Pre Game Huddle

Sovereign Sojourn

8 hours ago, Starhawk said:

The deadline is about now, right?

Oops, I’d better get a thread up then and pretend it’s been there for ages…

7 hours ago, Sovereign Sojourn said:

So the intention here is that you also won't take alternative class features that cause you to gain spheres content on both "sides" of the gestalt build. Or for that matter, any alternative features that would also cause you to gain two sources of Path of War features, or two Psionics classes with two point pool sources... or anything else that makes my brain sad.

Personally, I’m not sold on the spheres gestalt rules anyway. Two things, though: firstly, you did say that PoW archetypes for base classes could count as base classes (meaning you’d have two lots of PoW); it’s a bit ambiguous as to whether mixing up spheres archetypes is OK and I think some people might have been doing that. Secondly, I wasn’t planning on that, but any martial class can still get a martial tradition under spheres and I’d figured that would still apply here. If not, no worries, but if we do have a spheres class, do we still lose the proficiencies from our other class (but not get the extra talents?) or what?

1 hour ago, TheFred said:

Oops, I’d better get a thread up then and pretend it’s been there for ages…

Personally, I’m not sold on the spheres gestalt rules anyway. Two things, though: firstly, you did say that PoW archetypes for base classes could count as base classes (meaning you’d have two lots of PoW); it’s a bit ambiguous as to whether mixing up spheres archetypes is OK and I think some people might have been doing that. Secondly, I wasn’t planning on that, but any martial class can still get a martial tradition under spheres and I’d figured that would still apply here. If not, no worries, but if we do have a spheres class, do we still lose the proficiencies from our other class (but not get the extra talents?) or what?

Yeah, you can't have 2 non base classes from the same source.
So you can't be a Monk (PoW) Archetype, and a Soulknife (PoW) archetype, because the archetypes overlap in the PoW
I was going to play a Monk (Spheres) Archetype and a (Spheres) Mageknight, but GM said I couldn't because both sides were using Spheres.

Custom Aasimar for Approval (changes underlined). Basically just exchanging lame skill bonuses for something more useful and still in-theme.

Original Aasimar

Type Outsider (native) 3

Size Medium 0

Base Speed Normal 0

Ability Score ModifiersFlexible (+2 Wis, +2 Cha) 2

Languages Standard 0

Resistance Celestial resistance 3

Skill Bonus Diplomacy 2

Skill Bonus Perception 2

Spell-Like Ability Greater 3

Sense Darkvision 60 ft.

—Total 15

New, Sexier Aasimar

Type Outsider (native) 3

Size Medium 0

Base Speed Normal 0

Ability Score ModifiersFlexible (+2 Wis, +2 Cha) 2

Languages Standard 0

Resistance Celestial resistance 3

Static Feat: Basic Magic Training - Light Sphere 2

Eternal Hope (+2 vs fear, despair, 1/day reroll nat 1) 2

Spell-Like Ability Greater 3

Sense Darkvision 60 ft.

—Total 15

I decided to change up my app. I am still a Kitsune, but instead of a melee type, I'm going the Vitalist/Incantur route.

I only added part of the background, but not how I joined the pathfinders as of yet. Super tired and have had a bad headache for the past 6 hours.

6 hours ago, Steel Warrior said:

Yeah, you can't have 2 non base classes from the same source.
So you can't be a Monk (PoW) Archetype, and a Soulknife (PoW) archetype, because the archetypes overlap in the PoW
I was going to play a Monk (Spheres) Archetype and a (Spheres) Mageknight, but GM said I couldn't because both sides were using Spheres.

I am aware, but what I was saying was:

1. The rules actually say: "You should not use more than one class from each source - so only one Occult class, only one Path of War class, only one Base class, only one Spheres class, etc. Initiating Archetypes for base/core classes can count as either base/core or Path of War for this purpose." So a Spheres archetype with a Spheres class may not be OK, but a PoW archetype with a PoW class is.
  2. Non-Spheres classes can still take martial traditions (and, even if that's ruled not to be allowed, my question then is what are the rules for combining a tradition with proficiencies for another class?).

Alright, let me see how the numbers turned out.

(near) Baseline attack: Swift to mark the target with the Duelist Veil. Standard to Energy Strike with pistol: +8 touch, 1d8+6 +1d6 electricity + Bleed 2 + fort DC 15 or fall prone if susceptible to bleed, followed by dual wielded sword, +8, 1d10+4 (or +13, 1d10+5 if the shot hit).

Medium attack: Having done something in an earlier round, swift to mark, Standard and 1 spell point to Energy Strike with pistol: +9 touch, 1d8+7 +3d6+2 electricity + Bleed 2 + fort DC 15 or fall prone if susceptible to bleed, followed by dual wielded sword, +9, 1d10+5 (or +13, 1d10+5 if the shot hit)

Absolute Nova, all dominoes lined up: 5 links in my Sequence, the target is already Marked, I've switched to Caged Sun stance. ....About twice the "medium attack", let me get back to that after a good night's sleep.

5 hours ago, TheFred said:

The rules actually say: "You should not use more than one class from each source - so only one Occult class, only one Path of War class, only one Base class, only one Spheres class, etc. Initiating Archetypes for base/core classes can count as either base/core or Path of War for this purpose." So a Spheres archetype with a Spheres class may not be OK, but a PoW archetype with a PoW class is.

This is so interesting, because you've read it entirely correctly but still come away with a different understanding than what I meant. The fault is mine due to the wording, which is simply incorrectly phrased.

What I MEANT was that Initiating Archetypes count as BOTH. In my head, I thought of it as "Yeah, it counts as either, so it counts as a base class if you're looking to see if you have a base class, or as a Path of War class when you're looking to see if you already have a PoW class. So it counts as either!"

My brain is um, how do you say

not good

14 hours ago, TheFred said:

any martial class can still get a martial tradition under spheres and I’d figured that would still apply here. If not, no worries, but if we do have a spheres class, do we still lose the proficiencies from our other class

So hopefully this question is resolved. You don't lose your proficiencies from your non-gestalt class, which is nice and feels more gestalt-y.

With everyone using the Spheres stuff, my dude is looking kinda weak sauce for combat...but as a Healer/Trapmonkey for his Primary role, I suppose that isn't all that surprising. He was built to at least survive the frontlines while doing his thing, and I think the build accomplishes that. Overall, I am happy with my concept & build.

16 minutes ago, Sovereign Sojourn said:

What I MEANT was that Initiating Archetypes count as BOTH. In my head, I thought of it as "Yeah, it counts as either, so it counts as a base class if you're looking to see if you have a base class, or as a Path of War class when you're looking to see if you already have a PoW class. So it counts as either!"

Ah, right... well, fortunately, it doesn't affect me (I was going Spheres alongside a Psionics class with a PoW archetype) but it may affect others, if they've gone with combinations you weren't intending.

12 minutes ago, Sovereign Sojourn said:

So hopefully this question is resolved. You don't lose your proficiencies from your non-gestalt class, which is nice and feels more gestalt-y.

Ah, OK. That's actually rather more generous, then, though I suppose it depends on the classes. I'll take it, anyway. 🙂

49 minutes ago, Sovereign Sojourn said:

This is so interesting, because you've read it entirely correctly but still come away with a different understanding than what I meant. The fault is mine due to the wording, which is simply incorrectly phrased.

My brain is um, how do you say

not good

So I think this means my current build is bad? illegal Brawler (shield champion) Hybrid class w/ Adv. Player's Guide archetype. And a Paladin (base class) with (dirt-Splattered Angel / Warrior of Blind Faith) two spheres of might archetypes. (which the two seem to be made to work together as there is a special rule written in for the combo in the combat training portion on Dirt-Spattered Angel. )

I also did the martial tradition, proficiency swap.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Shadowstarr (see edit history)

40 minutes ago, BBK said:

With everyone using the Spheres stuff, my dude is looking kinda weak sauce for combat...but as a Healer/Trapmonkey for his Primary role, I suppose that isn't all that surprising. He was built to at least survive the frontlines while doing his thing, and I think the build accomplishes that. Overall, I am happy with my concept & build.

I feel you. I have not attempted spheres until preparing for this app process and My build so far will not ever come close in damage output at some of the others. And that is ok. My goal is to be the shield of the party take the hits and blocks attacks directed at others. Its been good learning experience either way would be a fun character play no matter who is in the group.

oh and #everyone I think I've finished my final build sheet is linked , please check for spheres problems.

Edited by Shadowstarr (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Shadowstarr said:

So I think this means my current build is bad? Brawler (shield champion) Hybrid class w/ Adv. Player's Guide archetype. And a Paladin (base class) with (dirt-Splattered Angel / Warrior of Blind Faith) two spheres of might archetypes. (which the two seem to be made to work together as there is a special rule written in for the combo in the combat training portion on Dirt-Spattered Angel. )

Any thoughts?

Well, I think we'd need to quantify "bad".

If the build does what you want it to do, and you're happy with the character as is, then no, the build is great.

If it doesn't do what you want it to do, then well, you might need some work.

Why did you feel it was bad?

3 minutes ago, Shadowstarr said:

So I think this means my current build is bad? Brawler (shield champion) Hybrid class w/ Adv. Player's Guide archetype. And a Paladin (base class) with (dirt-Splattered Angel / Warrior of Blind Faith) two spheres of might archetypes. (which the two seem to be made to work together as there is a special rule written in for the combo in the combat training portion on Dirt-Spattered Angel. )

Any thoughts?

I am pretty sure the GM said you keep your proficiencies of your Brawler class (since it's not Spheres), and you get your normal martial tradition from the Paladin archetypes (Spheres)