Year 2949: Kinstrife and Dark Tidings

Vladim

’I thank you for your welcome then, Master Willifred.’ Idunn said, adding just moments later: ’Perhaps on someday not long from now, we shall meet under better circumstances, and break bread and drink mead and make merry together… but we have a kin-slayer to catch first. We wil not trouble your village for long.’

With those words, she stepped into the village, with her comrades by her side. Now she enumerated all the tasks that were before them: people to speak to, places to investigate, and provisions to restock. She did not wish to linger here, not while Oderic was on the loose, and every hour they spent here made his escape more likely. She placed her hand on her hot-tempered dwarven companion’s shoulder in a friendly manner, and urged him towards some path of action.

’Most of us have not forgotten the festival, Master Nori’ she said, ’and even this Willifred would remember it, had he been here two years ago, and had he been less distressed now. But I for one remember how you won handily, not only in the Seeking Field, but also in the Ancient Game. You have an eye for hidden things and a mind for solving riddles… and perhaps there are such things lurking still where Oderic once lived. Of all of us, you are best suited for this task, I think.’

She then turned to the others: ’I say we split up, to save time and return to the pursuit as swiftly as we can. Lord Beorn willed it that we leave our horses here, so any time saved is precious. Some of us should speak to Rathfic’s widow… as for myself, I wish to seek out lady Ethal. Her manners may be lacking, but she has keen eyes, and I doubt that anything goes unseen by them in this small village. What do you all say?’

OOC

As briefly mentioned on Discord, I suggest we split up to cover more ground faster. Probably the most obvious things to do are to:
1. Talk to Rathfic’s widow.
2. Investigate Oderic’s house (@Jewdebega: I just proposed Nori for this task given his proven ability with Search / Riddle, but feel free to reject this).
3. Talk to other key NPCs e.g. Hartwulf etc. I want to have Idunn talk to Ethal the Unkind, given that she has keen eyes and in a previous adventure she noticed a lot of useful info. I’ll roll for it in the dice thread.

After the encounter with Willifred, Fundor talks with his companions about how each one can try to find.

"I'll go and see Old Theo, an old man I met last time I came here. Despite his age, he has a good memory and I'll ask him what he knows of a hiding places in the vicinity where Edoric might have found shelter. I'll also check at the river pontoon if anyone has seen Oderic or is any boat is missing."

Ingi spoke softly to the company "I feel I will be of no use in talking to the people here, and perhaps even a hinderance. I would say the best service I can do for the company is join Nori, if he will have me as a second set of eyes in inspecting the house of Oderic. And if Fundor will wait for me I can perhaps be of use at the pontoon to see if I can convince at least the river to tell me some of its secrets regarding our friends final journey".

Willifred seems to have diffused the dwarf by mildly acknowledging him. Nori does not seemed overly pleased with the outcome, but the anger in the dwarf seems to turn from flames to a smoldering ember, especially as Idunn’s words begin to ring in his ears and her touch causes his tense shoulders to droop almost instantly. His eyes still locked on Willifred’s face, Nori begins to turn away from him slowly and eventually bring his attention to the Woodswoman. Looking up at her with less stern eyes – almost apologetic – he nods his head quickly a few times before lowering his view to her midsection and then looking around her at nothing in particular.

“I’ll do as you suggest,” the dwarf says, seeming to find some sense in what she says. If anything, it would give the dwarf time to simmer and cool away from the display. “If anything, it will give my back a rest carrying this bloated bird around,” he murmurs, tilting his head in Hunir direction quickly. Hunir, understanding Nori and having the relationship that they do, quickly pecks at the back of the dwarf’s head, causing Nori to wince in pain. The dwarf accepts the comeback, not lashing out at the bird, but instead sallying-forth around Idunn, a new focus and task at hand.

Willifred listens to Dahr-Ol's questions with a frown, moving his gaze to Annungil for a moment, thinking before he replied. The ordeal seems to have placed a great deal of weight upon his shoulders - perhaps it was to blame for his inhospitable words before. "No." Willifred scratched at his beard. "None of his family really cared for money. Helmgut, his adoptive father, had given up drinking ever since he took in Oderic - was a big moment in his life, finding the lad and saving him from bandits that killed his family. Swore off the drink and settled down; had Brunhilde the same year, though his wife died in childbirth... He's a good man but now..." He shook his head. "I dont blame him. Cant blame him. Money is... not really much of a matter for us. Even Oderic, for all the murderous scum he is - wanted a pair of nice iron-sole boots from Laketown, traded for them with the merchant. Honestly, Dahr-Ol... And you, Annungil of Gondor. If today you came up to me and told me Oderic was a murderer..." Something dark glinted in the man's eyes for a moment, but then he shook his head. "I saw him grow up; even before Beorn took us all in. Never would have seen him for a murderer."

spacer.pngspacer.pngThe first thing visible about Ethal was how pale she'd been. The usually stern woman, who could cut with words as well as daggers now simply saw at her home, staring out the window, with her kitting almost untouched in front of her. It took some time for Idunn, Gramtyng, and Belgo to distract her from what was a nearly unconscious state, in which she paid attention to nothing and no one. She spoke very little, uncharacteristically for her; she did not want to talk at all. According to Ethal, nothing indicated anything of import before Rathfic was killed, and there wasnt anything special to discuss about this tragedy; that being nosy about grief was impolite. [Roll Insight or Riddle @Vladim]

Old Theo is similarly not very responsive, though his grief is far more visible. Wordlessly, he showed Fundor a collection of carvings - small animals, a head of a bear; some very crudely crafted, others very well done, though not quite on Geral's level of craftsmanship. The old man speaks very little, as is his custom; he pauses now and again to wipe a tear from the corner of his eye. In short, there are no places for Oderic to hide nearby; the entire area has been very well explored by the Beornings and any hunter or tracker worth anything would find the boy if he was lying in wait here; though he had no reason to, of course. As the conversation goes on he responds less and less.

At Oderic's small cottage, Nori and Ingi had been looking for something - anything - that would suggest a direction Oderic had left in, or why he'd even set off in the direction of Stoneyford. The cottage had been quite dusty - quite a few days had gone by, after all; so it was easy to see where the door was opened and dragged the dust out of the way. Half a muddy track near the fireplace left a very vivid impression of a iron-soled boot - the sort that none of the beornings wore.

Finding Ethal in poor spirits, Idunn was nonetheless undeterred, and insisted stubbornly when she refused to speak.

'We are not being nosy!' she exclaimed at one point, 'we are only trying to learn all that there is to be known about what happened, and any information could prove critical! Oderic had the chance to escape to the North, to Viglund's lands, and from there he could have continued to Lake-Town or Dale. Surely there he could hide amongst the Bardlings easily, with little fear of being found out. But his tracks indicate that he is moving south, and if we cannot know why, then we cannot understand what *exactly* happened. Something else may be at play!'

But despite her pleading, Ethal seemed unmoved, and so Idunn stood and pondered, now beginning to question if the time spent with this woman was not better spent with speaking to Rathfic's widow, or Oderic's foster-father.

"I agree, I could not have imagined such times as these either. Three dead, two from Stoneyford and the suspicion resting on one of our own. Annungil and I will be talking to Rathfic's wife should you need us for anything. Has she stayed in their home or gone back to live in her father's hut?"

Old Theo wasn't of much help, still Fundor knows that there is no much spot to hide. That means that either Oderic is still in the village, or has already quit.

Fundor looks for Ingi and tells him of the old man answers. "If you want, i'm going now to the pontoon in order to check if Oderic may have quit the village by using a boat."

At the pontoon, Fundor and Ingi ask questions to the fishermen and to the ferry driver :
"Hello, men of the river. I'm Fundor, son of Thrar and here is Ingi, son of Isolf of far Laketown. As you may remember, I was here 2 years ago for the Festival of the Moon, when Beorn's sickle was stolen by Viglunding men. I'm back here with my friends as requested by your Lord Beorn, in order to help finding Oderic and sending him back for judgment. Oderic has escaped and his tracks show him going back to Stoneford. Maybe you can help finding him as we have few questions, if you don't mind."

"Has any of you seen Oderic recently or heard of him passing through here ?"
"Also, is there any missing or stolen boat that might indicate that Oderic has quit by the river way ?

Annungil was quiet as he followed Dahr-Ol, a frown etched across his features and his eyes distant as he listened. They gleamed, but in the distance. He bowed with Wilifred's greeting.

"Indeed," the man murmured. "Long has it been 'ere my people returned from across the sea and longer still since they sailed West, but before that, we were kin." His eyes flashed at the thought and a faint smile flickered across it before returning to the present. "May the time come when we can renew that kinship of Men, as we have strengthened the bond that lies between my people and those of the Rohirrim."

He listened again as Wilifred spoke, while his hand hung lightly where the hilt of his blade usually hung. "The Viglundings? I have heard my companions speak of them, though we know nought of these people in the South. Have they ranged further South in recent days, for I was of the mind that they dwelled to the North of Beorn's lands."

Pausing, he clasped his fingers together beneath his chin for a moment. "Should a proper battle take place here, as you seem to desire, I would be glad to offer my sword and shield in the defense of your home, after this... riddle is unraveled."

Annungil's voice flattened as he spoke of the more pressing issues, addressing Dahr-Ol. "This is a riddle the likes of which I have little skill with, for my life before was of sword-craft and battle, songs and lore, not intrigues and subtlety, though there is much of it that lies within the long pasts of my people. If I have learned anything from the history of my people, it is that the ways of the enemy are deceitful and ever he seeks to arouse strife within those who would stand against him."

His eyes swept the horizon once more as if seeking for something just beyond the edge of the land. "Such a matter as this could be a matter of the Shadow's doing, to weaken the trust of your people. We must be wary and not over hasty to rush to judgment on things which we know little about. I fear walking into an ambush of our own devising for fear of what might be."

Upon entering the cottage, Nori physically “suggests” Hunir perch on the table to ease the strain on his back and allow him to examine the abode more easily. It is a small dwelling, so the search does not lend itself to an extensive gander, but when the dwarf spots the fresh, muddy footprint on the otherwise dusty floor, he squats down near it.

Nori pinches some of the mud between his left thumb and middle finger before rubbing his digits together, trying to judge the dryness of the mud and guess how long the footprint has been there. The noting that the footprint came from a boot of iron, he considers their relative location and contemplates what kind of man would have been in the cabin that would have worn such a shoe. Surely, not one of Beorn’s people and unlikely a Woodman. Would some have traveled this far north from the southern lands? Could it be a fellow dwarf?

Nori lets out a deep, dissatisfied “Hmmm…” as he contemplates this new evidence.

Willifred nodded in response to Dahr-Ol's question: "Brynhild continues to live in Rathfic's house; though... You'll likely not find her there. She spends most of her time at the old graveyard, where Rathfic is buried, mourning. Cant say I blame her..." The man shook his head. "Helmgut is... Well, he's dealing with grief in his own way, like I said I cant blame him - but living with him is the last thing she wants, most likely."

He grunted in appreciation of Annungil's words: "I hope your words ring true in the future, son of Gondor. The Free Folk have no time to squabble among themselves when the Shadow lies on the doorstep." He cast a grim look in the direction of Mirkwood, his meaning evident. "Orcs, evil men, wolves, wargs, spiders..." he sighed. "We've got our hands full without internal strife."

Ethal was clearly hiding something - that much was plain as day to Idunn. But what could have made the stern, sharp-tongued woman who made it her business to say the truth no matter how much it hurt others be like this? It didnt seem like they were going to get anything out of her anytime soon. As Idunn deliberated what to do, Gramtyng whispered something to Belgo, and the boy stayed behind, shyly offering to help the woman out around the house - it did seem like she'd been neglecting her duties for a few days. This small act of kindness seemed to have moved something within the woman's heart, and she finally sighed: "There are no secrets to me. The folk here call me 'The Unkind', as they rightly should. There are many things I've said which added to that reputation. But I wont touch another's. Some things are just too heartbreaking to say. I cannot tell you anything... I have no right to do so, nor any choice. I will only tell you that Oderic would never have harmed your cousin or Odo; nor would he be in league with orcs. That, I would swear on my life, Idunn of Mountain Hall."

spacer.pngThe Beorning fishermen respond to Fundor's questions - one of them gets up off the dock where he'd been sitting and passes his fishing rod to the man near him, stretching as he walks over to the dwarf. "Boats, was it? I remember you, Fundor, son of Thrar, and I trust your companion is a respectable man. Your words are true: we are missing a boat. Oderic... I dont think he's a thieving sort - but the rope was untied cleanly, not cut, and not many in this village know my knots except for the few fishermen and Oderic himself. When he'd been a child he spent quite a lot of time here - said the river calmed him. Poor kid... To go so wrong... How did it even happen?" The Gerlod's brows furrowed as he shook his massive head. "Wasnt even one to kill a rabbit. Kids laughed at him because he couldnt stand the sight of blood for the longest time... And him, a murderer? What's the world come to..." He sat down with a sigh, uncharacteristically thoughtful. "You said you had some questions?" He finally replied.

As Nori contemplates this evidence, he recalls a very brief few words that Dahr-Ol said about Beornings wearing boots of their own making, and that anything else was a rarity... Such boots likely came from Laketown or Dale; and were traded for by someone in the village. Of course, seeing as how such boots were rare for a Beorning to wear, almost anyone in the village would tell him who was their owner.

"Helmgut must be out of his mind with grief and rage. He was proud of the union of Brynhild and Rathfic. To have things end like this.... We will look for Brynhild at the grave yard.

Annungil, we should probably approach Helmgut early in the morning on the morrow, if he has taken to drink."

Ethal's response did little to temper Idunn's frustration, and the huntress furrowed her brow when the Beorning woman finished speaking. Ethal could believe in what she said as genuinely as she professed, but that did not make it true. Still, her words were not to be dismissed entirely, but the Woodswoman was skeptical.

'Your eyes may be keen,' she said, 'but even you cannot know the entire story.' And upon saying that, she recounted what they found in the boat, with all the clues that Oderic had left behind, as well as their encounter with the Bear-Lord.

She concluded: 'Even if Oderic is not a murderer, he remains a coward and a thief. He could have stood by the thanes, but he chose to flee and save his hide. That alone should make him guilty enough in the eyes of your lord. But we will get to the bottom of this with your help or without it.'

Then she turned to her companion, Gramtyng, and sought to consult him on what to do next. 'We will not get much more off her,' she said, 'even if we were to ply it out of her with pliers. We should rejoin our companions - unless you have another idea.'

[OOC: Sorry - still abroad but happy to follow along!]

"I'll be honest, Idunn." Gramtyng scratched the back of his head in confusion. "There's a lot of people who expressed doubt this kid is a murderer... And they knew him a lot more than we did. Not saying he isnt... But we should look into this more before accepting that or treating him as a criminal." He paused, frowning when another thought came to him: "The silver purse... I cant really explain that. It could be that he was insulted by the accusations and lack of faith. Something about how he was treated? There's no real reason for him to return this way, and we KNOW he did. I think Ethal know the reason why, but what... She was crying." The bard shook his head: "Just adds to my thought that something far more tragic happened. Whats worse than murder, do you think? I think 'false accusation'; though I have no idea why she wont say a thing - but maybe his father will." In general, Gramtyng understood why his friend was frustrated - but he thought that her irritation was clouding her sight, and he tried to be as gentle as he could when pointing it out. Two thanes transport a boy whom nobody believes to be a murderer but was given to the thanes as one anyway. They are ambushed by goblins on Beorn's doorstep, and the boy, instead of fleeing, kills the goblins and returns to the place he'd killed? Except he's not there anymore. If he wanted to steal, why didnt he take the bear pins, which would be far more valuable? If he wanted justice, why didnt he go directly to Beorn? If he was a coward, why didnt he simply run from the goblins? Nothing added up.