Year 2949: Kinstrife and Dark Tidings

Vladim

As Oderic spoke first about the folk of Stonyford, Idunn realized that the boy did not fully comprehend how they felt about the tragedy. Nor did he understand his chieftain, Beorn, if he thought that he would be executed. The huntress gathered all her wits about her in a desperate attempt to change the stubborn boy’s opinion.

’Not only Helmgut. The entire village is in mourning, and many, I think, understand the tragedy that has befallen you and Brynhild, even if they lack knowledge of all the details. Even Ethal had a kind word to spare, and that is saying something.

You say that only Beorn’s axe awaits you if you return. I say you are wrong. The kin-slaying was an accident – this I can clearly see, now that all the pieces have fallen into place. The Bear-lord would understand this. I would speak for you. I am of the blood of Merovech. I swore an oath of vengeance in Beorn’s presence. And I promised to find you and return you to him. But I would stand by you, not against you, despite my own loss. That would likely move Beorn; perhaps even those few that hate you still. Your situation is not as hopeless as you think it is.’

As Oderic spoke on, revealing his plan, Idunn’s heart grew dark. The news of the Dwimmerhorn reappearing certainly alarmed her: that accursed, haunted place was always an ill-omen for her folk at Mountain-Hall. Could it mean that the Necromancer had returned, so soon after his banishment from Dol Guldur? Idunn could not say, but of one thing she was certain: they had to send a raven to Radagast as well, and they had to warn Hartfast of Mountain-Hall, before it was too late. But they had more pressing concerns now: Valter’s men. Idunn could do little but try to dissuade the boy from his foolish plan.

’Truly you think that Valter would not suspect you, should you lead his men through the orc-infested swamps of the Gladden? Do you take him for a fool then? He is an evil man, and has other means at his disposal. Are you confident that you would not falter, even under torture? Re-think your plan carefully! We can all return to Stonyford now, and make what preparations we can in the time is left.’

As Nori appeared suddenly, Oderic readied his sword before Idunn could warn the boy that the dwarf was a friend.

[OOC: I’d like to invoke Forthright to auto-succeed on a Persuade check to convince Oderic that he has a chance with Beorn, if Idunn speaks for him.]

Dahr-Ol huffed and pawed the ground as he watched Valtar's men. They were drunken dullards without the good sense to be wary in the woods. He longed to charge in and scatter their camp. But other duties called.

Dahr-Ol bumped his companion gently and gestured back towards his body. Moving off quickly he resumed his human form and looked about for Oderic and the others.

"Oderic, despite the circumstances, it is good to see you alive. Brynhilde misses you. All is not lost to you."

With Faron out cold and looking to remain that way for sometime, Nori leaves him be. It would likely be louder dragging him through the woods than to risk leaving him quietly lying there. Resting his axe upon his shoulder, Nori turns to follow the Beorning - a perplexed look on the dwarf's face as he studies the man from behind. Never before had he seen a shapeshifter and many questions ran through Nori's mind given what he saw. So it was probably no surprise to anyone that Nori seemed a bit confused, but not angered when he came upon the rest of the group and Oderic reaching for his sword. For all he knew, the young man was still startled and suspicious of the group. Stopping at the outside of the circle, Nori looks between his gathered comrades with his eyes eventually falling on Gramtyng. "What did you tell him?" he asks is a hushed, burn concerned tone.

Ingi, while remaining poised to defend Nori in case all should go wrong, joined the whispered chorus of "He is a friend" while carefully watching Oderics stance. Taking advantage of the lull in conversation he began "Time is short but there are a few things that we must weigh here. Oderic - is your route known to Valter - is it agreed with him ? As Idunn says he is no fool but if it has already been discussed..." pausing he added "Think carefully Oderic, for previously it seems you only sought an end to this entanglement but now there are options, your life holds value. It may be worthwhile to risk it, but not to throw it away..."

Annungil leaned forward, considering. This was a situation of strategy and tactics, in far less than ideal conditions. He sketched out what little he knew of the situation and geography. "Leading them through the Gladden has wisdom in the plan, but also great risk."

He gave Oderic a considering look. "I mistrust orcs to give aid in such a circumstance. Men and orcs have made alliance in days past and there are men in the south who made alliance with the Enemy. I would not put it past Valter to attempt such a trick. Some foul arrangement that would serve ill for all."

Annungil fingered the hilt of his sword and mused more. "If we had a company of archers who knew the terrain, perhaps..." An idea tweaked the edge of his mind.

"How long can you delay them in the Gladden and on the march to Stoneyford? Perhaps we can gather a small contingent of archers from the nearby Beorning steadings and harry them on the march."

Dahr-Ol looked at Annungil,

"Not many of my people take naturally to the bow. We prefer our spears and our claws. However, our neighbors in the forests and the mountains possess such skills.

If I were to bear a token from Idunn to them and beg our need, they might be able to meet us near Stoneyford in time to lay an ambush. I would have to leave now and I'm not sure there is enough time left for me to arrive there tonight. There is also no guarantee they would understand my request.

Idunn, can any of your people read and write?"

Oderic sheathed Merovech's sword with a quiet 'click' at the assuranced that Nori was a friend, and nodded with a somewhat dark look to the approaching Dahr-Ol. "You have to understand it is... Surprising to hear." He finally spoke, replying to Idunn. "I've never been... Well, thats in the past. Thank you for offering to stand up for me. It means a lot, really, but... Well, we'll see. It would be better, one way or another, to disappear. Especially if my father misses me." The Beorning concluded with a gloomy but determined tone; to Ingi, it didnt seem like he wished to simply spite Helmgut nor had he seemed suicidal, but instead simply didnt care - or cared about a different thing than his life. "Valter would suspect me." He stated flatly. "Who wouldnt, when I would tell them the best way to go north is to head south? Many of his men, in my presence, advised him to torture me for answers. He instead chose to convince me... And blind fool that I am, I almost allowed myself to be convinced. Evil man or not, perhaps he truly is a great leader. But that doesnt matter. As for the plan." Oderic picked up a branch and began scrawling on the ground. "The Anduin is far too quick here." He tapped and traced the length of the river between Stoneyford and the woods where they were presently. "There is a broken down ford near Stoneyford for which it is named - but crossing with a small group is one thing, and crossing with a small army is another. Valter is an evil man, but he wouldnt underestimate how many he will lose here - and as your friend said, he needs as much as he can get to keep going to other settlements. And then there's Dale... Which he cannot take by himself."

He circled the area near Gladden: "Here is the next ford. The river slows here because of the marshes, and though treacherous, it is still not crossing while being attacked by Beornings. That is why I think he will listen to me. He expects this sort of thing from me. And if he tortures me, well, I'll simply bite my tongue off." Erasing the drawing with his foot, Oderic turned to Ingi and Annungil, listening to their advice, though he seemed conflicted about some of what they said. "Valter has yet to convince me to do this. If I agree, he will be happy about it, I am certain." He even gave a half-smile at Ingi's next few words and nodded: "I know it does but... There are things I have to do, and sometimes, these things have more value, to me. Its worth the risk. I wouldnt trust orcs on anything, either, but even slowing the foes down with the marshes - and hopefully a few drown - has value. Every drowned soldier is one less blade pointed at my people. I can give you... maybe an extra day." Frowned Oderic. "Perhaps a little more, or a little less. Archers though... Dont know. And thank you, Dahr-Ol." He bowed his head slightly to the other Beorning. "She... Misses me?" The exile raised an eyebrow. "Well, I know that. I miss her as well. But... wait. What did she tell you, exactly? Did she ask you to say that? What was it, word for word?!" Oderic sounded panicked, from out of nowhere, over such a simple thing.

Annungil's Battle Roll

Stoneyford has no chance on its own. This is a hundred well armed, ruthless men who are lead by an intelligent and charismatic leader who may or may not have a legitimate claim to the throne of Dale. Stoneyford could field perhaps forty or fifty Beornings, if they were to arm the women and near-adult youngsters. Not to mention, it is not defensible in the least - it would be a slaughter. There must be reinforcements in some way, a change of terrain, Beorn himself... Anything would help. But right now, things look grim.

Dahr-Ol turned to Oderic,

"She told us about the dark moods that fell over Rathfic. How you only defended her from his drunken rage. She told us that you slew the orcs to avenge Merovech and would have slain them all had the others not run.

She told us and I quote, "Find my brother. Tell him I asked him to return... and if he will not, I will go myself. Tell him this, and he will understand. Please.

Oderic do not give her reason to carry out her threat and come to find you herself. Not to this place, not with these men around."

Idunn listened to what the boy had to say, and with each word her frustration grew. ’Bite his tongue off?’ she thought upon hearing Oderic say this. She did not believe any man could do this, and certainly not this boy, who was probably younger than her even. ’This is folly!’ she muttered under her breath, just loudly enough so that others – perhaps even Oderic – could hear it, but also quietly enough so as not to disrupt the conversation.

The Woodmen, who lived closest to the dungeons of Dol Guldur, knew better than anyone just how terrible the power of torture was. For countless Men had languished in the dungeons of the Necromancer, and even those that had survived the ordeal physically had nevertheless been broken in spirit. She remembered Berengar, the mad old hermit they had met inside Mirkwood, and she remembered Mogdred. The lord of Tyrant’s Hill had not been broken, perhaps, but he had become cruel and orc-like in his dealings. This boy would not last a hundredth of what the prisoners of Dol Guldur had to endure before he would break.

But Idunn said no more. For Dahr-Ol now spoke of Brynhild, and that seemed to give Oderic pause. Perhaps his mind could still be swayed.

The huntress let her companions speak, but her impatience grew. They did not have an abundance of time to parlay thusly before Valter would force their hand, and she did not wish to give up the hard-earned initiative they had gained through skill, circumstance and good fortune. She looked as far as she could in the woods, and tried to discern any noise or other sign indicating that Valter's men could be coming.

[OOC: Awareness roll in the dice thread to determine if we are in potential danger - as this discussion seems to have gone on for at least several minutes in-game by now. If inappropriate, please ignore!]

Annungil considered for several moments before shaking his head. "We must go with the plan you speak, Oderic. For we have no other means of defending the town or leading Valter astray. But come now, we must hurry and away."

He was also starting to itch with the uneasiness of the situation. As easily as they had snuck in, others could be stalking them from the same woods. While he was confident in his skill in battle, he had no desire to try his mettle against a hundred men. Annungil was not a name to be named in the list in the great champions of Gondor or Arnor. No, he had been a messenger and infantry soldier.

Besides, he was trained in formation fighting and sieges. Not individual fights against larger enemies in a wood. If he had a company with him, then surely they could take these renegades and outlaws, but not like this.

Oderic grew more and more pale as Dahr-Ol spoke, sinking down onto a fallen log nearby, deeply shocked. "She promised." He muttered. "She said she'd would keep her silence!" The companions may have spoken to him, but Oderic seemed to have heard and seen nothing, muttering to himself, then rising to his feet, his face darker still than before. "Change of plans." He announced. "I wouldnt have minded dying before, though I'd still avoid it. I can no longer afford to. Those words specifically are a message, from her tome, that she intends to break our agreement. I cannot let her do that... But I cant just let her - all of them - die. After all, if they die then its all pointless..." He sharply turned to Anningil, putting his hands together in a gesture of forgiveness: "I am sorry. I can no longer offer to guide them through Gladden. The waters there have a dead end, and would have claimed them; there is a narrow passage through which I intended to escape but I am not certain if I can locate it." He looked towards the camp. "Instead, I offer this. They're drinking a lot of wine tonight, out of just two barrels. Its very much watered down - so what if it was spiked instead? Valter would surely delay the assault, and the voyage would be slow."

"Poison? Like they were rats? I'm not convinced Beorn would approve. He is pragmatic, but his sense of honor might be offended.

And why would we only feed them enough to slow them?" Dahr-Ol asked genuinely confused by Oderic's plan.

When Oderic finished speaking, Idunn remained silent and listened as Dahr-Ol expressed his concern. In vain she had tried to change the kinslayer’s mind before, but Dahr-Ol’s words had succeeded where hers had failed. She thought she had pieced together the riddle of the kinslaying, but she was not as certain anymore. Whatever Brynhild had agreed to, Oderic did not reveal, but the huntress thought that there was more to it that what the boy had already explained. The lack of information frustrated her, but she knew that they were pressed for time.

’I do not understand why you would care if the truth about Rathfic were to be known,’ Idunn said gruffly, ’nor do I know of your agreement with Brynhild. I wish that you would speak the truth plainly! Stonyford will find itself in great peril, and many may die. This is no time for lies!’

She turned to Dahr-Ol, and tried to explain that Oderic was not likely referring to poison. ’You are correct, I believe, in saying that Beorn’s honour would be offended. So would mine, for that matter – we are all Free Peoples here, not orcs of Mirkwood! Yet I believe that Oderic was not speaking of poison; we would only need to make their drink stronger. A risky plan, but one that may work…’

She turned to Oderic again, and urged him to say all he knew. ’There is no time to spare. Do you know if we can reach their supplies unseen? For if any of us was to be spotted, surely Valter would raise the alarm.’

Apparently having stayed quiet enough, Nori finally speaks up as Idunn calls for action. Looking to the Woodswoman first, Nori tells her with a pained smile, "Give the boy a chance." He clearly understands the urgency of it all, but seems to be stressing some degree of patience. Turning his attention to Oderic, the dwarf follows his statement with, "We all... well, most of us at least... know the struggles of having too much to drink. It's a good plan... a slow, arduous trek where they'll be in no shape to do much of anything even once they've arrived." Nori gives Oderic a singular, firm nod of agreement. "But tell me lad... what have you got that will make it more potent if it's as watered down as you say it is?"

Idunn turned to Nori and remarked: 'I *am* giving the boy a chance.' Then, turning to Oderic, she added: 'But I hope, for your sake and Stonyford's, that you are not holding back any information.'

Then, not waiting for Oderic's response, she added one more to the questions that were spoken: 'Where does Valter intend to ford the Anduin, if not the Gladden? There is no crossing for miles, and I doubt that the folk of Stonyford would lend him their rafts. Will he head to the Old Ford, then?

If so, then there is hope yet: for Beorn's homestead is not far from the Old Ford, and if we could send a raven to alert him, then perhaps he could intercept the army there, when it is at its most vulnerable.'