Year 2948: Putting down roots

Vladim

What a rude elf. Well, I guess they got all kinds in Woodland realm... Gramtyng's face darkned, but he held his tongue, for once - after all, the elf likely spoke from his grief, instead of pride. Still, he felt offended on Dunir's part, and could see the bird seemed to not take well to those words. The rohirrim quietly smoothed the feathers on its head and allowed Ingi to speak, instead.
-----------------------------------------------
Gramtyng bowed his head in respect to the older man: Here was someone he could truly call 'elder' - unlike that contradictory King's Guard trainer... The rohirrim made a complicated face. On one hand, the many knew a lot. On another, his temper. "Greetings, elder." He began. "We have been told that you know of the Leofrings in Wilderland - my distant cousins. I seek the truth of a legend from them, as I've traveled here to collect the lore of our people before they split up." He paused for dramatic effect - force of habit. "...But I owe a great deal to Idunn, and her people. As such, I seek a legend to even the ground for a challenge against another. A story I am certain the Leofrings know more of than any other people."

Gramtyng and Idunn

’We don’t see much of the Leofrings around these days.’ said Fridwald after a long pause. ’Their numbers were never that great, and they fear the forest more than anything else. They are horse-folk, and prefer the open plains. But there used to be friendship between the Leofrings and my folk back then, and we used to trade occasionally.

When I was a young lad of twenty years, I was stronger and faster, and I used to travel further to the south and west of the Anduin. Back then, the best place to find the Leofrings used to be the old town of Dwarrowhold, where they made their homes amongst ancient dwarven ruins. Once, I was there myself. It was not much to look at then, but it must have been a magnificent city once, built by great dwarf masons of old. But that was thirty years ago. Few have seen much of the remnants of Leof’s folk since…’

[OOC: A successful Insight check (TN 14) will reveal that Fridwald knows more, but is hesitant to say it. If Gramtyng is successful, he can attempt a Courtesy, Inspire or Persuade check to convince Fridwald to say more (if he fails, Idunn can also attempt it in his place). Additionally, regardless of these checks, Gram can attempt a Lore check (TN 14) to discover more about the history of Dwarrowhold (Story-telling can also be invoked for an automatic success).]

’Well,’ said Bofri, ’the Woodmen here are good folk, and reasonable, too. They see plainly that the restoration of the Old Forest Road will benefit them greatly. So, you see, not much convincing is necessary!’ he continued, concluding with a friendly smile.

’Still, our folk are not used to the forest, and sooner or later we will have to venture in it. I for one was not looking forward to it after hearing my father’s grim tales of Mirkwood… and your report does not reassure me at all! Spiders, the werewolf, and now goblins… we have our work cut out for us, it seems! But you are more experienced than any of us, and well-suited to lead this expedition. Perhaps you can join the Woodmen in their hunts after the moot is over, and teach Regin and Dwalin what you have learnt; they in turn will teach others. That should prepare us well for the journey to the eastern end of the road.

What do you say? A dangerous task, no doubt, but one that would be rewarded handsomely, both in gold and glory!’

[OOC: In terms of mechanics, Bofri is prepared to reward Fundor with 10 treasure points should he choose to devote his fellowship undertaking to helping Bofri with the Old Forest Road (a mission that will involve surveying the state of the road at the eastern eaves of Mirkwood, south of Esgaroth). Fundor can also extend the offer to the other members of the fellowship (by telling them about it). I’ll write a more detailed description of this undertaking when we get to the fellowship phase. It will probably involve some kind of survival check like Explore or Hunting. Fundor does not need to promise now, though; he can simply consider the offer.

You can also speak to Hartfast and take up his offer for a Holding in Mountain Hall, in exchange for teaching the Woodmen there about mining and crafting. Hartfast is eager to get the dwarves' help to improve the mines of Mountain-Hall.]

Ingi was pleased on finding Finn, and perhaps even more pleased that his recent adventures seemed to have softened some of his brothers usual condescension towards him. As he went to take the wine from Finn, Munir no doubt drawn by the shiny nature of the goblet revealed his hiding place in Ingis cloak with a loud caw and ruffling of the feathers, causing some of the wine to be spilled over the edges of the goblet.

Ingi said with a smile " First, to introductions, Finn meet Munir, Munir meet Finn". Then putting the glass of wine down to wipe his hand he addressed Finn "All of my tale you shall have in due course, but perhaps Munir has done me a favor, for I am promised to attend the archery finals later and it would not do to shoot ill. We can drink and share victuals tonight if you can spare the time either to celebrate or commiserate, and perhaps some of my companions can join. For now words and tales will have to suffice"

Thus Ingi proceeded to tell the tale of all that had happened since they had parted ways. When telling of the offer of patronage from Ceawin Ingi voiced his newfound reservations "although generous as an offer it seems from talking to others that it is not without its political strings..... and I have no wish to be involved in such affairs. It would also somehow seem strange given the fate of my companion..." here the lakemans voice tailed off, heavy with regret and his mind still dwelling on Glorial, and the sadness that had hung in the air in the earlier meeting of the day.

"but that is enough about me" said Ingi, "how was your journey here and is there any news from home ?"

Finn was a true son of Lake-town, the scion of a line of merchant-princes, used to the luxuries of Lake-Town and Dale, and uneasy with the frugal folk of Rhosgobel that treasured the gifts of the forest over pale gold. Thus, he was not expecting to see a raven perching underneath his brother’s cloak, and was at first surprised and a little disturbed that Ingi would keep such a pet and treat it as a companion.

’Well, the rumours are true then,’ he said awkwardly after trying to hide his slight disapproval, ’you have taken up friendship with the wizard and his creatures.’ He paused and then added in a resigned manner: ’I suppose it’s for the best, for it will strengthen our alliance.’ Clearly, Finn did not wish to dwell long on the subject, though the sight of the raven made it hard to ignore. Nonetheless, he made a great effort to do just that.

’Father is well, though I have not seen him since we set out from Esgaroth together. Yet I try to maintain correspondence. He sends his regards. He is worried about you, I believe. Wilderland is still a dangerous place to be travelling alone, though I have reassured him that your travelling companions seem to know these lands well. I will write to him about the archery contest. He will be entertained to hear that you have challenged Sigward; more so if you best him in the finals, though that will be no easy task!’ That was not surprising, for the brothers’ father, like most Men of the Lake, had a long rivalry with the Royal Archers of Dale, of whom Sigward was captain, and certainly if Ingi were to best him, the news would quickly spread to the North, where their folk dwelled.

Finally, though, Finn could set aside the small-talk, and come to the matter he cared most for: the matter of Ceawin and the folk of the East Bight. It was clear from Ingi’s words that he wished not to be dragged into the matter, and Finn respected that, and did not question his brother’s decision. But, like Ingi, he was curious, a trait that perhaps ran in the family, and wished to learn more of Ingi’s thoughts. ’Have you no opinion of your own on the matter? It is the Woodmen’s decision, ultimately, and like you, I wish not to become involved, for this task is Lord Ewald’s. Yet I am curious to hear your thoughts. You have seen the forest, and that will inform your view.’

[OOC: This is mainly a role-playing scene, so if you want to simple move forward, you can simply say that Ingi needs to go to the archery contest to ‘escape’ his brother’s ‘interrogation’.]

For some reason, Fundor feels that he's linked with Bofri's quest : He came first to the Anduin vales with the objective of looking at old dwarves mansions in the closed mountains, and probably that Hartfast proposal would help meeting that objective. But no, for some obscure reason, Fundor is interested in Bofri's idea of opening the old dwarf road. Even if it might take years, even if they risk their own live at it, still it pleases Fundor.
That's why Fundor, after long minutes of thinking, came back to Bofri and offered him his assistance.

[OOC: I want to move this forward, so as to slowly move towards the debates.]

Gramtyng and Idunn

Idunn listened carefully as Fridwald spoke of the Leofrings. There was still much about these lands that she did not know, but to hear that there were horse-folk in these lands surprised her. Perhaps, like Gramtyng had said, both these horse-folk and the Woodmen were descended from the same kin, she pondered, though she had no grasp of how old such ties would be.

’My companion seeks the Steed of the Moon,’ said the huntress finally, ’or, at least, the tales surrounding it. Can you tell us anything about it?’

Fridwald scratched his chin and remained in thought for a while, until eventually he could remember the story. ’The steed of the moon?’ he finally answered. ’It is but a tale, or at least my eyes have not seen such a creature in all of my journeys. It originated with the Leofrings, I believe, who love their horses and treat them as members of their family. They told me once that it was Béma the hunter who brought such horses to the west, over the Misty Mountains, many ages ago, and that the steed is of that line of noble creatures.

It is strange; the story stayed with me, because we have similar tales of our own; tales about hounds from the West gifted with great intelligence, and the ability to speak in our own tongue. But these are just tales, and I have seen neither hound nor steed, despite my many years of travelling.’

[OOC: Gramtyng should be able to recognize the name of Béma the hunter: he is a great being, or legendary hero, or god-like entity, and he is respected and known in Rohan, where the Horse-Lords often honour him, especially with relation to their hunts. He is believed to have brought the Mearas to the West.]

Ingi, son of Isolf

The archery contest

These are the rules for the archery contest:

_First, Ingi may roll Awareness (TN 14) to evaluate the situation and prepare his shots (wind, distance, etc). Succeeding in Awareness grants bonus dice (+1 for a normal success, +2 for a great success, +3 for an extraordinary success). These dice can be used to help with his Great Bow rolls later on (see below) and can be used as you wish (i.e. you can spend all for one shot, or spread them out).

_Second, Ingi must roll Great Bow 3 times, at increasing levels of difficulty (TN 14, 16, 18). Failure at any of those disqualifies Ingi (in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round; the 3rd round is the final against Sigward).

_To win, Ingi must acquire a total of 6 ‘points’ with his Great Bow: A normal success counts for 1 point, a great for 2, and an extraordinary for 3.

_You may roll all the checks first and then decide if you wish to spend Hope / Fellowship and/or use your Bowman of the Guild virtue.

_If you win, you get an item that signifies your victory (you can describe it as you wish). The item allows you to:
(a) Use your Standing score with the Woodmen (in addition to Lake-Men).
(b) If your standing is less than 3, youcan add +1 to your Standing.

The debates

[OOC: Let as assume that everyone is present during the debates, and that all PCs can contribute, should they wish to speak or take the stand. The song contest will happen after the debates, at the end of the day, and will be followed by a great feast.]

In the afternoon, when all the morning celebrations and contests where concluded, the Woodmen gathered outside the great long-house, for it was time now to trade news from the settlements, and to put forth requests and suggestions, to be considered by the gathering of elders. Here, all the Houses of the Woodmen were represented.

(Mountain-Hall)

Mountain-Hall, of course, was represented by Hartfast, but his sons and his emissaries were also introduced, for their deeds had reached the ears of the Woodmen, and though many of them were outsiders, or foreigners to these lands, they had earned the respect of the folk who dwelled in the eaves of Mirkwood.

(Rhosgobel)

The folk of Rhosgobel had no need for elders, for they had Radagast the Brown. But the wizard was content to remain nearby, close to the cottages, and observe. By ancient tradition, he attended all such gatherings, yet he did not interfere in the affairs of Men, save in the gravest of circumstances. Instead, he had gathered a great and noisy group of children around him, and he entertained them with his animal-friends: birds, squirrels and mice, able to perform all sorts of impressive tricks. At times he would laugh, and all those who did not know him thought that he paid little heed to the gathering, but that was not true, for he could hear every word.

The business of politics the wizard would leave to his agents: Cilderic and Fareth and Banna, who mingled with the folk outside the long-house, though they were here to listen, not interfere. But the folk of Rhosgobel were also represented by Arnulf the smith, who ran the forge in the village and was greatly respected by his kin.

(Woodmen-town)

Evoric led the folk of Woodmen-town. His hair was silver, for he had seen many winters, yet he was tall and strong, and his voice was loud. By him stood Fridwald the runner, the messenger of the Woodmen, for though he journeyed throughout the lands of the Woodmen, it was in Woodmen-town that he had his home. A young woman, a healer of great renown who went by the name of Gailar joined them, for she was Evoric’s daughter, and her father wished that she would succeed him, when he was too old to lead.

(Woodland Hall)

The folk of Woodland Hall that had come to the moot were many, for their House was the largest of all the settlements of the Woodmen. Ingomer the axe-breaker was their chieftain in all but name, for the folk of Wuduseld took no king, and were ruled by a council of elders, much like the folk of Woodmen-town and Rhosgobel. Yet always when there was trouble in these lands, Ingomer was elected war-leader unanimously. For Ingomer was an old warrior, past his fiftieth summer now, but still hale of body and sharp of mind, and canny and brave. Few amongst the Woodmen were as respected as he, and none had as much support among the four Houses of the Woodmen. With his loud voice he presided over the moot.

With him came his brother Grimbar, another elder of Wuduseld, and Aldgrim the sage, who was as close to a lore-master as the frugal folk of Mirkwood ever had. For many years Aldgrim had studied the ancient carvings and tapestries of Wuduseld, and he knew every tale depicted on them well, and had commissioned new works to celebrate the Woodmen victories that he had witnessed. Ingomer had brought also his son Iglund, who was his only heir, for his eldest had disappeared long ago in Mirkwood. Yet Iglund did not share his father’s reputation, and was considered by many as lazy and foolish and weak-willed. Sadly, such rumours were not entirely undeserved.

(Guests)

Many more of the Woodmen had come; folk that dwelled not in the main settlements, but in hamlets scattered along the western eaves and the Dusky River. Of these folk, Amaleoda stood out the most, for she was determined to build a new long-house and village, on the shores of the Black Tarn, the lake where the Dusky River flowed into. Her folk were fishermen and hunters, who had moved from the towns and villages deeper into the forest, now that the Necromancer was vanquished.

But others had also travelled here from further away; outlanders that sought the Woodmen for their own reasons. The most notable of those were the emissaries from Dale and Erebor, that included the son of the famed Bofur, as well as the folk of the Sunstead, from the East Bight, who were led by Ceawin.

[OOC: In case you are interested, I have added portraits of the new NPCs in the ‘NPC Codex’ thread of the Setting folder; these should give a rough description of the main NPC 'players'.

I will post about the start of the debate later; feel free to write something if you want, or you can also save it for later.]

spacer.png’Let us begin!’ said Ingomer of Wuduseld loudly, putting an end to all the conversations between the gathered folk. ’There are many friends, old and new, that have come here today, and there are many matters to see to. But I am glad to see my folk prosper and grow, and honoured to have so many guests from so far away join us in this gathering.’

spacer.pngHartfast spoke first, bringing news from the west. He spoke of the re-opening of the mines of Mountain-Hall, and of the coming of the dwarves, though he tried to put an end to those idle rumours that spoke of the finding of gold and silver in Firienseld. He spoke also of the power of Beorn over the Vales of the Anduin, and of the growing friendship between the Woodmen of Mountain-Hall and of those that followed the Bear-lord. He reminded the gathering that his folk and Beorn’s were of the same blood, for many of the Woodmen had decided to follow the slayer of Bolg, and spoke of the village of Stonyford, which served merchants and travellers well when they travelled from the eaves of Mirkwood to the Misty Mountains. But he spoke of the goblins too, who seemed now to grow in numbers, although they were kept in check by the Beornings.

spacer.pngThen Evoric of Woodmen-town took the stand, praising Hartfast for his deeds, for he was glad to hear that Firienseld was growing and establishing new alliances. But his request was of a practical nature: he wished for iron and tin, and weapons and tools, for his hall always had need for such things. Hartfast replied that, as the mines grew, more iron would become available, and with the aid of the dwarven craftsmen and smiths that resided in Mountain-Hall, good tools, weapons, and even armours would be made to cover the need of the Woodmen. But he also said that the Beornings charged tolls to keep travellers safe, and that this was fair and good, as they also needed goods and supplies to fight the goblins. But he promised that trade would flourish, now that Stonyford could serve as a way-station for travelling traders. The answer seemed to satisfy Evoric, and he promised to visit Stonyford himself in the coming months and support the new settlement as best he could.

spacer.pngThen Ingomer stepped forth with Bofri, son of Bofur, introducing him to the assembly. The dwarf was unaccustomed to speaking to so many of the line of Men, and he was nervous initially, but soon his voice grew loud and strong with conviction.

’Men of the woods!’ he said. ’There was once a great alliance between the folk of Durin and Men, long ago, when the kingdom of Kazad-dum was the greatest of the dwarven realms. Together, our folk prospered and ruled the vales of the Anduin, from the Dwarrowdelf to as far north as Gundabad! Though now that realm is Moria, abandoned but not forgotten, friendship has grown once again between my kin who dwell in Erebor and king Bard. I come here as an emissary of the king under the mountain, to strengthen and grow the bonds between Men and dwarves.

Master Hartfast has spoken of the mines of Firienseld, and of the growing of his town. I say this to him: Mountain-Hall shall have what it needs to reopen all its mines and to craft all the things that the Woodmen need to survive in these great, but harsh, forest. I will send forth more of my folk to see to it, and grow his town even further, so that the friendship of old may be remembered.

But this will be only the beginning. For you all know that once a great road ran through Mirkwood, connecting our realms in the Blue Mountains to the kingdom of Erebor. And though that way has fallen into disuse since the coming of the shadow to Mirkwood, my ancestors wound that road with mighty spells. Thus I believe that it can be restored, now that the Necromancer has been vanquished. Should this road be restored, much trade and much gold will flow through your lands, and they will benefit greatly from it, as have Lake-Town and Dale since the slaying of Smaug. And this will, in time, open the path to the restoration of Kazad-dum, and a new age of wealth and power for Men and dwarves. But I need your help in this task, for none know the woods better. What say you, Woodmen?’

The talk of trade and gold awakened a keen desire in many young Woodmen. Long had they known the tales of Lake-town and Dale, and of the great riches of their folk. Now, seeing the emissaries of these realms only served to strengthen their longing to match and even surpass the northern kingdoms in strength and wealth. Thus many applauded Bofri, for they saw a great opportunity, and many were keen to join his expedition. But Hartfast also took the stand to lend his aid and support. As soon as he stepped down, though, Idunn had taken his place, before anyone could notice, for now was her time to speak.

spacer.png’Great is the strength and power of the dwarves,’ she begun, her voice shaking, ’and I have witnessed their might and resolve in my journeys.’

She paused, remembering that she had not introduced herself yet, and quickly added:

’For those that do not know me, I am Idunn, daughter of Theodwin, of the house of Mountain-Hall. This deed that master Bofri speaks of is great and worth doing. Yet we must not forget that, though the Necromancer was defeated, many of his creatures still dwell in the forest. This, too, I have witnessed. Spiders and goblins still infest the dark heart of the woods, where the dwarf-road lies. But most terrible of all these enemies is the Beast of Mirkwood. Already it has claimed many lives, as Geirbald’s kin have come to now.’

Silence fell as Idunn spoke those words. But she was not dismayed.

’This is why I have come here. To gather men and women for the hunting of the Beast. For this deed that Bofri has spoken of will not be accomplished without the clearing of the forest. His pathfinders will only find death if the Werewolf is not slain.’

Mechanics

You may help or hinder Idunn in her proposal by addressing the moot. This can be done by using any social skill (e.g. Inspire, Persuade, Courtesy, Awe, or even Song). If you make a particularly convincing argument, and / or provide some good writing and role-playing, I will provide an extra bonus, turning a failure into a success, a success into a great success, or an ordinary success into an extraordinary one.

The degree of success will determine the number of people that choose to follow you as path-finders for Bofri and / or hunters for killing the Werewolf (and other creatures like spiders and orcs). Each success counts for 2 follower NPCs (a great counts for 4, and an extraordinary one for 6).

"Béma? Interesting. So even here, his name is known." The Rohirrim smiled, recalling of the feasts and honors his kinsmen offered him. The talk of the Dwarrowhold drew his interest immediately, his eyes lighting up as he pulled at his lower lip, trying feverishly to recall if he knew anything of it. But it did seem like there were parts of the story the old man was hesitant to share. But... why? "Elder, you... Surely, someone who has travelled as much as you must know more of these lands, of the people of Leof, of this ancient fortress..." Gramtyng spoke excitedly, trying to show he was fully commited to listening to him - that was what old folk valued wasn't it? "I've very few others to turn to to learn of this, except perhaps asking the Wise but they've far bigger things to deal with than a curious horseman. Maybe we could trade? Story for story?" His forthright companion has seemed to have gotten tired of waiting for the Rohirrim to get to the matter at hand and explained why he wanted to know of folk of Leof - curiously, the old man took well to it. Clearely, there was something to be learned from, from this style of... presentation, decided Gramtyng and he glanced with at the huntress, nodding to show his thanks. Sadly, it doesnt seem like he knew much. Perhaps he would have to ask the elves - or look himself...

----------------------At the Moot----------------------

Gramtyng was mostly content to listen to the others speak, taking a keener interest when Bofri spoke up about the road - here, that meant incredible opportunity, if there could be a guarded way through Mirkwood. It meant the beginning of victory over the shadowed forest, a triumph of civilization. Bofri would need help - it was a worthy cause, he decided. But as Idunn spoke up, he couldnt help but raise his voice to help her. "Idunn speaks the truth. I am Gramtyng, son of Fastred, of Rohan. She and her people have aided me many a time, and I have pledged my sword to her quest. A friend of ours - Nori of Erebor - has also nearly been slaughtered by the beast while travelling with Borin of the Grey Mountains - it doesnt limit itself in how far it ranges. It needs to be put down." The Rohirrim rose from his seat, making a cutting gesture with his hand, his features hardening. "Most beasts hunt around their lairs, but this thing seems to consider all of Mirkwood it's territory! None of us are truly safe while it remains. But to accomplish this, we need to hunt it in a way it will not expect. It is far too intelligent to be treated as a mere wolf. We all need to cooperate - elf, human, and dwarf, to counter it's advances, slay it, or at least, at first, make certain it claims no more victims." The rohirrim paused, taking a look at his audience. It wasnt an easy thing he was asking them - he, a stranger in this land. "The road must be restored. But it must also be kept restored. Perhaps we need a series of watchtowers, outposts to safeguard it."

[OOC @Diofant: The success in Insight allows Gram to realise that the elder is hiding something, and the success in Inspire convinces him to say more. Let’s assume that Gram does tell a tale, in the background, to convince Fridwald to open up. Additionally, the success in Lore allows Gram to recall some information about the Dwarrowhold.]

Fridwald was pleased to hear what Gramtyng had to say: he delighted in tales from faraway lands, and Rohan was a country he had never visited, despite his many journeys. Still, though, he wished not to spread ill-news and rumours when he had not witnessed such things personally. But after speaking at length to the bard, he was convinced of his determination, and he reasoned that such things should be said after all, for even if they were not completely true, it would be wise to exercise caution in the wild.

’If you seek the Leofrings, beware. Though I have not seen them, rumours reached my ears, many years ago, that the folk of Leof fell under the shadow, in the days when the Necromancer commanded his orcs in Dol Guldur. I have heard that some traded with him, bringing him horses. Still others bent the knee and followed him, though not all did so willingly. Perhaps there is no truth to such tales; perhaps these were rumours spread by the Necromancer to poison the minds of the Woodmen. I do not know the truth of this matter; only that the Leofrings vanished when the Necromancer was vanquished. Yet the timing is suspicious.’

Dwarrowhold

The name rings familiar to the bard; it has been mentioned in Rohan before, a town built by the dwarves for the ancestors of Gramtyng’s ancestors, in an age so long ago so as to be considered shrouded in legend. According to these tales, the dwarves once had a mighty realm in the Misty Mountains, and they built the Dwarrowhold for Men, so that they would provide crops for their underground realm. If such tales are true, then the arrangement is reminiscent of the relationship between Erebor and Dale in this day and age.

The town, if it ever existed, faded to legend when the dwarven realm fell… though, according to Fridwald, its ruins can still be seen. Perhaps a dwarf would know more of this ancient history…

Looking at both Bofri and Idunn, Fundor wants to follow both of them : Bofri for his dream of reopening the dwarven road, Idunn for her hope of free those lands of the werewolf danger. Then he hears Gramtyng's proposal and it seems to be the right idea : start reopening the road and build outposts along it and garrison them.

"I like your idea, Gramtyng. Moreover those outposts would help in the hunt of the werewolf : a place to rest and to start hunting the beast. If all free peoples take their part in this two tasks then we may ensure nicer days for our kins."

[OOC: So far, the fellowship has gathered 10 followers through their speeches. These 10 will be used later on for narrative purposes, for the hunting of the Werewolf.]

The Woodmen that had gathered knew Idunn and her tale: as she spoke, a few of them sympathised with her plight, and shared her sentiment, for they felt that what she said was right. But not many were moved, for they knew that she was motivated by her desire for vengeance, and though her words were fiery, she was too young to lead such an expedition.

Then Gramtyng spoke, and his words shamed those who feared the Beast and were too afraid to take action. Here was an outlander ready to throw away his life to help the Woodmen. His words moved many, and did more to sway the gathering than Idunn’s. Yet not all were moved: some still though that this was folly, and they held great influence and respect. Chief amongst them was Aldgrim, an elder of Woodland Hall. Now he stepped forth to address the gathering.

spacer.png’We all know your sad tale,’ Aldgrim the sage begun, ’yet that does not make you or your comrade fit to lead such an expedition. I have tried to keep you from throwing away your life on such a hopeless quest, but now others follow you, and more seek to join you. This I cannot allow.’

He paused. The audience had fallen silent again, for they respected Aldgrim, who was a fine orator, and possessing a great deal of knowledge. ’Those who have studied the carvings in Wuduseld know well that the werewolf is an immortal beast, one that cannot be slain easily. For many centuries it has plagued our folk. In this matter, we must seek the aid of the Woodland Realm, and not hunt the Beast alone. It is foolish to undertake this task without the elves’ help. Better hunters have failed; this child and her foreign companions will not succeed. Those who join them are fools, and their lives will be forfeit!’

[OOC: I will roll a Persuade check (for Aldgrim) vs. TN 14 to determine if he succeeds. If he does, then a PC must take an opposing action, using an appropriate social skill (e.g. Persuade, Inspire, etc), to counter or dismiss Aldgrim’s arguments and fears. The highest roll will be the one that wins.

If the PCs fail to win this, then the number of followers will be reduced by a number determined by Aldgrim’s margin of success (-2 on normal, -4 on Great, -6 on extraordinary).

Edit: Never mind; he rolled a Sauron and achieved only a 12 on his success dice, so his argument fails, and no PC needs to take action.]

spacer.png’The elves will offer no help.’ said Evoric grimly. He had said nothing so far, but he was a hunter, and knew that leaving the Werewolf roam the forest unchecked would bring death to many of the Woodmen. ’We have tried this your way, elder,’ he added, speaking to Aldgrim with none of the courtesy one of his age and knowledge was given, ’and nothing has come of it but death. It is time to hunt this beast down.’

Many cheered at Evoric’s words, for he was a hunter of some renown, and the younger folk were willing to follow him. And Aldgrim was shamed, and none listened to his counsel, and so he quietly stepped down, though he was angered by the foolishness of these hunters.

spacer.pngThen Amaleoda stood up and sought to speak. She was a shield-maiden from the nearby hamlet of the Black Tarn, well-liked and well-respected by the folk of Rhosgobel. She wished to expand the Black Tarn and had already built, with her own folk, a great house there, and wished to grow it even more, with help from her kin, the Woodmen of Rhosgobel, and Wuduseld, and of the Hall of Bathi. She spoke in support of the hunters:

’If you undertake this task, there is no better place to start than my own village. Black Tarn Hall is deep in the forest, yet still not far from Rhosgobel, and has the friendship of Radagast and the river-maidens, which will be valuable in this task.'

She added, ’I welcome all hunters who seek to slay this beast to accept the hospitality of Black Tarn Hall. It will be freely given, for anyone who hunts the werewolf does a great deed for the Woodmen. There we will raise a stronghold, with tall walls and watch-towers to protect us against the beasts and monsters of Mirkwood. It will be a base from which to range into the forest, to scout and to strike from.

In this deed, we require nothing else from you, elders, other than your blessing. These recent years of peace have brought bountiful harvests; our lake is alive with fish, and the pestilent fogs that blew up from Dol Guldur are no more. We can feed ourselves, and many more, and we welcome those who would join us, hunters and farmers and fishermen alike.’

After the horseman offers the tales of the Hill of Seeing and Hearing, the elder seems to open up, but the information given was not what he expected; confusion was replaced with a grim look on the rohirrim's face as he contemplated this, then sighed. "I do not believe my kin would fall to the Shadow... it could just be a cruel bit of gossip, or an exaggeration - but a wise man said that it is worth looking into the source before judging it." He nodded his head politely. "I will find them, and find the truth of things, Elder. Thank you for sharing your tale."

-----------------------At the Moot-----------------------

Gramtyng sneered at Aldrim's proclamation: "You disapprove of this 'foolishness' so much, old man, yet for all that, you are the FIRST to speak of 'leadership'. Funny, innit?" He shook his head, and turned to the moot, the smile sliding off his face: "Now that the Elder has deemed it necessary to tell us that vital piece of information, things might look a bit bleaker to some of you. Dont be fooled. Smaug was 'immortal' too. Cant be killed because its immortal?" The rohirrim shrugged, making a quizzical gesture. "That just means we cant kill it. Not that we cant remove it." The bard raised an index finger, trying to underline the importance of that distinction. "We capture it, and imprison it. Let it rot in its immortality. I hear the forgemasters of the Lonely Mountain are immensely skilled with delicate work, making all sorts of jewelry... If we've their aid, what if we were to order steel nets, akin to those for fish? Tangle it up to the point it cant even move, much less think of killing anyone." He nodded appreciatively to Amaleoda's words.