What Are You Playing?

Scarecrow71

I'm still playing Elden Ring. It's been staggered progress for me ever since it came out; I'd play obsessively until I hit a difficult boss, get burnt out on suffering, put it down for a few months, come back and beat that PoS boss, and repeat. So here I am, like two years later, and my current wall is Malenia. What a beast of a boss. Absolute Lady-Goat. She has never known defeat, especially from my punk-@$$. Phase one is easy-peasy (mostly), but that phase two just . . . hurts my feelings.

After attempt twenty or so, I walked away from her, and have started pursuing other untrodden paths. Just last night, I found Astel, Naturalborn of the Stars. Finished him on second run, easy compared to the likes of Malenia, but a very cool boss battle nonetheless. Next up is to pursue the moon lady's questline.

Aside from elden Ring, I spontaneously come back to Dawn of War: Soulstorm (w/ Ultimate Apocalypse mod), Hearts of Iron 4 (w/ Old World Blues mod), and Medieval Total War 2.

• 5 weeks later...

I know I'm damned late to the party, but I'm finally playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 and it is, undoubtedly, a triumph in gaming. It was Baldur's Gate 3 before BG3 was a twinkle in our collective gaming eyes. You can go anywhere. You can do anything. You can go solo or adventure with a party and it just all works. Not only that, the game runs smooth as butter, even on the little ol' Switch!

If you love RPGs, and especially if you love turn-based gaming or the old pause-and-play style like the first two Baldur's Gate games, play this game if you haven't yet. There is literally no chance you won't love it.

Cheers and happy gaming in the new year, MWers!

Edited by Raistlinmc (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Raistlinmc said:

I know I'm damned late to the party, but I'm finally playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 and it is, undoubtedly, a triumph in gaming. It was Baldur's Gate 3 before BG3 was a twinkle in our collective gaming eyes. You can go anywhere. You can do anything. You can go solo or adventure with a party and it just all works. Not only that, the game runs smooth as butter, even on the little ol' Switch!

If you love RPGs, and especially if you love turn-based gaming or the old pause-and-play style like the first two Baldur's Gate games, play this game if you haven't yet. There is literally no chance you won't love it.

Cheers and happy gaming in the new year, MWers!

One thing I like about the Divinity series is how the characters you control gives you prompts for them to role play and stalk to themselves while advancing the story through what they are talking about.

Grimrock 2 was such a solid sequel. The updates to the classic style made for some really great gameplay. It doesn't really try to be more than what it should be either, which I can't say for some of the others of that genre that I've played since then. I have chased that nostalgia multiple times and Grimrock is still -to me- the new age-y one to beat.

My recent Divinity: OS2 run ended just as the last one did, with a whimper and not a boom. During my first run of the game, I was very much behind in many of the game's basic mechanics (read: skillbooks, gear, and money) and so the slog of being underpowered really made it quite the impressive feat. I never beat the final battle because my builds were just so terrible. Which is mostly on me, if I'm being honest. But I was there. Final fight. For me and my limited amount of gaming time, I consider it a win.

My second run, I somehow swung the other way and was just plowing through things with so much ease that the 'hard fights/challenges' were basically blind-spots in my entire foundation and I just eventually got tired of having missed certain things. I logged off one night and just didn't log back in.

So for this last run, I had a nice happy medium. I had the same party as run #1, but instead of Beast as my MC (and ruining his build with a sampling of everything) I used Fane and kept his skills mostly on-point for the little undead weirdo. Everyone was complimentary in skills and I had appropriate levels of skills, money, and gear.

Then the most dreaded of all things happened. I got a little bored with seeing the story play out 'mostly' the same way for the third time. Little things changed from the other runs and I even messed a few things up because during the second run I was so efficient that I forgot some of the nuances and just 'over-clicked' my way past the better plot results. Just before heading to the third locale (read: third full map), I just got real bored with the repetitive nature of my combats. I tried to challenge myself to switch things up a bit, but that late stage stuff in that act isn't really the place for 'trying unoptimized new things'.

So...

I re-installed Tyranny the other day and played for a few minutes. I like the isometric crpg vibe and my laptop doesn't explode when I play older games. I may need to power through the first bit soon and get to things I've never seen before or I'm liable to get stuck in that apathy zone again.

Beast is my main PC too, Basil! He's joined by Sebille, The Red Prince and (of course) Fane. I've done a decent job of optimizing those three companions this first time through the game (near the end of the 3rd full map currently, about to head to Arx), but I screwed up Beast a bit early on. Oh well. Still super fun and looking forward to the 4th and final act!

As for the other two you mentioned, I've never played Tyranny, but the Grimrock games are awesome. They're old school enough to make me feel like a kid again but not so unforgiving that I give up, like I did in those woods around Myth Drannor in Eye of the Beholder III. :)

Sebille was my second run MC. But #1 and #3 were sausage parties. Beast, Fane, Red Prince, and sniper-elite Ifan.

If you look it up online, we both missed out on the 'best' preset character of them all. Lohse is considered the most interesting MC according to the internet. Beast is like 5th or 6th. Oops. She didn't attract my attention the first run because I so disliked Divinity 1's tone that I was afraid to get it anywhere near me in the second game. By the time I got to the third attempt, I was in the mood to fix earlier mistakes. Maybe if I run it back again, I'll do a Thelma and Louise run.

I noticed a couple of people who posted in this thread play City of Heroes. I also play CoH on the Homecoming servers, specifically on the Excelsior shard.

Aside from that, I get good use out of my Meta Quest 2. I've got two VR games that I play pretty frequently, The Thrill of the Fight and Eleven Table Tennis.

I've never done VR, Mythical, but I guess at some point I'll have to get over being old and grouchy to give it a try. I am 40, after all, but not yet ancient or dead, I suppose. :)

And that's good to know, Basil! I never even talked to Lohse in this run until reaching the Academy of the Seven in Act III. At least with Ifan, I talked to him in Fort Joy and then told him to bugger off since I already had a full party. Clearly, when I play through this sucker again, I'll check in on Lohse and Ifan and probably ditch Beast and...hmmm...The Red Prince, I suppose.

On 1/2/2024 at 12:53 PM, Excior said:

One thing I like about the Divinity series is how the characters you control gives you prompts for them to role play and stalk to themselves while advancing the story through what they are talking about.

I loved that. The 5e-based game that wasn't BG3 and whose name I am struggling to recall right now had a form of that, too.

2 hours ago, cailano said:

I loved that. The 5e-based game that wasn't BG3 and whose name I am struggling to recall right now had a form of that, too.

Solsata

On 1/3/2024 at 2:55 PM, Mythical said:

I noticed a couple of people who posted in this thread play City of Heroes. I also play CoH on the Homecoming servers, specifically on the Excelsior shard.

Aside from that, I get good use out of my Meta Quest 2. I've got two VR games that I play pretty frequently, The Thrill of the Fight and Eleven Table Tennis.

Been playing COH on that server as well! I was super young when I last played it and have idea what I'm doing in it. The UI can be a bit funky but I'm getting a hang of it.

Feel free to say hi if you see me cruising around. I'm named CosmicVoice.