Year 2949: Kinstrife and Dark Tidings

Vladim

Munir who had been nestled in Ingis coat flaps throughout the duration, playing as he often did with the gleam of Ingis broach, suddenly popped his head out at Idunns mention of ravens and made a short hop from Ingis arm to his shoulder head half turned as if to inquire what was being suggested. "If we are to send the ravens" Ingi spoke "we should do so soon before the day gets much longer" [ooc @Diofant not really sure what time of day we are at as ravens are not nocturnal but perhaps its not too important, just dont want anything to happen to Munir...] "We should also send them with as much information as possible and" looking at the other companions "to as many friends who can offer aid as possible"

"I for one am not interested in being a cold blooded killer be it through through steel or through stealth. What if in addition to strengthening the wine we added something to induce lethargy in the force. There are herbs in the forests around laketown that could do just this but I am unsure if I can find any here...." [ooc - @Diofant is there anything I need to role to invoke herb lore here ?] "perhaps I can even find something to help with out friend over there in the woods. Oderic - was it a secret that you were followed or was it made clear, Under what circumstances would Valter increase his trust in you in relation to your unwanted companion ? If you brought him back apparently dazed...? How quick witted is he as an individual ?"

Oderic shook his head at Idunn's words with a dark look on his face: "I care because its I made a promise that I value more than my life." He replied frankly. "If I am absolved of my oath... which looks like it will happen, against my wishes, then I will tell you. But I'll not be oathbreaker. Please understand that I am not lying to you, nor is this relevant to our protecting Stoneyford. You are right, though; I wouldnt use poison for anything - it isnt our way, or any warrior's way. Strong drink will be poison enough, for them." He made an uncertain gesture: "I know where they fill their cups. It'll be easy to replenish what they're already drank with pure wine; they're already drunk. I'll do it." The boy turned to Nori and nodded: "I know where they keep the wine that Valter watered down for his troops - there were two barrels of it origionally. He kept one pure, poured half the other into another barrel, and then diluted both with water... Which leaves the pure barrel nearby. I'll just pretend I'm going to get more drink, gather a mug of the strong wine, and pour it into the watered down one as many times as I need." Oderic grimaced, clearly irritated by the constant accusations, but turned to Idunn to reply:

"Valter was going to ford the river wherever I tell him, because he has no idea about the area. From everything I know there's only three places he can cross. The Old Ford, by bridge. Stoneyford, where there are some ruins of a bridge, but the river is still quick. Gladden, where the river is slow as it moves through a swamp - Ah." He looked at the huntress with some surprise: "Is this why you kept asking me the same thing...? You're right! There IS another way." Oderic had quickly gotten excited at the prospect, forgetting his agitation, trying to explain his idea swiftly: "Beside the ford at Stoneyford, where I was to tell them to build rafts, there's a valley I can trick them into passing. Gloomy Fold, a steep-sided valley near the ford, you know it? They wont be able to escape if the Beornings attack from both sides and the top! And there's plenty of boulders along the top to take cover and throw down. That's what I'll do!" The beorning turned to walk away and do his part in this ambush, but was stopped by Ingi's words: "If you can get me more sleeping herbs.. that would be helpful." He admitted. "As for Faron, him following me was supposed to be secret, but he's far too clumsy. Rathfic..." He grew grim at the recollection: "...He's nowhere near as good. They're both sadists though; Faron just likes to cause pain to any living thing without any real shame or restraint. I dont want to talk about Rathfic's actions yet. Faron is fairly quick witted, but he's had plenty to drink already. I could drag him back to camp, but you could just leave him here tied up, cover him up... I better go now." Oderic began to walk toward the circle of fires.

Not hesitating on the suggestion of sending ravens by Idunn or Ingi's call to action in sending them, Nori looks to Ingi and says with eagerness, "The fat one can go to the town as he speaks the common tongue - they'll be much more keen to read any note attached to him." Nori nods in the direction of Munir and suggests, "Send your bird to Beorn. He'll notice its presence far easier." Then, looking among his comrades expectantly, Nori asks no one and yet everyone, "Now who has something I can write on... and with? I'm a smith, not a poet." The dwarf seems too caught up in what he sees as his task to see Oderic rush back to the den of thieves and villains.

Idunn looked at Oderic with a serious gaze. For all that she knew, this could well be the last time they saw the boy. There was no guarantee than he or any of them would live through this, though if their lives could buy Stonyford enough time to mount a defense, it would be worth it. ’Keep your oath then,’ she said grimly to Oderic in reply, ’perhaps you shall take your secret to the grave. There, at least, it will be safer than in Valter’s company.

Rest assured that I too shall keep my promise, whether we meet again or not. I shall speak to Beorn on your behalf, and tell him of what you agreed to here. Even if you do not survive this, your name will be cleared… this I swear. Brynhild and Helmgut and the folk of Stonyford will hear of your deed… if the village survives.’

She reached under her shirt and revealed the radiant red gem which she had found in Mirkwood – the very same that had shown them the abandoned holes of the river-hobbits just hours prior. ’Take this.’ she said to Oderic plainly. ’It will guide your way if you are lost, and perhaps it will help you make your escape from the Gloomy Fold. Should we meet again, you can return it to me. May luck be with you, Oderic of the Beornings. Do not throw your life away for nothing, and do not take any unnecessary risks!’

Later, as Nori spoke, Idunn made arrangements so that Ingi could send her own raven, Thurin, to Radagast the Brown. The message was simple: to tell to the wizard that the Dwimmerhorn was lit, for this was a matter of great concern for the Woodmen. At the same time, she knelt by Uthred, her hound, and whispered softly in his ear. She had not told this to Oderic, but she intended to have Uthred’s watchful eyes follow the Beorning. For though none of them could afford to tarry here with Valter’s army, at least the presence of a hound would be less conspicuous, and Uthred could act as a guard to Oderic, should there be need.

Annungil rose and stepped to the trunk of a tree where he could peer around the edge towards the camp. Nothing yet, but it unnerved him being so exposed to the enemies. Anything could happen. But if were to admit, the thought of testing his mettle against a hundred brigands had a certain appeal. Rash and foolish, but surely he was better than they were? That thought alone brought back the voice of his sergeant and he pulled away from that thought but kept his hand on the hilt of his sword.

He nodded as Oderic spoke. "Gloomy Fold? Aye, that sounds like a wise plan to lure them in. if we can get there before them, it would be the ideal place to lay in ambush and catch them unawares. Lessen our casualties and perhaps prompt more of them to surrender."

Oderic nodded, taking the gem without any unneeded words, and concealed it in a pouch he carried on his chest. With that being done, he nodded to the others respectfully, and walked in the direction of the fires, Merovech's sword back in its scabbard. Gramtyng watched until he disappeared beyond what his straining eyes could see in the evening, then turned to the others, not noticing the huntress' faithful hound sneaking off along with the beorning boy. "Lets get going, then. We've got to deal with our own luggage, and then have a long journey ahead of us." The bard was unnaturally grim with his words - regardless how this would turn out, a lot of people were going to die; it would be an occasion to compose a song regardless - and to witness it himself was ideal, but... That was his professionalism, and not how he felt. The bard tore out a page from his journal and took down Idunn's message as best he could, presenting it to her when he was done.

The trek back is done at breakneck speed, the companions scrambling to reach the Beorning lands as soon as they are able and warn Beorn and his people of the dire threat that is on their doorstep. It does not prove to be an easy journey, with many bruises and even small wounds from sharp stones, but the feeling that what they do is right, that so many depend on them, pushes them ever forward, ignoring the pain in their muscles. Even little Belgo is silent, gritting his teeth but continuing to press on, refusing Gramtyng's offers to let him ride on Leasere - the horse had been saddled with the heaviest of loads, so the travelers could continue on even a little easier. In the end, be it thorn, rock, or impassible terrain, the companions once more behold the grounds of Stoneyford, with Munir and Hunir sitting on the handrails of what remained of the bridge, cleaning their feathers. They had made it - nothing here even suggested the villagers knew anything of the threat behind them. Neat little columns of smoke rose from chimneys, food cooked, and though there was no laughter to be heard from the people going about their business, surely more than Willifred would have been posted as guard. Still, it was only him, leaning on his spear.

Idunn looked grim indeed after the many hardships of the exhausting march. This was not difficult territory, especially when compared to the dangerous depths of Mirkwood, but the pace they had set for themselves was taxing. Still, she did not look forward to this task - she would much rather continue north, but Stonyford had to be warned, and they were the only ones that could warn them. She loathed being the bearer of troubling news twice in less than a week, but she knew well what their duty was, however grim.

As she saw Willifred from a distance, she spoke to her companions: 'We must make haste, for there is no time to spare.' She turned to Dahr-Ol, who knew this village better than any of them, and asked: 'Do you deem it wise to speak to him of Oderic, and of his fate and mission? I would that your folk began evacuating immediately, for who knows if the bandit-army was led astray. Rumours and gossip about the kinslayer could make matters worse. None of us can afford to waste time; it is a matter of life and death now.'

She waited for an answer and a plan before she approached the lone watcher, with the fellowship at her side. When Willifred had seen them, she raised her hand in greeting, and soon after she spoke: 'Hail Willifred of Stonyford. We come bearing grim news yet again, but worse news there will be yet if you do not listen to our counsel. We must act quickly, for doom awaits all of us if we do not. A great army of outlaws is marching openly in Beorn's lands, and their strength is too strong for any but Beorn. The walls of Stonyford will not withstand such a great host. I counsel that you prepare yourself and your folk to leave at once, and march to Beorn's homestead, while there is still time.'

Dahr-Ol nodded to Idunn,

"You are right. Such discussion of Oderic would only distract the people from what must be done. We will let Oderic's deeds in delaying the bandit force speak for him.

Idunn my intent is to lead our people into the foothills near the trail to Mountain Home. There are narrow places we can hold, and we will move along the heights much faster than Valtar's armored cut throats. Bring Beorn towards Mountain Home."

He watched his people's faces as Idunn spoke. They would need more convincing.

"She speaks truly! Valtar, who commanded Gizik and Cenrik to steal the Scicle from Beorn, marches upon us with a hundred bandits at his back. I have seen them! Valtar lays claim to all the lands round the Dale and the Lake. He knows that Beornings hold the ford and he intends to kill us or make us his slaves. He came for Beorn's treasures, and now he comes for Beorn's people, and Beorn's lands. I will die rather than live as a slave!

We must abandon these huts, make for the fastness of the hills, and prepare to harry our enemy until our lord Beorn can march to our aid. We will make for the split rock where Merovech clove the stone with his spear. We will prove to this outsider that Merovech's kin do not bear the name Beornings in vain.

That trail leads high into the hills. The paths are narrow, and Valtar's men are burdened with metal armor. We will move faster than he along the hilltops; and when his exhausted men stop in the darkness to rest we will take our master's toll from them! We will make them afraid of every night bird call and rustling bush! Their survivors will live in fear of these hills for a generation!

Gather your children, your weapons, and some food. We must leave before the moon is high in the heavens! My companions, Merovech's niece among them, will make haste to Beorn. I will stay with you.

Willifred's eyes widened, then narrowed just as quickly at Idunn and Dahr-Ol's words, the Beorning nodding quickly. "Where are they coming from?" Was all he asked, to his credit - he certainly didnt look like time improved his attitude towards anyone present, but these news were far too significant to factor likes and dislikes into them. "I will be depending on you to send word to the Chief, then." He continued when he got his answer. "The Carrock isnt any more defensible than Stoneyford from my view, but it's up to Beorn." He cast a grim, if surprised, look at Dahr-Ol: "The hills? Do you mean Gloomy Fold? Either way, I will rally the men and evacuate everyone else." Willifred turned and ran into the village, shouting orders, and in mere minutes, Stoneyford, previously overtaken by a dark mood, had a very rapid shift of atmosphere - one of ferocity and anger. Their fury had finally found an outlet, and it could be clearly seen just what qualified them to be Beorn's people - even if Valter had been here right now, his victory would be a hard-won one, though it would be a dear cost to the Beornings. Everyone had known what to do, and everyone had been more than motivated to do their part. Even old Hartwulf has been helping children onto the cart, and helping some of the slower folk with a harsh word. After all, he has a responsibility to them, and for a time, it even overrode his grief.

The trip to Beorn's had been just as breakneck as the one to Stoneyford, though the terrain is certainly more forgiving than the other journey: green fields and small groves of trees - peaceful and cozy. The company had approached Beorn's Hall when it had already been getting dark - and Beorn, whom greeted them at the front door of his house, seemed a very different person from when they had visited last. There was fury in every line of the giant man's face and being the one that this would be directed at would be truly terrifying. When Beorn spoke, his voice was like a far-off storm, which rumbled in the distance: "Your raven has told me everything. Thanks to your warning, we will be prepared for Valter and his cutthroats! These outlaws are a danger to me and my folk, and will be driven from Wilderland. Tonight, you shall sleep in my hall, for we leave for battle at dawn! Rest now - I've a number of messengers I must send to the nearby settlements and outposts."

Annungil marched like he had never marched before. He carried less armor and weapons than he had with Minas Tirith, but he had been a messenger rider once he established himself. Less marching and certainly never in such urgency. He had always been sent ahead on horseback in these circumstances, but the mindset was the same. He shifted the shield to his back and strapped the sword sheath to it so that it would not get in his way.

Foot by foot, he pushed on through the landscape, first through the rougher terrain, and then the gentler landscape of the Beorning territory. It was hard and he took a few minor injuries and scrapes from exhaustion induced missteps, but he had forged through. In the village, he stayed quiet, trying to catch his breath before the next part of the forced march until they reached Beorn's House.

Annungil gave a nod as Beorn spoke. He was in no hurry to march all the way back, but that was the nature of the situation. "Gladly, Lord Beorn. Oderic has spoken of his intention in where he plans to lead Valter, through something he called Gloomy Fold."

The young man straightened himself up as best as he could. "It would provide a tactical advantage and could help save the lives of our comrades by holding the enemy in place to prevent them from attacking our flank. I know little of the land beyond what he described, but such information could be vital to our defense."

Nori seems hesitant to speak in front of Beorn, but slowly makes his way to the front of the group as the present themselves before him and listen to his plan. He has heard the tales of Beorn's distrust and dislike for dwarves, but the circumstances seem - at least to Nori - worthy of setting aside those decisions to address the imminent threat. "And should you need more messengers, Lord Beorn, Hunir here would be happy to deliver them. He's a simple bird with a simple tongue, but he'll get the job done should you wish it," Nori states in quick succession after Annungil has spoken. "But you have my hammer this evening should you need anything readied... and my axe come the morn," the dwarf then adds with a deep nod of the head - his eyes unflinching towards Beorn.

Ingi had, as all the company, pushed himself to the limit on the return march. While on the stonyford leg of the journey his skills had served him well, exhaustion caught up with him on the way to Beorns and although the terrain was easy he found himself slipping and stumbling. Munir, who had been happy to be reunited, did not seem well pleased with this newfound clumsyness and after a few jolt and ruffled feathers elected to travel much of the journey under his own wing.

Ingi had little to add in the discussions, unaccustomed to battle outside lore and legend. Instead he let the warmth of Beorns homestead wash over him and tried to revitalise himself as much as possible for the long days and nights that were no doubt to come.

"No Willifred, the invaders march from the south towards the fold itself in order to cross the river. They have been led astray about the fold, but their confusion will only be temporary. I do not wish to meet them after we have marched hard.

We make for the foothills to the West, towards Mountain Hall. Valtar's men will have bypassed us, crossed the fold, and then marched south. By the time they follow our tracks West, they will be hungry and tired. We have hunted this area for many years. We will use our knowledge of the heights to slow them further, the narrow canyons and trails to force them to fight us a few at a time, and we will do so knowing that the Misty Mountains and our allies at Mountain Hall are securing our backs. From there we can hold them long enough for Beorn to come to our aid.

And even if things go badly we can make for Mountain Hall itself. My companions know we will head west. Beorn will look for us there."

Willifred listened to what Dahr-Ol suggested calmly, placing a hand against his forehead to survey the land south with his own eyes, as if expecting to see the invaders in the distance, finally putting his hand back on his spear. "Take ten men - I cant spare more - and go to Gloomy Fold, ensure there's plenty of boulders near the edge. There's not much time for pit traps, and the ground there is too hard, so I wouldnt bother. If we know they're going to be crossing there, then we shouldnt lose that advantage - and we likely will if you start skirmishing with them. We need every advantage we can get." He paused, expression grim, then continued: "I wouldnt count on being able to make it to Mountain Hall. We cant just leave everyone who evacuates, and its a week of travel."

Beorn nodded his great head to the companion's words: "Gloomy Fold? Very well. I know of it - as long as we know they'll be there, thats enough. As for your raven..." Beorn turned to look at Hunir for a moment, a bit more thoughtful than he'd been before. "...Send him and another to Woodmantown and Mountain Hall - if these bandits steer off the path we expect them to follow, more will suffer. Best be warned." As he speaks, the companions bear witness to Beorn's horses galloping off into the wilderness, rider-less - likely given task by their master to inform the other small households near his. Even after the companions settle in for the night, activity outside Beorn's home continues, with people being gathered from all over. In the morning, no small host greets their eyes - there is easily eighty warriors there. At their head stands a woman who leans on her spear - Ragnar's mother, Ava. "I have been given command of the force, and am to lead it to Gloomy Fold." She repeats to anyone who asks. Her resolution is very clear on her face, though she may have shifted more of her grief into anger than she should have. "Father will look after Ragnar - I need to fulfill my duty." The army's march to Gloomy Fold takes close to a day if the companions follow them, or about half should they go themselves. When the Beornings arrive, Gloomy Fold is still empty of Valter's forces, and Ava commands the troops to conceal themselves without entering the canyon. Beorn is nowhere to be seen, even when the first of the thugs begin to enter the canyon, with Valter riding a horse in the middle of the group. Clouds gather overhead, as if sensing that battle is about to be joined...

Dahr-OL looked over the gathered Beornings. Willifred was right. He could not fight a running war in the hills with the old and infirm.

"I agree, Willifred.

I need ten volunteers! We run to the Fold, we will rain boulder and spear upon our enemies! We will charge them Beorn's toll in their own blood! We will protect our own until Beorn brings us aid. Who is with me?!"

When the ten are assembled Dahr-Ol bid his mother safe journey and told her not to worry. He would make her and father proud. Turning he led the war band to the Fold at quick jog.