

Then the wizard fell silent, for he did not know how to speak about that which would come next. Troubled and saddened he was by the news of Gloriel’s passing, that Munir the raven had carried long before the fellowship’s return. At length he spoke with a sorrowful voice, wishing to offer some comfort.

’I know full well that Beran’s life was bought dearly, for my raven spoke to me of Gloriel’s fall. Yet you should not brood in sorrow, for she is one of the firstborn, and her spirit carries on in the Halls of Mandos, to the West of this world where her kind dwells. There she lives still, in a land more beautiful than ours, and far away from the reach of the shadow that has fallen upon Mirkwood. So do not despair!’

The wizard smiled at the telling of these words, reassuring them that these were not just tales; or, if tales they were, then Radagast truly believed them.

’I have spared you of the grim task of bringing these ill tidings to Thranduil’s son. I have spoken to him at great length, and I believe that I have managed to convince him to change his mind, and not to travel to Dol Guldur, or not without assembling a greater host. Yet I cannot take full credit for the deed. In the end, it was the words of his lady Glidril that proved the wisest and most crucial.

I think that the tale of Gloriel’s death weighs heavily upon him, and it helped turn his mind. Thus, though her fall was an evil, it may have spared prince Gibrannon and his company from an even greater one. He remains amongst the Woodmen for now, but I have heard that he plans to depart for his father’s realm today. Seek him out if you can: though I have told him what happened and given him my letter, I think he would greatly appreciate hearing your account, and a few kind words about Gloriel.’

The journey back from the Narrows had been an easy one, yet all that had befell the company there weigh heavily on the Lakeman's conscience. His inability to do anything for Beran, despite what he had learnt from Old Mab frustrated him and he was glad of the gruff competence of the woodswoman, for without her intervention he feared that Beran may have perished.

The return of Munir lifted his spirits and yet there was a shadow that could not be completely dispelled regarding his memories of Gloriel. While it was true, Ingi though privately to himself that he had found her character at times not the easiest of companions, the fact that he had initially felt nothing and done nothing at the time of her fall seemed to show him as a lesser member of the party. He tried to show his appreciation for the skills of others by helping as he could in the return journey. Munir seemed sensitive to Ingi`s plight and for the most was content to nestle into his cloak on the journey back, allowing the lakeman to absentmindedly scratch his neck and amuse the raven with the glint from his emerald broach. Thinking of the hollow that Munir had been so obsessed with in the forest he made a mental not to himself to return there is possible to try and discover what the raven had been so desperately trying to communicate.

On returning to Rhosgobel he felt quite overwhelmed at the throng of people especially after the quite of the forest and was glad to slip with the company into the protection of the Wizards hut. The night spent there seemed to sooth him a little, although thoughts of Glorial still played on his mind. Munir however was in his element, obviously happy to be at home among the many shiny treasures of the Wizard.

The next morning, as Idunn discussed what must be done regarding bringing the tiding to the Elven prince, Ingis hand suddenly closed around his broach and on impulse he spoke to the wizard " Im not sure if this would do good or ill but on the way here we found this in the forest. While I am not able to read Elven tongue I can recognize it when I see it... I know not what it is or does but if you think it would bring any comfort to her people... for I feel my part in not protecting her as we should have." pausing to gather breath he added with a resigned smile " though i fear Munir may desert me should I give away his favorite shiny precious". Indeed as the lakeman handed the broach to the wizard Munir came to roost on his shoulder and gave a half throated croak and a questioning look.

Continuing, he addressed the company "I have my commitment to the archery contest, for I should not let down Laketown and for courtesy sake I should find my brother and greet him, but if you let me know of your plans to visit the prince I would be glad of the opportunity to come with you."

Lifstan awakens feeling far more refreshed than he had expected. While his coat of mail had been proof against any number of goblin arrows, each impact had still left a bruise below. But he feels more like he has been relaxing in bed for days rather than recovering from a battle and a run through the Mirkwood.

He excuses himself from the wizard's abode and spends the morning back in the presence of the Dalish delegation, informing them of what had occurred and making up any duties that had gone missed during his absence in the form of looking after the equipment or animals of the senior members...

Despite Munir's protests, wing-flapping, and attempts to seize the jewel with his beak, the Lake-Man was able to hand the emerald brooch to the wizard, who took it carefully and examined it at length. But as Ingi removed it, something strange happened: for though he was able to understand some of the raven's complaints, its bird-speech became more confusing as soon as he removed the pin, and should Ingi wish to regret the offer of giving away the item, he had plenty of time to do so while Radagast looked at it.

After a while, Radagast replied: 'It is precious for some, though jewels and gold are of little value to the Woodmen... But this one may hold some of the ancient mastery of the great jewellers and stone-cutters of the elves and dwarves of old.'

He scratched his head, unable to say more. 'If it is so, then this matter must be handled... carefully. The elvenking is fond of gems, you see... some say too fond of them, and some say he hoards them in his vault. Slanderous tales, of course, but one should be careful... there's no need to risk him suspecting that Men have stolen the treasures of his folk. Our friendship is already fragile.

Better speak little of it, master Ingi... In fact, better say nothing at all! We would not want to upset dear Munir here... and certainly not King Thranduil!'

[OOC: The item grants 2 blessings; one is to Riddle, the other one you are yet to find out. I have taken the liberty of adding this info to your character sheet.]

spacer.pngLord Ewald listened keenly as Lifstan spoke, stroking his long beard and pondering, but saying little. But it was only later, when Lifstan was alone and tending to his duties, that he approached him again, wishing to speak of what the young Barding had said.

'The Narrows are a dangerous place then; much worse than what I feared. I had hoped that the goblin armies had scattered, but now they thrive in Mirkwood, it seems. Grim tidings, but those that deem themselves wise should take heed. I am glad you have returned, alive and well and with such important news.

As for myself, I have been unable to convince Ceawin to listen to reason, and thus I have given up the task. But though he refuses to listen, the Woodmen are wiser, and they may see the merit of my proposal. For Dale is strong, and much safer than this forest. Will you speak of what you saw in your journey, then? It will lend strength to my arguments, and perhaps save many from falling to the dangers of Mirkwood.'

Fundor is dismal and lost in thought. This walk in the forest showed him that the forest is even more dangerous than he feared. He escaped but Gloriel did not, and yet she was in an environment she knew better than him.

When received by Radagast, Fundor remains silent behind his companions. He waits for the wizard and his companions to talk and finish their conversation before advancing towards the old man.

"I was, you know, behind others when I saw her hit and falling to the ground. I didnt know her but she was young and full of life. Now she's gone and surely some elf kin will miss her. But she'll never come back."

Fundor takes Gloriel's backpack and show it to Radagast. "That's all I was able to save of her before running away of death. I feel so sad for her, for her relatives. I promised to send her personal belongings back to her family and friends but I don't know where to go. I simply don't know. She comes from the Wood Kingdom but I don't know his path. Now i'm in front of you, you're considered a wise man as people say here. Maybe you may give me good advice" (then turning back to his companions) "or maybe you can ?"

’Not never. After the end, we shall meet again...' replied Radagast mysteriously, before adding:

'But with time, healing will come. Time heals all ills, and in the end, all grief and suffering can be turned to wisdom and goodness, if there is hope yet.’ These words were spoken in kindness, yet it was unclear whether he was referring to the dwarf’s anguish, or the sorrow of Gloriel’s kin, or perhaps both.

In the saying of these words, Radagast seemed gentle and understanding, but at the same time, some could perhaps say that he cared more for the birds and the trees and the woodland creatures of the forest than the sorrows of Men, Elves or Dwarves. Indeed, even some of the Woodmen from abroad, who dwelled not in Rhosgobel, thought that, and unkind rumours were sometimes whispered, though never to Radagast’s face.

Upon speaking his words, the wizard returned the emerald brooch to Ingi, much to the raven’s relief, and produced a sealed envelope, which he handed to Idunn.

’Go see the elves then, and tell them of what happened, and return your companion’s belongings to them. But give them my message as well. Despite this unfortunate turn of events, still the elvenking should hear of the werewolf.

You will see me again during the moot, so seek me out if you wish to speak to me.’

[OOC: I didn’t see any Persuade check from Fundor, but actually I don’t think one is needed, because Radagast already is in agreement with you.

As long as no-one has anything to add, I shall move us forward to the meeting with the elves. Please post something brief, either IC or OOC, to indicate that you are ready to move on (except Lifstan, who will be interacting with Ewald while the rest of us speak to the elves).

For interacting with the elves, an appropriate skill check (e.g. Courtesy) may be helpful, so feel free to roll it if you want.]

Idunn prepared to take her leave, but paused, hesitating briefly. There were many things she wanted to discuss with Radagast, but now seemed not the right time.

Although the brown wizard had already given her some information about the werewolf, she wished for more, believing that he knew more than he revealed to her. Besides, she had not spoken of her plan yet, which was to learn as much as she could from Uthred, her hound, who had witnessed the werewolf’s attack when he joined Grimborn, her late betrothed, on his last fatal hunt. The folk of Beorn had taught her a little of the speech of hounds in Stonyford, and though she could now understand it better than before, she had not achieved mastery yet: something that was easily within Radagast’s power, for he seemed to speak the tongues of all animals with great ease.

But she had waited for this for years, and thus she could wait for another day. ’We must speak again, master Radagast, after the folk-moot, if you may. But for now, I shall heed your counsel.’ she said, speaking not of that which was locked inside her mind.

Gramtyng nodded wordlessly and followed after Idunn - Radagast held a great many answers, but his questions would be ill-placed right now, when the wizard was dealing with a sick man and a companion had perished. "I will speak to the elves of Gloriel." He agreed, and left, patting Dunir, who perched on his shoulder. Fundor's mood seemed to transfer to the Rohirrim, as he looked around darkly. So much was uncertain in their lives, so many secrets that wold not be revealed. It was strange, to him, that one as wise as Radagast would keep things from them - did he think they would dash off to kill the beast if he just gave them the answers? It would be foolish. For now... For now, he would go and speak with the elves, and tell them of Gloriel's bravery and cheer.

Ingi took the broach back from the wizard with a bow and with gratitude. It had not occurred to him that actions with the best intentions may have adverse consequence and he was reminded of the critique often made of him by his brother Too impulsive with too little wits.... Ingi pinned the gem safely hidden into the underside of his cloak, heeding warnings regarding the Elvenkings penchant for such objects. As he did so he felt a certain relief at being able to keep the gem in his keeping in clear conscience.

The only one more relived than Ingi at the gems return seemed to be Munir, who on observing the gem being pinned into place, quickly chased the gem into the the material, nestling into the folds of Ingis cloak. Remembering Munir habit of claiming all that may be shiny for himself (not to mention his newer game of stealing the hairs off the back of Uthred while he was sleeping, something that did not endear the bird to the hound) he turned to Radgast and said with some embarrassment and a half smile "do you think that you could instruct Munir in the need for politeness at least with the elves... I do not yet understand his speech well but I worry, if the elven king is of a suspicious mind, Munirs disregard for the idea of individual property may bode ill for the success of our meeting..." and then added shyly to both the wizard and the fellowship "As we bring ill tidings and from what I have heard and what we have been told us I fear we may need to be at our most persuasive in order for the Elves to listen to the rest of our message and consider allowing further meddling in outside affairs."

’Munir will behave.’ retorted the wizard, looking at Ingi first and then fixing his gaze at the raven. Munir immediately stopped harassing the Lake-Man for the gem, as if embarrassed, and climbed on the head of his companion, before seeking a hiding-place behind Ingi’s back.

’Good luck!’ Radagast said to the companions, instead of bidding them farewell, for they had a sense that this would not be the last time they would meet with the brown wizard.

All but Lifstan sought out the elves after that, as the Barding had business with his folk, and had not spoken to the wizard on that morning, but was currently discussing with the leader of his delegation.

It was easy enough to find the elves’ tent; less so to avoid the gazes and whispers of curious Woodmen onlookers, whose number seemed to grow from the previous evening. As the company approached the fair folk, a deathly silence fell amongst the fellowship of wood-elves, and it was clear that they remembered who they were, and had heard of what had happened. Nonetheless, they directed the company inside the tent, where prince Gibrannon and his lady awaited.

Gramtyng, son of Fastred, was the first one to step forth, but before he could open his mouth, a tall elf, fair but haughty, spoke bitter words: ’It is only fitting that you would come here with black and grim carrion-birds to deliver the news of our companion’s passing, emissaries of Aiwendil.’

No sooner had he finished speaking these words when the prince interrupted him, preventing them from saying more. ’Let them speak!’ he said to his wayward kin in a loud and commanding voice, and the bitter elf obeyed.

Then Ingi stepped forth, and he gave a detailed account of the events that had unravelled, and all about him listened keenly, for they were eager to learn the details of Gloriel’s fall, and also to hear more of the dangers that lurked within the forest, things that Radagast had not explained to lord Gibrannon.

At length the Lake-Man finished his account, and silence once again filled the air. Then Gibrannon spoke again: ’I believe that you speak the truth, and I thank you for coming here and telling this tale, however bitter, for it is not an easy thing to do. And I trust that you did all you could to help Gloriel, but the forest-goblins were too many.’

Then Glidril, the prince’s lady, turned to Fundor, seeing that the dwarf still bore the burden of Gloriel’s belongings, and spoke to him.

’I recognized Gloriel’s mandolin as soon as I saw it, and by its sight I knew that her spirit has flown to the West, for she would never part with it willingly. Though she was young, I remember how her music filled Thranduil’s halls and made the feasts merry. I shall see to it that it is returned to her folk.’ she said, as one of her followers stepped forth to take the items. ’Perhaps you can honour her memory with a song of your own,’ she added, ’as I see that you too are a minstrel, and carry the harp of your folk. A rare and precious parting gift it would make, for few of our kin have ever been thus remembered in the tongue and memory of Durin’s folk.’

There was nothing left to do but to give prince Gibrannon Radagast’s letter, which Idunn did readily, and say farewell to the elves.

[OOC: I believe that Gram will seek out Fridwald next to ask about the Leofrings (Idunn will follow him); Ingi will seek out his brother; Lifstan will continue discussing with Ewald, and as for Fundor, he can seek out the dwarves and Hartfast. So I will update the game later, but feel free to interact with the elves too, if you want.]

After speaking to the elves, the paths of the companions were separated for a while, with each of them seeking different folk and different things in the busy gathering of the Woodmen.

Gramtyng and Idunn

Following Radagast’s suggestion, Gramtyng sought Fridwald of Woodmen-town, who seemed to know the lands of the Woodmen and those beyond better than anyone of his people. With Gramtyng came Idunn, who knew Fridwald, for he had come to Firienseld on a few occasions, when she was young.

It took some searching, but the huntress was eventually able to track down Fridwald. He sat in the common room of Rhosgobel’s great hall next to a child; a boy of ten that he seemed intent on schooling. Idunn pointed the old man out: he looked wiry, yet still hale and hardy, though to those who knew him not, he looked much passed beyond his prime, and such folk would be surprised to hear that Fridwald was the chief messenger of the Woodmen.

spacer.pngThen Idunn approached, and introduced both Gramtyng and herself, for she was not certain if Fridwald remembered her. But Fridwald would not let her speak:

’I know full well who you are, Idunn daughter of Theodwin, as I know your companion, Gramtyng of Rohan. Knowing the folk and the tidings of these lands is my business, after all. Come, sit.’ he said, extending a friendly hand towards both of them. ’This is my nephew, Munderic.’ he added, elbowing the boy, who seemed only interested in eating as much of the food was on the table, as quickly he could.

The child looked up, and eyed the newcomers suspiciously, though he had previously been oblivious to their arrival. He fixed his gaze at Belgo, Gramtyng’s squire, for Belgo was only a few years older than Munderic, and Munderic was clearly reluctant to share. But his poor manners were noticed by his uncle, and they were swiftly rewarded with a slap across the back of the head.

Ingi

Finding Finn, son of Isolf, was not difficult: he remained where he had set up camp, not far from the rest of the emissaries of Dale, who had followed lord Ewald to Rhosgobel. Though Ewald was busy speaking to Lifstan, Finn was not, and he welcomed his younger brother back to the village.

spacer.png’Ingi!’ he cried upon seeing him approach, ’my brother, you are harder to get hold of than King Bard!’ He patted his brother on the shoulder in a friendly, jovial manner, and invited him inside his tent, where the promise of good wine from Dorwinion could be fulfilled. As he poured Ingi a glass, he chatted happily, glad to see that no danger had come upon him:

’I sought you days ago, but before I could find you, you were gone again, away on some mission from the Brown Wizard, or so I heard. And then I also heard that you spoke to Ceowin of the East Bight… You are making friends quickly! Many other rumours have I heard; the Woodmen say you ventured into the forest and came upon some danger, but I am glad to see you that you are well.

In any case, idle rumours are not to be trusted: I want to hear it from you. Come, tell me everything!’ he concluded, as he handed Ingi a generous glass of red wine.

Fundor

spacer.pngWhen Fundor found Bofri, the latter was hungry for news from the expedition, and sat by him for long, hearing the recounting of his tale. Yet what was said did not daunt him, and Fundor’s words did not sway his mind; instead, they strengthened Bofri’s resolve to reclaim the old forest road from the goblins and spiders of the forest.

Then Bofri’s turn came to speak, and he explained to Fundor that much had happened during his absence. Indeed, Bofri had been hard at work, and had sought out and spoken to the leaders of the Woodmen, who were supportive of his plans. As for Hartfast, he was eager to lend his aid and support, but he also wished for dwarves from Erebor, craft-masters and miners, to expand the mines of Mountain-Hall. Thus Bofri seemed to reach an agreement with the chieftain, and promised to send more of his folk to Firienseld in exchange for Hartfast’s support in the task of reclaiming the old road.

[At Elves tent]

Fundor advances towards Glidril, he hands him the affairs of Gloriel. "Please give them back to her family, I promised her."

When Fundor hears her proposal, he's really surprised : Elves aren't known to be fond of dwarven music and lyrics. But then he understands that her proposal is the most honorable request. He takes his own harp, quickly checks that the cords are fine and starts playing with a few words. The music is slow at first and speaks of lost youngness, of falling leaves and sorrow. But then his fingers goes faster on the cords and low notes are replaced by higher notes. Fundor words now speak of Gloriel joy of life and of the Caverns of Mandos that are now filled of Gloriel's joyous music.

Then his music and words stop, Fundor looks at the Elves and tell them "I think Gloriel would like you to remind more of her joy than of her death. This is what my song was trying to say. Now if you allow me, i'll leave".

[At Bofri's tent]

After listining to Bofri's words, Fundor tells him that he's glad that he was able to speak to the Woodmen and get their support. "So it seems that you don't need me anymore for convincing Hartfast, I'm sorry that I didn't find the time earlier to keep my promise. Still if needed, you may ask me. In that forest, i've seen so dark things and I hope that they disapear for ever. If the old Dwarf road was restored, then those dark creatures would have to retreat or die under ou kin people axes mattocks !"