Year 2949: Kinstrife and Dark Tidings

Vladim

Seeing that their quarry had not fallen - for reasons unbeknownst to him - and his comrades in arms charging towards the aged bandit who seemed unimpeded by their attacks, Nori pauses to catch his breath. The chanting of the Beorningss and the stomping of their feet wash over him like a tidal wave, causing him to breath harder and faster as the intensity of battle once again swells through him. It's when Gramtyng charges forward, however, that snaps Nori into action. Following his friend forward, the dwarf lets out a similar warcry, but devoid of words. It's a pure, guttural scream of anger and energy. Nori pulls the axe across his chest and to the left, and then swings it as hard as he can - missing those friendly to him - and burying the axehead deep in Valter's gut.

Idunn turned to Oderic as soon as the boy felled the final spearman, and she counseled him with grave urgency, for she could tell that the boy was in no shape to continue fighting much longer. 'Flee, and find a safe place!' she said, her tone indicating that she was in no mood to negotiate. A command more than a request. 'You fought valiantly, and Beorn will hear of it - this I promise. But Valter is a foe for him, and him only!'

She turned to look at Dahr-Ol, who was fighting the captain of the bandits alone, and she heard the chants as Beorn approached. She tried to join in, to encourage her companions, but she was badly wounded and out of breath, and found that her voice was much too feeble to be heard.

[OOC: Forward stance again, TN to hit her is at 15.]

Dahr-Ol was shifting to his left when the unmistakable roar echoed through the Fold. Despite his wounds and Valtar's ominous green tinged wounds he smiled. Now the bandit lord would know fear. Dahr-Ol joined the chant driving home his right foot in time to his words "Beorn... Beorn... Beorn!!!!"

Dahr-Ol struck hard as he screamed the bear lord's name. One more blow from his axe and he would finish Valtar, he was sure of it.

As the chanting reaches a crescendo, a hulking shape appears at the flank of the Outlaw forces. Beorn has arrived, wearing the shape of a giant bear. If the bandits were charged by a storm made flesh, the effect could not be more devastating. Some of the outlaws throw down their weapons and surrender; others are crushed or torn to pieces by the wrathful bear. Valter, brought low by repeated attacks by the companions, had for a moment toppled, then righted himself, somehow continued to cling to life, now having an axe stuck in his shoulder and a spear rammed through his gut - he'd head the strength to grab the spear and begin to pull Dahr-Ol closer to him, though it was unclear what exactly he intended, with one hand crippled by Nori's strike and the other occupied with the Beorning's spear.

The hatred that burned in his eyes shone a vivid, poisonous green, and his face widened into a strange grin. Gramtyng's strikes had no effect, and with Ingi and Annungil still on approach, and Idunn defending Oderic... But Beorn's fury knew no bounds, and if Valter possessed an unnatural resilience, then Beorn's strength was far more unreasonable, as the bear's paw practically tore the bandit leader's head off his shoulders just by the force of the blow, smashing it into the cliffside and making the body go limp. The giant bear charged through the canyon, ending most fights just by approaching - some attempted to resist, but what good were spears and blades against this wall of rage and claws made incarnate? Everything was soon over, with the Beornings taking the remnants of the outlaws prisoner. Beorn had, as usual, vanished from the battle after sweeping through it - perhaps he didnt wish anyone to see him transform, or there may have been another reason.

[Part Nine: Judgement at the Carrock]
After everything was over, there was one more matter to resolve - the fate of the kinslayer, Oderic. This would have been decided at the Carrock, as was custom - and Oderic followed his guards there wordlessly and without complaint, though the only bonds he'd been given were on his hands, nobody took Merovech's sword - perhaps a sign of respect. The Beornings are a simple people, but they know their law. Cases are brought before a clan chieftain or before Beorn himself for judgement. Speakers on both sides may argue for their cause, trying to curry the favour of the listeners. But since Beorn is the source of all law, ultimately everything depends on the judge.

The same day as the companions return to the Carrock, Oderic is brought before Beorn for judgement to answer for his crimes. He killed Rathfic – but how should he be punished for this crime, as he'd helped afterward? Beorn settles himself on a stone at the Carrock, overlooking the silver thread of the moonlit Anduin, and listens to his followers' arguments. In the crowd of those listening, Brynhilde and Helmgut are plain to see - the latter pale, and the former calm and expressionless. Willifred steps up first. He introduces Oderic’s case for all to hear. He describes how Oderic was always a strange, troublesome boy, how he was jealous of Rathfic, and how he broke into Rathfic’s house and killed him. He then calls on Helmgut to describe what he saw, and Oderic’s fosterfather mumbles a few words about how he found his son with a knife in his hand standing over Rathfic’s body. He tries to speak up afterward, clearly intent to defend his son, but is silenced by Beorn raising his hand. "I will hear everyone. First, however..." He turned to the companions: "...I'm told you've been looking into this, gone above and beyond what I asked you for - you have my thanks for that. What have you found?"

Rolls needed

None. The Tolerance for this encounter is equal to the highest Wisdom in the company. It is then modified by Oderic’s actions so far. I believe the highest Wisdom we have is 3, and Oderic's action add +0 (would have been negatives if anything else happened), and I believe Dahr-Ol has Standing 1(default), which means the total Tolerance is 4. The rules are as normal, there is no need for Introduction - say what you wish to say, N/G/E success add 1/2/3 to the total score of the judgement. You(the companions, together) have a total of 4 rolls you can fail, before you are politely asked to let someone else speak.

"Lord Beorn," Nori calls out, drawing the chieftain's attention to his diminutive form as he steps out from the group. This might surprise some of the companions given the dwarf's tendency to remain towards the back given his crude bluntness. Nori has bandaged himself from the battle, covering the wounds caused to him by the arrows and having removed the accoutrements of war. He clasps his hands below his gut, his right hand gripping his left wrist. He looks up towards Beorn with a healthy dose of respect and fear, knowing his view on dwarves, but also confident in his reputation.

"Lord Beorn, before you hear Oderic's story - of which I understand and can sympathize with - I want to tell you about the boy..." Nori stops, glancing towards Oderic and appears to be upset with his choice in words. "... young man," he says, correcting himself and then bringing his eyes to bear on Beorn once again. "... that I've witnessed in the past days. When we found him, it is true he was among thieves, murderers, and oathbreakers... but he was not one of them. Truly, if it were not for Oderic, while you may have squashed the brigand army in your own time, the settlements of your people would be laid to waste. He had the opportunity to flee, but put himself at great personal risk to hinder and delay that band of filth. He bought us time we would not have had otherwise to prepare for their arrival." Nori's eyes once again return to Oderic as he makes his final remarks in a more solemn voice. "I have not known Oderic for as long as many here might have... but I saw his true character and grit. He is an honorable man and one I would travel with, without hesitation."

Dahr-Ol stepped forward and nodded in appreciation to Nori.

"My lord Beorn, the dwarf speaks truly. And there is much more that we learned. I personally witnessed Oderic strike a blow and unseat the bandit from his horse while I fought my way towards Valtar. But we are judging Oderic's guilt in a different matter tonight.

Rathfic, among the mightiest hunters of the village, was slain by Oderic's hand. But Oderic was never Rathfic's equal in war. This seemed unlikely to me. I discovered that Rathfic was drunk when he and Oderic argued that night. We all know how drink can addle a man's mind and feed the flame of anger. Worse yet, Rathfic and Oderic were not arguing over some banal matter of skins or hunting prowess. Oderic was defending another. He was defending his own kin.

I do not believe we can judge Oderic's actions rightly until we have heard from his family. There is one here who can tell us truly why these two men fought."

Dahr-Ol stepped back and turned to towards Helmgut and Brynhilde.

After the fight, Idunn sat wearily under a tree, against its trunk, her spear cast aside. She was exhausted and wounded, but glad that the battle had been won, and doubly so that this had been accomplished at no bitter cost. For Stonyford stood still, and Oderic drew breath yet. His plan had worked, and her injury, however painful, was worth it all.

With feeble motions, she tried to remove the arrow that still protruded from her shoulder, but a sharp sting of intolerable pain soon convinced her that this was folly. Thoughts of foul sorcery dominated her mind, and she tried to guess at the forces at play here, but to little avail... Still, she did not give up hope: for soon she was reunited with Uthred, her great hound, who had been tasked with watching over Oderic. His presence was enough to calm her nerves, and she patted him gently as she tried to rest for a while – not long, for they were soon ordered to march to the Carrock.

Idunn strained against the many steps, seeking support against her spear, which was now used as a walking-stick, yet she was too proud to accept anyone’s help. When she spoke at the gathering, her voice was feeble, betraying great weariness, but also grim and full of determination.

She looked to Willifred first, her gaze showing no little anger. She had heard him speak patiently, but now it was her turn. ’Too quickly have you summoned us here for this gathering.’ she said grimly, ’The blood of Valter’s men has hardly dried on my cloak, and my wounds are still open, still bleeding. Have you such haste to condemn this boy?’ she added judgmentally, the arrow still stuck deeply in her shoulder, the fletching still sticking out for all to see, clearly indicating that she spoke no lie. ’I made an oath to you, Lord Beorn, that I would finish my cousin’s work, and so here I am: true to my word, as I have promised you.

But I also made another oath, this one to Oderic: that all should hear of his courage here, whether he lived or died by Valter's hand. Every word that my companions have spoken is true. Without Oderic, Stonyford would lie in ruins now, and its folk would have been slaughtered to the last. He led Valter’s men astray, despite the dangers, and he fought valiantly against them at the end. If that is not wergild enough for the killing of Rathfic, then I do not know what is.

As to the murder of Rathfic, it is as Dahr-Ol says. But why don’t you let Oderic speak for himself? Or his father and sister? Surely they have voices for themselves, and they can shed light on this tragedy.’

OOC

Despite the fancy rhetoric, all I want to do is invoke Gruff for an auto-success on the introduction roll (Awe). Given that Idunn’s weary, I don’t think the dice will be too helpful…. But happy to roll of required.

Annungil sat and listened as the others spoke, but he himself remained quiet for the moment. He had arrived late to the final encounter with Valter, but had seen the sorcerous glow and the brigand fighting beyond all human capacity. That unsettled him greatly, for it seemed to be something that would come from the Morgul Vale, if the old tales be true.

He had nothing to add to the conversation on Oderic yet, save to vouch for the youth's courage and willingness to put himself in harm's way to protect the vales of Anduin. Others, yes, had already motioned for Brynhilde and Rathfic to speak, which he nodded in agreement to.

Like the others Ingi found himself exhausted by the fight and more so by the un-natural eeriness of the foe. During the march to the Carrock it was these thoughts that occupied his mind although the padding of Vef and the gentle nipping of Munir at the nape of his neck reminded him that there were gentler and kinder things also in existence. Hearing the other speak Ingi nodded in agreement but had no more to add. From what he knew of the sister of Oderic she would find her own words, and these would carry more weight with Beorn than any of his words ever could.

Beorn smoothes his beard as he sits, listening attentively while each of the companions speak their piece. Nori, Idunn, and Dahr-Ol have plenty to say, with Annungil and Ingi remaining silent. Gramtyng looked like he wished to say something, but looked into the crowd for a moment and looked away with a grim expression. Beorn nodded, in the end, and spoke to each, in turn: "The place where you mentioned Valter's band had been, and the path they had taken certainly does support your words, good Nori. No fool would take the road through Gloomy Fold to get to Stoneyford. Especially not a band with a local among them." He looked at Idunn next and nodded his agreement: "Too much blood has been spilled already. But until my Thanes' last task is resolved, no true rest will be among us - far too many hold anger and sorrow in their hearts. If you wish for a healer, you are free to go, daughter of Theodwyn." Beorn's rumbling voice changed slightly: "You have not the responsibility I do to these people. Do not be so quick to accuse anyone of hastiness. Even the mountains change... We will delay talk of weregild until after we determine everything." The skinchanger looked oddly distracted for a moment, then turned to Dahr-Ol: "You speak of defense of another... Indeed, that would bring a different view on this sorrowful incident. Your words of the drink are noted, and have been supported by another who..." Beorn looked at the crowd: "Did not wish to step forward. Now. Let us hear from Helmgut and Brynhilde, and then from Oderic himself."

Helmgut walked forward, supported by his daughter - it seemed that at this point, their disagreements had been put aside for the sake of Oderic. The aging warrior raised his head and turned away from Beorn, and toward Oderic. "At your permission, chieftain, I first wanted to apologize to my son - here, in front of everyone - for how I've treated him. I'm sorry, son. Wont ever be 'nuff ta say it... But I wanted ta say it. Shouldn't 'ave gotten, angry, shouldn't 'ave yelled... An' shouldn't 'ave tried ta force ya to learn thin's you didna care 'bout. I'm... a disappointment of a father. Ranaval, yer pa, he'd be ashamed of how I dealt wit' things. An' dont get cross wit' the " The old man bowed to the ground to the increasingly uncomfortable Oderic who looked away from the sight with a gleam of something in his eyes. "So. Even iffen ye dont forgive me - mountains know, I dunno deserve it - whatever you decide on, chieftain, I say it now, in front of our entire people. Let none say old Helmgut is an oathbreaker." He raised his voice: "Oderic's fate 'll be my own, no matter what it be. As his father, I claim it. I have that right." He looked over at Beorn questioningly, and the large man nodded silently, his expression unreadable. "What I saw... Bryn screamed, an' I ran ta see what went wrong. Oderic was standin' over Rathfic, who had a bloody wound in 'is chest. Oderic held the knife... And I struck tha' knife, without even askin' anything."

There was a general murmur in the crowd, which was silenced by Ethal of all people, who all but growled "Silence...Nothing is proven." In such a tone that nobody questioned it. "No, Ethal." A new, tired voice, spoke: "Its done." Brynhild stepped forward, leaving Helmgut to the older woman, and stepped forward, towards Beorn. She looked over the crowd, looking for something in their faces, then turning to Oderic and finally to Beorn once more. "The one who killed Rathfic..." Oderic nearly managed to free himself at his point, but tripped, restrained by the two men who stood at his sides, baffled by his behaviour: "DONT YOU DARE! YOU SWORE!"

His sister paused, looking at her adoptive brother and actually smiled for the first time the company had seen her. "Then I guess I'll be oathbreaker, as well as kinslayer." She turned back to Beorn and finished her words: "...Was me. My brother took the knife from me when he saw what I had done, and had taken the blame, swearing me to silence. He felt that he never fit in with the village - he never realized how well-liked he was, but anyone will tell you that." Ethal began to sob, somewhere behind, while Helmgut stood, struck speechless. Oderic, however was only quiet for the moment it took him to regain his breath. "She's said her piece, right?! Chieftain, you said you'd let me speak - let me say, then, the things she refuses to. It may be shameful, but you wished for the truth, and I am not about to let my little sister be executed as kinslayer!"

Beorn leaned forward, raising his hand in an almost gentle gesture for the guards to let Oderic come forward; the young man all but collapsed on his knees, breathing heavily, then pointed angrily at his sister - or rather, at her scarf. "I never wanted to be a scout, before, much less a warrior. I loved woodcarving - and felt angry at everything. Distanced myself from people, walked away. Told myself I've been misunderstood, when I knew they pitied me - it only made me more irritated. And still, they were so patient with me... Among others, I've not especially not had a good start with Rathfic... But it WAS him who started taking me hunting. It WAS him who got me interested in scouting. He WAS my friend - though I doubt anyone saw it. But when he began courting Brynhild, I started seeing things. When we hunted, he was... just thrilled to hunt; I thought it normal. But when I saw him hunt alone, and saw him torturing an animal to death, I knew something wasnt normal. I've followed him many times after - the things I saw him do made me sick. I spoke to my father, but he dismissed it as empty worries. I went to Rathfic, confronted him, we got in a fight... we were no longer friends. However disgusting it was, I would have let the matter sit, if he'd just restricted himself to tormenting his prey." Oderic's voice turned into a snarl and he gripped the dry earth under his fingers hard enough to pull it out: "...But when I saw that animal began to torment my sister as well, I... I lost all control. I saw her wounds before she could hide them, and ran to him. He was drunk, and we DID fight. He quickly overpowered me... He was reaching for his knife - which I knocked from his hands - when my sister saved me by stabbing him. Then I heard running... And took the knife from her."

Silence fell over the Carrock, broken by Beorn's voice. "I ask that those who investigated this incident speak their minds. We now know what happened... I would like to hear the perspective of those who havent been involved directly."

Perhaps it was the pain from her wound, but Idunn felt anger within her when Beorn had spoken his reply. ’No responsibility to these folk?’ she thought, and brought Merovech to her mind. She was no leader here, but she *did* have a responsibility to her slain cousin and his family, and that mattered more to her than anything else. But before she could retort, others were asked to speak, and so Idunn fell silent for a while, seething.

She listened keenly as Helmgut, Brynhild and Oderic spoke and made their revelations. Now, at last, the final pieces had fallen into place. The tragedy was explained before all, and Idunn felt… well, she was not sure how she felt. Was it all for nothing? What did Rathfic’s killing matter in the end? He was an evil man, and he deserved it, so what had the point of it all been? Had the Thanes died for this?

Answering to Lord Beorn’s request, she spoke once more, mustering all of her strength to make one final impassioned plea: not to the bear-lord, but to his folk, that were gathered about them, witnessing this trial.

’We have at last heard the truth. Rathfic was an evil man, kinless amongst your folk, cruel and vicious. And Oderic and Brynhild slew him in defense of themselves… it does not matter who cast the killing blow. I say good riddance then: if they slew the man, then they did well, not for themselves alone but for all of Stonyford. For who knows what other evils this Rathfic was involved in.’

She now looked to the audience, turning her back on Beorn: a sensational act of defiance that could easily backfire, but she was not thinking clearly. Taking up the Thane’s greatspear again, she planted it to the ground, point down, with one powerful thrust, to make her point more emphatic as she addressed the crowd.

’Your Lord may think that I know not of what I speak, but Thane Merovech was my kinsman, my blood. I have as much a right to be involved as any of you, if not more. Merovech was Thane of judgement. Think of what he would say. Oderic and his sister did nothing wrong. If you do not wish for the Thane's death to have been for naught, then let them go free, and do not needlessly prolong their tragedy. They have suffered enough already.’

[OOC: I think this may backfire spectacularly, but I’ll roll Awe – I think both success and failure would fit, so I am happy to leave it to the dice.]

Nori steps alongside Idunn, the dwarf now on her left with very little space between them - as if he were there to support her both physically and emotionally. His focus, however, is on the man holding this audience as opposed to the audience. "Lord Beorn," Nori states, keeping reverence for the skinchanger's authority in this matter and as much formality as the crude craftsman can muster. Perhaps it is his poly to keep Beorn at bay while Idunn sways his kinfolk. "It may not place the blame squarely on Rathfic, but if you seek further evidence that Oderic and Brynhild are innocent of murder, I believe there is one among you who can speak to this..." Nori glances up at Idunn, indicating he's about to share something she has told him, before returning his focus to Beorn. "Looking into the toll that has befallen your people, we spoke to many folk with many views and many different reputations. But my sister in arms, Idunn spoke to one of your people known for the truth, however hurtful that might be. And by her own words, she said that Oderic did not commit what he is accused of. I believe she knows more..."

Nori turns to his side, able to look out over one shoulder towards the crowd and the other back to Beorn. His eyes search the faces of the crowd, the dwarf unsure who he is looking for. "I ask that Ethal the Unkind step forward and share what she knows of this matter," he states in a calm, pleading manner. "... to ensure a young man's name is not unduly tarnished."

Dahr-Ol raised his voice as Ethal was clearly hesitant to come forward.

"My lord Beorn, there is much about this that reminds of a similar situation. Another man who had spent his time in captivity, a man who had by his own admission worked against our people for some time. The dark influences of such captivity can be hard to shake, they linger sometimes, like venom in a wound. Like a scar that mars an otherwise healthy body. They entangle the heart like spider webs, ensnaring their prey.

As always the question lingers, can such men turn back to the light? You have in the past given such men a time of testing. Watched carefully by your trusted Thanes, they were given the chance to prove their allegiances. To reveal what is truly in their hearts. If an old Hillman come to beg your mercy could be given such chance, young Oderic here certainly deserves a similar opportunity."

Dahr-Ol looked between Beorn and Oderic as he spoke, unsure of his words. Making formal speeches was never a thing he had felt comfortable doing.

There had been many an angry reaction to Idunn's defiance and judgemental words directed at their chief - but not from the man himself. "You mistake me, child." Beorn's voice rumbled from behind Idunn, its tone oddly gentle, almost kindly. "The responsibility I carry to these people, and the ones you do are different - but not nonexistent. To me, they are my children, those I adopted and took as my own. Them I will defend from any and all, to the last drop of blood. Them I will govern, as they have asked me for, until my arms can no longer lift a weapon." Beorn looked over the quietened crowd and smiled. "...But you, what your responsibility is, you must decide for yourself, as one of the Free People." The chieftain of the Beornings fell silent, allowing Nori to continue after the huntress had finished her speech. As the dwarf spoke, he nodded encouragingly and half-turned towards the crowd, where Ethal supported Helmgut, a question in his eyes. "I, too, would like to ask the same." He agreed. Finally, Dahr-Ol spoke up, but after hearing him out, Beorn shook his head lightly: "The circumstances are too different in this case, young Dahr-Ol. Your heart is true, but I do not think such a resolution would be fitting here."

"Very well." Ethal stepped forward, sighing, and leaving Helmgut to Willifred, who stepped forward to support the old man, whispering something calming to him. "Chieftain, there isnt much left to be said, truth be told... But I do have to admit my guilt of knowing of this entire sorrowful story and keeping silent. I am... Known to be nosy. And I did not wish to impose further tragedy on an already tragic circumstance. If the brother took the guilt of the sister and wished to leave, who was I to tell them it was wrong? I knew what Rathfic was even without seeing the Brand. I was surprised others did not, but did not speak - many come to you to leave their pasts. Perhaps he would leave his, as well... I was wrong. I, like Idunn, do not believe a crime had been done, rather a tragic fall of a man who might have been more."

At this point, the Gramtyng had finally decided to speak. "All the facts have been said, already. All that is left is your judgement, Lord Beorn... But as you asked us to speak our minds, I will now do so - though I've thought it better I keep silent, as I've a cruel tongue and my words may offend." The bard half-turned towards the crowd and studied their faces, pausing for a moment as he took in the general mood of the crowd. "I've suspected something had been off since the start - too many things have not added up. But without proof, I kept my silence. With the truth exposed... What happened here was a failure - of many people. Rathfic's in putting his past behind him. Helmgut's in seeing the man was troubled, and listening to his son. Brynhilde, in staying silent to the last. And all of you - for not being able to see what manner of man Rathfic was, and understanding the conflict with Oderic. But your are all kin. All of you gathered together and persevered because you are strong, and because you were willing to keep working together. Failings should not stop anyone, merely inspire you to do what is right. You defend your own, stand for your own, here in Wilderland it would be a dark day indeed if you - or any of the Free People - stepped away from that. Those are my thoughts." He nodded respectfully to Beorn and sat back down.

"Bold words that border on insolence... But no less truthful." Finally replied Beorn. Sighing, the large man rose to his feet and looked over the gathering; the Companions, the two accused, their father, Ethal, Willifred - who stared at Beorn with an almost defiant look - and the rest of the quietened Beornings. "Hear my judgement, pronounced on the Carrock, my people, our guests, and one above. Brynhilde has killed Rathfic, and her brother Oderic had covered her crime - that is what would likely be said by some. Others may claim it a crime of passion, and shift blame. I am neither - death is death, and when one of ours dies, a price is paid... But it so happens that Rathfic, whom was slain, has turned out to never have been part of us, despite making such an attempt. He concealed his past, which would have been forgiven, but chose to not leave that sad legacy behind him, and brought it to us. I know of his people - slaves to the spiders of Mirkwood, they dress in rags, and only a few can speak a human tongue, the rest chittering like spiders. They are a sad, humiliated, and dark tribe that exists to serve the Shadow. Rathfic's prowess as a warrior was a great boon to our people... But the darkness he'd failed to contain overwhelmed him and stole him from us before he became one of us - that is what killed him, not Brynhilde. As said before, none can deny self-defense... and what some may see as an act of accomplice, others deem as self-sacrifice out of love for another. A thing to be praised, not condemned." Beorn sat back down upon the rock he'd gotten up from. "To keep the peace and balance... I impose on Oderic and Brynhilde this weregild. Oderic, continue your training - as a scout, or as a warrior. Brynhilde, support your brother and join him. I know that you did not enjoy being left behind when he left. Work to your strengths, and become better warriors than Rathfic ever was. Support your father, and forgive him. Work together with your people, and do not avoid them. Our strength always lay in our unity. I have spoken. And now... I've something else to show you."

The chieftain of the Beornings reached inside his furs and pulled out a piece of cloth, which he unwrapped, revealing a bleached white skull on a flag - Valter's flag. It had cracked nearly in two, but still bore strange, green marks around the eyes, as if scorched by flame. Beorn held this strange trophy out for all to see, and his voice grew serious and grim, with echoes of old rage. "This I have found on the body of the invader's leader - this 'Valter'. After he died, this object rolled off his belt - no straps, no bindings, as you can see. When I found it, the eyeholes had been brightly lit with green flame that reminds me of dark memories - those empty eyes stared at me with cold malice I could feel. We call this man a bandit, an outlaw... But I think that is wrong. Those of you skilled in interpreting symbols, think of this flag - and think where you've seen its like. A mountain, a wall, and this... vile sorcery. Valter's troops were few, but well-equipped. I would have arrived to the battlefield earlier - but had to make my way through no less than fifty orcs laying in ambush. I say this not to frighten you - perhaps some would rather I remain silent." Beorn's voice grew stronger. "I refuse. I would rather you all know what we fought, and make your own conclusions."

Rolls needed

None. This is where this adventure ends - but you are all encouraged to write a summary, including what your character is doing when they're done here. New Undertakings have been added:

Training with Oderic and Brynhilde: The companion spends time training with the siblings under the watchful eye of Helmgut. Gain the next level of a weapon of your choice(Spear, axe, or bow) at half price of Exp, or gain 3 Hope(2 Hope every other time this Undertaking is taken afterward). This Undertaking will remain for the next 4 years.

Investigate Valter: The companion heads to the libraries of Dale to investigate the strange man that brought a small army to Wilderland, financed by none knows whom, with proper heraldry. Gain the benefits of Old-Lore for the next adventuring phase. Roll Lore to gain insight or information:
Failure: Nothing useful. If this was your first roll, you may roll again, but a 12 will be considered an 11.
Success: One piece of information.
Great Success: Two pieces of information.
Extraordinary Success: Two pieces of information and 1 point of Experience - you have discovered something substantial.
Gandalf and at least one tengwar: You have discovered everything there was to know on the subject. Also, gain 1 point of Hope and 1 Experience.
Failure and Sauron: You have not only wasted your time but come across an unrelated secret that should have remained hidden. Gain 1 point of Shadow.

This undertaking is only available once.

Additionally, each Companions receives 3 Treasure from Beorn and sees their Standing with the Beornings raised by 1 (permanently).

Tale of the Years

As a reminder for those who have a holding - now that Kinstrife is over, you can choose to Tend to Holding, which allows you to roll the die for the Holding's progress twice and choose the best result - and if you have the right specialty, you gain an advancement point.

People who end up going to Dale for whatever reason at the end of Kinstrife also get to witness the wedding of King Bard and Una of Dorwinion. There is a grand ceremony.

Spiders attack a Woodmanman boat travelling down the Dusky River. The River-Maidens intercede to save the Woodmen by guiding them out of the webs. One of the woodmen later reported seeing a gigantic spider lurking in the shadows, just out of sight.

The Bloody Ghost makes an appearance, stealing chickens from Woodmen. One farmer retaliates, and is trampled to death by frightened cows, terrified by the thing. A bounty is placed on the head of the Bloody Ghost.

Beorn visits Northern Mirkwood to discuss something with the Elves. King Thranduil sends emissaries to meet with him.

Tensions are rising with the Barding villages along the edge of the Eastern border of the Woodland realm, as the Bardings trespass into the land of the Elves.

Balin and Gandalf visit Bilbo in the Shire. On the way, they speak of Moria, and Balin begins to dream of returning there.