The Tomb

hoverfrog

Hey there. This look really fun. I have a couple questions here:

Background, heritage, class, feat, equipment. Can we use uncommon or rare options?

Also, after being raised by the wizard: will we be compelled to his will to a certain degree or under some kind of geas? Not that I want to rebel and side track the game, but just to know the level of freedom we will have from the main npc.

Finally, we were all evil before, but is it possibke that the time passed in the boneyard gave the time for our character to regret what they did, and might have changed their alignment toward good at the beginning of the game?

6 hours ago, Harding said:
Finally, we were all evil before, but is it possible that the time passed in the boneyard gave the time for our character to regret what they did, and might have changed their alignment toward good at the beginning of the game?

I am also interested in the answer to this question.

Are Inventors allowed? Thinking of playing one who ended up brought back as a ghost in their custom armor set (a decent substitute for an intact body, so long as there's strong emotional ties ). Might also ask about some uncommon equipment whenever I get mechanics down, so wondering if you have any general or theming limits I should be aware of before suggesting them to you.

Know uh, Ustalav has some funky tech too, but it's mostly restricted to like, nobility and those who deal with high learning institutions, so I'm wondering if there's room for opportunities to interact with Stasian/electrical stuff. Or if the campaign's going to be too heavily focused on traditional undead theming to leave much space for that sort of thing.

To answer a few questions:

Uncommon and Rare options for your ABCs are all fine. Being undead is weird enough but if you want to go super weird and be a pressbanged skeleton ghost or a half elf anadi reborn soul vampire then go for it. Inventors with weird armour is good too.

As for being raised and controlled or compelled, yes, you'll have a geas added to you. The terms of the geas ritual performed on you after your reanimation are designed to lead to your retribution and prevent you going on a murder spree while in populated areas.

13 hours ago, Harding said:

Finally, we were all evil before, but is it possibke that the time passed in the boneyard gave the time for our character to regret what they did, and might have changed their alignment toward good at the beginning of the game?

Absolutely, if not good then neutral. You've had time to consider your actions and seek to understand where you went wrong in life. Of course, it is your actions in life that determine your ethical position so you've been unable to put your new insight into action.

24 minutes ago, Niblooey said:

Ustalav has some funky tech too, but it's mostly restricted to like, nobility and those who deal with high learning institutions, so I'm wondering if there's room for opportunities to interact with Stasian/electrical stuff. Or if the campaign's going to be too heavily focused on traditional undead theming to leave much space for that sort of thing.

Stasian tech is fine, though rare. I can imagine some weird things coming from its use but who am I to stand in the way of a good character concept.

Decided to go with a vampire magus, sounded fun. He just needs a name.

Should we decide why we came back as we did? Why is one a vampire while another is a ghoul?

It has been a good many years, so how are our bodies intact? Necromancer secrets?

Just wondering! This sounds like a fun game.

2 hours ago, omegoku said:

Decided to go with a vampire magus, sounded fun. He just needs a name.

Should we decide why we came back as we did? Why is one a vampire while another is a ghoul?

It has been a good many years, so how are our bodies intact? Necromancer secrets?

Just wondering! This sounds like a fun game.

Go for it. Ekul afflicted you with one kind of undeath for his own reasons, perhaps the ritual he used reflected your own personality or past in some way. Why were some bodies reconstructed and others destroyed so that the person came back as a ghost. You decide.

Uh, since there's a couple of ghosts, gonna post this here so you guys can like, reference or look it over, I guess.

Ghost Dedication • Archetype 2 • Become Ghost. Gain Basic Undead benefits, and the following abilities.
Basic Undead Benefits: Gain Low-light vision (or Darkvision), Negative Healing, Immunity to Death effects, +1 circumstance against Diseases and Poisons, & Negative Survival. Learn Necril
Floating: Swap Base speeds with a Fly speed, but is unable to hover more than a few inches off the ground. Ignores a lot of difficult terrain as a result, can still jump to vertically maneuver around.
Incorporeal: Corporeal creatures can pass through them, though said creatures can't end their turn on the same space. Can't pass through objects. [Note: This is extrapolated from the Incorporeal Trait itself, with most of the abilities cut out thanks to the Ghost archetype. There's also nothing mentioned about passing through other creatures in this trait, so I'm guessing you still need to like, Tumble Through or w/e, but kinda unsure.]
Incorporate Items: Can't interact with corporeal items directly, but can 'incorporate' them to convert them to an immaterial state with a 10 minute ritual. All weapons are treated as Ghost Touch, able to affect material and incorporeal creatures.
Ghost Attacks: All Unarmed Strikes are Magical, and deal Negative energy damage.
Incorporeal Strength: Retain Strength score, but can only attempt Strength-based skill checks (ie: Athletics) against other incorporeal creatures, not corporeal ones.
Ties that Bind - (XXX): [State your Unfinished Business here. Fulfilling it is what you need to survive.]

31 minutes ago, Niblooey said:

Uh, since there's a couple of ghosts, gonna post this here so you guys can like, reference or look it over, I guess.

Ghost Dedication • Archetype 2 • Become Ghost. Gain Basic Undead benefits, and the following abilities.
Basic Undead Benefits: Gain Low-light vision (or Darkvision), Negative Healing, Immunity to Death effects, +1 circumstance against Diseases and Poisons, & Negative Survival. Learn Necril
Floating: Swap Base speeds with a Fly speed, but is unable to hover more than a few inches off the ground. Ignores a lot of difficult terrain as a result, can still jump to vertically maneuver around.
Incorporeal: Corporeal creatures can pass through them, though said creatures can't end their turn on the same space. Can't pass through objects. [Note: This is extrapolated from the Incorporeal Trait itself, with most of the abilities cut out thanks to the Ghost archetype. There's also nothing mentioned about passing through other creatures in this trait, so I'm guessing you still need to like, Tumble Through or w/e, but kinda unsure.]
Incorporate Items: Can't interact with corporeal items directly, but can 'incorporate' them to convert them to an immaterial state with a 10 minute ritual. All weapons are treated as Ghost Touch, able to affect material and incorporeal creatures.
Ghost Attacks: All Unarmed Strikes are Magical, and deal Negative energy damage.
Incorporeal Strength: Retain Strength score, but can only attempt Strength-based skill checks (ie: Athletics) against other incorporeal creatures, not corporeal ones.
Ties that Bind - (XXX): [State your Unfinished Business here. Fulfilling it is what you need to survive.]

Wow! "Ghost Attacks" -- That's pretty cool.

13 minutes ago, Harding said:

Sooo... theorically, it is infinite healing for the party

Think there's a general rule on negative/positive damage not healing in 2e, and it's only specific effects that heal damage (like Heal/Harm spells, which only heal when you use the specific healing function). If you want infinite healing, maybe you should find a mysterious, ageless doctor who never tires.

1 minute ago, artsmythe said:

Wow! "Ghost Attacks" -- That's pretty cool.

It is, but don't think it's gonna be super useful in this game. Most undead are immune to negative damage, and we're gonna be fighting lots of undead, it looks like. Similar issue with the Strength ability, makes combat Athletics builds limited to just other ghosts and incorporeal creatures (at least until 6th level, where you can get a feat that lets you interact with stuff normally ...if you succeed at a DC 20 skill check). Ghosts can only grapple other ghosts, I guess.

I guess ghosts should stick to doing the bulk of their damage with spells then?

I haven't played a game with any ghost, ghouls or other monster archetypes so should make for an interesting one!

Actually, a Ghost is perfectly fine wielding a weapon, as any gear, and specifically weapons, they 'Incorporate' into their ghostly selves gain the benefit of a Ghost Touch weapon. So while Maughrim cannot Grapple, Shove or Trip on his own, due to the Incorporeal trait, when, at 4th level, he takes the Knockdown feat, he can Trip, since it is being performed with a Ghost Touch weapon.

The real drawback, though, is that in a party of corporeal adventurers, an unconscious ghost is unable to be healed with Treat Wounds, given a Potion by corporeal allies, etc. However, given the popularity of the archetype, it appears we might have one or two in the party, which would mean the ghosts could feed each other potions, etc.