Should we remove the icon from OOC tag formatting?

Should we remove the icon from OOC tag formatting?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should we remove the icon from OOC tag formatting?

• Yes, we should remove the icon and keep the sanctity of IC text intact!
    • No, we should leave the icon and disrupt the flow of IC text most egregiously!

In case my own personal bias is not apparent, I dislike having this speech bubble icon -->in the ooc tagI don't mind the icon in the hidden text piece, but I hate having it displayed in the shown text..  For me it comes down to use case - I view the ooc tag as something used primarily in an IC block of text, where having an icon disrupts the flow much like having a smilie in there would.  For something like the spoiler tag I don't see it as an issue since spoilers are generally sitting outside of IC text so they aren't breaking things up. 

Edit: Obviously there would need to be some other formatting to indicate it was an ooc link, so something like dotted or wavy underlining, or a different color text or something.

Edited by Gralhruk (see edit history)

I don't particularly like the speech bubble as it is intrusive, but I do not like the underlining of ooc tags like a link and anyone can color them already and it would not stand out as an ooc tag.

A font change along with a squiggly underline might do it and that is standard CSS markup.  

However, I can see both sides of this issue.

It is supplementary information, which is often represented by dotted underline.  I think it is easy enough to make it look sufficiently different from a regular hyperlink, which would avoid confusion for anyone familiar with the site.

2 hours ago, Gralhruk said:

It is supplementary information, which is often represented by dotted underline.  I think it is easy enough to make it look sufficiently different from a regular hyperlink, which would avoid confusion for anyone familiar with the site.

dotted underline or overline is possible, either straight dotted or wavy.

image.png.acadee938045ef069da064852f5cb575.png

image.png.d1d07d449e076f7de3b7e9213970f781.png

2 hours ago, PigLickJF said:

Personally I like dotted, since wavy is typically a spellcheck thing (I know those don't show up in a post and would probably be colored differently, but I still think dotted would be more distinct).

I have now run a test of the changed code and dashed underline looks the best (if the vote is to change it)

image.png.f7dc5452471de9546419394ab654123b.png

We will let the poll run for a couple of weeks and see where we sit at that time.

I think the Dashed Underline idea is a good one - it's still distinct enough from hyperlinks and standard underlined text, but isn't obtrusive when used in IC text. @bwatford - you got a knack for this sorta thing.

Personally, I don't find the speech bubble to be an issue, but I'm just not used to seeing it, so I tend to miss it.  But I haven't been using Baldr much so far, so take that opinion with a grain of salt.

• 2 weeks later...

OOC

OOCText

OOC

I think its too close to just a straight underline. I get its a thicker line and stuff but someone reading at a glace / speed reading (which I often skim read when I am looking for a specific reference ect or my first pass) it doesn't appear different like hyperlinks do by default / looks like a fancy underline (which I think you can do in source yourself?)

Needs something more distinctive, I also didn't like the speech bubble. OGMW handled it by looking like an underlined hyperlink, Hyperlinks are underlined here, can we look like a non-underlined hyperlink?

Edited by SerakHawk (see edit history)

Here is your choice of lines:

• underline
  • overline

Now that line can be:

• solid
  • dashed
  • dotted
  • wavy

The text and line can be colored the same or differently.

You also can put a line over and under.

Here are the downsides:

Straight lines look like links.

Wavy lines look like misspelling's grammar issues.

dotted and dashed lines do not stand out enough.

We also can use any font awesome icon before or after.

Icons | Font Awesome

We also could use text in front or behind like ~OOC Tag~ or [OOC Tag]  

Or we could shade it. OOC Tag and we could even fade out the background color some to make it semi-transparent.

I am kind of leaning toward just highlighting them OOC Tag with a theme appropriate color.

Of course, we could do eyes....  This is how we could do image.png.6a57198cc15d03018ef337b481315e32.pngOOC Tags.   Or something not so 1007129021_reddot.png.e9ce700179a9db0839bdc8acbe2cd943.pngOOC Intrusive or something a little more image.png.5129f4b30fe47308c3b32ef8b0f032b6.pngOOC appropriate or smaller magnifier image.png.5129f4b30fe47308c3b32ef8b0f032b6.pngOOC icon.

lol

hey wait.... I kind of like that red swirl dot thing.  Could also color the magnifying glass as well. .....

So, lets see how it look in a sentence where we learn about 1007129021_reddot.png.e9ce700179a9db0839bdc8acbe2cd943.pnggoblins and their kin. (not an actual OOC yet, so stop clicking it.)

Or perhaps some image.png.58c84b7ee0137cc7b3b26f52c3268e6d.pngorcs and theirs.