Year 2949: Kinstrife and Dark Tidings

Vladim

Annungil bowed his head in acknowledgement of the words she spoke, while a sad smile flickered briefly across his face. "Aye, silence is a good medicine." The man paused for a moment and considered. He wished to keep the questions to a minimum if possible as a way to avoid prolonging her discomfort.

The goals that Beorn had given them sped through his mind as the man considered. It slowly came into his mind that there were only three things that mattered. What had happened here? Had Oderic been back? Did she have a sense of where he might have gone?

"I shall strive to keep it brief for your sake then, lady, for I have no desire to disturb your vigil more than we must to fulfuill what Lord Beorn has requested of us." He paused to ran a hand through his hair as he considered. "So I have but three questions, for they are the mysteries that lie at the heart of all these matters and without knowing the truth of them, to unravel the rest would be impossible. And if all are to find peace in this tragedy, only the truth of the matter can bring such an ending. Can you explain what happened before Oderic fled? Has he been back and if so, do you have any sense of where he might be?"

As the tumble of words slowed to a halt, Annungil bent forward closer to match her gaze, eyes gentle and soft. "I wish to give what aid to Oderic that I can, for he is young and sounds not unlike myself in my youth, but I cannot give him aid if I cannot find him. Will you aid us in this, to the best of what you know?"

Brynhild shut her eyes once more and lowered her head. It seemed to be easier for her to speak to an outsider, though the reason for that was unclear - certainly her tone was less cold when speaking to Annungil. "What happened that night..." She repeated dully. "Its... A bit of a blur to me, even now. I clearly recall, when it was evening, my brother came to me and confessed that he wished to leave Stoneyford. He felt that our father has distanced himself from him, that nobody trusted him, and.. And that I should go with him because of Rathfic. Oderic was wrong, as I tried to explain to him - my brother was never very social, but he was well-liked; he just never really saw that people depended on him. He's a silly, grumpy boy who is clumsy when talking to people... But he remains my brother. We talked for a while... And then Rathfic came home; he was drunk." The woman's face darkened, and her voice became softer. "They began to argue immediately. I tried... I tried to come between them, but Rathfic struck me in the face and I fell over. The next few moments were a blur - I remember Oderic's yell, then the sound of steel being drawn... A short struggle, and then Rathfic was on the ground, knife in chest. I screamed... and then father came running; he struck Oderic with the broad side of his axe, causing him to drop the knife. The rest... The rest you know."

Brynhild looked up, quickly wiping at her eyes and shaking her head: "Have I seen him since? Yes. He visited me several nights ago; told me how Merovech and Odo were attacked by orcs. They treated him fairly, without prejudice - and besides, Oderic grew up on stories about Merovech. When the orcs attacked, he managed to cut his bonds on a fallen sword and kill several in vengeance for the two men - but strangely, the goblins ran from him. At this point, Oderic believed he was given another chance, and left, going southwest, intent on never returning to the Beornings. Exile, he said, would be fitting for someone like him."

Dahr-Ol listened to the tale with pity. Oderic had not been a good friend of his, but both had been adoptees into the Beorning clans, both without their birth fathers to guide them through adolescence. More importantly, Bynhild's account rang true to how he remembered both men. But something still nagged at Dahr-Ol. There was still some element of the truth he was missing. He thought hard as he spoke to Brynhild.

"We have lost too many good men over this already. I promise I will tell the truth of your brother's tale to Beorn, he deserves a measure of mercy for his desire to protect his sister. It would be better were he to tell it in person though. Do you have any idea where in the south he might have run too? Perhaps back to the tribes of his parents?"

After visiting the pontoon Ingi found the atmosphere of the village weighing heavily on him. Unused to the atmosphere and the ties of kinship that seemed to both bind but also encasarate Ingi felt the need to escape. Taking himself on a walk into the outskirts he finds his mind reflecting on what they had seen and discussed at the pontoon to see if any further truths could be found (OOC - @Diofant can I use my boating trait to work anything out here ?)

Listening to the faint song of the running river and watching Munir soar in the blue sky lifted the lakemans hopes. Vef the puppy running at his heel seemed to likewise be enjoying the relative freedom. Spotting some stone cairns Ingi went to both pay his respects and out of curiosity to observe the appropriate customs of the woodfolk surrounding the memory of the deceased.

Entering the area he came across Dahr-ol and Annungil and hearing snatches of conversation surmised that the woman they were talking to must be both the widow of the deceased and kin of the man they pursued.

Not wanting to hinder the discussions in progress Ingi tried to catch the eye of his new companions to see if it were appropriate to join their conversation.

Brynhild silently shook her head in response to Dahr-Ol's question. "I do not think thats what he had in mind. I dont think he truly had a destination - not anymore. Besides... Southwest, what is there to see? The Toft?" Even in her sorrow, the disgust was clear in her voice. "My brother isnt that sort of man. Perhaps the Kingstone? He'd believed in its blessings before, when Old Theo told us his stories. Maybe thats it... But from there? I do not know. Perhaps neither does he." The young woman seemed aggrieved by this thought - indeed, what would be left for a man who'd left his home and people without a blessing, without a goal, supplies, or aim? It could be that he simply sought a worthy death - a thought that likely weighed heavily on her. But, while her sorrow had been genuine and her words without any falsehoods, there were some inconsistencies in her words. When she described Rathfic's death, she said that Rathfic was on the ground with the knife in his chest... yet in the same breath, she also said that Helmgut disarmed Oderic from the knife. It could be that she'd simply been remembering it wrong, that the horror of the situation and the following tragedy have blurred her memories. Or, it could have been something more significant. Something she was not saying. Brynhild shifted her gaze to the newcomer and nodded her greeting politely.

Old Helmgut rubbed at his beard before pulling at it viciously, then shut his eyes, speaking in short bursts, clearly trying to contain his emotions and hide them from his guests. "Tell 'im... tell 'im to come back. Tell him - tell my son that no words can erase tha betrayal I've done... But I'm ready to spend tha rest of my life atonin' for it." Helmgut banged his fist on the table, a fierce sort of look on his face, slightly spoiled by a single large tear that rolled onto his mustache. "I'll go t' Beorn myself. Tell 'im everythin'. Beg if I hafta. I'll stand beside Oderic and take the same punishment. I deserve it. Bryn..." He quieted for a moment, then his features hardened. "...My Bryn isnt a little girl. She handled everyin' far better than I, a grown man could. She dont need my protection or guidance right now... But my son does. If I survive, an' she talks to me again, we'll figure something out. Tell Oderic that. That we'll work through this as a family. As Beornings. The boy may feel alone... But truth is, ya must have seen it; the village loves that boy. E's just never known how to see it."

Dahr-Ol nodded to Ingi as the lake man came into view.

"Brynhild, Ingi here is one of our companions. He has been a trustworthy companion and friend to the Beornings. He believes, as do I that there should be mercy for those deserving. But we can only beg that mercy from Beorn if we know the full truth. Earlier you mentioned the dagger being in Rathfic's chest but also in Oderic's hand. We have to know the truth of what happened between them if we are to argue with Beorn for mercy."

After Helmgut speaks, a loud, somewhat wet sniff of the nose can be heard from the doorway to the Beorning's hut. Nori, who has been standing there, not wanting to intrude on the heart-to-heart between Idunn and the old man, has his thumbs tucked under his belt - his elbows jutting out to either side. His eyes are a bit watery and his face, even behind all the dirt and hair, is a little red. Scrunching his face as he clears his nose once again, he turns his head to the side, trying to hide the emotional response to the older Beorning bearing his softer side. "Dusty cabins," he mutters in a haggard voice, attempting to blame his temporary condition on the way the locals have kept their homes.

Ingi approached the group as gently as possible, for although evident that Brunhilde was a strong woman it was also evident that she was carrying a heavy burden of grief. "My apologies if I am intruding..." His voiced trailed off as he fried to find the right words to speak.

"I know little of your ways but I may know something of grief... Although I fear the burden you is more than that. Forgive me if I am speaking out of turn but...Even I as an outsider can tell there are many cross current of tension in this village and it seems that you may be caught within them" As Ingi spoke Munir alighted on a nearby cairn, head cocked as if listening and offering support.

"If there is anything more you can remember or anything we should know, I can promise you - at least for my part - I am only interested in the truth of this riddle. Even if there is no more that you can remember I am also happy to just lend you my ear and my silence if that is what you wish."

Annungil rocks back on his heels as he listens to Brynhild's explanation, nodding in sympathy as she speaks. Something about the story was a bit off, but it was not until Dahr-Ol pointed it out that he realized what it was. Yet, he only shrugged slightly.

"Such is the nature of violence and bloodshed. Memory ill-serves to remember the truth, for it happens too quick for us to recognize what it is that happens."

He bowed his head as Ingi arrived. "Welcome, friend. It is good of you to join us. We have learned which way he has gone and perhaps where, but we shall need to seek out his tracks to determine the truth of his destination. Only time can uncover that."

Brynhild cast a cold look at Dahr-Ol that showed what she thought of his line of thought. "Remember? You could simply say that you do not believe me, Dahr-Ol. Unfortunately, I've told you and your companion all I could tell you..." She turned away, looking at the gravestone, her face now reverting back to a stony mask until Ingi had spoke, at which point her facade began to crack once more. She kept her head turned away, but from where Dahr-Ol stood, the pain on her face was clearly visible. The woman did not look at any of the three as she undid the cloth holding her hood in place, her hazel-brown locks falling freely, and then lowering the scarf that hid her neck. There, clearly visible against pale skin, were large bruises - old ones that had already begun to yellow. She next removed a glove, demonstrating the burn, and further up her arm, another bruise. "It shames me to show this to anyone, much less any outsider." Her voice was dull and unfeeling as she spoke, no longer cold, angry, or even sorrowful. "You wanted to know more? Why Oderic would suddenly attack his friend? Well, I was the reason." She shrugged.

"After I... discovered something about my late husband, he never quite forgave me for it. The result, you see for yourself. And Oderic... Oderic saw the remnants of Rathfic's kills in the wilds, and began to suspect something. He confronted me that night, and I did not have the chance to... hide this." She slipped her glove back on, and wound her scarf around her neck, slipping the hood back on. "As for what I saw that Rathfic hated me for... I saw a brand of slavery to what I assumed was the shadow. He'd likely gotten away. 'Came down from the mountains' is what my father told you, isnt it? Its true. From the mountains of Mirkwood... Not Mountain Hall. There was a spider's brand on his neck. As far as I remember, he'd had a special hatred of spiders. He was a cruel man... And I'm sorry to say that while I grieve, I do not grieve for him, but for my own cowardice." She turned to the trio once again, the expression on her face now that of determination. "Find my brother. Tell him I asked him to return... and if he will not, I will go myself. Tell him this, and he will understand. Please."

Gramtyng waited silently, not wanting to intrude on the man's grief. Idunn has said all there was to say - any more, and it would be prying. He briefly wondered if Fastred reacted even remotely close to this old man when his own exile had been announced. His father and him never did see eye to eye... Mending the relationship between Helmgut and Oderic somehow felt, to him, like an extension of his own situation. Granted, there was a lot of difference, here... But if Helmgut had resolved himself to stand beside his son even if he was a murderer... Then couldnt his own father stand beside his own choices? Then again, he did not get exiled because he refused to join the Kingsguard or become a proper huntsman. It was because of his own cruel tongue and careless words. He only had himself to blame. But it made him feel somehow warm to see such a bond himself.

Idunn looked to her companion, who was lost in his thoughts. There was much sorrow in this place and this man, but nothing more could be learned, and their task was now clear and their mission lay ahead of them.

'I will do as you say.' she said plainly. 'But you and your daughter should seek Beorn out, and tell him all that you have told us. The tale has gone crooked, and there is much sorrow and regret here. But perhaps things can be mended still for those that are still living. Do not give up hope yet.'

She knelt by her bag, and retrieved a small parcel, wrapped in brown paper and tied with white string - herbs from Radagast the Brown. She left them by Helmgut as a parting gift: 'I do not have much to give you - my folk are not rich - but accept these herbs, hand-picked from the Brown Wizard's garden. And save the wine for a happy reunion, should your son be deemed blameless and returned to you.' Slowly, she recovered her kettle and cloak, and thanked Helmgut for his aid before exiting his dwelling.

Outside, she looked to her companion expectedly, but there was also sorrow - resignation even - in her bright eyes. For she counselled Helmgut for hope, but there was little of it left in her.

'Death and sorrow follow us wherever we journey,' she said, 'and I can barely recognize this village today. Where are the celebrations and the happy crowds of the festival of the Moon? They are forgotten, and there is nothing here but misery and pain, and wounds that will never close, but bleed always when the leaves of spring sprout.'

She shook her head. 'Let us go. Let us find the others. We have lingered here long enough. Let us find Oderic and end this, one way or another.'

Watching Idunn gather her things, Nori remains quiet, allowing the Woodswoman to part amicably with Helmgut. Upon his face is a look not of anguish, but quiet contemplation - the dwarf torn briefly over the next course of action. When she told Gramtyng (and Nori and Ghorin indirectly) it was time to leave, the dwarf seemed to finally make a decision. Anxiously walking past her and towards Helmgut, the craftsman takes a direct approach with the older man, positing him a question without the tenderness Idunn and the Rohirrim had used just moments before.

"Oderic," Nori states at first, bringing up the subject of the young man. "Who knew him outside the village?" Nori asks bluntly. And before Helmgut can respond, the dwarf clarifies his question - or at least gives him the reason why he's asking the question. "Friend or foe... who would come this far to potentially visit with him? I found footprints in the cabin... metal boots you wouldn't find on anyone here, so it must be someone from far away... or someone who at least travels a good deal." There's a pensive look on Nori's face, the dwarf unsure if he's drudging up something that will set Helmgut off once again or if what he's saying makes any sense to the man.

The old man nodded heavily, gratefully accepting the herb pouch the young woman offered, and shook his head: "Its plenty. Kindness woulda been enough, iffen I to be honest... Always been mistrustful of the wizard; but seems like its time I've let go of my views. Wine..." He shook his head again and sighed, a ragged sound: "...Aint for me. Iffen I cant control meself when I have it, then I ought not to. Nothing solves itself from refusin' the world. I'll gather my things, and go to Beorn. Maybe my daughter will join me."

The old warrior turned to the dwarf and regarded him seriously, pulling at his beard in deep thought. "'E's not got much in the way of acquaintances. Years ago, was that old goat, Geral... Oderic liked keepin' him company, carvin' wood. Should 'ave let him stay with him more - he'd always been happy to visit him. Real concentrated on the carvin'. Really, even the trackin' and scoutin' were more causes to find material for them, though he'd never become an apprentice. Anyway." He waved off the sudden wave of memories with a dismissive gesture, and shut his eyes for a moment. "Metal boots? Makes sense - only one in the village who'd have em is Oderic. The boy traded a LOT for a pair of those. He'd been so happy back then, eyes practically gleamed at him finally gettin' his hands on these. Wasnt ever sure why he wanted em... Just cause they're more sturdy, I s'pose, and he liked to run around a lot."

----------------------------------------

Gramtyng shivered at Idunn's words, remembering the shadow of the cursed mountain under which he'd been born and the superstitions he'd had to put up with, with him being seen as 'cursed' himself. Maybe there was truth to those rumors after all? There had been a great deal of misery ever since he'd descended from the mountains. Certainly, some of the incidents had ended well, but... Were they truly at an end? He glanced at his squire, who happily ran by his side, and pondered if he'd truly done him a service by taking him from his father like that. It was normal in his culture, but... Perhaps the merchant could have used his help.

Part Five: The Chase Continued

Reuniting with their companions, the group travels to the beorning docks to discuss what to do next: According to everything heard and found within Stoneyford, Oderic, guilty or not, had traveled south on his own boat, with a purse of silver coins which are meaningless to have for beornings, after killing two goblins. He is at least armed with a sword, though could have gotten more weapons after he stopped in his home in the village. The townsfolk mostly seem to consider the crime he committed to be unthinkable to be linked with him, as he'd never been seen as anyone who could do such a thing. Of course, with his beloved sister being abused and beaten by her husband - his once friend, perhaps he really did kill him when even his father refused to listen to his suspicions. To follow him, the chase would take them across the Great River and then south, who knows how far. These are ill-omened lands, long a dwelling-place of evil and misfortune. Still, first, they should cross the Anduin; as they were on good terms with the Beornings of the village, they could be ferried across.

Journey

The chase takes the company southwest and then south for forty miles in the wilderness and across
sparse woods in the West Anduin Vales (Border lands). Three days of march and a single Fatigue test (TN 14)
are needed for this leg of the journey.

Planning the Route
As usual, the characters may make a Lore roll to assess their route. Again, as the characters have no set destination, they cannot use a successful Lore roll to reduce their journey time, but they can choose to reduce the TN of any test made when looking for Oderic.

Signs of the Prisoner
Again, Hunting, Explore or Search rolls are needed to search for signs of Oderic’s movements. Every hero is allowed to
make two skill rolls each day, with every successful roll revealing a significant sign of Oderic’s passage.

As the company journeyed onward, Idunn kept the watch, and she kept her eyes open for signs of Oderic. These were lands she knew better: she had journeyed between Mountain-Hall, her home, and Stonyford many times, though she hed never dared to range further to the south from there, where the Gladden met the Anduin. Those were dangerous, uninhabited marshes, and Idunn did not know their grim history, but she knew that none dwelled there, though hunters and fishermen would occasionally dissapear in that misty swamp-land.

After Stonyford, she spoke to her companions and told them all that she could gather from speaking with Ethal and Helmgut. She was interested to hear what the widow had to say to Annugil and Dahr-Ol and Ingi, and slowly she begun piecing together what had happened. Her opinion of Oderic remained poor, but now she entertained the possibility that he might be innocent, or otherwise that the killing might have been an accident. She hoped that they could find him soon, before he escaped, and set the matter straight.

[OOC: Idunn will share everything that she has learned from Ethal and Helmgut with everyone else.]

Annungil paused as Brynhild explained what happened in more detail, and his hands clenched instinctively at where his sword hilt should have been, but he forced them to relax and gave a respectful bow.

"My apologies, lady, for what this revelation must have cost you. I grieve for all entangled in this web, for it is dark indeed, and what light might be found is faint. Yet, perhaps something good may yet come of this." He gave a faint smile. "I will do my best to see Oderic to whatever fate that lies in store for him. And I apologize again for intruding on your deepest griefs. May you find peace."

He turned and nodded to the others before turning to walk back to the main square, meeting with the rest of the ones gathered, reclaiming his sword and preparing for the journey across the river.

When they had all gathered, Annungil would explain in brief, and quietly for only the travel companions. "Rathfic was a cruel husband and left Brynhild bruised and scarred. It was thus that prompted the conflict between the two. She has requested we find Oderic and inform him that she wishes his return."

His usual buoyant voice was flat and hard, while his eyes were stern as the mountains as they set their course southward, seeking any sign of the trail that Oderic might have left, explaining in further detail what it was they had learned from Brynhild.