The Out-of-Character Chat Thread

Man, I do love rolling for ability scores. I came in loving the game idea but no idea what character to make. My best set is 16, three 13s and two 12s, so very good across the board but no one shockingly high ability score. This has me thinking standard human and one of the classes that draws on a lot of ability scores versus one or two, which is going a long way to inspire the type of character I now have brewing. Cheers!

I'm a little confused on the rules for the level 1 bonus feat. Most if not all backgrounds have some feat where you can get shelter or information from characters from your background. Are we substituting those feats, or are there specific backgrounds that don't even have those?

1 hour ago, Kazic5000 said:

I'm a little confused on the rules for the level 1 bonus feat. Most if not all backgrounds have some feat where you can get shelter or information from characters from your background. Are we substituting those feats, or are there specific backgrounds that don't even have those?

Those are background features, not feats. Check pages 165–170 of the PHB. There are other feats available in sources such as the Dragonlance campaign book (pp. 31–34), the Eberron book (pp. 22 & 52), Fizban’s (p. 17), Mordenkainen’s ToF (p. 114), the Strixhaven Curriculum of Chaos (pp. 36 & 37), Tasha’s (pp. 79–81), and Xanathar’s (pp. 73–75).

A couple of backgrounds, such as the Knight of Solamnia background, provide you with a specific 1st-level feat: Squire of Solamnia. If your background doesn’t provide you with a specific 1st-level feat, you may choose either the Skilled feat or the Tough feat.

4 minutes ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:

Those are background features, not feats. Check pages 165–170 of the PHB. There are other feats available in sources such as the Dragonlance campaign book (pp. 31–34), the Eberron book (pp. 22 & 52), Fizban’s (p. 17), Mordenkainen’s ToF (p. 114), the Strixhaven Curriculum of Chaos (pp. 36 & 37), Tasha’s (pp. 79–81), and Xanathar’s (pp. 73–75).

A couple of backgrounds, such as the Knight of Solamnia background, provide you with a specific 1st-level feat: Squire of Solamnia. If your background doesn’t provide you with a specific 1st-level feat, you may choose either the Skilled feat or the Tough feat.

Neat, thanks.