Year 2949: Kinstrife and Dark Tidings

Vladim

Nori eyes the pile of firewood that the old man motions towards, noting that it is a sizeable amount - enough to last the man quite some time before. But then something in the statement dawns on him. He starts to wander around the immediate area as if inspecting it, allowing Idunn to introduce herself and ask about the news from Stonyford.

When the old man has given his answer, Nori adds, "We'll show our appreciation for your hospitality as best we can... but let me ask you, Geral..." Nori stops his pacing and looks square at the man's face, his eyes narrowing in a show of confusion. "... how do you get by out here all on your own?"

Geral nodded to Dahr-Ol: "The same. I dont visit Stoneyford, but I remember Helmgut well - was a very determined young man when he'd first come here. Not very friendly to strangers... But back then, it was everyone for themselves... Was expected." The old man smiled briefly, recalling those years: "Still, he's a good man. Always did try to send hunters here for me to trade with." He gestured to the pile of wood with his cane: "Sometimes they cut up firewood, sometimes they bring some food or cloth... I trade them my own crafts, master dwarf. Used to be, they sent boys up here to apprentice with me, but those days are long gone. They've their own apprentices, now." He took out a small, very lifelike, carving of a bear from his sleeve and handed it to Nori: "Have a look."

Only now did the old man seem to process the words Idunn had said and worry creased his face, as he turned to her: "A murder? Nay... Nobody stopped by apart from Oderic... And he'd come from the other direction, so he likely didnt know." Grief was visibly written on Geral's features - after all, with a small community, the deceased was likely someone he knew, or at least spoke with on some occasion... "Did they say who...?"

After the conversation is done...

spacer.pngPart 4: Kinstrife
The rest of the journey to Stoneyford is an unremarkable one. With the odd goblin raid driven from Beorn's lands, and taking the path laid out by a skilled guide, the trek is a simple one. What awaits at the end, however, is grim. Why had Oderic gone south? To turn himself in for the murder of Rathfic? While these questions still stood, there wasnt anyone to answer them, and Belgo had taken to looking around with interest: after all, everything was interesting to a youth who'd barely stopped being a child. There has not been a ford at Stoneyford for hundreds of
years. The river was passable here once, but no longer; the tumbledown pile of stones atop a low hill were once a watchtower that guarded the road in a time when kings ruled the land. The village remains, though; a few wooden
huts that cluster around the foot of the mound by the river. The folk here survive by fishing and hunting, as they
have done for many generations. The trail of the escaped prisoner leads to this village, and the circumstances
behind his crimes will be discovered here. The villagers spot the group long before they arrive, and the village’s elders come out to meet you. The Beornings do not welcome visitors to their lands with ease, so, apart from Dahr-Ol, the company must convince the elders to let them enter the village.

spacer.pngspacer.pngThe two Beornings who face the company are: Hartwulf, a greybeard who leans heavily upon a staff, and mumbles when he talks. The villagers call him their wiseman, and believe he knows all sorts of magical secrets – but who knows what he means when he mutters to himself. He is Ava's father, and Ragnar's grandfather; in Ava's absence, he resumes his role as the clan's diplomat and spokesman when trading and dealing with outsiders. The second man is Williferd, a warrior; he isnt quite as skilled as Rathfic nor as physically powerful as Gerlod, but he is far more cunning that the large man while still being strong, and Rathfic... Is no longer here to lay claim to the title of 'most skilled'. The man, who is usually focused and cautious, is even more so now, jumpy and nervous; his rivalry with Rathfic had been ongoing ever since the man arrived to Stoneyford, but to simply lose someone whose superiority urged you on like that must have been quite a blow. This new honor doesnt seem to sit well with him, and he keeps one hand on his axe-handle at all times.

Dahr-Ol

You know both of these people. Hartwulf is a good man, who used to lead before Ava became Thane, and he willingly stepped down. He loves stories and telling them - usually, kids follow him around and ask him to tell them another story; he is quite skilled as a storyteller and spends most of his days this way. Willifred is... An intense person. His competition with Rathfic was everything to him, always - Rathfic, however, showed little interest in competing, when he even was around - he was one who enjoyed hunting to the point of rarely being home. Willifred is a skilled warrior, but all his life he was overshadowed by people like Gerlod, who was by far the strongest, and Rathfic, who was the most skilled and efficient, though not very passionate about combat, or... anything, for that matter. When Merovech stopped by, he would sometimes spar with the man and praise his inventiveness - but he was the only one.

Interaction

This is a social encounter. You may roll Insight to attempt to gain Bonus Dice on the interaction.

As a slight modification from the original rules, I'm going to (at least for now) remove the 'spokesperson' mechanic. One person introducing the group successfully is enough to let everyone speak. You may still use Lore to see what roll is better as an Introduction roll (Awe, Courtesy, or Riddle). Afterwards, you may use any social roll you want to speak, while remembering that after each skill may only be used twice among the party. (Excluding the Introduction, Lore, and Bonus Dice Insight Rolls).

The Tolerance is set to 5. If 5 rolls are failed, you will be barred entry.

With Geral, outside his farmstead

If Idunn was suspicious about the old man’s role in this, then upon hearing his answer she was convinced that Geral was an unwitting participant in the crimes of this Oderic. She did not feel too keen to bring such grim tidings to the kindly old man, but it was her duty now. Besides, anything they could learn about their quarry would be of potential use.

’Rathfic of Stonyford was the man that was slain, master Geral,’ said Idunn grimly, hanging her head in sorrow, ’or so my kinsmen say.’ She paused to allow the cottar to digest the news – she did not want to overwhelm him, for she knew what was coming next… ’They say that this Oderic you spoke of was in fact the murderer: Rathfic caught him with his wife, and thus the two fought, and Oderic got the better of him.’

’Yet I do not think you knew this when you let him stay under your roof. Your words ring true to me. But we have a duty to Lord Beorn and the slain Thanes to track him down and bring him to justice now, and anything you could tell us could be of use. Do you remember anything strange or suspicious about this Oderic? It is strange that he would return to Stonyford, so soon after the murder… We suspect that something far darker is going on, yet we cannot say what it may be – not yet. But perhaps we could move inside and speak more of it, should you wish so.’

Inside the farmhouse

As soon as the company had settled around a table or a fire, Idunn begun outlining her theories both to her fellows and old master Geral. She was not satisfied with the explanation her kinsmen, the travelling Woodmen they had encountered on the road, had given her: their tale explained the murder of Rathfic, but the timing of the orc – attack was suspect still. Was this Oderic in league with the orcs of the Misty Mountains, or some greater power still? Had he struck some kind of dark deal with them, so that they would slay his captors and free him? And if so, then why had he turned on them? And why was he returning to Stonyford? These questions tormented her, and no matter how hard she tried, she could not come up with any good answer, not without any new information. Nevertheless, she absorbed everything that both Geral and Dahr-Ol (who knew the man, after all) told her, and lent her ear to any of her companions who had theories of their own.

At length the discussions around Oderic, the dead Thanes and the kinslaying in Stonyford were exhausted, and the company could turn their attention to other matters. To those who were interested, Idunn recounted her experience of the hunt with Beorn and his followers in great detail, and tried to answer their questions as best she could, now that they had a place to rest and recover. But she also had questions of her own: especially from the newcomers, Annugil and Dahr-Ol, who had news from other lands she was interested in…

[OOC: As Diofant said, let’s open a side-thread for the discussions in old Geral’s farmstead. I tried to keep this as open as possible, so more player-characters can join if they wish to; this doesn’t have to be a one-on-one between Idunn and Dahr-Ol, as there’s lots to discuss, if we want to. The thread is located here (LINK).]

Outside Stonyford

Idunn approached the men with apprehension. Their countenance suggested that what the Woodmen had told them, days earlier, was true. But Idunn knew Hartwulf, and he knew her: not just her, but also Gramtyng, and Nori, and Fundor and Dahr-Ol, and thus she thought that they would be welcomed here, even now that a cloud of heavy grief hung over the village.

’Hail Hartwulf of Stonyford,’ she begun, ’our paths meet again. Though I wish they would meet under better circumstances. For ill winds have carried the grim news of the kinslaying of Rathfic by Oderic, and we do not wish to trouble you and your folk in their grief.

But Lord Beorn himself has appointed us to track Oderic and return him: he has escaped my brother’s custody, I fear. I wish I were not the messenger, but more grim news I must bring you: that Thanes Merovech and Odo lie dead, and that perhaps Oderic had a hand in their killing, though it was orcs that did the bloody deed.’

[OOC: Invoking Forthright to auto-succeed at a Courtesy check here, by being direct and honest.]

Dahr-Ol stepped up beside Idunn, and drew himself to his full height. He had never asserted any sort of authority while living in the village and had certainly never vouched for the entry of strangers before. It was an odd feeling to speak thus to his elders. He spoke with what he hoped was confidence.

"Hartwulf, Willifred it is good to see you again. What Idunn says is true. Beorn himself has bidden us to find the truth of this matter. There have been two slayings on Beorning lands in less than a week. And Orcs were involved in the ambush that freed Oderic. Beorn was as angry as I have ever seen, we hunted last night and brought down ten of the filthy creatures. But Beorn has ordered that we must track Oderic and return him to Beorn to hear the full matter.

Annungil and Idunn have slain orcs beside me in defense of Beorning lands. The others are honorable, I will guaranty their behavior while we are in Stonyford.

Willifred, you knew Rathfic's skill better than any man alive here. How is it possible that young Oderic could have overpowered him in a fight? Were there any witnesses? Perhaps Rathfic's wife?"

When they arrive at Stonyford, Fundor remembers the last time he was there : it's in this village that he had met with Idunn and Nori. And also Hartwulf.

Fundor lets Idunn speaks for the company. Hartwulf knows several members of the company and probably remembers their previous deed to help Stonyford recover a stolen object. Even if the unknown warrior seems nervous, Fundor is confident on Hartwulf. Fundor only says a few words "Hello, Master Hartwulf. Here we meet anew, and again for a sad reason."

Nori takes up a stance on Fundor's right, his axe slung over his right shoulder, the blade on the head pointed down towards the ground. His helmet has been tilted back on his head so that his face is clearly exposed to those who look upon him and his left hand is pressed against his hip on the same side. He allows the others to express their condolences and inquire of the men about their suspicions. He seems comfortable with them speaking for the group, lending his presence to the gravity of the situations as opposed to bombarding the Hartwulf and his companion.

During the journey toward Stonyford Ingi, in line with the rest of the company remained alert - they were after all on the hunt. On arriving at Geral's he tried to be as persuasive as possible, however the strain of the journey showed in his body and manner, unaccustomed as he was to traveling by horseback let along the additional work of keeping Munir, Vef and the horse from coming to blows. Thus upon dismounting Ingi was not able to summon his usual charm.

Geral, however, seemed to need very little such sweetening from the company and Ingi felt that the old man may even welcome the travelers. Appreciating the possibility of honest food, solid lodgings and a good nights rest Ingi was happy to follow the company into the old mans house, and felt slightly ashamed at the implications by others the Geral may be somehow involved in this sorry mess. As a silent penance Ingi offered if there was any more wood to be dealt with he could do it in the morning before the company needed to move on and offered the old man one of his spare carving knifes from his pack.

As the company arrived at Stonyford Ingi fell to the back, sensing that foreign faces may not be the best approach to use with the woodmen, especially given the wounds their community had suffered both with the loss of their best hunter and the apparent betrayal of the code by one of their own kin. As other spoke he watched the faces of both Hartwulf and Willifred seeing the tensions that ran along their face and stance from recent events.

In turn Ingi felt it necessary to speak courteously as the delicate situation demanded "While I am afraid I am less known to you than the others gathered here, my service in this matter was accepted by Lord Beorn. First and foremost these are my friends and that which causes them such grief I would willing help put right. But beyond this there was some suggestion of a connection to laketown - I would wish to either exonerate or avenge our reputation with your honorable people"

Of the two, Hartwulf seems more withdrawn and contemplative, and meets all greetings with a nod - though when he is informed that Ragnar and Odo have perished, he grows visibly older, all of his efforts in maintaining appearances going to waste. He is simply an old man now, bent by his years and for whom it takes effort to stand and keep an air of authority for others to rely on. He does not speak, only nods - but Willifred speaks enough for the both of them.

"Strangers we do not welcome to our homes. Unless you have business here, you must move on. Woodland Hall is but a few days travel east of here; doubtless you will find better hospitality there. We have suffered enough sorrow in recent days. I beg you." The severe expression on his face has nothing to do with begging, whatever he may say. "Leave us to our grief." After listening to Idunn's words, he spits on the ground in front of him and glowers in the direction of the river. "These are grim tidings you bring us. Oderic is a murderer and kinslayer. We thought that by sending him to the Carrock for judgement, we were done with his evil."

"Thats not... Beorn sent us here, warrior." Gramtyng finally spoke up. True, these people had a right to grief but being rude in this manner to emissaries of Beorn who were specifically tasked with with investigating this...? "Oderic has escaped when orcs ambushed the boat bringing him to the Carrock; your chieftain's wrath at the slaying of his thanes - his dear friends, as he called them - was..." He shook his head, unable to find words for once. "Not a single goblin escaped alive. He hunted them down personally - and Idunn and Dahr-Ol were there!" Hartfuld's head rose at these words, lit my a small measure of hope. Willifred, however, grimaced at the bard's words, staring at him with a measure of distaste: "I do not know you, warrior, so forgive me if your words are not readily accepted. Besides, Beorn is..."

"They are not strangers, Willifred." Hartwulf spoke up quietly, though his voice immediately made the man fall silent. "They are honest folk who helped us when the Festival of the Moon was held - the one you were absent for. Dahr-Ol you met every day. And if they are willing to voice for their new companions, then I am inclined to believe them."

"Wiseman, you cannot simply ignore our rules simply because they helped us once. Dahr-Ol aside, they are nobodies!" Hartwulf turned his head to face Willifred and whatever the old man's expression held made the warrior take a step back. "Beorn has given them his blessing. If you wish to debate this with him, perhaps YOU should visit the Carrock."

"Fine." Willifred gave up, throwing up his hands. "But you entrusted me with this post, and the rules remain the rules." He turned to the company with a disapproving look on his face: "There has been a murder here. While we will allow you through...I insist you turn over your weapons to me while you are here."

"I wish we did meet under a happier occasion, Master Fundor. But for now... I must be thankful that least Ragnar is with my daughter. Perhaps the lad can be a comfort to her sorrow... I must stay here, and tend to our people. I do not believe Laketown has been implicated in this... tragedy so far." He said to Ingi. "But feel free to look around. Excuse me, I... Need to step away." The old man retreated, his steps unsteady, supported more than ever by his cane, headed in the direction of his home.

Interaction

This is a social encounter. You may roll Insight to attempt to gain Bonus Dice on the interaction.

As a slight modification from the original rules, I'm going to (at least for now) remove the 'spokesperson' mechanic. One person introducing the group successfully is enough to let everyone speak. You may still use Lore to see what roll is better as an Introduction roll (Awe, Courtesy, or Riddle). Afterwards, you may use any social roll you want to speak, while remembering that after each skill may only be used twice among the party. (Excluding the Introduction, Lore, and Bonus Dice Insight Rolls).

The Tolerance is set to 5. If 5 rolls are failed, you will be barred entry.

"Annungil has slain orc by my side in defense of these lands. We hung their leader's head on a pike. Idunn hunted with Beorn and the pack two nights ago, on our lands. They are not nobodies.

These are my axes. I trust you will treat them at least with more respect.

Now, I ask you again, how did Oderic best Rathfic? Oderic was not known for his strength or his skill. You were Rathfic's equal, or close enough to it. The idea of Oderic out fighting Rathfic seems unlikely.

With a solemn nod, Idunn approached Willifred, who seemed the leader of the settlement in Thane Ava's absence. Under any other circumstances, she might have taken offense at his uncorteous words and dismissive demeanour, but not now. He was suspicious, but that was understandable under these tragic circumstances.

She gave the Beorning her long-spear first, and said: 'This was a gift from Thane Merovech, my cousin. You can see his work on the spear-head, where he has carved the shapes of bears onto the metal.' She showed him the work, which was simple but beautiful - or so it seemed to her. 'I have sworn to Lord Beorn that I will avenge him, an oath I took in front of his wife, his son and his kin. I do not intend to fail my oath. Yet I understand your need, and I will gladly leave his spear to your good keeping.' She passed the weapon, and then gave the man her knife as well for good measure, precious though it was, as the rubies on it showed to all onlookers.

'We did not choose to be bearers of ill news, yet nor do we wish to rub salt on wounds that are still open. But let us speak with the witnesses at least, and with Oderic's widow. We promise to be off as soon as we can. We have a kin-slayer to catch.'

[OOC: Normally, I'd pair this off with an Awe check; however, I think we only get 2 Awe checks in this encounter, and already one was used up by Dahr-Ol... so I'd rather have another player whose character has descent Awe (e.g. @Jewdebega) to try the roll, since I post often, and I don't want to monopolize the spotlight.

But if time passes and no-one else makes the roll, I am happy to try it!]

At first, the dwarf seemed content on allow the Woodsman his grief, which would afford him a harsher tone than he might otherwise extend. However, when Willifred refers to the group as ‘nobodies’, he seems to have effectively crossed a line with Nori. A grim, displeased expression washes over the dwarf’s face almost instantly. Pulling himself away from Fundor, Nori walks around his companions until he is square with Woodsman.

Visibly shorter that Willifred, Nori is somehow able to make himself more impressive. Standing up straight, even under the weight of his armor and his pack, the dwarf puffs out his chest and takes a wide stance. He lowers his axe from his shoulder in one quick motion, letting the head fall towards the ground and bury itself in the earth. The gesture causes Hunir to squawk loudly before flapping his wings to steady himself upon Nori’s back. Shiny, black, deep eyes blink at Willifred from behind Nori, examining him as if Hunir were contemplating how he was going to eat him.

Now with both Nori and his bird glaring up at the man, the dwarf speaks in a low, stern voice. “I am not a nobody. We are not nobodies…” Nori sweeps his right arm out to the side, gesturing towards his companions without removing his eyes from Willifred. “We are friends – forgotten ones it seems. In case you need reminding…” Nori backs up a few steps, seeming to know where his companions lie in his peripheral. He never once takes his eyes off Willifred as he introduces each member of the troop in turn. “This is Idunn, cousin of Thane Merovech and feared Huntress of the Wood… This is Gramtyng, the young Horselord and Singer of Songs…” One by one, he verbally pounds the names of his companions into Willifred’s memory – each name being said with force and respect, even for those Nori had only just met a few days ago. When he has finished, he stands before Willifred once again, drawing his thumb to his chest. “And I am Nori, son of Glom and last champion of the Festival of the Moon.”

Giving pause to let the names sink in for a second or two, Nori lowers his hand and chides the Woodsman further. “We will respect your wishes and we ask that you respect us in turn. We are friends of your people and we are here to aide in any way that we can. Do not treat us as strangers, or worse, enemies.” Glancing down at his axe, Nori then returns his focus to Willifred. “I will entrust my axe to you, but I will take it if I need it. Tell us now… how we can help.” Hunir squawks once again loudly, speaking clear as day – an uncommon feat for a bird – "Help."

Annungil sat loosely on his horse at the back of the group, with his eyes keen as he listened and watched the encounter, even as the others and the Dwarves seemed insulted by the response. Emotions ran high as he slid down off the horse and strode forwards to the three who stood there.

He unbuckled the sword from around his waist as the leather of the belt hung down beneath his wrist and he offered it hilt-first to the three villagers. "I am Annungil of Minas Tirith. I have had the honor of fighting beside Dahr-Ol and his people before, and I know the honor of your people."

The man stepped back with a nod. "I offer my aid in all the ways that I may and defer to your leadership here. Though should danger come, I am eager to wield my blade along your sides."

Following the lead of his companions Ingi loosened the string of his bow and added it to assortment of Weapons. Still unsure as to their welcome he stayed at the back of the party, willing to follow his companions lead.

With Hartwulf gone, only Willifred remained to speak to the company; he nodded to Idunn's words and took the spear from her hands carefully, leaning it against the wall of a building, but not before glancing at the carvings that covered it with a greater measure of respect and even awe than anyone had seen out of him yet. "I hear your oath, Idunn of Mountain Hall." He accepted the weapons of Fundor and Ingi with a curt nod, but handled them with as much care as he did the spear of the thane. To Annungil, he offered a grunt, but gave him an appraisal-like stare and his face changed into something of a half-smile. "I appreciate your honest offer, Annungil of Minas Tirith. Perhaps one day, that will come to pass." Finally, he turned to Nori, his face now resembling a scowl: dwarves were not entirely welcomed by these people, after all. Still, he seemed willing to listen, as was his duty, and he accepted Nori's axe as well. "It takes much more than a single display of skill to earn the adoration of a people, Nori son of Glom. I in particular am slow to trust anyone. Its my job now... And I wont fail in my duty. Our village has always been remote from everything else - even in Beorn's lands." His gruff expression did not change, but there were notes of appreciation in his voice: "But I can respect someone who is willing to listen to instruction and understand the circumstances. You will not find our hospitality lacking; even in this trying time when our people jump at shadows and invoke ghosts." He waved to a boy perhaps a bit younger than Belgo and when he ran over, instructed him to run over to the inn and roast a deer. As the boy runs off, Willifred continues his conversation with Nori: "...paranoid we may be, but you'll find they are also starved for news. If you're looking for information, mention Beorn's mission. None here would dare disrespect him... Even now." He says with a measure of bitterness. When Dahr-Ol asks his questions, after accepting the weapons of the Beorning, he shakes his head with disgust: "Many claimed it was magic. Pfah. There was no such thing. Rathfic was likely drunk, is all; never thought I'd see someone who fights that well die to... this. When you investigate - take care. There are many rumors circulating, and not all are true. The news of the orc-hunt are welcome, in this dark time. The less of that filth remains, the better for us all would that the Viglundings stop harassing us, and we could give them a proper battle..." Willifred shook his head. "Welcome to Stoneyford."

OOC

The Encounter is over.
The TN for Personality and Customs rolls is reduced to 12.

Dahr-Ol nodded in agreement with Willifred at the idea that Rathfic could have been bested so easily.

"I was as surprised to hear it as you were.

More things about Oderic don't add up. He was seen nearby recently handing out silver to an old man. I never knew the family to value money, and certainly not to possess so much that they would be giving it away. Is that something he was known to do?"