Chapter One - Blood on the Crown

bwatford

NPC

image.png.709f79ac6fa3e18a765759276a4078d7.pngRicio Tane Human Proprietor of the Lucky Leap

Baldur moved to the bar and inquired with Ricio about the ideas that the group had about working out of the bar. The older gentleman was taken aback by the request, at least at first. Then smiled, "You know, I just might be able to accommodate your request. I do have two meeting rooms upstairs that get used on occasion by various groups and individuals. I see no reason you could not use them as well when you needed. With advance notice of course."

"Fee would be two gold when you needed to use it for your business purposes. However, with only three private booths down here, I could not always promise you one would be empty. And you could always keep a flyer up on the board for your services, and have messages left with the bar. Although if it gets too much, there would be a fee. I mean we can't be your personal secretary without something in return." he said again with a smile.

NPC

Lord Cyne Monder Dwarf Crownwardenimage.png.bbc38ab8620fc7312b363c727c8c7546.png

The doors of the Lucky Leap open and the visage of Crownwarden Lord Cyne Monder, a recognizable and much-respected member of the Royal Court and Lord Protector of the Crown stood in the door a moment before stepping across the threshold, choosing not to participate in the folly of the leap.

He seems to be in a hurry as he curtly nods to his old friend Ricio Tane before approaching one of the private booths to conduct a seemingly important discussion with a humble innocent looking halfling. Not bothering to close the curtain of the booth it is easy to overhear their conversation.

The two seem to be negotiating over the price of a large colorful feather, which they both handle with great care as if it was of a very exquisite and expensive nature.

"I know it is rare, but is it this rare?" Lord Cyne Monder says as he haggles over the price.

Feather.png.7fa8ff5f333c7485bf3a9f9e16fe5c08.png

NPC

Raffolk Ginsi Young HalflingRaffolk.png.aea14d6916111f7bf38a3c7d54e0d9a3.png

“I can go as low as 535 gold pieces, not a copper less. I have seven children to feed and some significant debts to settle.” the halfling man replies.

Baldur

Baldur Stonebow Dwarf Ranger 5Baldur(3).jpg.a5cbe35aa8f560308a6e2bd9dfb1e0d6.jpg

image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 15 (chain shirt) | HP: 49/49 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 15 
Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +5 | Spell DC: 13
Spells Known | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Not meaning to eavesdrop, Baldur cannot help but notice the colorful feather. He racks his brain trying to think if he has ever heard of a bird or other feathered creature that has feathers that look like that.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Heavy Crossbow
Off Hand: Heavy Crossbow

Action:
Bonus Action:
Move:
Manipulate:

Racial ability - Colossus Slayer: it target is hit by a weapon and is below maximum hit points it takes an additional 1d8 once per turn.

Name
whichever knowledge check applies
1d20 18

PC

Kythera Syras "Ky" Human Cleric 1 / Wizard 4 Applicationspacer.png

AC: 16 (chain shirt and shield) | HP: 29 /29 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 14 | Features

Kythera sits down and examines the board, sipping at her drink a couple of times and then letting it sit on the table.

"Hello, Khari. It is nice to meet you. I'd love to play a few hands, but I don't have much to gamble. Just a few silver pieces at most."

She startes playing with him and doesn't even try to win the first two games. She just learns the rules, studies his moves, and tries to develop some strategies for herself. Perhaps she can do some things that might surprise even the creator of the game.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: empty

Bonus Action: none

Move: none

Action:

Reactions: use shield if it would block a hit, maybe use shadow shield

Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Concentration:

Notes

Byra, halfling daughter of Taem and Gyo

Willow Creek, built right into the side of a large hill it was, they were immediately accosted by a hoarde of beggars as they made their way into the village. They found the village to have no walls and no real militia that they could see. Prominent buildings were:

the Crossed Guard (blacksmith),

the Wise Owl (tavern): Lewis Pickerton (proprietor), Eldeth (dwarf on Inspiration Dust)

Roots and Hourglass (alchemist),

the Bearded Cabinet (general store),

the Temple of the Eternal Mother (church).

Flask and Rat, inn run by a dwarf

Sheriff Kendall

Kharis, dwarf necromancer that plays Battlechess

Crownwarden Lord Cyne Monder, a recognizable and much-respected member of the Royal Court and Lord Protector of the Crown

PC

Harder Nug Human Fighter 5Harder_tok.png.e612aaca94a1ac877f2e6d5821973c76.png

AC: 19 (scale mail and shield) | HP: 49/49 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 14 
Second Wind 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Harder couldn't care less about the feather but definitely perks up at the mention of what the halfling is asking for it. "Must be some damn rare bird", he muses, wracking his brain to try and remember if he's ever heard of anyone paying that much for a feather before. He's not terribly subtle about his attention given that he figures that Baldur's not going to let him mug the halfling for it anyhow....

After a moment it occurs to him to wonder if the halfling might not be running some sort of con and observes more closely for some sign that he's working the man.

Mechanics

Main Hand: +1 Longsword
Off Hand: Shield

Action: None
Bonus Action: None
Move: None
Manipulate: None.

Edited by The Eyeball Kid (see edit history)
Name
Historical Ponderings
1d20-1 16
Insight
1d20+1 9

PC

Egg High Elf Cleric 5spacer.png

AC: 17 (breastplate, shield, dex) | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 17 
Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3, 3rd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +8 | Spell DC: 16 | DM Inspiration: 1/1
Eyes of the Night (Share): 1/1 | Channel Divinity: 1/1 | Channel Divinity (AotD): 1/1

As Egg is stepping away to find some strangers to drink and carouse with, he can't help but stop in his tracks at the exchange over the feather. It's not that the Elf has a particular fancy for feathers, or even knows what it is. He is a sucker for something to spend all his money on and then some, to take a chance whether it's worth five times as much or barely even a few coppers.

He without shame or concerns finds his legs moving to the bartering. "My my, and what is this? How much gold did you say? That seems... possible." Egg frowns slightly knowing that he only holds 100 gold from their latest work, plus the small change he had before. He'd need to convince everyone to chip in. "What is it?" It's only then he decides to learn more, once again not troubled about butting into a conversation he is clearly not meant to be a participant in.

Mechanics

Off Hand: Empty

Action: Insight check? Looking to where he can enjoy his drinks and meet new fun people.
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

NPC

Khari Dwarf Necromancer, first met at the Lucky LeapKhari.jpg.0dd584c01c82c443cfbad5bfd300bdab.jpg

Khari worked to teach Ky over the first couple games rather than try to play to win, careful to explain strategies and moves as he went. When the girl explained she did not have much money to wager, the man simply placed his hand on top of hers, "Your company is nice to have, and your pale skin is nice to look upon." he said with a smile as he continued.

Once the lessons were done, they played out there first real game, Ky did not do very well but it seemed that Khari was playing down to her level and barely managed to win the game. The second game went much the same except Khari played much better winning quickly and decisively against his opponent. The third game caught the man off guard as Ky implored an aggressive strategy that he was not expecting and won the game in very short order without losing many pieces as well.

"Good, very good. It seems you are learning how to best me; I will be ready for you next time." he said with a wink.

NPC

Lord Cyne Monder Dwarf Crownwardenimage.png.bbc38ab8620fc7312b363c727c8c7546.png

It seemed that Baldur had figured out what the two men were bargaining over, a Couatl's feather. A rarely seen celestial serpent. But before the bargaining could continue, Egg had interjected much to the displeasure of Lord Monder who turned to the monk and said "It is a very rare feather, and one that would be better suited to a collector. If you would excuse us good sir."

He turned back to the halfling "You have got yourself a deal. Five hundred and thirty-five gold pieces. SOLD" he said to seal the deal before Egg could offer more. "Come by the keep later today to pick up your coin and drop off that prize feather." he again gives Egg a stern look before standing up nodding again to Riccio and departing hastily from the tavern.

Feather.png.7fa8ff5f333c7485bf3a9f9e16fe5c08.png

NPC

Raffolk Ginsi Young HalflingRaffolk.png.aea14d6916111f7bf38a3c7d54e0d9a3.png

“Agreed my Lord” the halfling man replies with a huge smile and a handshake before the man departed, as soon as he did so, the halfling let out a big sigh of relief before turning to Egg "Do I hear 600 gold?" he pondered if the monk would pay more.

When Egg reached for the feather, the halfling held up his hands, "You can look, but do not touch, the feather is very delicate and worth more without any more splits in the veins."

Baldur

Baldur Stonebow Dwarf Ranger 5Baldur(3).jpg.a5cbe35aa8f560308a6e2bd9dfb1e0d6.jpg

Baldur shakes his head as Egg once again shows a total lack of manners and butts into the conversation over the feather. Once the Lord leaves he moves over to the table and inquires of the halfling.

Excuse, I could not help noticing the beautiful feather. I was wondering how you managed to find a Couatl feather? The creatures are very rare and do not usually leave them lying around. May I get a closer look, without touching it of course?

He tries to determine if it is a fake or not.

Egg, go ask Ky to come over here and take a look at this.

Looking back a the halfling.

We might be interested and meet your price, if my friend says it passes inspection.

If Ky agrees and comes over to look Baldur will explain the feather appears to be Couatl feather and asks her if she can cast Detect Magic on it to prove it is not some sort of illusion fake.

Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Move:
Manipulate:

Racial ability - Colossus Slayer: it target is hit by a weapon and is below maximum hit points it takes an additional 1d8 once per turn.

PC

Kythera Syras "Ky" Human Cleric 1 / Wizard 4 Applicationspacer.png

AC: 16 (chain shirt and shield) | HP: 29 /29 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 14 | Features

Kythera tries to learn the rules for a couple games while Khari takes it easy on her. He pummels her the first game he tries, but then she sees a possible flame in his strategy and is able to take advantage of it quickly, before he realizes his mistake. He's unlikely to do that again.

"Thanks for showing me this game, Khari. It was nice to meet you. I'd love to play again someday. Maybe we'll see each other here again, but I'm going to be busy. My friends and I have started a mercenary company - the Manticores."

She waits to see if he has anything else to say. When Baldur asks Egg to call her over, she hears her name and looks over. Are they thinking of buying a Couatl feather? And they complained about me wanting to pay a few gold per month for a receptionist. She walks over and introduces herself to the halfling.

"Hi. I'm Kythera. Selling a Caouatl feather, huh? What do those go for these days?" When he responds with 600gp, she looks askance at Egg and Baldur, before letting the halfling know we can't afford that. What would we even do with it?

"I doubt we can afford that, but sure, I'll see if it's magical. Give me a few minutes. Oh, if you buy and sell monster parts, would you be interested in any manticore parts? Head, pelt, or a few spikes?"

She then sits down at the table, pulls out her spellbook, lights some incense, and starts chanting quietly to perform her ritual.

Mechanics

Off Hand: empty

Move: none

Action: 10 minute ritual for detect magic

Bonus Action: none

Reactions: use shield if it would block a hit, maybe use shadow shield

Concentration:

Notes

Byra, halfling daughter of Taem and Gyo

Willow Creek, built right into the side of a large hill it was, they were immediately accosted by a hoarde of beggars as they made their way into the village. They found the village to have no walls and no real militia that they could see. Prominent buildings were:

the Crossed Guard (blacksmith),

the Wise Owl (tavern): Lewis Pickerton (proprietor), Eldeth (dwarf on Inspiration Dust)

Roots and Hourglass (alchemist),

the Bearded Cabinet (general store),

the Temple of the Eternal Mother (church).

Flask and Rat, inn run by a dwarf

Sheriff Kendall

Kharis, dwarf necromancer that plays Battlechess

Crownwarden Lord Cyne Monder, a recognizable and much-respected member of the Royal Court and Lord Protector of the Crown

Yaldiled Gurvys Dragonborn Paladin 4/Bard 1

spacer.png

AC: 19 | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 13 | Spell Attack: +6 | Spell DC: 14 | DM Inspiration: 1/1
Cantrips; Vicous Mockery, Minor Illusion, Spare the Dying, Guidance
Memorized Spells;
Level 1 | ▣ ▣ ▣ ▢ | Ensnaring Strike, Wrathful Smite, Bless, Command, Purify Food and Drink, Dissonant Whispers, Earth Tremor, Thunderwave, Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Level 2 | ▣ ▢ |

Yaldiled has settled for watching the others interact, but mentioning a large amount of coin grabs her attention if only for the object to earn that value. It's a feather, but definitely a rare one. However, were they bidding for it? She moved over, getting closer to Baldur. "Meet his price? Why? I wouldn't call us all wealthy enough to enter a bidding war."

Mechanics

Main Hand: +1 Warhammer
Off Hand: Shield

Bardic Inspiration 2/3

1st level spell slots 3/4

Action:
Bonus Action:
Move:

Baldur

As Ky works he steps a few steps away and then leans in and talks to Yaldiled quietly so the halfling can't hear.

I agree. I am just getting Ky to verify that it is not some magical illusion and as such a fake. If it is a fake we can warn the Lord who just left and hopefully get on his good side. If it is not a fake I would like to know where he got it. These creatures are very rare and from what little I know of them they do not molt like birds. So they don't just leave feathers lying around for passerby's to pick up. They are good creatures. So if that is a real feather than someone either killed one or maybe has one captured. And if that is the case I want to find it a get it out of these peoples hands or punish those who killed it.

I know it could be something a lot less evil that explains how he got the feather. But it has my curiosity peaked.

Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Move:
Manipulate:

PC

Gwydion Black Human Rogue 5https://www.dandwiki.com/w/images/3/3a/Daring_swashbuckler.jpg

AC: 17 (Studded leather and dual wielding) | HP: 33/33 | Initiative: +5 | Passive Perception: 15 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Gwydion preferred to think of himself as professionally dishonest, meaning he would steal for a job or worthy cause, but not just for the fun of it. It was a fine moral line and perhaps one that only he could see, but it was one he had decided not to cross.

As a result, when the high price of such easily concealable and transportable goods is discussed in public, his first instinct isn't to look toward the buyer and seller, but to scan the rest of the room. The tavern was a popular spot and all kinds might found drinking the ale here. The odds were good that other thieves were present, certainly with a less strict moral code than his own. He scanned the other patrons, looking for those who might have overheard the conversation and were considering enriching themselves at the halfling's expense.

The light-fingered swordsman rose and walked over to the booth where the rest of his party gathered. He put a hand on Baldur's shoulder, smiling at the dwarf, before talking to the halfling. "May I make a suggestion? Rather than entering the running for this fine piece of merchandise, why don't you hire us instead? I would not normally criticize, but you've discussed the worth of this lovely feather loudly in a public place. I have little doubt you've attracted some dangerous attention. You might need a few guards before you're tucked up safe at home with your bag of gold." 

He looks around at the others. "And it might be the start of a profitable relationship for both of us. As my friend says, we are a source of monster bits, if you are a regular seller." Gwydion gestures grandly at the assembled party. "Allow me to introduce The Manticores." 

He leans over to Egg and mutters quietly, "That is what we agreed on, was it not? I confess I lost track a bit."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Rapier
Off Hand: shortsword

Action:
Bonus Action:
Move:

Name
Perception for thieves
1d20+7 12

PC

Egg High Elf Cleric 5spacer.png

AC: 17 (breastplate, shield, dex) | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 17 
Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3, 3rd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +8 | Spell DC: 16 | DM Inspiration: 1/1
Eyes of the Night (Share): 1/1 | Channel Divinity: 1/1 | Channel Divinity (AotD): 1/1

Egg's expression of quiet acceptance tells his companions enough of his own opinion. Fewer things would make him happier in the moment than to spend every gold they'd just received to buy the feather. Even if it turned out the feather is nothing more than a ruse, it would do little to diminish his spirits.

He instead takes a deeper drink, now into the second of his two specialty drinks, trying to decide which he preferred more. He decides it is the Voodoo Enchantress.

"If we won't buy your feather, can I at least pay for your drink, good sir?" As the others see what sort of bargain they can make, Egg sees his best course to offer the extra nicety, to spend at least a little of his coin.

Mechanics

Off Hand: Empty

Action: Insight check? Looking to where he can enjoy his drinks and meet new fun people.
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

image.jpeg.6e2c0e136f0df5812ee99688a3dc909b.jpeg

CHAPTER ONE - BLOOD ON THE CROWN

Baldur Stonebow

spacer.png"Excuse, I could not help noticing the beautiful feather. I was wondering how you managed to find a Couatl feather? May I get a closer look, without touching it of course?"

Raffolk Ginsi

Raffolk replied, "It is a very rare find, one that I hope brings me good fortune."Raffolk.png.aea14d6916111f7bf38a3c7d54e0d9a3.png

"I have spent my entire life reading books about ancient civilizations that lived in the forest and have been determined to make my own discovery."

"One day while exploring, I stumbled upon a hidden cave that had been untouched for centuries. I carefully made my way inside and was awestruck by the beauty of the ancient artifacts and murals that adorned the walls."

"As I made my way deeper into the cave, I noticed a strange feather lying on the ground. It was unlike any feather I had ever seen before. The colors were vibrant and seemed to glow in the dim lighting of the cave."

"I knew that I had stumbled upon something special. I carefully picked up the feather, feeling its cool touch in my hand. I knew that I had to bring it back to civilization to have it analyzed."

"Upon my return to the city, experts were amazed by the feather. They had never seen anything like it before. After extensive research, they revealed that it was a Coatl feather, a rare and sacred feather that was believed to hold mystical powers."

"I knew that she had truly found something special. I held onto the Coatl feather as a symbol of my discovery and the wonder of the forest that I had devoted her life to exploring. But unfornately due to circumstances, I am now forced to sell it."

A few minutes later, other members of the Manticores joined them at the table and Ky began a ritual to detect any magical auras on the feather. As they waited for the ritual to complete, the group plied the halfling with drink and offers of services, but just before the ritual could complete, the door opened, and a very large bugbear made his leap into the tavern.

The bugbear was a familiar face, Gulfa, the bestial manager of the Triple Nine gambling hall, and he did not look happy. The bugbear made a beeline for the groups table and loudly confronted Raffolk, demanding him to pay up on his debt that the halfling took on as credit to play at the Triple Nine. Before anyone could intervene on the halflings behalf, Gulfa knocked the lantern on the table over and feeds the flames with the hard liquor of the Voodoo Enchantress sitting on the table, which caused the fire to quickly spread consuming the Couatl feather in its wake.

The halfling screams, pleads for more time, and cries loudly and pitifully about the loss of his only source of income, from which he was planning on paying the bugbear. The bestial gambling hall manager doesn't seem to care and threatens the halfling with his life if he doesn't deliver the required 200 gold pieces within a day. Then turns to leave.

Gulfaimage.png.60661a15e2835c77d575a0be34281a88.png

“I’ll plukk all’o’yo fedder if yo don’t
bring me da gold by noon tomorrow!”

On This Jundiel (Tuesday), the 34th Day of Camua (Autumn), in the 631st Year of the Age of Kings
11:41 am

The 5th Day of the Campaign

Show Active Maps

Currently Not in Use!!

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION

Egg 17 | Gwydion 17 | Baldur 15 | Kythera 14 | Yaldiled 13 | Skogrinn 12

INITIATIVE

Not in Use!!

MECHANICS

Not in Use!!

CONDITIONS

Not in Use!!

DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

BALDUR STONEBOW

Hit Points: 49/49 (RESIST:poison; ADVSAVTYPE: poisoned)
Hit Dice: 5/5
Spell Slots (+5, DC 13) *L

• 1st Level: 4/4
  • 2nd Level: 2/2

DM Inspiration: 1/1

EGG

Hit Points: 38/38 (ADVSAVTYPE: charmed; IMMUNITIES: magic sleep)
Hit Dice: 5/5

Channel Divinity: 1/1 *S/L
Channel Divinity (AotD): 1/1 *L
Eyes of the Night: 1/1 *L
Spell Slots (+8, DC 16) *L

• 1st Level: 4/4
  • 2nd Level: 3/3
  • 3rd Level: 2/2

DM Inspiration: 1/1

GWYDION BLACK

Hit Points: 33/33 (Uncanny Dodge)

KYTHERA SYRAS

Hit Points: 29/29

Arcane Recovery: 1/1 *L
Cloak of Darkness: 1/1 *S/L
Shadow Shield: 1/1 *S/L
Dissonant Whispers *1/1 L
Misty Step *1/1 L
Spell Slots Cleric (+4, DC 12), Wizard (+8, DC 16) *L

• 2nd Level: 3/3
  • 3rd Level: 2/2

SKÓGRINN

Hit Points: 31/31 (ADVSAVTYPE: charmed; IMMUNE: magic sleep)
Fey Step: 3/3 *L
Pact of the Talisman: 3/3 *L
Tentacle of the Deep: 3/3 *L
Spell Slots (+8, DC 16) *L

• 1st Level: 2/2 (Sorcerer)
  • 2nd Level: 2/2 (Warlock)

YALDILED GURVYS

Hit Points: 38/38 (RESIST:cold; IMMUNE: disease)
Bardic Inspiration: 2/3 (d8) *L
Breath Weapon: 1/1 *S
Channel Divinity: 1/1 *S/L
Divine Sense: 4/4 *L
Lay on Hands: 20/20 *L
Spell Slots (+6, DC 14) *L

• 2nd Level: 2/2