Chapter 1: And so it begins ... (IC)

Shocker

The stage coach is approaching it's destination. Nestled in the rocky foothills of the snow capped Sword Mountains is the mining town of Phandalin , which consists of forty or fifty simple log buildings. Crumbling stone ruins surround the newer houses and shops, showing how this must have been a much larger town in centuries past. The coach comes to a halt on a town square, the aging coachman climbs of his seat, coughs and opens the coach door for his passengers.
"Passengers for Phandalin, please disembark. The Fells company appreciates your patronage, and would be happy for repeat customers. The next stage back will leave in nine tendays" He rattles this down, sounding like it was a speech memorized by heart.
Upon getting out of the contraption you gain your first impression of this small settlement and it's inhabitants.

Phandalin's residents are quiet hardworking folk who came from the distant cities to eke out a live amid the harsh wilderness. They are farmers, stone-cutters, blacksmiths, traders, prospectors and children. The town has no walls and no garrison, but most of the adults keep weapons within easy reach in case the need for arms should arise. Visitors are welcome here, particularly if they have coin to spend or news to share. The Stonehill Inn at the center of town offers modest lodgings and meals. A couple of doors down form the inn, just outside the Townmaster's Hall is a job board for adventurers.

Sviga lævi - Vala Hel | ᚢᚨᛚᚨ∶ᚺᛖᛚ spacer.png

token_1.png.a0685da6a0bb5fda50b0f8d31b1534f9.png

ᚺᛖᛚ - Paladin I (Vengeance)
"The starving raven tells of Hel"

checked-shield.svg AC (18) sprint.svg Initiative (+2) Speed (30 ft.)
health-normal.svg HP (12/12) awareness.svg PP (12) dodging.svg LH (5/5)

invisible.svg Status: Normal

Saves & Abilities

Saving throws: Str (3) Dex (-1) Con (2) Int (-1) Wis (1) Cha (5).
Unarmed attack: 1d20+5, (4).
Abilities: Divine sense, lay on hands.

The teamster announced the arrival to Phandalin, interrupting the conversation. Vala peeked out from the tent, and confirming the news she turned to Vadania @CraterShip saying: Gotta dash now, let’s continue outside. She quickly checked her equipment and hopped off at the moment they said “please disembark”.

The town shone bright before Vala; she took a deep breath. Her mind was running free, brimming with excitement. She checked her surroundings, reading the place as the others get off the car. In due time, she tells the others: I’m here for the dragon, but I will start off with quick wins. If you’re headed for the inn, we could go together. She was planning to form a party and gain better knowledge of the situation either at the inn or the tavern.

Edited by Siryuu (see edit history)

spacer.pngGilavar Oakhallow | High Elven Rogue | HP 10/10

Saves & Abilities

AC (Leather) 14 | Initiative +3 | Darkvision 60 ft | Perception +5 | Investigation +4 | Insight +1

Speed: 30 ft | Saves: Str +0 | Dex +5 | Con +2 | Int +4 | Wis +1 | Cha +0

Attacks: Shortsword +5, Piercing 1d6+3 | Shortbow +5, (80/320) Piercing 1d6+3 | Sneak Attack +1d6

Stealth +7 | Acrobatics +5 | Sleight of Hand +5 | Survival +3 | Athletics +2

The "other" elf sitting in the middle of the stagecoach is one of the last to disembark. Gilavar climbs out of the contraption and collects his gear. His movements exude almost feline gracefulness. He shoulders his pack and quiver and carries his unstrung bow and staff in his left hand. He replies, "I'd like to check the job board before checking into the inn."

He waits for consensus and walks with the first group to the job board.

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

token_1(5).png.2b95751388080bca58e2ac5ed304bf2d.pngKatya Evermoon | Circle of the Moon Druid | Human

AC: 12  | HP: 7/7 | Speed: 30 ft | Spell-casting: +5 / DC 13
Senses: Passive Perception 20, Insight 15, Investigation 19
STR: Score: -1
Athletics: -1
| DEXScore: +2
Acrobatics: +2
Stealth: +2
Sleight of Hand: +2
:
 14 | CONScore: -19 | INTScore: +2
Arcana: +2
History: +4
Investigation: +2
Nature: +4
Religion: +2
:
 14 | WISScore: +3

Animal Handling: +3
Insight: +3
Medicine: +5
Perception: +5
Survival: +3
:
 16 | CHAScore: +2

Deception: +2
Intimidation: +2
Performance: +2
Persuasion: +4
:

Languages: Common, Elvish, Draconic, Druidic

FeatsObservantQuick to notice details of your environment, you gain the following benefits:

Increase your Intelligence or Wisdom score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
If you can see a creature's mouth while it is speaking a language you understand, you can interpret what it's saying by reading its lips.
You have a +5 bonus to your passive Wisdom (Perception) and passive Intelligence (Investigation) scores.

| FeaturesRitual CastingYou can cast a Druid spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell prepared

| ActionsWeaponATTACK: -
RANGE: -
MAGIC BONUS: -
CRIT RANGE: -
DAMAGE: -
TYPE: -
DESCRIPTION: -

| SpellsCantrips
GuidanceGuidance
Divination Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: One willing creature
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Description:You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to one ability check of its choice. It can roll the die before or after making the ability check. The spell then ends.

DruidcraftDruidcraft
Transmutation Cantrip
Range: 30 feet
Target: See text
Components: V,S
Duration: Instantaneous
Description: Whispering to the spirits of nature, you create one of the following effects within range: You create a tiny, harmless sensory effect that predicts what the weather will be at your location for the next 24 hours. The effect might manifest as a golden orb for clear skies, a cloud for rain, falling snowflakes for snow, and so on. This effect persists for 1 round. You instantly make a flower blossom, a seed pod open, or a leaf bud bloom. You create an instantaneous, harmless sensory effect, such as falling leaves, a puff of wind, the sound of a small animal, or the faint odor of skunk. The effect must fit in a 5-foot cube. You instantly light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire.

Katya stretches as she steps off of the stagecoach steps, the cool air of the northern town biting into her pale skin, reddening her cheeks and the tip of her nose quite quickly. Pulling the black cloak further around her body as soon as the chill strikes, she tries to hide her discomfort. The sounds of frozen earth crunching beneath the worn wooden wheels of carts fills her ears as she closes her eyes, smiling slightly, letting the familiar atmosphere wash over her. While her home had been in a slightly warmer climate, the work continued throughout the year, no matter the weather. Her stomach twists as her thoughts drift back to her home, but she reigns in the emotions, and breathes steadily, calming the anger that threatens to overwhelm her. The feeling in her abdomen does not leave as she centers herself, instead, beginning to rumble, reddening her cheeks once more, this time in embarrassment.

token_1(12).png.8a7bc8831f711ad688e6baddd598512c.png"A meal would certainly be welcome, it has been a long journey... Perhaps the Inkeeper can provide some insight on the job board..."

...and Cryovain...

The last remains unsaid, not wanting to appear so single-minded to a group so soon, especially since she had not introduced herself yet. Stiffly, she begins walking towards the Inn in the hopes of escaping the cold, and getting a warm meal inside. Once she is comfortable, a visit to the Townmaster's Hall would be the next step. It's hard to request aid on an empty stomach.

spacer.png

OOCAction:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Teifling4.jpg.1ccb57cd401ca54f00467d074ed9dfb4.jpg

MAKARIA

The Sorceress of Hlal

AC: 13* | Hp: 8* Speed: 30 ft.

Draconic ancestry: Brass & Fire resistance. *Draconic resilience trait's. read/write/speak Draconic.

Asmodeous bloodline: *Intelligence increase & Thaumaturgy cantrip. read/write/speak infernal.

She looked outside and noticed that they had stopped; then the loud and clear announcement that they had arrived in Phandalin. Taking note that the next stage would be arriving in eight days decided to make a mental note of it. Her body temperature being slightly warmer than a humans; Makaria often didn't feel the cold. She smiled a little noticing that the cold air seemed to have an effect on the human's here. However pulled up her hood to cover her head and horns preferring not to draw to much untoward attention just yet. Then hearing someone mention a 'job board' sought to also investigate. Stepping off the stagecoach and walking cautiously towards the Town-masters Hall; it was widely known that this would be the place to find work in these parts.

Passing through a cacophony of sounds as one would expect; the clanging of metal on metal the smell of a hot furnace. 'This is homely' she thought. Various vendors plying their trade with enthusiastic shouting and trying to coax customers to sample and buy their wares. The aroma of fresh manure as horse and cart navigated their way past pedestrians. Taking note of where the job board was before heading towards the local Inn first; the human had the right idea she thought.

"Hello; we met in the carriage mind if I accompany you to the local Inn? I heard you mention Cryovain before; have you seen this creature,"? she asked keeping pace with Katya Evermoon.@tyrtaeus

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/22/e6/9d/22e69da9d9b6723a1bab25ac3f300a4f.jpgVadania Holimion

Wood Elf | Monk

AC: 15  | HP: 10/10 | Speed: 35 ft | Features and Traits

Martial Arts | Ki Points 0 / 0

The porter's call to disembark in Phandalin was a welcome reprieve. Vadania felt she had been sitting for far too long, and the chance to stretch her legs felt good. As the other passengers stepped off the stagecoach, they seemed to be divided between two camps - those going to check the job board, and those going to check for lodging first. Luckily, both options were in the same direction. Hel (or Sutr, if she was to be a friend) offered to go together to the inn. The suggestion was as good as any other, and without another pressing matter, Vadania decided to follow her lead.

As they walked, Vadania tried to get a better feel for the land. Clearly there was once a thriving civilization here. The ruins were too large for anything less, and perhaps one day it would return to that former glory. But for this day, the small log buildings served as the majority, few as they were.

"How old would you say these ruins are?" she asked her walking companion (@Siryuu) "Was this Cryovain's work?" She assumed that was the name of the dragon rumored to plague this land.

Saves & Abilities

Since most of the travelers were already going to the inn, Vala pat Gilavar’s shoulder and said @JubalBreakbottle: The town’s hall is close to the inn and, I guess you’re not here for farming. Then she whispered to him, I’d first learn more from the locals before taking any jobs, also if we show up as a team, I’m sure we’ll get better opportunities and leverage. I already have a market strategy; Vala sounded quite confident.

Don’t you know? All good things start in a tavern!
What about you, “blue man” @Akwehawk?

Hey girls, @Dorik @tyrtaeus first to arrive pays for all!

Vala intently listened to Vadania @CraterShip, and replied: Beats me! Didn’t pay much attention to it! 🤣 She looked around as she spoke. But, do you see any debris? If the ruins are significantly old, there might be a difference between old and new 🤔; we could ask around.

spacer.pngGilavar Oakhallow | High Elven Rogue | HP 10/10

Saves & Abilities

AC (Leather) 14 | Initiative +3 | Darkvision 60 ft | Perception +5 | Investigation +4 | Insight +1

Speed: 30 ft | Saves: Str +0 | Dex +5 | Con +2 | Int +4 | Wis +1 | Cha +0

Attacks: Shortsword +5, Piercing 1d6+3 | Shortbow +5, (80/320) Piercing 1d6+3 | Sneak Attack +1d6

Stealth +7 | Acrobatics +5 | Sleight of Hand +5 | Survival +3 | Athletics +2

Gilavar looked at the hand on his shoulder and genuinely smiled. He was unused to this level of familiarity with strangers but had decided before leaving his clan to try anything at least once, so he allows it.

He replies for all to hear, “No. Not a farmer.” Then, he leans into Vaal and conspiratorially replies, “the job board is where the locals announce their jobs. We can find more context about the jobs at the tavern among other places. I’ll report what I find if you are interested.”

With a respectful nod, Gilavar continues with the gaggle of stagecoach customers for as long as possible, before splitting off to view the job board, by himself if necessary.

@Siryuu

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

Saves & Abilities

She seems to agree with the Elf @JubalBreakbottle, then let’s make sure the others get to the inn and check the board job together. Vala nodded back at Gilavar and then caught up with the other travelers; she continued her chat with Vadania, but eventually asked the redhead @tyrtaeus for her name. So, what’s your name by the way?

token_1(5).png.2b95751388080bca58e2ac5ed304bf2d.pngKatya Evermoon | Circle of the Moon Druid | Human

AC: 12  | HP: 7/7 | Speed: 30 ft | Spell-casting: +5 / DC 13
Senses: Passive Perception 20, Insight 15, Investigation 19
STR: Score: -1
Athletics: -1
| DEXScore: +2
Acrobatics: +2
Stealth: +2
Sleight of Hand: +2
:
 14 | CONScore: -19 | INTScore: +2
Arcana: +2
History: +4
Investigation: +2
Nature: +4
Religion: +2
:
 14 | WISScore: +3

Animal Handling: +3
Insight: +3
Medicine: +5
Perception: +5
Survival: +3
:
 16 | CHAScore: +2

Deception: +2
Intimidation: +2
Performance: +2
Persuasion: +4
:

Languages: Common, Elvish, Draconic, Druidic

FeatsObservantQuick to notice details of your environment, you gain the following benefits:

Increase your Intelligence or Wisdom score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
If you can see a creature's mouth while it is speaking a language you understand, you can interpret what it's saying by reading its lips.
You have a +5 bonus to your passive Wisdom (Perception) and passive Intelligence (Investigation) scores.

| FeaturesRitual CastingYou can cast a Druid spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell prepared

| ActionsWeaponATTACK: -
RANGE: -
MAGIC BONUS: -
CRIT RANGE: -
DAMAGE: -
TYPE: -
DESCRIPTION: -

| SpellsCantrips
GuidanceGuidance
Divination Cantrip
Range: Touch
Target: One willing creature
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Description:You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to one ability check of its choice. It can roll the die before or after making the ability check. The spell then ends.

DruidcraftDruidcraft
Transmutation Cantrip
Range: 30 feet
Target: See text
Components: V,S
Duration: Instantaneous
Description: Whispering to the spirits of nature, you create one of the following effects within range: You create a tiny, harmless sensory effect that predicts what the weather will be at your location for the next 24 hours. The effect might manifest as a golden orb for clear skies, a cloud for rain, falling snowflakes for snow, and so on. This effect persists for 1 round. You instantly make a flower blossom, a seed pod open, or a leaf bud bloom. You create an instantaneous, harmless sensory effect, such as falling leaves, a puff of wind, the sound of a small animal, or the faint odor of skunk. The effect must fit in a 5-foot cube. You instantly light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire.

Her strides are certain, but she is caught off guard when the Tiefling displays interest in joining her in the Inn, apparently also not ready to fully explore the town yet. A small smile crosses her lips as she tries to shake off the more serious demeanor she has displayed thus far, remembering that the authority of her home means nothing here. The smile saddens slightly, and her auburn eyes cannot meet the eyes of her new companion when she asks of the Dragon.

"Cryovain... I have not seen it no... But I could never forget its voice, its presence..."

It was true. The Dragon had come in the night and though she had seen its silhouette highlighted against the smoke in the dark every time the bright blue flames devastated yet another part of her home, she had not truly seen the beast. The voice of it though, the voice haunted her dreams, keeping her awake in her quietest moments, leaving her with nothing but dreams of vengeance and bags under her eyes. Her tortured thoughts are torn from her when she hears the white haired warrior call out, claiming that the first to arrive would be paying. The sadness leaves her smile as she pushes it away.

"I suppose a good leader is kind to her subjects, I'll pay for one round, but it will cost your names. I am Katya Evermoon"

She curtseys in a mockingly dramatic manner, trying, perhaps overmuch, to push away the stiffness with which she had introduced herself.

spacer.png

OOCAction:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Edited by tyrtaeus (see edit history)

ReitanPostPic.png.5a41899adcf19eebacf2382c3345fecf.pngReitan Rhuin

Tempest Cleric of Talos

AC: 18  | HP: 9/9 | Speed: 20 ft | Features and Traits

Wrath of the Storm | Spells | Attributes

Reitan got out of the stagecoach with the others and stretched. He glanced around and tried to figure out what to do first. It seems everyone from the stagecoach were all planning on helping out around Phandalin with their various problems, including the dragon. Strange we all arrived at the same time. Or coincidence? Maybe Talos had something to do with putting everyone together? Regardless of how, it only mattered that we were here. I've never been part of a group before, maybe this is a good idea. More can be accomplished with a good crew, as opposed to just myself.

Hearing what clearly was a reference to himself he glanced at the speaker. Blue man? He was certain he gave his name before. Maybe not. He couldn't remember.

Ill check out the job board as well. I'm not here for drinks. And it's Reitan by the way, if I didn't mention it before.

He veered off in the direction of the job boards.

Saves & Abilities

She had caught the Cleric's attention. Noted, Reitan 🤭. Since most of us seem like to aim for the dragon, we could build stronger momentum together, I’m just speaking aloud, ‘tho. Gilavar and I are headed to the board as well. I however, will quickly make sure the others go to the inn; then we will have some drinks at the inn and probably discuss what will happen next.

Vala intently stared at Katya after hearing her remarks. So, are you a regal lady? 🤔 A maiden maybe? Royalty often mean business, she thought.

And having looked at her face, she added: Are you cold? Here, you may use my cloak. The cloak was a beautiful piwafwi, made of dark spider-silk; whilst not easily noticeable, its powers were already gone, but the fabrics were pristine.

2 hours ago, tyrtaeus said:

I'll pay for one round, but it will cost your names. I am Katya Evermoon

My name is not for the taking, much less for sale, but I can repeat it for you: “Vala Hel” (or Sutr, for friends). I didn’t bring a dress with me so... She returned the courtesy of the redhead with a bow and scrape.

From what she had heard before, the board and the inn were very close to each other, so she was under the impression that the group would already walk together anyway. Thus, have made sure that the ladies went to the inn, she left to the board.

Keep my seat warm! I’ll be back in a flash!

Teifling3.jpg.b51716ddae60319f2e32ea530a71a001.jpg

MAKARIA

The Sorceress of Hlal

AC: 13* | Hp: 8* Speed: 30 ft.

Draconic ancestry: Brass & Fire resistance. *Draconic resilience trait's. read/write/speak Draconic.

Asmodeous bloodline: *Intelligence increase & Thaumaturgy cantrip. read/write/speak infernal.

Makaria noticed that Katya couldn't meet her gaze and that this dragon evoked painful memories for her.

"I'm truly sorry Katya to hear this I've only heard of tales regarding this aspect of dragons; even their mere presence can frighten the most steadfast adventurer. Never encountered one before but have been told that dragons blood flows in my veins; who would have thought that? If there is any way I can help I will," she said.

She heard the words of the white haired Paladin turned to acknowledge her. "Makaria, pleased to meet you Vala Hel," she replied..

Katya, Vadania and Makaria, take the few steps to the north eastern corner of the town square. Were they find themselves in front of a modest but very neat looking two story building, with the name Stonehill Inn painted on a sign hanging over the door, slightly moving in the afternoon breeze.

Stepping through the door, they find themselves in a common room, a few tables scattered around the room, an unlit fire place taking up the northern wall and a bar taking up a lot of the western wall. Sunlight shines through the spotless windows, giving them room a bright atmosphere.

A short man with a narrow face and brown hair, wiping his hands dry on a grey vest worn over a crisp white shirt.

"Ah welcome to the Stonehill Inn, travelers. My name is Toblen Stonehill how may I be of service?"

Reitan, Vala and Gilavar walk casually over the town square towards the southern end, were they find the Townmaster's Hall. Contrary to the predominantly wooden buildings the Townmaster's Hall has sturdy stone walls, a pitched wooden roof, and a bell tower at the back. The job board next to the front door features a sparse number of notices, all written in Common and in the same hand.

(OOC I was not trying to be complicated but wanted to experiment with the limited view )

Edited by Shocker (see edit history)

Saves & Abilities

Vala had introduced herself before arriving, but regardless she shook the hand of Makaria, and repeated. Pleased to meet you! Remember to wait for me at the inn, OK? I'll bring news! @tyrtaeus, @Dorik, @CraterShip. And after briefly walking with the girls and having made the arrangements to meet with them later at the (stone-hill) inn, she caught up with Cleric and the Rogue... She stood at the entrance of Townmaster's Hall and said: Well guys, this is the place. Then she looked for the job-board, but not without greeting the people in charge; she made a cursory bow and introduced herself, mindful of those potentially wanting to talk (her companions).