Pre Game Huddle

Sovereign Sojourn

1 hour ago, Shadowstarr said:

Evendur

1) You are right It does look like a lot but I think I can explain."feats" doc lists the feats that come with "elephant in the room" rules. IE power attack, deadly aim, combat expertise, unarmed combatant. The build also gets two additional feats, one from race and another from the brawler (shield champion) class at 2nd level. The actual selected feats are:

1st:(race bonus feat) blessed, 1a: dodge, 1b. toughness, 1c. weapon focus (close weapons), 1d. additional traits.

2nd:(brawler bonus feat 2nd level). missile shield. 2a. muscular reflexes, 2b. extra combat talent

3a. shield focus 3b. (unselected)

2) The stats are jacked for sure. I did a custom race and rebuilt the human pushing it up to 16 RP. Seems as if others were doing something similar in their builds, is that not allowed? I'll show my work from that:

Blessed human:

Qualities:

• Type: Humanoid: 0 RP
  • Size: med: 0 RP
  • Speed: Normal: 0 RP
  • Lang group: Standard: 0 RP
  • Race Lang: Celestial: 0 RP

Ability Scores: (advanced: 4 RP)

• +2 Strength, Dexterity, Constitution
  • +4 Charisma
  • -2 Intelligence

Racial Traits:

• Flexible Bonus Feat: 4 RP
  • Lucky, Lesser: 2 RP
  • Natural Armor: 2 RP
  • Skilled: 4 RP

Casual Viking

I love hero lab.

IDK why the sheet did not have the shield bash numbers listed. I'll have to check out the output settings.

I did take Expanded Guardian to have both patrol and challenge.

The flurry is from the shield champion archetype as is the throw shield (EX) at level 3, it is a good deal better than just the gear mod. But I did take that as well To insure the shield was made for that use as well. The archetype offers the return at level 5, I am considering taking the throwing mastery equipment talent until then.

Equipment: Monk Weapon Training. does not let you flurry on its own. It grants one extra attack as a bonus action if you already have flurry ablity.

"You gain proficiency with all weapons with the monk special feature. If you have this talent and either the brawler’s flurry or flurry of blows class feature, you may make one additional attack with a weapon in this group as a free action whenever you make an attack action with a weapon from this group or an unarmed strike, but both attacks take a -2 penalty. You must decide whether or not to use this ability before making the first attack roll for your attack action. Attacks made using this ability apply your full Strength bonus to the damage roll, regardless of whether the weapon is wielded with two hands or with an off-hand."

Thank you both for pointing out things I should of explained better. I hope what I have done is correct. I'll reconfigure to a regular human if we're not allowed to custom race at 16 RP.

Make sure the GM is ok with you taking advanced ability scores, because that's not adding additional race traits that are currently available to the race.

When he initially OK'd me adding RP to my race, I was selecting additional race traits from the race I was selecting. You are kinda breaking the essence of it by giving your race a HUGE ability score boost of +2,+2,+2,+4,-2 for a low cost of 4 Rp.

If you wanted a blessed human, you could take some Aasimar race traits for the RP and add it to human, or add extra human race traits that are listed as alternate race traits.

Trust me, I would have loved to take advanced ability scores for the huge boost, but I didn't even change the default ability scores, because it was going against the essence of the race.

Below is his post, you can see how he was reluctant to allow adding RP

I'm not super interested in allowing RP or racebuilder manipulation, for two reasons. First is that, to a point, the races are designed to be what they are, meaning a race with unusual features would certainly at least need to explain why/how that happened? But secondly, because it requires me to double-check the math on that just like I double-check everything else. Then there's the questions of sources, and of balance.

I guess my ruling will actually be this; you can add ONE racial ability in order to bring the RP closer to 16. But I won't allow removal of RP to bring high RP races into play. And then you'll need to at least slightly justify that addition, if you make one. I would allow for unusual origins or unusual events to add a feature like that.

I jumped the gun on this. @Steel Warrior As long as you show all your work, anything below RP 16 is permissible, either by adding or removing racial abilities. Just please clearly show all your mathz so I can give it a once-over.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, Steel Warrior said:

Make sure the GM is ok with you taking advanced ability scores, because that's not adding additional race traits that are currently available to the race.

When he initially OK'd me adding RP to my race, I was selecting additional race traits from the race I was selecting. You are kinda breaking the essence of it by giving your race a HUGE ability score boost of +2,+2,+2,+4,-2 for a low cost of 4 Rp.

If you wanted a blessed human, you could take some Aasimar race traits for the RP and add it to human, or add extra human race traits that are listed as alternate race traits.

Trust me, I would have loved to take advanced ability scores for the huge boost, but I didn't even change the default ability scores, because it was going against the essence of the race.

Below is his post, you can see how he was reluctant to allow adding RP

I'm not super interested in allowing RP or racebuilder manipulation, for two reasons. First is that, to a point, the races are designed to be what they are, meaning a race with unusual features would certainly at least need to explain why/how that happened? But secondly, because it requires me to double-check the math on that just like I double-check everything else. Then there's the questions of sources, and of balance.

I guess my ruling will actually be this; you can add ONE racial ability in order to bring the RP closer to 16. But I won't allow removal of RP to bring high RP races into play. And then you'll need to at least slightly justify that addition, if you make one. I would allow for unusual origins or unusual events to add a feature like that.

I jumped the gun on this. @Steel Warrior As long as you show all your work, anything below RP 16 is permissible, either by adding or removing racial abilities. Just please clearly show all your mathz so I can give it a once-over.

Makes sense.

@Sovereign Sojourn, as the Wyvaran race is 17 RP and you wanted it brought down to 16 RP or under, and were not keen on Flying, I was hoping for a clarification - would it be okay to just simply use the 3pp alternate racial feature 'Walker'? You lose 'Flight' (4 RP) and gain 'Gliding Wings' (3 RP) to drop it from a 17 RP race to a proper 16 RP race.

Flight

Flight (4 RP)

Prerequisites: None.

Benefit: Members of this race have a fly speed of 30 feet with clumsy maneuverability.

Gliding Wings

Gliding Wings (3 RP)

Prerequisites: None.

Benefit: Members of this race take no damage from falling (as if subject to a constant non-magical feather fall spell). While in midair, members of this race can move up to 5 feet in any horizontal direction for every 1 foot they fall, at a speed of 60 feet per round. A member of a race with gliding wings cannot gain height with these wings alone; it merely coasts in other directions as it falls. If subjected to a strong wind or any other effect that causes a creature with gliding wings to rise, it can take advantage of the updraft to increase the distance it can glide.

I was also curious if the 3pp Wyvaran specific feats like Warding Wings would be approved for current or future use or not, so I can plan accordingly. :)

I finished my core concept and am now creating a sheet for it. While there are several Alchemists, it is neat that everyone who is using is is using it differently. I like how the class can go in so many different directions. My primary direction is Combat Medic, but also Skillmonkey. I do have an alternate version listed in my app as well now, in case someone else really leans into the Skillmonkey concept, so as not to poach two 'roles', though.

Edited by BBK (see edit history)

20 hours ago, Evendur said:

I'm not sure why one would want to use [the Arm Cannon] over regular DB. I guess there are some feats and such that could make them better, but I'm not sure you couldn't just instead take Extra Spell points and have more 1d6/level blasts per day and do a lot more damage.

Yeah, there are feats that make them better, like all the ranged combat feats. Take Rapid Shot (at this level, Barrage sphere), Deadly Aim (which is given for free thanks to "no feat tax", actually), etc etc. I'm pretty sure that you don't get two, but you could potentially dual-wield (if not two arm cannon, then arm cannon + something else). You can't do that with Destructive Blast. They actually nerfed the Blaster Armourist in USoP (though the Armourist as a whole got buffed) it was kicking out so much damage.

Since it's a bound weapon, the Arm Cannon also gets a nifty enhancement bonus, which can be traded for special properties - so you can actually put Blast Vessel on your blast cannon, and deal another Destructive Blast effect (and some more damage) on every hit!

Destructive Blasts that you spend SP on can perhaps do more damage (per hit) and affect AoOs and stuff, but that costs SP. And, actually, your overall single-target damage output is probably not as much.

@Sovereign Sojourn - are we allowed to propose custom Martial Traditions, or are we limited to the existing examples?

I'm assuming that we're using the (admittedly rather generous) Spheres gestalt rules - these say that if you would get a tradition from both your L1 classes, you can get two extra (discipline) talents. But, most of the example Martial Traditions already have spent talents on proficiencies. If we're limited to the existing traditions, could we perhaps spend these extra talents on non-(discipline) ones so long as we still have two? (Otherwise we'll all just have like proficiency in a whole bunch of things we'll never use... which is not a big deal but, hey, may as well ask 🙂)

EDIT: Also, I feel like I might just have missed this, but what rules for HP?

Edited by TheFred (see edit history)

3 hours ago, TheFred said:

@Sovereign Sojourn - are we allowed to propose custom Martial Traditions, or are we limited to the existing examples?

I'm assuming that we're using the (admittedly rather generous) Spheres gestalt rules - these say that if you would get a tradition from both your L1 classes, you can get two extra (discipline) talents. But, most of the example Martial Traditions already have spent talents on proficiencies. If we're limited to the existing traditions, could we perhaps spend these extra talents on non-(discipline) ones so long as we still have two? (Otherwise we'll all just have like proficiency in a whole bunch of things we'll never use... which is not a big deal but, hey, may as well ask 🙂)

EDIT: Also, I feel like I might just have missed this, but what rules for HP?

You can create and propose custom Martial Traditions using the rules outlined, but I won't be able to commit to a detailed review of custom traditions until after I accept players. Hopefully, we can work out the kinks then. I would say to try and stick extra close to those examples, though.

We're actually not using those special gestalt rules - or rather, I have a homebrew limitation that is meant to essentially prevent this, which is in the rules under Classes. I am looking for only mixed sources on each "side" of gestalt (I know, I know...) which would include only one source for spheres abilities, and not really looking for the headaches that come with gestalt spheres. And I'd like everyone to stick to the spirit of the law here. So the intention here is that you also won't take alternative class features that cause you to gain spheres content on both "sides" of the gestalt build. Or for that matter, any alternative features that would also cause you to gain two sources of Path of War features, or two Psionics classes with two point pool sources... or anything else that makes my brain sad.

Let me know if there's something about this that doesn't jive, I am hardly perfect just spinning plates and containing chaos over here. :)

16 hours ago, Shadowstarr said:

The stats are jacked for sure. I did a custom race and rebuilt the human pushing it up to 16 RP. Seems as if others were doing something similar in their builds, is that not allowed?

This wasn't exactly my intention, but it's my own fault for not committing to a hard ruling here. We will have a group chat about this sort of stuff afterwards, but for now, build as if I have said yes to this. Something will definitely need to change, but I am also not one of those people who needs everyone's characters to be the exact same power level in order for us to start playing. I pride myself in my ability to account for everyone's strengths and weaknesses as well as accounting for the variation in loot that can occur. Everything from the loot you find to the way enemies will behave will include these calculations as one of several elements. If one player was initially started off on a "weaker" foot than the others, I tend to be able to quantify this and fix it later.

But you do have some crazy stats lol.

19 hours ago, Rejakor said:

the character concept I am making is a messed up magical actor who has a weird, magical relationship with mirrors possibly due to their reflection coming alive. They're not intended to be separate characters with their own stories, although you could have a situation where the main character is abducted/captured and then write the perspective of the reflection becoming increasingly messed up by being parted from their original.

This seems fine to me.

...Also, creepy as hell.

Edited by Sovereign Sojourn (see edit history)

3 hours ago, TheFred said:

Yeah, there are feats that make them better, like all the ranged combat feats. Take Rapid Shot (at this level, Barrage sphere), Deadly Aim (which is given for free thanks to "no feat tax", actually), etc etc. I'm pretty sure that you don't get two, but you could potentially dual-wield (if not two arm cannon, then arm cannon + something else). You can't do that with Destructive Blast. They actually nerfed the Blaster Armourist in USoP (though the Armourist as a whole got buffed) it was kicking out so much damage.

Since it's a bound weapon, the Arm Cannon also gets a nifty enhancement bonus, which can be traded for special properties - so you can actually put Blast Vessel on your blast cannon, and deal another Destructive Blast effect (and some more damage) on every hit!

Destructive Blasts that you spend SP on can perhaps do more damage (per hit) and affect AoOs and stuff, but that costs SP. And, actually, your overall single-target damage output is probably not as much.

I took the Additional Binding trick, so I should be able to have a second one, since it says you can bind additional ones as normal.

Oh, and yeah, I know, I've got bonuses traded away and such.

Well, with single target ones, I was kind of assuming Gather Power by default.

2 hours ago, Starhawk said:

The deadline is about now, right?

The advertisement is closed. With one or two exceptions from people contacting me via private messages, I will not be accepting any new applications that have not already started.

The actual cut off date was originally set to August 27th, although I also left the door open to pick a party sooner, if one emerges that I really like. As of this moment, I am content to continue letting people work without pressure for a few more days.

Edited by Sovereign Sojourn (see edit history)

Also, I could have sworn someone somewhere asked me about hit points. You gain the maximum amount at each level, so, make sure you have the largest hit dice available to you with gestalt in mind, let's say it's d10, well, you gain 10 hit points plus your constitution modifier at each level.

I may amend this after the game begins, as in, I may reduce the amount you gain from any future levels going forward. Still doing some number crunching...

1 hour ago, Sovereign Sojourn said:

This wasn't exactly my intention, but it's my own fault for not committing to a hard ruling here. We will have a group chat about this sort of stuff afterwards, but for now, build as if I have said yes to this. Something will definitely need to change, but I am also not one of those people who needs everyone's characters to be the exact same power level in order for us to start playing. I pride myself in my ability to account for everyone's strengths and weaknesses as well as accounting for the variation in loot that can occur. Everything from the loot you find to the way enemies will behave will include these calculations as one of several elements. If one player was initially started off on a "weaker" foot than the others, I tend to be able to quantify this and fix it later.

But you do have some crazy stats lol.

It's all good I'll drop the super soldier'ish inspired bit and do something reasonable, asaimar likely