Year 2948: Putting down roots

Vladim

After sharing a glass (or two) of wine with Finn following his loss in the archery contest, Ingi found himself gravitating, as did all others to the discussions taking place. Positioning himself near the Brown Wizard he watched with fascination the tricks and communications that were so entertaining the children. Munir also seemed to enjoy taking part although if the minute chaos being caused by Munir was scripted by the wizard or really a disruption of the birds own making, Ingi was unable to tell.

In listening to the arguments Ingi became acutely aware that he did not fully understand the intricacies of the politics of the woodman settlements. Perhaps his senses were both heightened and dulled by the wine for during the speeches of Idunn and Gramytyng he became aware of the full passion that his companion had for their task and yet he found himself unable to publicly speak in their support. Finn seemed to try and reinforce this for during the interval that would have been Ingis to speak or sbow support his brother laid a heavy hand on his shoulder, as if to communicate these are not our affairs.

However Ingi resolved within himself to talk to Idun and Gramtyng when the next opportunity presented itself to learn more of their plan, and to offer his aid.

A great commotion begun building up as Gramtyng spoke his words. Clearly, his words struck a chord with some, yet others found them too harsh, or too foolish. Hunting the beast with the intention to slay it was one thing; capturing it alive seemed a feat beyond all imagination. But perhaps the most profound response was that of Idunn, for she was his companion, and she thought he knew him well, but of this plan she had heard nothing, not had they discussed anything like this before. She was silent, yet she cast a gaze on Gramtyng, and it clearly revealed much of how she felt about this turn of events.

But Aldgrim would not let Gramtyng’s words fly without having the final say. His opinion seemed unpopular before, but now he felt like he could rally the Woodmen to him by highlighting the outlander’s lack of courtesy.

’Such words I expected from a hunter-for-hire like Evoric, who cares not for our ways, but only for gold. But you are no mercenary, but our honoured guest in these lands, and I expected you to treat us with better respect. But in these years, where no respect is afforded to our elders even by some of our own; I should expect to receive none from an outlander. No matter. Respect or not, my words are true. You are foolish to think that you can capture this beast alive, you who know nothing about hunting in Mirkwood.’

Now the crowd murmured as the argument grew more bitter, and Ingomer was ready to interfere when Idunn spoke. For though she was speechless, she did not wish to see her companion thus shamed. ’He means well, elder.’ she said, but her meek response was dismissed by the old man.

Mechanics

As we discussed briefly over Discord, I don’t think Gramtyng’s proposal merits a Corruption check… yet, as it is still an idea, and he has not acted upon it. But if you feel like it does, feel free to make a Corruption check against TN14, with failure granting a Shadow point.

I do think though that Gram’s harsh words and the way Aldgrim is spinning them merit some kind of response to the elder; if he does not give any, he will be perceived as rude by some of the Woodmen, as there are still those that respect Aldgrim. In game terms, future social skill checks in the moot will have their difficulty level raised by 1 level (e.g TN 14 --> 16) unless Gram provides some response (e.g. with Courtesy or another social skill) to justify his perceived rudeness. If he keeps attacking the elder, this check will be vs. TN 16 (otherwise, it’s TN 14). As before, good role-playing will be rewarded mechanically. Other companions can also jump in to do this!

None of this should be interpreted as punishment; I actually enjoy this level of conflict, and it is great for characterization and development!

"In our dwarves kingdoms, we are learn to listen to our elders. They are the roots that bring forth the sap of the past, the wisdom of the generations that preceded us. But when we are far from old ears, we are also told that sometimes we need to stop listening their advices and follow our instinct. During our wars against Goblins, some of our most brilliant victories were part of a risky decision that our sages disapproved of. But at other times, their wisdom saved us."

Looking at Aldgrim :
"You disapproove what's going on, I understand that you try to protect your people and for that you have all my respect. You might be right and maybe we'll all be soon killed by the werewolf. But you might be wrong also, who knows ? But even if this hope is low, still it exists and do you really think that your People destiny is to live under the constant threat of the werewolf ? Don't you think that your people deserve better than that ? As said Gramtyng, the Dragon was slayed while nobody would have bet a coin for it, Dol Guldur has been cleansed from his foul creatures. Why can't we dream of getting rid of the werewolf ? Please, don't be offended by my camrades sharp words, they come from their emotions and their desire to help your people."

Fundor walks closer to Aldgrim and talks slowlier "We shouldn't be angry at each other, we should unite our strenght in order to help the Woodmen. Please assist us with your knowledge, tell us all what you know of that beast. Legends, songs, stories, all that can be helpful for us to understand its ways, what it likes and dislikes, how it hunts and fights, what it eats, its habits ... Any detail from old encounter that your memory may remind could be useful for us, any detail could help us coming back alive and get rid of it."

Fundor looks at the Elder and at his companions :
"Wisdom of elders, strenght of yougers, for the sake of the people of these lands"

Gramtyng half-turned to Idunn and gave her a confused look at the words 'means well'. The man was either a cunning backstabber or... No. It was almost certainly he was just an old fool. The haughty tone, the manner at which he expected to be obeyed... he was just like those people back in Edoras, who expected their age to give them a free pass everywhere - including war councils. "Thank you, Idunn and Ghorin... But instead of apologizing, I'd like to explain what I meant - as I meant every word... But now I see some of my words were based on assumptions." He turned to Aldgrim, giving him a glare. "Old age does not respect warrant, Elder. It must be deserved. My first assumption was that you kept information from the Woodmen - of the Werewolf's immortality - to achieve something... political. I will apologize for that, as it doesnt seem that was your motive. Your immediate jab at my 'leadership', however, made it a very easy assumption to make - so that's entirely on you." He shook his head and walked up to Aldgrim with his arms crossed, staring at him evenly:

"You first call me foreigner to point out my inability to accomplish anything, then call me 'honored guest'. Please pick one. And whichever it is, whatever you choose... Kindly do me the favor of NOT insulting my friend." The bard walked back to his spot and leaned against one of the columns supporting the Hall, arms still crossed: "I know nothing of Mirkwood? I may not have been through it as many times as some of present company, but I've traveled through it several times. When I grew up, I had two roads open to me; one of them was a hunter. So I assure you, Elder Aldgrim, I have spent plenty of time hunting in the enchanted woods of Fangorn. I know what it involves." He nodded thoughtfully: "As for you saying it is foolish to think we can capture this thing, you yourself said it cannot die. What else would you have us do, then? Let the folk cover inside the walls of their settlements and let this thing kill whenever it pleases? It wont happen. My hunting methods -are- different, though, you're right there - I hope they will give a different perspective to other hunters who will be joining us. I have never asked to lead, nor is it my place to."

Gramtyng sighed, scratching at the back of his head: "Its not like I dont have anything to contribute. If we need to know about this monster... There is a place to the south of here, which I doubt many could tell you of. They are called the Hills of Seeing and Hearing, and they let someone see or hear something... very important to them. I will explain if people are interested. It is not without risk." He recalled what happened to Aldor and grimaced.

Fundor’s words were heeded carefully by the gathering, for the Woodmen were keen on hearing what Bofri and all of his kin had to say, and were deeply interested in re-opening the old forest road, for it would benefit them greatly. Many saw wisdom in what he said, and thus those amongst the Woodmen that were impulsive, or wary of strangers, or tired of the elders’ inaction, fell silent for a while and listened.

At the same time, the prospect of building a village by the Black Tarn was met with enthusiasm. Many amongst those gathered knew of the river-maidens, and some thought them to be great protectors of the Woodsmen, in much the same way that Radagast was the guardian of Rhosgobel. And even those amongst them that did not share such a sentiment at the very least respected Amaleoda and wished her well in her endeavour.

Yet Aldgrim would not wish for Gramtyng to have the final say, and after the later spoke, he readied himself to take the stand yet again... only to be interrupted by Ingomer. For he wished to keep the discussion from escalating even further, and thus he stepped forth and spoke to Gramtyng.

spacer.png’You are a guest in these lands, and you will be listened to, and treated fairly. But there are those amongst us that are suspicious of outsiders... though I do not think that such suspicion is merited.'

He gave a harsh look to Aldgrim, who, out of respect for Ingomer, remained silent. 'The moot will hear what you have to say, Gramtyng of Rohan, but let us put this quarrel aside, at least for now. It is going nowhere, and there are more important matters to discuss.'

He turned to the crowd and proclaimed thusly: 'We have heard both sides of the argument. I for one agree that before master Bofri undertakes his endeavour, the forest must be patrolled, and all the spawn of Dol Guldur hunted down. But master Fundor is right: we must undertake this task together.

Still, we are all free folk here, and have no kings or lords in our lands. Thus everyone here can choose their own path. Those who wish to follow Bofri and Idunn may do so freely.’

By this point, the crowd sided with Bofri and Gramtyng and the fellowship, for Ingomer was greatly respected, much more so than Aldgrim. Thus Aldgrim remained silent, though he seemed not to have changed his mind. But Ingomer continued, as there were other matters to deal with.

’Two that are not of our own people also seek to address the assembly. Though they are not Woodmen, they are kin from afar, and I ask you to listen to them as you would to honoured guests, and judge what they have to say for yourselves. Come forth, Ceawin of the Sunstead and Lord Ewald of Dale. Let us settle this matter for good.’

spacer.pngCeawin spoke first, after he had climbed the platform to address the gathering. He started by speaking to Hartfast and his folk, for Mountain-Hall lay furthest from his settlement.

’For those that do not know me,’ he said, ’my people dwell in the East Bight of Mirkwood. Many centuries ago, it was the home of my ancestors and yours, the Northmen that governed these lands. Thus I count you as my kin, for we are of the same line.

Many are the virtues of the East Bight, and to those that wish to see them with their own eyes, I invite them to come freely there, where I can return such hospitality as was shown to me here. Our lands are fertile, and close to the rich kingdoms of Dale and Dorwinion. We have many that live there and follow us, and we have a sturdy longhouse in the heart of the Sunstead.

But the forest is thin near the East-Bight, and our folk are farmers, not hunters. Unlike you, we are not forest-folk. We know little of Mirkwood, and we fear its dangers. Yet against such fear I journeyed here, to seek your counsel and your aid. We wish to be counted amongst your folk. We wish to learn how to survive in the forest, so that our ties can be strengthened. In return, we offer friendship and wealth, and an alliance as strong as our ancestors once had.’

As Ceawin stepped down, many Woodmen whispered in favour of his proposal, for he had proven his kindness and generosity while in Rhosgobel. But Lord Ewald of Dale also commanded great respect, and as he spoke, everyone fell silent again, curious to hear what the old knight had to say.

spacer.png’Lord Ceawin speaks well, and he means well, too. This I never doubted, though we have had many disagreements in the past.’ he said. He scratched his beard. ’His heart is in the right place, and he wishes good fortune for both his people and yours. But I have a different proposal, one that, I hope, you will judge to be the wiser.

Our shared ancestry I do not question. What lord Ceawin says is true. We were kin once, and we are kin still: Woodmen and Dalish, Beornings and Lake-Men. But our kingdoms are broken now. We do not rule over the whole of the forest any more, even now that the tyrant of Dol Guldur has been defeated. And the Woodmen know better than anyone else that Mirkwood is still a dangerous place. The Narrows even more so, for they are treacherous, trackless, foul lands. And though Ceawin’s folk are growing in numbers, it will take decades to cut safe paths through these woods, and many will perish until then.

But there are other lands, as fertile as the East Bight, if not more so, and better located. I speak of course of the lands about the Lonely Mountain. For though it will take many years to transform the desolation of Smaug into the farmlands they once were, this is a task that the people of Dale have begun, and it is done with the support of not only Dale, but also Lake-Town and Erebor. Even some of your own folk have helped us in this task, and in exchange, they have received land, and our king’s protection.

Long had I hoped to convince Ceawin to see the wisdom of my offer. The East Bight is his land, and the land of his ancestors. But it is not a safe land. I do not hope to convince him any longer, but perhaps the wisdom of the Woodmen will sway his mind. That is why I urge your elders to give Ceawin good counsel. My offer will stand for as long as necessary, and in this his and yours will have the friendship of Dale, no matter what you decide.’

Gramtyng

Insight's a great success because of Old Songs right?

In that case, the success reveals that the crowd is more favourable towards Ceawin rather than Ewald, as he has proved his generosity, and after all, they want to see the Woodmen settlements grow. In game terms, the 'debate meter' is at +2 in favour of Ceawin. It can be shifted even further towards Ceawin's side (up to +6) by arguing for him, and that will impact the support he gets from the Woodmen (the higher the number, the more he gets). Alternatively, you can argue for Ewald to reduce Ceawin's support and add to his. Successes count for 1, Great for 2, Extraordinary for 3. Good RP will be rewarded too.

Example: Lifstan wants to argue for Ewald. He makes a good argument (extraordinary success; +3) with good RP (+1), for a total of 4 points: He removes Ceawin's +2 support, and he adds +2 to lord Ewald's, shifting the opinion of the crowd towards Ewald.

Because your Insight was a Great success, you also get a hint for what will be a convincing argument. Let me know who Gram wants to argue for, and I'll give you a hint in Discord or OOC.

Mechanics

This is a debate between Ceawin and Ewald that will determine what happens to the East Bight and the Sunstead (and its people). Your characters can contribute in many ways:
_An Insight check can be made to gauge the disposition of the Woodmen. Great / Extraordinary Successes will, in addition, provide arguments that are most likely to shift the crowd’s opinion.
_Arguments can be made for either side, and the results may affect the outcome. Use skills for social encounters (e.g. Persuade, Inspire, Awe, Riddle, Courtesy, Song even). Role-play bonuses may apply, as before.
_As additional NPCs make their own arguments, the PCs can made counter-arguments to counter their rhetoric.
I will be tracking successes on either side of the debate; the Insight check should inform the player how many are needed to sway the argument on either direction.

Fundor looked at both Lords Ceawin and Ewald and say "I cannot interfere in your proposals and give any advice of what's the best for Lord Ceawin's people. But one thing for sure is that having Woodmen allies on the far east of Mirkwood would be a great advantage in our seek and fights againts the werewolf. In that case and if we are able to reopen the dwarf forest road and keep it guarded, only the south would be opened to the beast and we could more easily hunt it down. "

"It might be dangerous... But it is their land." Spoke up the Rohirrim. When Ewald and Ceawin said their peace, he had to consider his words carefully before he said what he did - but it really couldnt be summed up as anything else. Would he have preferred to settle on his own land, or someone else's? Of course it would be his own. Even if his concept of 'home' was currently a bit foggy, it didnt mean a thing. "Besides... it might be dangerous, but there's other Woodmen settlements in the area, and they can send help if anything happens. Just like how the Desolation can be cleared away, pathways and roads can be made even through Mirkwood to connect the settlements. A united front is a powerful thing, and perhaps exactly because its dangerous, the settlement is needed here, to increase the strength of Wilderland."

’Perhaps, as you say, paths and roads will be made some day.’ Lifstan said. He had remained silent thus far, but now he spoke in favour of lord Ewald’s proposal. Turning to Ingomer first, and then Ceawin, he continued: ‘But that day will be long in the coming. Too long, I fear, for many of your folk.’

As he said those ominous words, he entered the centre of the gathering, proclaiming his name and his noble lineage: ’I am Lifstan, son of Elstan, the first captain of Dale, and I too have travelled through the Narrows, but a few days ago.’

He cast his eyes upon the horse-lord for a moment, before continuing: ’But though I travelled with Gramtyng of Rohan, and though we both saw the same things, clearly we have reached different conclusions. Let me tell you of what we saw, so that you can draw your own.

For days we travelled in the dark, oppressing shadow of Mirkwood, encountering many hardships, but no resistance. Deeper and deeper we were lured, until we were ambushed by great numbers of goblins, who set cunning traps for us. One of our own fell in the fight; she did not make it back alive, though she was one of the firstborn, and mighty with the bow.

But that was not all of it. The goblins were cunning foes, and they tried to drive us towards a great spider’s lair. Greater was her web than any I have ever seen, and woven with many spells, and many were her victims, hanging from the trees, that had been turned into web-infested gallows.

These things we all saw. The Brown Wizard’s scouts can attest to this. Come, Cilderic, and speak your mind.’

Reluctantly, the Woodman stood up, and slowly approached the gathering. He was loathe to interfere in these matters, but at the same time, he was bound by honour to speak the truth.

He shook his head grimly. ’It is true.’ he said quietly, and for a moment, a shadow of doubt crept in the minds of the Woodmen, and their confidence in Ceawin’s proposal was shaken, despite Gramtyng’s inspiring words.

Mechanics

Support for Ceawin’s proposal is increased by Gramtyng’s speech (+3), but decreased by Lifstan’s (-2), bringing the total support to +2+3-2=+3.

’Master Gramtyng is right!’ said Ceawin, who felt that for a brief moment the attitude of the crowd had shifted, for some saw merit in Lifstan’s argument, and others were unnerved by his report. ’Many horrors may yet dwell in the forest, but they will not be driven out without action. And if they are allowed to grow unchecked, they will soon fall upon your towns. Woodmen-town and Black Tarn Hall lie deeper within the forest, and they would be prime targets for the goblins and spiders.’

’And what does the wizard say of your proposal, lord Ceawin? For I have spoken to Cilderic during our journey, and he has admitted that master Radagast thinks ill of it. Long has he warned you against settling in the East Bight, for though your claim may be legitimate, it is too dangerous a land for Men. I hear that restless spirits haunt those lands, for many Northmen found violent deaths in the dungeons of Dol Guldur before the Necromancer was vanquished. Why do you throw away the counsel of one of the Wise so foolishly?’

’You are new to these lands,’ said Cilderic to Lifstan, unable to conceal some irritation, ’and you neither know nor understand our customs fully. Master Radagast is an honoured guest, yet he does not interfere in the affairs of Men. The decision is for us and our elders to make. Do not insist on this matter!’

’Strange are your customs then, to have such a valued counsellor and to not heed his words.’ said Lifstan, reluctant to concede the argument, and frustrated by what he perceived to be the foolishness of Ceawin. But before he could utter another word, his lord spoke, pleading with the counsil.

’Forgive Lifstan’s eagerness.’ said Ewald. ’He is young, and impatient, but his arguments are worth hearing. Please, lord Ceawin, and elders of the Woodmen,’ he said, ’this matter is too important to dismiss the Brown Wizard’s good counsel. Will you not make an exception, and allow master Radagast to speak?’

At lord Ewald’s request, the elders of the Woodmen discussed quietly for a while, and at length Ingomer returned to him with their verdict, nodding and bidding Cilderic to go summon the wizard so that he could give his counsel.

Reluctantly, Cilderic did as he was told. But if Cilderic was reluctant, Radagast was doubly so, if not more, and it was not easy to convince him to join the moot, for he did not like to meddle in the affairs of all those chieftains and elders and war-leaders. Therefore, it took much time and much needling to get Radagast to come forth and speak. In the meanwhile, the men of Dale and those of the Sunstead did not remain idle.

spacer.pngspacer.pngTheomund the silent was the first to take the stand. He was a grim man with a great beard, and was one of the Woodmen of Mountain-Hall, though by now he counted himself as one of the men of Dale. It had been about two years ago, by this point, that he had taken the journey from Firienseld to Esgaroth, and then to Dale, with Gramtyng and Idunn, when the latter two had been tasked by Hartfast to seek the aid of dwarves in these eastern lands, and had returned with Nori and Borin. But Theomund and a few of his kin had not returned with them; they were given good land by king Bard, and in the months that followed they tilled the earth and helped rebuild the city of Dale, and were rewarded with land of their own.

Theomund spoke to his fellow Woodmen about the fertile lands around Dale, and about king Bard’s kindness, and about the growing strength of Erebor and Dale and Esgaroth. Many heeded his words, for they had only heard of tales and rumours, and yearned to hear a first-hand account from one of their own. Still others viewed him now as someone seduced by the gold and power of the Northern Kingdoms, and there were a few that thought him a turncoat or traitor – though these were only a handful. He had not Lord Ewald’s mastery of speech-craft, but he spoke plainly, as the Woodmen spoke, and some thought his words wise.

Yet Ceawin would not concede the argument so easily. Swiftly he countered Theomund’s words with his own, saying that, though the lands about Dale were fertile, still the curse of the dragon lay about them. And, after all, Theomund had not seen *his* lands. The soil under the East Bight was just as good, if not better, and it was unwise to dismiss it thusly without seeing it. In this vein, the two men went on, arguing back and forth, rebuffing each other’s words, and trying to sway the Woodmen, before they were interrupted by the wizard’s coming.

’You seek my counsel, then?’ said the wizard, leaning wearily on his staff, his voice tired but gruff. Though announced, his arrival was unexpected: by this point, the Woodmen had thought that the wizard would refuse to come, and besides, the argument of Theomund and Ceawin had captured their attention so fully that they had failed to notice Radagast’s approach. The wizard turned to Cilderic and Banna and Fareth, who were his scouts, and scolded them: ’My counsel is not to go about carelessly speaking of what was trusted to you only, with those that have no understanding of such matters!’ Upon hearing those words, Cilderic lowered his head, though Banna was ready to retort, and she would have had, had Radagast not continued speaking.

Pointing a finger to Ceawin, he said: ’I have warned you to stay away from the Narrows. The woods are not safe there; not yet. But you refuse to be patient. It is your choice to make, though, and if neither danger nor counsel will sway your mind, then there is nothing to be done. But I trust that your folk know of lord Ewald’s offer and can decide for themselves… or have you not told them of it?’

Chapter 6: Riders clad in orc-mail

spacer.pngBefore Ceawin had a chance to speak, a large raven swooped in from a nearby tree, flapping its feathers noisily, and landed on the wizard’s shoulder, and proceeded to caw loudly and frantically. ’Danger is afoot!’ said the wizard, and before he could finish these words, the sounds of hunting-horns echoed from the woods, accompanied by the noise of horse-hoofs, not too far away.

Quickly, the Woodmen grabbed what arms were about and headed towards the Hedge-Gate, the only entrance to the village of Rhosgobel, expecting orcs or worse enemies. They gathered just outside the hay; there they waited for a few minutes, their elders by their side, with bated breath.

At length, a dozen riders emerged from the trees. They were clad in black mail, in the fashion of the orcs that once plagued these lands, but it only appeared similar in style, for it was well-maintained and not as crude as orc-mail. They wore helmets of black steel that covered their faces, ornamented with horns and feathers and plumes of horse-hair, and their weapons, swords and axes and spears, seemed well-made and well-used. At their head rode a tall figure, more imposing than the rest.

The riders halted two dozen yards away from the gathered Woodmen. For a few moments, they remained still, observing the folk of Rhosgobel as if sizing them up. Despite their small numbers, they were well-armed, and seemed not to falter, but they drew no sword and cast no spear. Instead they dismounted and approached, the tall dread figure taking the lead.

spacer.pngspacer.png’Only Woodmen and their friends are welcome here!’ said Ingomer, who was the only one amongst the elders that had shown no indication of fear. But despite his courage, his words had little effect on the stranger. Still he walked forward, not drawing his blade. After a few steps he stood still, and removed his helmet, revealing the face of a young man, seemingly of Woodmen stock.

'But I am a Woodman, by blood and birth. Don’t you recognise me? You called me Ingold, your son, though men now call me Mogdred.'

At these words, Ingomer was visibly shaken, and he had nothing to say to this Mogdred. But Mogdred had much to say to the crowd, and he turned to face them and speak to them, for he had come here to parley, and not to shed their blood.

spacer.pngspacer.png“For many years, I was a slave in the dungeons of the Necromancer! Now I am lord of the place you call the Tyrant’s Hill, and I command many men.” He raised his arm, pointing towards Amaleoda. “You and yours would be long dead if it were not for our protection. Darkness returns to the forest, had you but eyes to see it. There are Orcs in Fenbridge, and shadows stir in Dol Guldur.”

A warrior amongst the Woodmen, a man called Frideger the old, grim and gray, was the first to answer him. ’Why do you come here, stranger?’ he called, challenging his claim.

Mogdred responded with scorn: “A seat in the councils of the Woodmen, tribute from the Black Tarn, wives for my warriors, gold from the mountains. That stranger -” he said, pointing at Ceawin, “offered you trinkets and sweetcakes. My gifts are of a more practical sort.”

Two of his followers then stepped forth, each carrying a great sack. They opened them and up-ended them: dozens of orc-heads tumbled from them, some rolling a great distance and finding their way to the Woodmen’s feet. Mogdred looked at those gathered arrogantly, awaiting their response.

Mechanics

This counts as an end of a session, and the beginning of the last one. Therefore, the Fellowship Pool is replenished. Ghorin, who was the only one not to use a fellowship point, can replenish one of Fundor's Hope points.

Also, those with a fellowship focus that did not get poisoned / wounded / killed / miserable / imprisoned can recover one point of Hope. Traits are refreshed as well, and can be used for auto-successes / lowering TNs.

The scene with Mogdred is very important in the narrative, as it will determine much about what happens to many Woodmen Settlements in the future. Please feel free to use your characters to speak, and make rolls to try to achieve anything you want. I'll post some more from the NPC side later, also, but if there's not much interest in this kind of politics, I'll probably just hand-wave it and move on.

Gramtyng glared at Lifstan, finding his words to be arrogant and more, but others were quick to silence him. Dangerous? Mirkwood was? Of course it was dangerous. Living so close to the Desolation, however, that wasnt dangerous at all? Was there absolutely no mark the dragon left with his passing, no curses left unchecked, no dark beasts left? When something sounded too good to be true, it usually was. Theomund's words were much less irritating - it was just a witness report. Still... Gramtyng felt that moving the woodmen from here to Dale was a bad idea, even if this was going to be harsher. The less of them there were here, the harder it would be to defend their settlements from Mirkwood's reach, whereas Dale only seemed to care about filling their coffers. He was about to offer some choice advise to Lifstan about the values of gold against safety, but was interrupted by the coming of Radagast and the following hunting horns.

This man, Mogdred, had impressed Gramtyng even less than Lifstan. As strange as it might have been seen coming from Gramtyng, he thought this... boy - clearly not a man, judging by the way he acted - needed to first be taught respect. "Orc heads?" Gramtyng raised an eyebrow. "And what are we to do with these? You cant eat them, or use them in any way. They are about as impractical as gifts come, unless you've got an odd taste in interior decorating. But you say you've many men who can ride with you?" He half-turned to the others, raising his voice a bit: "Isnt this the missing piece of the puzzle? Master Ceawin has a land that needs some military assistance. The Woodmen earn more allies that can be used to patrol and make roads and pathways safer. And this man is related to Master Ingomer... So the other terms can be discussed, no?"

’I’ve offered my terms already, stranger.’ retorted Mogdred bluntly. ’If your folk are unwilling to grant me what I seek, then I will seek it elsewhere. But heed my words, and heed them carefully: If you’re not my friends, then you’re my enemies, and you already have more enemies than you know.’

The elders fell silent, but not for long. For though Ingomer remained quiet, Hartfast could not abide this insolent young man for long, and cared little of whether he was Ingomer’s legitimate heir or not. ’Gold from the mountains!’ he said to Mogdred’s face with a laugh, returning his scorn in kind. ’You are a fool then, to think that we have such treasures. Do you believe every fish-wife’s tale then about Firienseld? All your years of captivity must have addled your mind, boy! You know little about those you so arrogantly seek tribute of.’

But Mogdred responded coldly, pointing his finger at the dwarves: ’If you will not give it, then they can, if they would count on our protection.’

The dwarves stirred at his words, for they were accustomed to better manners, and did not take kindly to threats, implied or explicitly stated. But then lord Ceawin spoke, who had been listening from the sidelines, but seemed more willing to hear this man’s offer than others:

’Your arrogance earns you no favours here, lord Mogdred.’ he said. ’Perhaps your heart has grown hard and cold by your imprisonment. But though you are harsh, there may be merit in your proposal. The Sunstead wishes the friendship of all the free-folk that live in Mirkwood, and will return the kindness of those who support us. I would hear more of what you have to say.’

But before Mogdred could say a word, Fareth pushed her way through the crowd. At the sound of the hunting-horns, she had elected to stay by Radagast’s side, but upon hearing of the stranger’s arrival, she sought him out. Now, in seeing Mogdred, she remembered who he was, for this was not the first time she had encountered him.

’Mogdred!’ she said accusingly. ’I should have known it was you! Why don’t you tell the elders what you have been up to since you broke your chains?’

Upon hearing these words, Mogdred simply smiled, but he said nothing, and so Fareth continued. ’Do not listen to his lies! I know this man: he mixes lies with half-truths, and all he cares for is gold and power. He may be, as he says, a hunter of orcs, but he is also their slave-master. For many years he made his living by selling his orc-slaves to the Toft, who bent the knee to the Necromancer when he was lord of Dol Guldur. Now he claims to be the lord of Tyrant’s Hill, where orcs once ruled. If it is so, then he is no better master than they were.’

’And what of it?’ said Mogdred. ’The orcs imprisoned me; I only deemed it courteous to return the favour.’ He laughed bitterly. ’I know more about orcs than any of you, and I hate them more than anything else. You would be wise to ally your houses with Tyrant’s Hill. The Toft begged me to take their gold, yet I came here to seek allies: a courtesy to my old father, and to those that were once my folk. My men risk their lives daily, fighting orcs and spiders. We ask very little in return. But if you turn us down here, then you will leave us with no option, and we *will* seek tribute from the Toft, though I do not wish it to be so.’

spacer.pngA large man stepped forth, and removed his helmet, taking Mogdred’s side. He looked like a Woodman, and when he showed his face, many gasped, as if they had seen a ghost. For he was thought dead for many months, and whispers amongst the Woodmen quickly revealed that he was a hunter once, but had failed to return from a journey in the fall. ’Lord Mogdred speaks the truth.’ the man said. ’He is still one of us, and I owe my life to him, as do many others.’

With those words, the remainder of Mogdred’s riders stepped forth, and they too showed their faces, revealing the faces of other friends and relatives-ghosts long thought to be dead, but now revealed to be as alive as any Woodman gathered there. Yet others were unknown to them. Strangest amongst all, a tall elf-one of Thranduil’s folk-also stood by them.

Mechanics

A lore check (TN 14) or appropriate trait invocation reveals that the Toft is a large settlement south of Rhosgobel, who was rumoured to be in league with the Necromancer when he ruled in Dol Guldur. Evil Men dwell there, and only the most wayword of Woodmen journey at the Toft.