Chapter One - Blood on the Crown

bwatford

image.jpeg.6e2c0e136f0df5812ee99688a3dc909b.jpeg

CHAPTER ONE - BLOOD ON THE CROWN

Making the tough two-day journey back to Onadbyr seemed to go much slower than the journey to Willow Creek, perhaps it was the thousand questions from Byra or perhaps it was the eagerness for home and a soft bed.  Either way, the journey did finally end, and the next morning the parents of the halfling girl were overjoyed to see their daughter returned home safe. By all accounts the Halfling's Treasure pastry and candy shop was famous all over the capital, and now that they had rescued their oldest daughter, Taem and Gyo were bound to spread the word of their deeds. But more importantly was the payment for their services, their first official payment as an adventuring company. It was truly an exciting time.

They had never really set a solid price before undertaking the job, probably a little over eager on their part, but surely a successful business like the Halfling's Treasure would have just means to offer payment. And offer payment they did, everything they had saved the halfling couple sat out on the table, a wide assortment of both coin and trinkets that totaled just over a thousand gold in all (1,012) and told our heroes they could take whatever it was they felt was fair for the task that was taken.  It was an odd way to negotiate but effective as the couple waited for the group to take what they thought they deserved.

On This Jundiel (Tuesday), the 34th Day of Camua (Autumn), in the 631st Year of the Age of Kings
10:00 am

This is the morning of the 3rd day, after two days of hard travel to get home. You can remove two rations each for the trip back.

The 5th Day of the Campaign

Show Active Maps

Currently Not in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION

Egg 17 | Gwydion 17 | Baldur 15 | Kythera 14 | Yaldiled 13 | Skogrinn 12

INITIATIVE

Not in Use!!

MECHANICS

Not in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Not in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

BALDUR STONEBOW

Hit Points: 49/49 (RESIST:poison; ADVSAVTYPE: poisoned)
Hit Dice: 5/5
Spell Slots (+5, DC 13) *L

• 1st Level: 4/4
  • 2nd Level: 2/2

DM Inspiration: 1/1

EGG

Hit Points: 38/38 (ADVSAVTYPE: charmed; IMMUNITIES: magic sleep)
Hit Dice: 5/5

Channel Divinity: 1/1 *S/L
Channel Divinity (AotD): 1/1 *L
Eyes of the Night: 1/1 *L
Spell Slots (+8, DC 16) *L

• 1st Level: 4/4
  • 2nd Level: 3/3
  • 3rd Level: 2/2

DM Inspiration: 1/1

GWYDION BLACK

Hit Points: 33/33 (Uncanny Dodge)

KYTHERA SYRAS

Hit Points: 29/29

Arcane Recovery: 1/1 *L
Cloak of Darkness: 1/1 *S/L
Shadow Shield: 1/1 *S/L
Dissonant Whispers *1/1 L
Misty Step *1/1 L
Spell Slots Cleric (+4, DC 12), Wizard (+8, DC 16) *L

• 2nd Level: 3/3
  • 3rd Level: 2/2

SKÓGRINN

Hit Points: 31/31 (ADVSAVTYPE: charmed; IMMUNE: magic sleep)
Fey Step: 3/3 *L
Pact of the Talisman: 3/3 *L
Tentacle of the Deep: 3/3 *L
Spell Slots (+8, DC 16) *L

• 1st Level: 2/2 (Sorcerer)
  • 2nd Level: 2/2 (Warlock)

YALDILED GURVYS

Hit Points: 38/38 (RESIST:cold; IMMUNE: disease)
Bardic Inspiration: 2/3 (d8) *L
Breath Weapon: 1/1 *S
Divine Sense: 4/4 *L
Lay on Hands: 20/20 *L
Spell Slots (+6, DC 14) *L

Baldur

Baldur Stonebow Dwarf Ranger 5Baldur(3).jpg.a5cbe35aa8f560308a6e2bd9dfb1e0d6.jpg

image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 15 (chain shirt) | HP: 49/49 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 15 
Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +5 | Spell DC: 13
Spells Known | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Baldur is very happy to be back home and to have successfully completed their first mission as a group. He ponders what is heaped on the table in front of the group. While part is tempted to take it all and teach them a lesson on negotiating prices, he also wants to make a good name for the group. He confers quietly with the others.

I am thinking 600 gold. We each get 50 to cover our expenses and we put the other 300 into a group fund to help cover the costs of traveling and such for our next job. After all the job wasn't really that hard and if we don't take all their money then maybe they will put out the word that we are an honest group and help us get more jobs.

We really do need to come up with a name for our group.

He glances around to see if the others think that is too much or too little.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Heavy Crossbow
Off Hand: Heavy Crossbow

Action:
Bonus Action:
Move:
Manipulate:

Racial ability - Colossus Slayer: it target is hit by a weapon and is below maximum hit points it takes an additional 1d8 once per turn.

PC

Kythera Syras "Ky" Human Cleric 1 / Wizard 4 Applicationspacer.png

AC: 16 (chain shirt and shield) | HP: 29 /29 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 14 | Features

Kythera is excited to be back in Onadbyr and get to sleep in her own bed. But first they need to return Byra and collect their reward. She thinks it's funny that we didn't negotiate a price up front. We clearly need someone with better business sense than her. She nods along to Baldur's suggestion.

"600 seems fair. It would give us enough money to hire a receptionist. What do you think, Byra? Taem and Gyo, we'll keep her away from any danger."

She had already worked out with Byra what we should call her new position so her parents wouldn't worry too much.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Shield

Bonus Action: none

Move: none

Action:

Reactions: use shield if it would block a hit, maybe use shadow shield

Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Concentration:

Notes

Byra, halfling daughter of Taem and Gyo

Willow Creek, built right into the side of a large hill it was, they were immediately accosted by a hoarde of beggars as they made their way into the village. They found the village to have no walls and no real militia that they could see. Prominent buildings were:

the Crossed Guard (blacksmith),

the Wise Owl (tavern): Lewis Pickerton (proprietor), Eldeth (dwarf on Inspiration Dust)

Roots and Hourglass (alchemist),

the Bearded Cabinet (general store),

the Temple of the Eternal Mother (church).

Flask and Rat, inn run by a dwarf

Sheriff Kendall

PC

Egg High Elf Cleric 5spacer.png

AC: 17 (breastplate, shield, dex) | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 17 
Spell Slots: 1st 3/4, 2nd 2/3, 3rd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +8 | Spell DC: 16 | DM Inspiration: 1/1
Eyes of the Night (Share): 1/1 | Channel Divinity: 1/1 | Channel Divinity (AotD): 1/1

Egg is only slightly reluctant to leave so soon, very interested to try this substance that helps one think... with a backlash at the end. With the dangerous part of the work done, he starts to slip into his more playful self. However, he respects the group's wishes, and is probably all the best for it. As to the other young Halfling woman... time is an interesting meal, and one never knows when paths cross again or new opportunities arise. The logic that they need to get settled first before helping others, as dull as it is compared to taking risky chances... is sound.

He is more than eager to answer Byra's questions, at least the ones he can answer. He doesn't lose his patience with questions hardly ever, and Byra is no exception.

"A name... I'd hardly be a good priest if I didn't at least recommend something with light and darkness like the Dawn and Dusk Company, or the Illuminators. Then again, we are... straightforward in getting a good job done. Something that has that sort of ring like the Taskers, or Helping Hand also works." Not particularly committed to any name he's offering, Egg busies himself looking at the assortment of treats and desserts letting others have a chance to weigh in on a name. He has no qualm about the fair price.

Mechanics

Off Hand: Empty

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

PC

Harder Nug Human Fighter 5Harder_tok.png.e612aaca94a1ac877f2e6d5821973c76.png

AC: 19 (scale mail and shield) | HP: 49/49 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 14 
Second Wind 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Even Harder doesn't want to completely fleece the halflings and agrees that 600 is probably a fair price. He's content to put half the money toward funding future ventures if it means he doesn't have to put out for road expenses but he's much less keen on using it to take on a halfling secretary.

"Helping Hands makes us sound like a charitable organization", he remarks. "But Taskers isn't bad. Short and sweet. Might be lucky to name us for our first job though... Fortunate Web. Iron Spikes. The Wayward Companions. The Cruel Gift..."

Mechanics

Main Hand: +1 Longsword

Action: None
Bonus Action: None
Move: None
Manipulate: None.

Baldur

Baldur Stonebow Dwarf Ranger 5Baldur(3).jpg.a5cbe35aa8f560308a6e2bd9dfb1e0d6.jpg

As the names are tossed around he cringes at a few of them, others aren't so bad. He actually hopes to stay away from the light and darkness aspect for historical reasons.

How about something like The Valorous Venturers. Valorous indicating we are willing to defend others and help out and Venturers would add in that we are interested in more than just bodyguard jobs. We could use a double V as our symbol.

He makes a rough drawing on the table with his finger.

doublev.jpg.e32b4ed0f602ca38537ae08ba7a362ff.jpg

As everyone seems to agree with him for the total he tells the Taem and Gyo.

600 gold is a fair price. Thank you for your business. Glad we could bring her back in one piece.

He counts out 50 gold for each of them and then tucks the other 300 into a sack and puts it in his backpack for now. They can decide how and who best to hold on to it later. He turns to the group.

Now that our business is concluded, why don't we go find somewhere to sit and discuss our next job?

Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Move:
Manipulate:

Racial ability - Colossus Slayer: it target is hit by a weapon and is below maximum hit points it takes an additional 1d8 once per turn.

Yaldiled Gurvys Dragonborn Paladin 4/Bard 1

spacer.png

AC: 19 | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 13 | Spell Attack: +6 | Spell DC: 14 | DM Inspiration: 1/1
Cantrips; Vicous Mockery, Minor Illusion, Spare the Dying, Guidance
Memorized Spells;
Level 1 | ▣ ▣ ▣ ▢ | Ensnaring Strike, Wrathful Smite, Bless, Command, Purify Food and Drink, Dissonant Whispers, Earth Tremor, Thunderwave, Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Level 2 | ▣ ▢ |

Yaldiled considers the insignia on the table. "I think I agree with this one. Valorous Venturers has a nice ring to it. And also on the distribution of gold, it seems more than fair." Saving some for the group as a whole only made sense, and she wasn't desperate for coin. She decides to stay out of the discussion about the halfling girl and her possibly being with the group. She thought it was too soon, but if she was willing and it kept her out of trouble...maybe.

Mechanics

Main Hand: +1 Warhammer

Bardic Inspiration 2/3

1st level spell slots 3/4

Action:
Bonus Action:
Move:

PC

Gwydion Black Human Rogue 5https://www.dandwiki.com/w/images/3/3a/Daring_swashbuckler.jpg

AC: 17 (Studded leather and dual wielding) | HP: 30/33 | Initiative: +5 | Passive Perception: 15 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Gwydion takes the small pile of gold with a grin and sweeps it all into his pouch, except for one coin. He flips it and rolls it between his fingers, entertaining himself with the glitter. He tips his hat to the halfling family and follows his companions out. "Valorous Venturers..." He considered the name. "Bit hard to say, if I'm honest. I've heard worse ideas, though."

He nods at Baldur's suggestion. "I nominate a pub as the place of our discussion and disputation." He flicks the coin up into the air and catches it on the way down. "First round's on me." 

As they head on their way, he wonders aloud. "So, we do still need to get a patron to be entirely official, do we not?" He looks at the signet ring on his finger and buffs it against his jerkin. "I'd offer to do it, but... Well, I'm not sure I qualify."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Rapier
Off Hand: shortsword

Action:
Bonus Action:
Move:

PC

AC: 19 (scale mail and shield) | HP: 49/49 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 14 

"I could live with Valorous Venturers. 'Valorous' might suggest a tendency to selfless heroics for some but, as long as we don't get that idea, that sort of bilge does sell. Probably better than anything I came up with. Never claimed to be a bloody idea man...."

"Do we need a patron? A steady source of income would be nice but I think I'd rather we keep our independence, choosing our own jobs, and not be at some rich bastards beck and call."

He grunts. "On the other hand, do we have any job prospects at the moment? I mean, we could check the taverns and boards, but aybe we could lean into the adventuring angle.... Not a sure payday, but if that kid could find something like that statue on the outskirts of the ruins, there might be something worth finding inside...."

Mechanics

Edited by The Eyeball Kid (see edit history)

PC

AC: 16 (chain shirt and shield) | HP: 29 /29 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 14 | Features

Kythera looks over the symbol that Baldur draws and and approves, but the name doesn't roll off the tongue for her. She looks at Byra as she makes her recommendation.

"I suggest we call ourselves the Manticore Mercenaries. We could taxidermy the head and mount it in the reception, use the skin as a rug, and everyone wear a manticore spike on a necklace as a medallion. All thanks to Baldur's efforts in preserving as much as he could. And it would let our receptionist tell our story whenever someone stopped in. Our sign could look like this."

She waves her hand and an image of a shield appears on the table.

spacer.png

Mechanics

Action:

Concentration:

Notes

Willow Creek, built right into the side of a large hill it was, they were immediately accosted by a hoarde of beggars as they made their way into the village. They found the village to have no walls and no real militia that they could see. Prominent buildings were:

the Wise Owl (tavern): Lewis Pickerton (proprietor), Eldeth (dwarf on Inspiration Dust)

Sheriff Kendall

Edited by BobtheWizard (see edit history)

Baldur

Maybe we just call ourselves The Manticores and drop the mercenary bit. I don't care for that word. It tends to have a negative connotation to it. Most consider a mercenary as someone who will do anything as long as he gets paid for it. I am hoping we will be a little more discerning in our choices.

As for all the rest, you are getting way ahead of yourself. We have no place to work from, so no reception area to hang the head and we do not have a receptionist. We have just got started in this endeavor, we should make sure we are going to be successful before we start hiring people to work for us. So for now, let's stop trying to hire every single person we encounter.

First we would need to find a sponsor, someone to be the face of the group and they would deal with the task of receptionist and talking to potential clients. But it needs to be someone we can trust to not get us into anything criminal.

I was thinking, my family runs a successful construction business and is located just outside of the city. Perhaps they would sponsor us or possibly have some ideas on who might be willing. They are always looking out for good business deals and might be willing.

But I do like the idea of mounting the head and saving it until we have a base of operations and the spikes and rug idea. Providing I did a good enough job salvaging them to allow for stuff and turning into a rug.

Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Move:
Manipulate:

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)

PC

Harder leans back, stretching out his legs and cleaning his nails with the tip of a dagger.

"You're really going hard for that secretary, ain'tcha?", he remarks. "I do like the Manticores, 'Merc' or no -- no offense taken, by the way.... Strong. Dangerous. Lacks the suggestion that we might be do-gooders. And it's got that first mission luck I mentioned too. It's a great sigil and the manticore spike medallion, and other manticore bits once we've got a place for 'em, makes a strong statement too."

"I suppose I don't have an objection to your family finding us work, long as we're not beholden and free to pursue our own leads as well. Nothing criminal is fine, once you go down that route you get a rep and it tends to be all you can get, but I could handle slightly shady...."

Mechanics

PC

Kythera dismisses the illusion and looks to Byra.

"We need to get some things settled first. As soon as we are ready for a receptionist, we'll let you know. Then we can start your training. In the meantime, don't go get yourself in trouble again."

Mechanics

Action:

Concentration:

Notes

Sheriff Kendall

PC

Egg High Elf Cleric 5spacer.png

AC: 17 (breastplate, shield, dex) | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 17 
Spell Slots: 1st 3/4, 2nd 2/3, 3rd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +8 | Spell DC: 16 | DM Inspiration: 1/1
Eyes of the Night (Share): 1/1 | Channel Divinity: 1/1 | Channel Divinity (AotD): 1/1

"I suppose the Manticores is a fair name. For me, it's a reminder to not suffer the same fate as Byra's prize... to be a bit wiser and less prone to fall into a web, literal or otherwise." He listens close to his companions, learning a little more about each of them.

Harder is much like his name, preferring to at least present us on the rougher edge...

Baldur holds true to his sense of honor, of right and wrong...

Yaldiled holds back... something to tease out...

Gwydion says a drink so I do not have to, how wonderful to have a partner is pushing us towards celebration...

Kythera wants a receptionist... as proof that we've made it? to take care of the mundane tasks? something else? Depending what it is, perhaps we can settle it even before we hire extra help...

"I also like the name as I think for as much as we've tried to teach Byra a thing or two, she has taught us much as well. For whatever mistakes she made, she did single-handedly trap a monster far more deadly than she. She surpassed everyone's expectations just as we intend to."

Mechanics

Off Hand: Empty

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

image.jpeg.6e2c0e136f0df5812ee99688a3dc909b.jpeg

CHAPTER ONE - BLOOD ON THE CROWN

The group concluded their business with the halflings and began discussing a proper name, of course it was not an easy solution, and it was getting very close to lunchtime. Plus, some of the group, well at least one, had mentioned going to a tavern. That meant only one place, the Lucky Leap. As all the locals of the North District frequented the place, the group had begun to do so as well over the last few weeks.  Since their company would be located in the district, they wanted to make their faces a well-known sight.

The Lucky Leap was a relatively small establishment for a tavern, but it was always filled with loud music and laugher, and the aging owner, Ricio Tane was a friendly enough fellow.  Offering the chance at free drinks just for stopping by. Today would be no different. Approaching the heavy doors of the tavern, the game was already playing over in the minds of some of the group, time to earn that free drink today, as the Lucky leap was famous for their alcoholic creations.

The door boy was already opening the heavy doors, which showed the jump line just beneath them, just before the stepdown into the main taproom, the faded lines painted on the wood of the old floor marked the goals for each jumping entrance, a line at 10-feet, 15-feet, 20-feet, 25-feet, and the final line at 30-feet.

Words need not be said as some were already picking up the pace to make their entrance into the Lucky Leap, and once again embrace the crowded and smoke-filled establishment that smelled of beer and tobacco mixed with sweat and greeted by the cheering and laughter that greeted each new arrival.

On This Jundiel (Tuesday), the 34th Day of Camua (Autumn), in the 631st Year of the Age of Kings
11:13 am

Scene Instructions
Everyone makes an Athletics or Acrobatics check on entrance. (See Rewards Below)
NO magic can be used.
Your next post should include the roll and a description of the results below.

Roll Reward
Less than 6 Fall on your face, etc. be creative.
6-9 Missed making the first line, the crowd booed you upon making the attempt.
10-14 Small glass of beer.
15-19 Mug of ale.
20-24 Two mugs of ale.
25-29 Three bottles of red wine.
30+ (Never been achieved so far.) Entire barrel of red wine.

The 5th Day of the Campaign

Show Active Maps

Currently Not in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION

Egg 17 | Gwydion 17 | Baldur 15 | Kythera 14 | Yaldiled 13 | Skogrinn 12

INITIATIVE

Not in Use!!

MECHANICS

Not in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Not in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

BALDUR STONEBOW

Hit Points: 49/49 (RESIST:poison; ADVSAVTYPE: poisoned)
Spell Slots (+5, DC 13) *L

EGG

Hit Points: 38/38 (ADVSAVTYPE: charmed; IMMUNITIES: magic sleep)
Hit Dice: 5/5

Channel Divinity (AotD): 1/1 *L
Eyes of the Night: 1/1 *L
Spell Slots (+8, DC 16) *L

• 1st Level: 4/4
  • 2nd Level: 3/3
  • 3rd Level: 2/2

DM Inspiration: 1/1

GWYDION BLACK

Hit Points: 33/33 (Uncanny Dodge)

KYTHERA SYRAS

Hit Points: 29/29

Arcane Recovery: 1/1 *L
Cloak of Darkness: 1/1 *S/L
Shadow Shield: 1/1 *S/L
Dissonant Whispers *1/1 L
Misty Step *1/1 L
Spell Slots Cleric (+4, DC 12), Wizard (+8, DC 16) *L

• 2nd Level: 3/3
  • 3rd Level: 2/2

SKÓGRINN

Hit Points: 31/31 (ADVSAVTYPE: charmed; IMMUNE: magic sleep)
Fey Step: 3/3 *L
Pact of the Talisman: 3/3 *L
Tentacle of the Deep: 3/3 *L
Spell Slots (+8, DC 16) *L

• 1st Level: 2/2 (Sorcerer)
  • 2nd Level: 2/2 (Warlock)

YALDILED GURVYS

Hit Points: 38/38 (RESIST:cold; IMMUNE: disease)
Bardic Inspiration: 2/3 (d8) *L
Breath Weapon: 1/1 *S
Divine Sense: 4/4 *L
Lay on Hands: 20/20 *L
Spell Slots (+6, DC 14) *L