Level 1: Dungeon Level

bwatford

Admaer "Blue" Azuregift - High Elf Wizardspacer.png

AC: 12 | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 14

"Very kind of you to let us know, Priestess Uday," Blue said, seamlessly turning to address the priestess in the moments it took Xaya to repair Varta's seat, "I'm certain your prices are more than fair, though as we haven't had much of an opportunity to feel out the market I hope you don't mind if we don't make any commitments just yet.  I'm sure you'll see us when we're out, of course, and we can certainly talk further then."

He did not add that spellbooks were perhaps the most valuable things one could acquire from an ancient wizard's stronghold, and unless there was quite the strong objection from his traveling companions, new and old, he would be taking time to peruse any they did find first.  Sale, in his opinion, would depend on both the danger of the contents and whether or not it was worth keeping for himself instead.

"Even smoother than I remember, Xaya," the wizard said, turning back to his eladrin friend with a critical eye on the chair and a compliment on his lips, "As for what I've been doing, well, it's been mostly the same as usual.  Adventuring work, research, and recipe gathering in about that order.  I've put together a few new spells since last we met, which I'd be happy to discuss in as much detail as you feel like hearing."

Flashing Xaya another grin, Blue turned to Moss.  "As for when we descend, well, if you're tired then the answer is definitely 'not until you've rested'.  I would think entering Undermountain at anything less than your best would be, well, honestly pretty foolish."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Nisgaviel - Celestial Spirit and Bat Familiar

AC: 12 | HP: 1/1 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 11 (Blindsight 60ft) | Speed 5ft, fly 30ft

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Echolocation: The bat can't use its blindsight while deafened.

Keen Hearing: The bat has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing.

spacer.pngObaya Uday - (human priest of Waukeen (God of trade))spacer.png

"Anyway, how have you been?" Blue continued as his eyes returned to the present and he gestured to the goliath woman sitting on the floor, "And do you perhaps have a moment to do something about our new friend's chair?  It seems to have been a bit defective and I seem to remember you had quite the gift for putting things back together."

Obaya returned the nice gestures from Blue, truth of the matter was she barely remembered him, her travels took her so many places, and along with that came so many different faces. But before she could respond about the chair Threestrings was already bringing over a much better, heavy built chair for the goliath as his set came to an end.

Seeing that Xaya had fixed the old one the bard let her decide which one she wished to use.

spacer.pngVolothamp Geddarm - (human wizard)The bombastic world traveler Volothamp Geddarm is enjoying some downtime in Waterdeep following a successful book tour promoting his latest work, Volo's Guide to Monsters. He spends most of his free time in the taproom of the Yawning Portal, reuniting with old friends and mulling over his next book project.spacer.png

Moss blinks his eyes slowly, almost falling asleep. Before he can do that, he forces himself to his feet. "Are we starting our descent now? If not, I think I'd like to get a room for the evening. It's been a long time since I've slept in a real bed..."

Volo patted the tortle on his shell with a laugh.... "No time for sleeping now, you will be going down the well momentarily my good friend. That is why we are all gathered here after all."

spacer.pngMattrim "Threestrings" Mereg - (Illuskan human bard)spacer.png

The bard that had brought over the chair, an Illuskan man known as 'Threestrings' because of the fact he plays a three stringed loot begins to move in the wells direction while playing a song for our soon to be heroes.

(tune should be obvious, 'oh Lord, won't you buy me..')

Oh, Torm, won't you give me a chainmail plus one
a battle is coming, my armor is gone
without some protection, your servant is done,
Oh, Torm, won't you give me a chainmail plus one!

Oh, Torm, won't you give me a magical sword,
I just got a dagger, that's all I could afford,
but grant me a weapon, I'll call you my lord,
Oh, Torm, won't you give me a magical sword!

Oh, Torm, won't you give me a powerful ring,
or bracelet or necklace, or similar thing,
i'll do in all monsters, and _then_ I shall sing:
Oh, Torm, won't you give me a powerful ring,

Oh Torm, won't you give me the Crown of Command,
or even that infamous Veccna'ses hand,
a Holy Avenger, a staff if you can,
Oh Torm, won't you give me the Crown of Command,

Oh, Torm, won't you give me a chainmail plus one
a battle is coming, my armor is gone
without some protection, your servant is done,
Oh, Torm, won't you give me a chainmail plus one!

When the bard is finished, he bows in front of Rockgrinder, "At your service mam', all my friends call me 'Threestrings"

Pulling a pouch of gems from his waist, he offers it to the woman "Could you please deliver this to a female half-drow named Cal'al Claddani, who runs a tavern called the Flagon and the Dragon in Skullport, on the third level? Well, if you get that far I mean.  If not you can just return them to me."

"I am sure if you're going down the well you will run across the underground city, and you see Cal'al provided shelter and healing to a wounded friend of mine and I kind of owe her for it."

Looking in the pouch, Rockgrinder can see that it contains three moonstones worth 50 gp each.

"Once you deliver the pouch, your group will be able to take refuge in a in a place called Dalagor's Fortress, located on the uppermost level of Skullport. A dragonborn mage named Felrax guards the place. You certainly are going to need friends and places to rest safely down there, and I can think of no better place than Dalagor's Fortress." he continues.

Then rubbing a small pin on his lapel, a golden pin in the shape of a harp "My friends would also be thankful for your service."

"Whatda you say? Deal?"

Narissa Delavaunt - Aasimar Divine Soul Sorcererspacer.png

AC: 11 | HP: 27/27 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 11

Narissa blinks at the people eager to make use of their adventure below. She inclines her head to the priestess.

"If there are items we can't make use of, a ready market would be most welcome."   

I had hoped Gorbaz would join us.  He is not the most trustworthy and heroic of companions, but he is at least familiar.

Mechanics 

Main Hand: Empty

Moss - Tortle Druidspacer.png

AC: 19 | HP: 38/38 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 17

"I don't have any objection to making a delivery," Moss rumbles. "It should be fine, so long as no one else objects... and so long as we don't make a habit of it. It's one thing to be neighborly. It's quite another to become the Sword Coast Express."

Mechanics

Ignis' Statblock

WILDFIRE SPIRIT

Small elemental

Armor Class 13 (natural armor)

Hit Points 5 + five times your druid level

Speed 30 ft., fly 30 ft. (hover)

STR 10(+0) DEX 14(+2) CON 14(+2) INT 13(+1) WIS 15(+2) CHA 11(+0)

Damage Immunities fire

Condition Immunities charmed, frightened, grappled, prone, restrained

Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 12

Languages understands the languages you speak

Challenge — Proficiency Bonus (PB) equals your bonus

Actions

Flame Seed. Ranged Weapon Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, range 60 ft., one target you can see. Hit: 1d6 + PB fire damage.

Fiery Teleportation. The spirit and each willing creature of your choice within 5 feet of it teleport up to 15 feet to unoccupied spaces you can see. Then each creature within 5 feet of the space that the spirit left must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw against your spell save DC or take 1d6 + PB fire damage.

Edited by codexgigas (see edit history)

AC: 12 | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 14 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3, 3rd 2/2 | Portents: 20, 13

"No objections here," the elven wizard said, slowly stretching and twisting his fingers like a harpsichordist warming up for a performance, "Securing a safe place to stay alongside a chance to meet new and interesting people?  Sounds like a win-win scenario to me."

Blue reached down to his belt and nimbly opened a pouch.  Two silvers floated out and drifted over to Threestrings the bard.

"I should also say that was quite an enjoyable song, Threestrings," Blue said, now working a piece of parchment over the cover of his Grimoire"I hope I'll be able to hear another when we next come back up.  My friends, among others, call me Blue, and I'd be glad to have you do the same."

The purpose of the parchment soon became clear as the elf proceeded to start writing, taking notes in a minute shorthand that he managed to produce with the same speed that most people associated with speech.  If he was going to make sure to give Volothamp Geddarm a detailed accounting of their venture as repayment, Blue decided he might as well start as he meant to go on.  With copious amounts of detailed notes.

Mechanics

AC: 12 | HP: 1/1 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 11 (Blindsight 60ft) | Speed 5ft, fly 30ft

Keen Hearing: The bat has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing.

Prepared Spells

Prepared Spells (10)

Absorb Elements, Shield, Magic Missile, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Feather Fall, Mage Armor

Web, Misty Step

Hypnotic Pattern

Edited by Gallifrey (see edit history)
Name
History Check
1d20+7 [[8]]

Xaya Nev - Eladrin Artificer 5spacer.png

Xaya looks a little apprehensive when Threestrings mentions a half-dow. She had been brought up to avoid drow if at all possible. But the others don't seem as concerned, and if this woman offers shelter and healing, maybe she isn't so bad. As Threestrings offers the pouch to Varta, Xaya overcomes her apprehension and responds. 

"We would be happy to help. Is everyone ready to go? I am ready."

She resumes petting her ice-dragon as she waits for the others to decide whether to go now or delay our entry. 

Mechanics

HP: 43 /43 | Defender HP: 31 / 31

1st Level: 4 / 4 

2nd Level: 2 / 2

Hit Dice: 5 / 5d8 

Fey Step: 3 / 3 LR

Defender Repair: 3 / 3 LR

Any Cantrip: 1 / 1 LR

Main Hand: Greatsword

Action: Greatsword x2 or Ray of Frost
Bonus Action: Command defender.

Reaction: Shield if it would help.
Move: movement goes here.
Manipulate: one free object interaction goes here.

Defender Action: Dodge

Defender Move: 

Defender Reaction: Deflect Attack

Character Sheet

Xaya Nev - Winter Eladrin Battlesmith Artificer 5

Str 8 (-1) Dex 14 (+2) Con 16 (+3) Int 18 (+4) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 8 (-1)
Speed 30 ft.HP 43 HD 5d8 AC 17 (scale +1)

Passive Perception 13 Initiative +2
Vision: 60' darkvision
DM Inspiration Yes
Languages Common, Elvish, Sylvan
Background Far Traveler Feature  All Eyes On You

Your accent, mannerisms, figures of speech, and perhaps even your appearance all mark you as foreign. Curious glances are directed your way wherever you go, which can be a nuisance, but you also gain the friendly interest of scholars and others intrigued by far-off lands, to say nothing of everyday folk who are eager to hear stories of your homeland.

You can parley this attention into access to people and places you might not otherwise have, for you and your traveling companions. Noble lords, scholars, and merchant princes, to name a few, might be interested in hearing about your distant homeland and people.

Greatsword +8 attack, 2d6+5 slashing damage
Ray of Frost (range 60) +8 attack, 2d8 cold damage

Defender +8 Attack 1d8+PB force damage

Proficiency +3 Saving Throws Constitution +6, Intelligence +7
Skills Acrobatics +5, Arcana +7, Investigation +7, Insight +3, Perception +3
Weapons All weapons
Armor Light, medium, shields

Elven Accuracy +1 INT, role 3 dice if advantage

Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.

Trance. Elves do not sleep. Instead they meditate deeply, remaining semi-conscious, for 4 hours a day. After resting in this way, you gain the same benefit a human would from 8 hours of sleep.

Fey Step. As a bonus action, you can magically teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space you can see. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Winter. When you use your Fey Step, one creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of you before you teleport must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be frightened of you until the end of your next turn.

Magical Tinkering. You then touch a Tiny nonmagical object as an action and give it one of the following magical properties of your choice:

The object sheds bright light in a 5-foot radius and dim light for an additional 5 feet.

Whenever tapped by a creature, the object emits a recorded message no more than 6 seconds long.

Continuously emits an odor or a nonverbal sound (wind, waves, chirping, or the like).  

Visual effect can be a picture, up to 25 words of text, lines and shapes, or a mixture.

The maximum number of objects  is equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of one object). 

Infusions. 

*Enhanced Defense +1 armor or shield

*Enhanced Weapon +1

Mind Sharpener

Replicate Item: Alchemists Jug

BATTLESMITH FEATURES

Battle Ready. Martial Weapons. Use INT for magical weapons.

Ice Defender. Make defender at end of LR. Takes its turn right after mine. 

Heal it by 2d6 with mending spell.

Revive with spell slot if died in 1 hour.

Equipment

General Inventory 

Scale +1 (infuse) 45#
Greatsword +1 (infuse) 6#

All-Purpose Tool +1 (free) 1#

Travelers clothes 4#
Backpack 5#
Bedroll 7#
Mess Kit 1#
Rations x10 20#
Waterskin 5#
Crowbar 5#
Pitons 2#
50' silk rope 5#

Scrolls

Cure Wounds x2

Coin Purse  
Platinum: 0
Gold: 17
Electrum: 0
Silver: 0
Copper: 0

100 gp diamond

50gp ruby dust

50gp platinum bands x2

Encumbrance

Max Load: 120 lbs. (15 x STR)

Current Weight: 106 (unencumbered)

Spells

Spell Save DC: 16
Spell Attack Mod: +8
Cantrips: Mending, Ray of Frost
1st: Shield, Heroism, Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Grease, Faerie Fire
2nd: Branding Smite, Warding Bond, Levitate, Web

Notes

Threestrings, Bard in Waterdeep "Could you please deliver this to a female half-drow named Cal'al Claddani, who runs a tavern called the Flagon and the Dragon in Skullport, on the third level? Cal'al provided shelter and healing to a wounded friend of mine and I kind of owe her for it. Once you deliver the pouch, your group will be able to take refuge in a in a place called Dalagor's Fortress, located on the uppermost level of Skullport. A dragonborn mage named Felrax guards the place."

Defender Stats

Steel Defender

Medium construct

Armor Class: 15 (natural armor)

Hit Points: 2 + your Intelligence modifier + 5 times your artificer level (the defender has a number of Hit Dice [d8s] equal to your artificer level)

Speed: 40 ft.

STR      DEX     CON     INT      WIS      CHA

14 (+2) 12 (+1) 14 (+2) 4 (−3)   10 (+0) 6 (−2)

Saving Throws: Dex +1 plus PB, Con +2 plus PB

Skills: Athletics +2 plus PB, Perception +0 plus PB x 2

Damage Immunities: poison

Condition Immunities: charmed, exhaustion, poisoned

Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10 + (PB x 2)

Languages: understands the languages you speak

Challenge: —

Proficiency Bonus (PB): equals your bonus

Vigilant. The defender can't be surprised.

Actions

Force-Empowered Rend. Melee Weapon Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one target you can see. Hit: 1d8 + PB force damage.

Repair (3/Day). The magical mechanisms inside the defender restore 2d8 + PB hit points to itself or to one construct or object within 5 feet of it.

Reactions

Deflect Attack. The defender imposes disadvantage on the attack roll of one creature it can see that is within 5 feet of it, provided the attack roll is against a creature other than the defender.

spacer.pngEsvele Rosznar - (human noble)spacer.png

Before anyone can begin their descent a young noblewoman sitting at a nearby table sipping zzar and listening to what was going on called out "WAIT!" as she stood up, all eyes in the tavern were on her, a slim bladed sword hung from her hip and she placed a hand on the hilt as she continued to speak, "I am Esvele Rosznar, some of you may know that my noble family has somewhat of a tarnished reputation here in this fair city. You may also know that we are doing our best now to fix that and regain our integrity and standing."

She then walks over and looks down the well before turning and continuing "Several bad apples threaten to impede that progress, one of which just so happens to be my brother Kressando. He has gone down to Skullport to conduct secret meetings with the thief's guild there, for nefarious purposes I would assume."

"This cannot be allowed to happen. Our family name cannot be tarnished further." she says.

"I ask, a simple task, keep an eye out for Kressando, he is twenty-two years old and has fair skin, like mine, and real curly hair. Be wary though, he is highly trained in the art of stealth and thievery. He also wears a platinum signet ring bearing our family crest, a diving white falcon on a field of blue. The ring also bears an inscription 'Fly high and swoop swift'." she continues.

"I would ask that if you were able to facilitate Kressando's safe return to me, or deliver proof of his whereabouts, well let's just say that I would owe you a favor, and you can trust in House Rosznar to fulfil that debt." she adds.

"And if you didn't already know, Skullport is connected to level 3 of Undermountain by the underground River Sargauth and by five meandering subterranean passageways: Beggar's Rest Pass, Shadow Pass, Steamfall Pass, Taglath's Gap, and Whisperhaunt Pass." she explains.

"I suggest you write that down. It could just save your life down there. Or end it." she says flatly before taking her seat again.

What do you know of this young noble woman and her family?
(If your don't make them then please don't read them.)

Show DC 15 History

Her family has a tarnished reputation, having once been banished from Waterdeep for slavery and other illegal acts.

Show DC 20 History

Esvele's brother, Kressando, is rumored to have went to Skullport to conduct secret meetings with the Xanathar Guild and gauge interest in setting up a slave trade in Skullport, far from the eyes ofWaterdavian authorities.

Narissa Delavaunt - Aasimar Divine Soul Sorcererspacer.png

AC: 11 | HP: 27/27 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 11

Narissa is a bit taken aback by this new intrusion, but nods politely.

"Thank you for the information.  We will note it down and hope to see your brother."

Mechanics

Name
History
1d20+2 [[5]]

Xaya stands up, greets the the noblewoman appropriately, but a little awkwardly. As she listens to the woman, she does not write anything down, but instead repeats the details to the woman, making it clear she will remember them. 

"Kressando is mixed up with thieves. Skullport is connected to level 3 of Undermountain by the underground River Sargauth and by five meandering subterranean passageways: Beggar's Rest Pass, Shadow Pass, Steamfall Pass, Taglath's Gap, and Whisperhaunt Pass. Got it." 

"We will see what we can do. Has anyone made a map of Skullport and the approaching passageways? I would love to see one before we go. The names mean little without knowing the route each takes. "

Her ice-dragon continues to curl around her feet. Xaya looks around the bar and speaks loudly for everyone to hear.

"Does anyone else here have requests of us? We are departing soon so speak up if you do."

Mechanics

Defender Move: 

Character Sheet

DM Inspiration Yes

Your accent, mannerisms, figures of speech, and perhaps even your appearance all mark you as foreign. Curious glances are directed your way wherever you go, which can be a nuisance, but you also gain the friendly interest of scholars and others intrigued by far-off lands, to say nothing of everyday folk who are eager to hear stories of your homeland.

You can parley this attention into access to people and places you might not otherwise have, for you and your traveling companions. Noble lords, scholars, and merchant princes, to name a few, might be interested in hearing about your distant homeland and people.

Weapons All weapons

Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.

Trance. Elves do not sleep. Instead they meditate deeply, remaining semi-conscious, for 4 hours a day. After resting in this way, you gain the same benefit a human would from 8 hours of sleep.

Fey Step. As a bonus action, you can magically teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space you can see. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Winter. When you use your Fey Step, one creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of you before you teleport must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be frightened of you until the end of your next turn.

Magical Tinkering. You then touch a Tiny nonmagical object as an action and give it one of the following magical properties of your choice:

The object sheds bright light in a 5-foot radius and dim light for an additional 5 feet.

Whenever tapped by a creature, the object emits a recorded message no more than 6 seconds long.

Continuously emits an odor or a nonverbal sound (wind, waves, chirping, or the like).  

Visual effect can be a picture, up to 25 words of text, lines and shapes, or a mixture.

The maximum number of objects  is equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of one object). 

Infusions. 

*Enhanced Weapon +1

Mind Sharpener

BATTLESMITH FEATURES

Equipment

General Inventory 

Scale +1 (infuse) 45#

Travelers clothes 4#
Backpack 5#
Bedroll 7#
Mess Kit 1#
Rations x10 20#
Waterskin 5#
Crowbar 5#
Pitons 2#
50' silk rope 5#

Scrolls

Cure Wounds x2

Coin Purse  

100 gp diamond

50gp ruby dust

50gp platinum bands x2

Encumbrance

Spells

Notes

Threestrings, Bard in Waterdeep "Could you please deliver this to a female half-drow named Cal'al Claddani, who runs a tavern called the Flagon and the Dragon in Skullport, on the third level? Cal'al provided shelter and healing to a wounded friend of mine and I kind of owe her for it. Once you deliver the pouch, your group will be able to take refuge in a in a place called Dalagor's Fortress, located on the uppermost level of Skullport. A dragonborn mage named Felrax guards the place."

Esvele Rosznar, "my brother Kressando. He has gone down to Skullport to conduct secret meetings with the thief's guild there, for nefarious purposes I would assume. He is twenty-two years old and has fair skin, like mine, and real curly hair. Be wary though, he is highly trained in the art of stealth and thievery. He also wears a platinum signet ring bearing our family crest, a diving white falcon on a field of blue. The ring also bears an inscription 'Fly high and swoop swift'. House Rosznar to fulfil that debt. Skullport is connected to level 3 of Undermountain by the underground River Sargauth and by five meandering subterranean passageways: Beggar's Rest Pass, Shadow Pass, Steamfall Pass, Taglath's Gap, and Whisperhaunt Pass."

Defender Stats

Steel Defender

Medium construct

Hit Points: 31 (2 + your Intelligence modifier + 5 times your artificer level (the defender has a number of Hit Dice [d8s] equal to your artificer level))

Actions

Force-Empowered Rend. Melee Weapon Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one target you can see. Hit: 1d8 + PB force damage.

Repair (3/Day). The magical mechanisms inside the defender restore 2d8 + PB hit points to itself or to one construct or object within 5 feet of it.

Reactions

Deflect Attack. The defender imposes disadvantage on the attack roll of one creature it can see that is within 5 feet of it, provided the attack roll is against a creature other than the defender.

AC: 12 | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 14 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3, 3rd 2/2 | Portents: 20, 13

Glancing over his notes, Blue leaned in towards the others and spoke sotto voce"Little does she know I already finished writing down what she said at the same time she finished saying it."

Then he tossed a wink to Xaya and added, in a more normal tone, "Not that we needed to, but still.  Better safe than sorry." 

The wizard turned in his seat to face the bar room more fully, his Grimoire drifting off the table to stay underneath his still busily moving pen.  Looking around politely, he waited to see if anyone would take Xaya up on her offer.  He did hope that, if there were any takers, they would speak now rather than continue coming one at a time.  Not that he minded the requests.  They offered some degree of direction beyond just going down into the depths and hoping to stumble across something worth chasing on the first day.  Blue assumed it would be two or three days at least before they found clues to some kind of treasure worth running down.  

'Although,' he corrected himself mentally, 'Threestrings' request is actually a job.  He did give us the package he wanted delivered, and we do stand to gain substantially from getting it to its proper recipient.  Otherwise I'd have had to ask for some form of payment up front.  Don't want to go breaking the rules before we even get into Undermountain.'

Mechanics

Prepared Spells

Prepared Spells (10)

Absorb Elements, Shield, Magic Missile, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Feather Fall, Mage Armor

Web, Misty Step

Hypnotic Pattern

spacer.png

Dungeon of the Mad Mage Level 1: Dungeon Level

"We will see what we can do. Has anyone made a map of Skullport and the approaching passageways? I would love to see one before we go. The names mean little without knowing the route each takes. " Xaya asked of anyone. When Esvele shook her head and no one else responded it was obvious no one had such a document handy.

Volo quickly spoke up "Perhaps, you should make one when you are down there.  Got to be worth something to somebody. Perhaps I could put your maps in a new book.... 'Volo's Guide to Undermountain' .... has a nice ring to it doesn't it."

"Does anyone else here have requests of us? We are departing soon so speak up if you do." Xaya then called out, but the crowd had fell silent in anticipation for what was coming next.

Durnan came over from behind the bar and unlocked the large gear on side of the well and readied himself at the crank. Varta stood and made her way over to the side of the well as she bent over the edge and looked down into the inky darkness before pulling the large bucket over to her and slowly climbing in, making sure the wooden bucket would hold her weight before swinging free from the edge and holding the rope to study herself as it swung back and forth a couple of times.

Narissa made her way over to the edge and held her focus forward as she uttered a couple of words and the woman's armor glowed brightly. Durnan began to turn the crank as the goliath slowly disappeared below the rim of the well as she made her way down, over a hundred feet before the chamber below came into sight.

Entry Well

At the bottom of the Yawning Portal entry well is a 40-foot-square room, the only exit appears to be a 10-foot-wide tunnel that leads south out of the room. A thin layer of sand covers the floor as the goliath stepped out of the bucket. Looking around she can see that the walls are adorned with dozens and dozens of dented and rusty shields of all make, sizes, and colors, graffiti covers the front of most of the shields and any wall space that has not been taken by a shield. She gave the rope a double tug which indicated to Durnan to begin pulling it back up for the next person.

spacer.png

OOC Scene Notes

Fourth Day, the 24th of TarsakhApril @ 3:30 am

MAP IS ACTIVE

Please use directions when moving (N,S,S,E,E, etc.)

Combat/Conditions Tracker

spacer.png
Currently Not in Use

spacer.png
Currently Not in Use

spacer.png
Currently Not in Use

spacer.png
Currently Not in Use

Characters Status

spacer.png

Varta 'Rockgrinder'

Hitpoints: 49/49 (shield master)
Hitdice: 5/5

Action Surge: 1/1 *S
Cloud Rune: 1/1 *S

Giant's Might: 3/3 *L

Second Wind: 1/1 *S

Stone Rune: 1/1 *S

Stone's Endurance: 1/1 *S
DM Inspiration: 1/1
Attuned Magic Items: 0/3

Active Maps

spacer.png

spacer.png

Level 1 - Dungeon Level

spacer.png

Xaya watches Varta go down into the dungeon. When there are two tugs on the rope, she helps pull the basket back up. Once it arrives, she climbs in, ready to be lowered down. 

"I'm ready. Send the dragon after me.

As she gets closer, as long as she can still see Varta, she calls out to her. 

"Do you see anything down there?"

Mechanics

Defender Move: 

Character Sheet

DM Inspiration Yes

Weapons All weapons

Infusions. 

*Enhanced Weapon +1

Mind Sharpener

BATTLESMITH FEATURES

Equipment

General Inventory 

Scale +1 (infuse) 45#

Travelers clothes 4#
Backpack 5#
Bedroll 7#
Mess Kit 1#
Rations x10 20#
Waterskin 5#
Crowbar 5#
Pitons 2#
50' silk rope 5#

Scrolls

Cure Wounds x2

Coin Purse  

100 gp diamond

50gp ruby dust

50gp platinum bands x2

Encumbrance

Spells

Notes

Esvele Rosznar, "my brother Kressando. He has gone down to Skullport to conduct secret meetings with the thief's guild there, for nefarious purposes I would assume. He is twenty-two years old and has fair skin, like mine, and real curly hair. Be wary though, he is highly trained in the art of stealth and thievery. He also wears a platinum signet ring bearing our family crest, a diving white falcon on a field of blue. The ring also bears an inscription 'Fly high and swoop swift'. House Rosznar to fulfil that debt. Skullport is connected to level 3 of Undermountain by the underground River Sargauth and by five meandering subterranean passageways: Beggar's Rest Pass, Shadow Pass, Steamfall Pass, Taglath's Gap, and Whisperhaunt Pass."

Defender Stats

In combat, the defender shares your initiative count, but it takes its turn immediately after yours. It can move and use its reaction on its own, but the only action it takes on its turn is the Dodge action, unless you take a bonus action on your turn to command it to take another action. That action can be one in its stat block or some other action. If you are incapacitated, the defender can take any action of its choice, not just Dodge.

If the Mending spell is cast on it, it regains 2d6 hit points. If it has died within the last hour, you can use your smith's tools as an action to revive it, provided you are within 5 feet of it and you expend a spell slot of 1st level or higher. The steel defender returns to life after 1 minute with all its hit points restored.

At the end of a long rest, you can create a new steel defender if you have smith's tools with you. If you already have a defender from this feature, the first one immediately perishes. The defender also perishes if you die.

Steel Defender

Medium construct

Hit Points: 31 (2 + your Intelligence modifier + 5 times your artificer level (the defender has a number of Hit Dice [d8s] equal to your artificer level))

Actions

Reactions

Varta Rockgrinder - Goliath Fighter (Rune Knight) 5spacer.png

"Come on down, friends.  If it held me, it sure as hells'll hold you.  And if any of you are shield enthusiasts, I think you're about to find heaven."

Varta was happy enough to wait for the others as they all came down the bucket, even volunteering to catch someone who fell.  Mostly, the Goliath told herself that she was going to have to keep a lot of softies safe so they could do their thing while she was busy smashing.  Fair enough; that was normally how she got hired for jobs like these.

While the Goliath waited, she decided to add to the graffiti, carving "Can't Find a Place to Sit Down" by Hugh Jass, all of it in Giant.

Mechanics

HP: 49 /49

Second Wind 1/1

Action Surge 1/1

Cloud Rune 1/1

Stone Rune 1/1

Main Hand: Battleaxe
Off Hand: Shield

Action: Battleaxe 2x
Bonus Action: Shield Bash

Reaction:

Character Sheet

Varta Inulpine - Goliath Rune Knight Fighter 5

Str 16 (+3) Dex 10 (+2) Con 16 (+3) Int 8 (+4) Wis 14 (+2) Cha 10 (+0)
Speed 30 ft.HP 49 HD 5d10 AC 20 (Splintmail +1, Shield)

Passive Perception 15 Initiative +0
Vision: 120' darkvision
DM Inspiration Yes
Languages Common, Giant, Elvish, Dwarvish

Greatsword +7 attack, 1d8+4 slashing damage

Javelin (range 30/120) +6 attack, 1d6 piercing

Proficiency +3 Saving Throws Strength +6, Constitution +6

Weapons All weapons

Shield Master: 
Source: Player's Handbook

You use shields not just for protection but also for offense. You gain the following benefits while you are wielding a shield:

If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to try to shove a creature within 5 feet of you with your shield.

If you aren't incapacitated, you can add your shield's AC bonus to any Dexterity saving throw you make against a spell or other harmful effect that targets only you.

If you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you can use your reaction to take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, interposing your shield between yourself and the source of the effect.

Size. Goliaths are between 7 and 8 feet tall and weigh between 280 and 340 pounds. Your size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Natural Athlete. You have proficiency in the Athletics skill.

Stone's Endurance. You can focus yourself to occasionally shrug off injury. When you take damage, you can use your reaction to roll a d12. Add your Constitution modifier to the number rolled, and reduce the damage by that total. After you use this trait, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.

Mountain Born. You have resistance to cold damage. You’re also acclimated to high altitude, including elevations above 20,000 feet.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Giant.

Fighting Style:  Dueling
Second Wind
Action Surge
Rune Carver
Giant's Might

Equipment

General Inventory 

Splintmail +1  45#
Battleaxe +1  6#

Travelers clothes 4#
Backpack 5#
Bedroll 7#