Year 2949: Kinstrife and Dark Tidings

Vladim

Gramtyng snuck out after Dahr-Ol, gesturing for Belgo to remain silent, and followed Nori's lead, hiding himself in bushes and leaning against tree trunks, crawling when necessary. His training as a hunter had been quite useful here, and though the terrain was unfamiliar to him, the basics had still been beaten into his head already. Like Nori, he shushed the raven on his shoulder - Dunir ruffled his feathers in an offended way and cawed quietly, but did not voice further protest. Settling to Nori's right side as they advanced to the edge of the campsite, Gramtyng looked around for their target.

spacer.pngspacer.pngIndeed, it was difficult to miss him. Strangely, the young beorning was not tied, but held as a guest of honor by a dark-haired, grizzled man who looked to be a veteran of many battles, if the scars on his face were anything to judge by. This man had far richer clothing than the rest of the armed men, a proper chainmail, and wore a heavy cape with a fur collar. Nothing he wore seemed to be impractical; the knife in his boot angled at just the right angle to grab it when he sat down, the sword positioned just right to grab it his his hand, clothing cut in such a way not to restrict movement... This was a true soldier. It was easy enough to overhear voices of his men from where the group hid - and deduce that the man's name was Valter, always prefaced with 'Lord'. Oderic sat across from the man, being offered choice pieces of venison from the spit and handed drinks. Valter seemed to be comfortable enough to tell jokes and even clap Oderic on the back - and it was Oderic, if the description they'd been given was anything to go by.

The beorning had a haunted, grim look about him and did not respond to jokes or toasts, at times raising his mug as if to go along with it. He did not drink. After perhaps ten minutes passed, the boy found some manner of excuse to leave the feasting area and retreated into the woods not too far from where the companions had been. It became very visible by the suspicious stares from the Valter's men, which followed as soon as Oderic left, that he was not trusted. To further illustrate this, Valter's expression changed from a merry, slightly drunk one to a cold and calculative one. He nodded to a man who sat nearby and he'd silently gotten up and all but vanished into the treeline near where Oderic had made his exit.

Notes

None! There's a lot of options and rolls that could be done here - before I start offering choices I want to see what you come up with.

The huntress looked on about the gathering of outlaws and said nothing. The sight only served to confuse her further, for if indeed the grim young man was Oderic, and if indeed these outlaws had captured him, then why was he being offered good food and drink with such generosity? She could not answer this riddle, but now was not the time for it anyway; instead, now they had to act quickly and seize this opportunity before the door closed completely.

With a few silent gestures she shared her plan – or at least her ideas, for they hardly constituted a well-thought out plan at this stage – to her companions. She pointed at herself first and then at Oderic, in a manner that indicated her intention to follow the Beorning. But just a moment after, she noticed that this Valter had sent another man after Oderic. She looked to her companions expectedly – she wondered if anyone wished to join her, but she was not willing to wait for more than a few moments. The door was closing already, and she would not throw this chance – perhaps their only chance – away.

Dahr-Ol nodded to the huntress in approval and gestured at Valtar's guard, then to himself and Nori.

Laying down on the ground, the Beorning closed his eyes and focused on the change as Beorn had taught him. He focused on the smells and sights his bear self would experience. Slowly, the distinct form of a grizzled old bear missing one eye rose from the lad's body. It chuffed the air twice, oriented towards the guard Valtar had assigned to Oderic and moved off.

The bear gathered speared as it moved towards the guard, by it's third body length it was moving close to a sprint and let out a ferocious roar as it burst through a bush. The bear swatted at a large fallen log, cracking the log and sending splinters through the bushes but away from the guard. Dahr-Ol rose on his hind legs unleashed the full volume of his bear self as he towered over the man.

Annungil merely nodded as Nori led them out from the underground complex after the footsteps had faded into nothingness, and he kept a close eye on his companions as they began making their way around the encampment. He was no hunter, and certainly no scout. Mail did little to help in this endeavor, but he hadn't guarded the river around Cair Andros without learning to go without being detected, and by orcs, whose sense of smell gave them a far better tracking sense than humans.

He wrapped his cloak around his body and cinched it tight with the sword belt to muffle the sound of any armor and lay flat on the ground, adjusting the sword belt so it wouldn't be dragged through the mud and grass before rubbing his hands in the dirt and dragging them across his face, smearing it across his skin and hands so no glint of light might give him away.

Hanging well back from the rest as he watched the rear, he slowly began creeping around in their wake. Hardly noticable movements, and slower perhaps than the rest would prefer. His sword hand itched to be put to use, but he was no fool, despite his eagerness to charge into battle. Patience won as many battles as valor, especially if a battle could be avoided.

It took quite a while, but he finally caught up to Nori and the others warded by a tree, unsure if he had been spotted or not, but at least ready to face whatever might happen as a result.

Nori - focused on the voices, the threat of being found out, and Idunn's motions - doesn't notice Dahr-Ol lying on the ground and transforming near him. It's only when the sight of the bear passing him as it heads into the woods where Oderic had left does the dwarf note the creature's presence. Thrusting himself back against a tree and bringing his axe up to a defensive posture, it's clear the dwarf was caught off guard and considered Dahr-Ol a threat. But seeing the bear pass him by quickly and seem to even quietly communicate with them stays Nori's weapon. Looking between the rest of the fellowship as if to silently ask whether they had witnessed what he had or ask the question, "Did you know he could do that?!?", Nori seems to have lost his train of thought and call to action.

Gramtyng nodded to Idunn and beckoned Belgo to follow them, entrusting the boy with his bow just in case. As Nori and Dahr-Ol, at least, seemed to be interested in cutting off the thug from the boy, it seemed like they'd be covered in either case, with Annungil and Ingi free to follow either group. Creeping through the brush quietly had come naturally to Gramtyng, as he recalled with some bitterness the lessons of his father; that he was to forget about being 'silent' - he would never truly be such. Noise WILL be made - but it must be made to sound like other animals. That is why the bard was not concerned about stepping on a branch once or twice - he'd merely use his natural singing talent to imitate the sound of an animal their quarry would not care about; the grunt of a badger, for example. This could be used to cover up the others, as well, so it was a decent way to go about these things; the only other idea he'd had was to head through the trees, but he was no elf to attempt such a feat without due preparation. Working his way forward in this manner, he'd reached the clearing where the Beorning had sat, and looked to the side to see if Idunn had been there. The hard part was about to begin - convincing this boy to return without insulting him and balancing out anything else... unexpected.

spacer.pngWhile the other group departed, the thug had not been interested in advancing to close to Oderic; he'd taken a seat on a tree stump, pulled out a knife and examined it with a dark look that didnt seem to ever leave his face. There was a quiet 'thud' as he'd flung the knife in a motion that was hard to follow, resulting in a squirrel's pained squeaking - he'd nailed the small animal right to the trunk of the tree. His head turned slightly to look at his prey, and then he smiled - it would really be better if he didn't, as it put his bad teeth on display, and the sheer glee that came from the disturbing expression on his face almost made it too much to call it a smile. He got up and retrieved his knife, raising his boot - likely to stomp on the creature... But that was when Dahr-Ol tore through the bushes and reared on his hind legs. The color drained quickly from the man's face as he stood, with a bloody knife in hand, staring down a bear. In the next moment, he'd turned to run in the direction of the fires!

Notes

Group going for Oderic: Its a Social Encounter, so Insight to gain Bonus Dice, then Awe or Persuade to make the Introduction. After that... There's actually more than just Social Rolls that could be used, here. Courtesy plain doesnt work, in fact: Awe, Insight, Lore, Persuade, Inspire, and Battle are some of the suggested rolls in the book - but it depends what you want to say and what you're asking/convincing him of.

Group going after Faron the Thug: Its a Combat Encounter, so you can roll Battle for Bonus Dice, declare your stance, and make your attack. You are treated as if having successfully ambushed Faron - he doesnt get a roll to notice, as his attention is wholly focused on Oderic and his own sadism. This close to camp, he doesnt expect any attack. He has not yet begun to run, as the Players go first, here.

Idunn approached the young man quickly but cautiously, flanked by Uthred on her left and any of her companions that would join her on her right. When Oderic had seen her at last, she paused, making no effort to hide or run or attack; instead, she cast her great spear aside and presented her hands, both of them empty, to show that she came not as an enemy, but as a neutral at worst, one whose intention was solely to parley. She spoke first, with a sense of great urgency.

’Hail Oderic of the Beornings! You are a hard man to track, but at last we have found you. Not a moment too soon, from the looks of it!’

Sensing that those words might frighten the boy away, she quickly added: ’We are sent by Beorn himself, and by your sister Brynhild, and your foster-father Helmgut, all of whom wish to see you again. We come in peace,’ she added, ’all we want is to speak to you, but we must be swift! Time is not on our side!

I am Idunn, daughter of Theodwin, of the folk that dwell in Mountain-Hall; a Woodmen dwelling not far from here. I am the cousin of Merovech the Thane, whom you knew well, or so I believe.’

Annungil kept his gaze in the direction of the thug until he was sure the others had it in control, but he kept his hand on his sword hilt and his shield half unslung, just in case. There could have been others in the wood that they had not yet spotted. It was, after all, hostile territory. He came up slightly behind Idunn and gave a brief salute to Oderic with his shield hand.

"Indeed, we come bearing messages. I have spoken to Brynhild, your foster-sister, and she has revealed what lay beneath her scarves and wrappings. She requests that you return, for her sake, as soon as possible."

He paused and sent another look into the woods. "Who are these men? Did you know they have a guard following you into the woods?" His voice was low and soft as he spoke. "We have not met, and my name would mean little to you, but I hail from the southlands of Gondor and have come up after my term of service was complete. I am Annungil, if such a thing is of import to you."

Getting over the shock of the werebear in their midst, Nori sees Faron flee from his encounter with the Beorning and making a straight line for the encampment. Sprint to cut the thug off, Nori leaps through some bushes - barreling down on a intersection point with Faron's path. Emerging from behind a tree, the dwarf anticipates the man's arrival and greets him with the blunt end of his axe, swung with as much fear and strength that Nori can muster. The blow from the axe immediately takes the wind out of Faron, leaving him paralyzed and unable to say anything beyond letting out a feint whimper. He has just enough time to turn his head and see the glint of Nori's eyes in the darkness before the dwarf quickly jerks his axe upward, clocking Faron under the chin - sending a bloody tooth sailing into the night sky and an unconscious thug onto his back.

Throughout the plunge into the hobbit hole and the subsequent chase through the woods Ingi had been at the limits of his water-won nimbleness to keep up with the company. When the time had come to chose after a brief hesitation Ingi followed Idunn's pursuit of Oderic; partially through curiosity about this shadowy figure at the center of this mystery, partially through concern about what anger this meeting may light in Idunn and partially through uncertainty about his ability in a stealth attack on the bandits scout.

After the others introductions, Ingi though for a second to think what reassurance he could offer Oderic beyond that which had already been given by Idunn and Annungil. After a moments pause he added to the others salutations "Ingi" with a nod of respect "As you may tell I am not from these parts and thus have no hidden bonds beyond my pledge to Beorn to seek the truth of this matter. I hope that this may persuade you of the truth and intention of my words." settling into a gentle posture Ingi continued "As time is short I will be brief, I can attest that the others speak the truth. Your sister, while bravehearted, troubles herself over your end and you are followed as a captive even those here appear to treat you as a honored guest"

Here Ingi pause to see if his or the other speech had any effect on Oderic...

Oderic wheeled around quickly, sword practically leaping into his hand - the blade familiar to Idunn, as it was Merovech's. The boy studied the group warily, with Idunn, Annungil, and Ingi coming up first, followed by Gramtyng and Belgo, who hid himself in a very obvious fashion, inside a nearby bush. Evidently, the spot was a poor one, as he constantly shifted around. The clumsiness seemed to have put Oderic somewhat at ease, as he relaxed slightly, though still held the sword in front of him. As Idunn began to speak, however, he seemed to have wavered - his eyes narrowed in anger at the mention of his father's name, but he sheathed his sword as Idunn told him about her relation to Merovech, and Annungil about Brynhild's wounds. He wore a complicated expression, but did not say a word until Ingi spoke of 'honored guest'.

"Make no mistake, travelers. I am a prisoner here." Oderic's expression was grim but determined. "Valter has made it abundantly clear, what with that noisy thug he sends every time I walk away from their camp. He's hardly being subtle, with the amount of animals he randomly kills behind my back." He looked over to Idunn, his demeanor changing to that of sorry: "I am sorry about your cousin. I've killed the goblin who sent the arrow but... Its not like it will undo it; I deeply respected Merovech, but there was still nothing I could do. I've had to take his sword to do it... And this likely belongs to you, or his family, now." He held out a small pouch with coins to her. "One is missing. If I survive, I will pay it back. As for who they are..." He turned to Annungil, sitting down on a tree stump, making a pained face as he heard a loud cracking noise that likely meant Faron the thug had met his end. "They're Valter's soldiers. He recruited from outlaws, deserters, and even honest folk who believed him. Valter claims descent from the line of Girion, Lord of Dale, through his ancestor, a knight named Valind. Cant say I care if he's right or not, he'd a born leader - charismatic, harsh... he knew just what to promise each of his men. If you secretly nurse some grudge, if some niggling desire gnaws at your soul, if you ever felt that you were not given your proper due, then Valter knows it and promises that he will make everything right – if you follow him."

He paused, folding his hands across his chest, and looking at Ingi next: "My sister should not concern herself with me. I want her to live free without my shadow on her - what I did is for the best. I am surprised that she she trusted you enough to show you what Rathfic did... why does she want me to return? It was for her sake that I left." He asked suspiciously. "And why, of all people, would my father want me to return?" He practically spat the last word, but then caught himself, sinking once more from anger into sorrow, holding his head with his hands: "And now... Now I have bigger problems. Valter wants me to lead them - his army - to Stoneyford. He claims he wants a peaceful takeover; and he IS quite a kingly man, even if his lineage is a lie - and I am not educated well enough to determine that. He is managing to hold them together, and is willing to do what he needs. Maybe he will do right by us? But no. There's no way it will work out peacefully. But what else do I do? Kill myself? I've considered it." He glanced at Merovech's sword again. "I..." He began again but Gramtyng interrupted him.

"You need to be quiet." Growled the bard. "While we chased you, I thought for a long time how to start this talk, and tried to understand your motives. I thought you were misfortune, even heroic, if I'm right about what you did - but can you STOP lying to yourself, boy?" Gramtyng's face twisted in exasperation, while Oderic opened his mouth angrily: "No, just listen to me. Valter wants one thing: Dominion. Think about it. He wants you to quickly march across Wilderland, and do what? Occupy Stoneyford? Its not defensible, and you think gates would hold the Bear-Lord? What he'd going to do is loot it, slaughter anyone who resists, and enslave everyone else. Then he'll turn around and march at Woodmantown, which IS defensible, and where Beorn may not follow - into Mirkwood. Then all of that starts spiraling out of control and there will be a BIGGER war. And you are even considering you want this on your conscience? You're not a criminal. You're criminally naive."

"You're... Right." Exhaled Oderic. His face went through a whole mix of different emotions as he considered what the bard said. "I'll not pretend I didnt feel wrong about even saying these things. But what else can I do? Maybe... No. I'd like to hear what you lot have to say, before I voice my thoughts."

The dagger-wielding sadist went down like a sack of potatoes from the dwarf's fist, emitting nothing more than a surprised noise somewhere between a snort and a grunt. The short skirmish over, the dwarf and Beorning were now free to join their companions.

Idunn took the pouch of coins and eyed Oderic’s stolen sword intently. It would have to be returned to Ragnar what all of this was over. But the talk of slaughter and pillage gave her pause, and plenty to think about. If the makeshift army that this Valter had gathered about him was heading towards Stoneyford, then there was only one thing to be done: march there with as great a speed and urgency as they could muster, to warn the Beornings, and to fight by their side if they had to.

When Oderic called them to speak, Idunn stepped forth. This Oderic did not prove to be the man that her more vengeful tendencies would have warned her against, and though he was entangled in this bitter tragedy as much as any of his kinsmen, she did not mince words.

’Very well, Oderic, son of Helmgut. I will speak my mind, though I do not expect that you will like all which I have to say. But now all the pieces of this riddle have fallen into place, and at last I can see your role in this tragedy clearly. You may be no coward, as I had initially thought, but you are still a kinslayer, though Rathfic’s death may have been an accident. And you still fled after the Thanes’ killings, rather than give yourself up to Beorn and trust in his judgement. You have not even begun trying to set things right.

But none of this matters now. If your tale is true, then we are all caught into bigger events, and all those things that I have said are irrelevant if Stonyford is in danger of being destroyed. Our peril is great, but with great peril comes a greater chance at redemption. For you can join us now in marching to the village as quickly as possible. There, we will warn everyone. We will prepare defences in what little time we have left. We will send word to Beorn, against whom neither Valter nor any heir of Girion can stand. And we will fight side by side, to the bitter end, in need be.

You ask why old Helmgut wishes your return. In your great sorrow you fail to see that he loves you, though he may have failed you in the past. As does Brynhild. As does every single person in Stonyford that we spoke to. Come with us, now, before it is too late!’

Ingi had paused while listening to Idunns words, all the time watching the face of Oderick for some indication as to his intent.

Carrying on where she had left off Ingi contintued "Idunn speaks truth. There are those in Stonyford and beyond who think well of you and would be prepared to hear your story. However none of this can be put right if Stonyford lies in ruins. If you are to help us in the least, tell us the number and speed of the company and when this assult is to begin." Pausing to look at Munir Ingi continued "perhaps we have ways in which Stonyford could be warned and friends and allies rallied to its defense"

Fearing that all that Oderic desired was an end to the entanglements that seemed to followed him Ingi continued "if Stonyford stands and a life of exile from the woodmen is still what you desire,... perhaps I can find you a better means to it. Laketown is far and the guilds always are in search of those who wish for a humble life working with their hands... your safety may at least act as a salve to your sisters pain."

Annungil listened, head alert and swiveling, and nodded as he listened. "Aye, that is the problem." He ran a hand through his beard as he considered. "I suspect that her belief about what is best is not the same as your own. But that you must speak to her for yourself. And truly, I think this Valter and his army are a greater concern for now."

A wild smile flickered across his face. "We may not need to speak with the others afterward if we fail to survive Valter's army. How well do you know the land? Is there someplace that could lead them into a trap or a more defensible position than Stoney Ford?"

He knew they had no way of holding back this army, small as it was. He was not convinced that even them working with the villagers could be able to hold them back. They would need an army of their own and there were none nearby that could be summoned. No fast way to warn them either.

They faced a very difficult decision and Oderic was tied into it all as well.

Oderic massaged the sides of his head, nervously leaping to his feet and beginning to pace as he listened to what the others said, pausing at times to look at them when they spoke. "Truly?" He questions Idunn first. "The last time we saw each other, my father wouldnt listen to a word I was saying." Oderic sighed and looked away, stopping for a while: "...Maybe I owe him a chance after all; given how much I've withdrawn myself in the months before that... As for the folk at Stoneyford, they'll have to understand if I dont immediately trust anyone after I tried to warn people about Rathfic's tattoo and methods, but got no results. But all of this is pointless. Whether my father and my people love me or not, I cant go back. I could go back and die on Beorn's axe, but that will only stir the shame my family would be poured on from all sides. No. I'll take exile... Or that's what I was going to do, anyway."

He turned to Ingi next, considering his offer, but then shook his head and sighed: "If I am to be in proper exile, I'd need to leave entirely, to not be an eyesore in anyone's eyes." He followed Ingi's eyes and nodded in approval, then beginning to count something on his fingers. "I am not good at logistics, but I do know these parts. Its why Valter treats me so 'well'. I cannot give a good estimate because I dont know how a small army will move - never been in one. But..." He looked in Annungil's direction: "...But bloodline might mean a lot up north. If news reach Dale, who knows what will happen? You've come to the same conclusion as I have, I see, outlander." Oderic nodded grimly. "Ravens or not, if Stoneyford is to stand a chance - you'd need to do more than reach it or the Carrock, you'd need to find Beorn, after all - then..." The boy paused for a moment, and it was clear that the words are hard for him to say, though the conclusion is clear: "I cannot return with you, Idunn of Woodland Hall. I agree to guide Valter and his men to Stoneyford... Through the Gladden Fields. When I passed through on the river, I noted a glimmer off in the distance - a sickly, green flame. That can only mean one thing; the Dwimmerhorn has reappeared. I will lead them by it - Valter may be a cruel man, but he is no orc-friend. Between the swamp and the orcs, the army will have lost some morale and manpower. I will see you all at Stoneyford if my cursed fortune is willing to carry me that far."

Oderic opened his mouth to say something else, but then frowned, looking in another direction, yes narrowing as he tried to see through the foliage: "...Is that a dwarf? Your companion, or Valter's lackey?" His hand immediately fell to his sword.