Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Year 2949: Kinstrife and Dark Tidings

Vladim

Fundor tries to remember of what he knows of that region. He never went to Beorn's house mut he met him at the Carrock many months ago and at that moment, it seemed that Beorn's house wasn't very far away.

"I might be wrong but I think that we could get to Beorn's home within a day walk."

According to Fundor's estimate, it would take perhaps a few hours to get to Beorn's house - it was night time, but the moon was in the sky illuminated the area brightly. Not to mention, these lands were easy to traverse, mostly fields with small groves of trees here and there, and a decent road.

Gramtyng remained silent as the conversation went on - his thoughts were grim as he remembered the family Merovech had left behind and the hospitality of Odo. How did you tell someone their family was dead? He'd never been in a commanding role, so such things were usually left to officers, even when he was being trained. 'I'm sorry' sounded... hollow. Piling orc heads at their feet didnt seem like anything that would console a weeping wife and son. Burying their bodies here... How would it feel, to them? "I dont think we should bury them here. Ava and Ragnar - and whomever Odo had - are at least deserving of having some closure. If we bury them it would be..." The rohirrim paused, and looked towards Idunn: "...Like they just vanished. It would likely hurt even more." He left it unsaid - but if anyone knew how that felt, it would be Idunn.

Dahr-Ol's investigation yielded that the tracks were quite fresh, perhaps a half-day old, and seemed to look like there were two goblins running from the direction of the river. The trail ended in a small grove of trees on their left, where the two goblins were found; one was decapitated, while the other had a stab wound with a goblin sword stuck in it. There also was a trail of what was heavy boots - not goblin make, which seemed to have been running parallel to the goblins, the tracks crossing that of the goblins near where the bodies were.

[Hunting will not yield any more information on the scene, but other investigative rolls may]

spacer.pngDahr-Ol held up his hand as he and Anungil entered the small grove. He inhaled deeply and bent low to the ground. He moved around the edges of several footprints and briefly out of the copse of trees following a different trail. He returned after only a few yards.

"Most disturbing. Goblins feel safe to trespass our lands quite soon after you and I embarrased them in the High Pass. Even more disturbing, they met someone here who killed them. I do not believe it was a Beorning, the tracks seem like heavy boots with a hard sole. My people prefer softer footwear that lets you feel the ground you tread upon or the tree that you must climb. And the edges are clean pressed, implying better craftsmanship than goblin make. Perhaps you might better interpret what lays here, with your knowledge of city dwelling ways."

Dahr-Ol walked Anungil through the tangle of tracks as he interpreted where the trails intermingled and described why he felt the third pair of tracks was a heavy shod foot. Possibly a man.

Idunn forrowed her brows: she wished, more than anything, to set out urgently, and to hunt down the orcs that did it. But despite her anger, she agreed with her comrades’ counsel, and Beorn’s House was not far. Still, she inspected the orc-tracks that Fundor had found, seeking to discover where the killers were heading to, and she promised silently to track them down.

[OOC: Is it necessary to provide a Hunting roll to figure out some details about the orcs, namely (1) how many they are and (2) where they are heading? I will make the check in the dice thread to expedite the game, but if it’s unnecessary, let me know, and we can ignore it (and I can cancel out any potential AP gained).]

Then, she agreed quietly to the fellowship’s proposed course of action, and without adding much, she took up the body of Merovech… it was heavy, and well beyond her strength to carry, but she was determined to bring it to Beorn, though she could not do it all by herself.

[OOC: Idunn will try to carry Merovech’s body; help is appreciated, and if there’s any fatigue gain for doing this, I am happy to take it. Just let me know!]

”You’ll get no complaint from me," Nori says with some mixture of eagerness and bitterness in his voice. Clearly, he has no problems hunting down orcs in general, but the circumstances requiring it are quite grave and strike too close to home. His eyes scan the landscape illuminated by the moon overhead as if Nori were expecting some sign of movement they could immediately latch onto, but it was clear his mind was lost in thought with everything they had encountered.

The rust-haired dwarf allows Fundor and Idunn to discuss the travel to Beorn’s house without saying a word, his attention still on the horizon and his thoughts. However, once he sees Idunn move to take Merovech out of the boat – indicating a decision had been made, one steering clear of hunting down the orcs immediately – Nori’s attention seemed to snap back to the here and now. Motioning to Fundor, Nori seems to beckon his cousin to help him with Odo. The men would be tended to with respect and carried away from this undeserving scene. The similar heights of the dwarves would make it easier to carry Odo (and put less of a burden on Idunn if one were to assist). Their low center of gravities and natural dwarven stamina should make it as relatively easy task. Tying his axe to his pack and freeing up his hands, the dwarf moves solemnly towards the boat.

”Come on lad," Nori grunts softly at Odo as he works his hands under the man’s arms. ”You don’t need to rest here."

Annungil stopped as his companion held up a hand. Crouching slightly, he unslung his shield from his back and drew the sword from the sheath. He spoke not a word until Dahr-Ol returned from his inspection. As he waited, Annungil shifted slightly, moving his weight from foot to feet as his eyes sought to pierce the shadows that seemed to grow within the trees. Whether they truly grew or it was his imagination, he could not discern.

Upon his companion's return, Annungil nodded, and slung the shield back behind him, but kept the sword loose. "Goblins? This close to Beorn's Hall after their defeat?" A frown etched itself across his face as he kept his eyes on the ground, being careful not to step on anything that might provide some information on what had happened. Afer reaching the bodies, he stopped and knelt, examining the scene, as he worked to put together the information.

"I am no tracker, I fear, but my people have fought many wars against these goblins and their kind," His voice sharpened proudly as he spoke, but for a moment before it passed. "Are there more goblin sign nearby? If so, we should bring the battle to them once again."

He pointed to the tracks. "A mortal warrior, I would say, neither Elf nor Dwarf, nor a friend of the goblins." He pointed along the track, "But I lack anything more to say, I fear."

Gramtng nodded grimly to the huntress as she picked up Merovech's body. "We should... Make a couple stretchers. It will be more respectful. He turned to the dwarves, in hopes they were better with woodworking than he was. While he waited for a reply, and Idunn re-inspected the orcish tracks, it looked like there were two groups, both small - one that ended with a trail on the far side of the river, with Merovech's spear striking them both dead - and another on their side, leading towards a grove of trees; the same direction as another set of tracks lead, very different from goblin feet... Nori, as he inspected Odo's body, his eyes catching the bear pin, began to think through the events, now that the tragedy has caught up with him. The two orcs pierced by a spear could only be Merovech - it was fitting that in his last act, he managed to hurl a greatspear - a weapon not even meant for projectile use - to avenge himself. The effort likely cost him his last few seconds of life... Merovech was the Thane of Judgement, and Odo the Loyal(Thane of the Old Ford) was his battle-brother, who walked with him through many harsh combats and defended the younger thane. It was likely that Odo was returning to his post after helping Merovech, and Merovech was delivering a prisoner back to Carrock for a trial.

Anunngil's inspection of the boots doesnt yield much in the way of specifics: The boots were well-crafted, and, like Dahr-Ol said, this was unusual for a Beorning. Such craftsmanship was likely something to be seen in Dale or Esgaroth; dwarven boots were far heavier and a bit smaller, and if an elf passed through here, there would hardly be any tracks. So, it was safe to conclude the warrior that ran through here was a man, and no friend to goblins. The tracks of the man, plainly visible to all, trailed off in another direction, soon becoming difficult to follow as they moved from the mud to the fallen leaves.

[Make an Awareness Check - Annungil and Dahr-Ol]

On the suggestion of stretchers for the better carrying of the bodies Ingi quickly found a purpose in which he could distract himself from the feeling swirling around him. "Of course we should be able to construct something" - looking in the boat for oars and rope from which to begin, and silently offering his help in whatever carrying may be needed.

Fundor agrees with Nori's suggestion of taking care of Odo. But looking around them, he could see long and thin trees on the river bank. Fundor cut several thin trees and attach them with a rope (Craft roll). Then he asks Nori to help him bringing Odo on this improvised stretcher and covers the body with a blanket. "Now it's easier for us and better for him.". Then Fundor does the same for Medorech if Idunn agrees.

Dahr-Ol moved along the trail of the unknown man seeking any further clues. Circling back to Anunngil he shook his head. "I don't know what to make of the human. He seems un-wounded, and no goblin friend. But he's not one of us either. However, it might be best to follow the tracks back towards the river.

I hear noises, very faint. Voices perhaps. I don't think goblin, but it bears investigating. Entirely too many strangers are upon Beorn's land today, and I intend to find out why." Dahr-Ol drew both axes and set off towards the river. He set a slower than normal pace in the hope of masking his and Anunngil's approach.

Nori watches his cousin go about making the stretcher with a mild grin on his face. Most looking at him would walk away with the impression he was thinking to himself, "Now why didn't I think of that?" As Fundor goes about tying the sticks together, the dwarf playful chides him with, "Now you're taking all the fun out of it."

A quiet sigh is exhaled as the rust-haired dwarf looks towards the horizon in the direction of Beorn's house. There's some visible anxiety in the dwarf's posture, either hesitant to go see the skinchanger with such news or worried about their diminishing opportunity to catchup with the culprits. Regardless, he says nothing about what is on his mind, but the wheels are turning.

With the stretchers quickly constructed with skilled hands, both dead Beornings were gently placed upon them for transport. The moon was still out so the journey to Beorn's would not be a difficult one, even with the sorrowful weight that the company bore with them. As they took up the stretchers, however, two human silhouettes appeared from a nearby grove of trees...

As Annungil and Dahr-Ol make their way through the trees, carefully shifting aside the branches, they exit the grove and see the river's banks before them. Nearby, there is boat pulled ashore, two dwarves, two men, and a woman, all dressed in differing style of dress, who seem to be picking up stretchers with two more bodies on them. Neither is moving. A short distance away, a young boy holds a horse's reigns, and on the other aide of the river, there are two bodies with a giant spear thrust through both, pinning them to the ground. It is difficult to tell to whom the bodies belong to, from here, but they are quite short.

[Nothing
Roll as you see fit!]

[OOC: Quick post as I might be unavailable for the next couple of days.]

Idunn busied herself with the grim and rather unenviable task of setting her cousin's body on one of the stretchers hastily assembled by her companions. The strange shapes in the distance would have escaped her attention - so focused was she on this task - had it not been for Uthred, her loyal hound, who barked loudly upon seeing the two men approach. But Idunn's heart was bent on vengeance now, and she did not see the two men for who they truly were, not immediately in any case. For she feared that these might be orcs, returning to slay any survivors, perhaps not knowing that they had left none alive.

Seeing the dark shapes, she reached for her spear, and warned her companions before readying herself for battle.

"Dwarves and men. Carrying burdens from the river. And over there, two corpses. We have no doubt found the battle site. But why would their companion flee?

My master is not so fond of the dwarves, but he has not forbidden them passage to my knowledge. It would be a grim day indeed if dwarves and humans are in league with our enemies. We should be cautious. We do not know enough yet.

Annungil, I will approach the group, determine their intentions. You stay further back, out of bow shot. If I am felled, you must make for the Carrock and rouse my people. And mind the rear in case that fellow who ran off returns." Dahr-Ol watched the strangers for a few moments longer, hoping some further detail would present itself before he must confront the group.