The Out-of-Character Chat Thread

Well, the dwarf guy did say he wanted Badmaw there at 6. So that's probably first on the docket. Hopefully we can figure out some way to find whatever's harassing the dungsweepers so we're not stuck there for a tenday. Then the scarecrow's probably something we could take care of relatively quick and get it out of the way. I think stopping the fighting's gonna be most complicated. Maybe we could cut off their funding by mugging the Zhent giving out the coin?

Also, I don't think Rurik got his mission yet.

So here's the missions that I can see:

• Guard the Dungsweeper's Guild for 10 days
  • Destroy a living scarecrow that's been terrorizing people
  • Stop a gang fight before it happens
  • Find a horse to get information ??? - Has Rurik gotten the Harper's mission yet? I assume Amberlyn would go along to the opera and also not understand the appeal as she's an uncultured bumpkin.

Of the three four, feel like the scarecrow is the more immediate danger.

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)

I haven't gotten the mission yet. Going to need to put in a post about the night at the opera (and slipping out during the intermission). Amongst other things. Will do so sometime within the next day.

10 hours ago, Doggie_arf said:

I haven't gotten the mission yet. Going to need to put in a post about the night at the opera (and slipping out during the intermission). Amongst other things. Will do so sometime within the next day.

You know . . . all this time, I've had this weird feeling that I've been forgetting something in the game . . . and now it reveals itself. Gorrramnit!

I'll try to get a post up for you as soon as possible. And I apologize for not getting it up earlier.

It's fine, I've also been busy, and the multiple threads going on have been hard to track. 🙃

But my Sundays should be clearing up, so I'll have more time to reply soon. 🙂

If a "passive" History is 10 + modifier, Rurik should be making all those checks for Mirt thanks to Expertise (from Blessings of Knowledge).

Will still need to roll the Investigation.

8 hours ago, Doggie_arf said:

If a "passive" History is 10 + modifier, Rurik should be making all those checks for Mirt thanks to Expertise (from Blessings of Knowledge).

Will still need to roll the Investigation.

Yep! In general, for Knowledge checks, I don't mind defaulting to Passive scores (10+mod), and only requiring a roll if you wouldn't make the passive.

I feel like Badmaw has to honor his word and at least show up to meet the dungsweepers. Hopefully they know where the guys harassing them reside so we can take care of that quicker.

@Kamishiro_Rin Could Badmaw have done some experiments with the paper bird in the tavern repairing time? I'd like to know:

If the bird will circle around a building to find an open entrance to reach it's target. Or if it will take the most direct route and crash into any closed entrances or other obstacles.
Will the bird fly underground to a recipient?
If the bird immediately sets out in the direction of it's target
If the bird is susceptible to opportunity attacks
Does someone have to personally know the recipient to send the bird? Could someone who has never seen or heard a person, just have their name, send them a bird?
Do nicknames work as a recipient address? Would it work if I addressed it to 'Rani', as opposed to her full name?

9 hours ago, Peacemonger said:

Fancy!

My vote is to start with the Emerald Enclave. Feel like dealing with a monster threatening people's lives is the most urgent task. Pretty open on the order of the other three quests.

@astronavigatrix @Doggie_arf @Kazic5000 @zaffo

Pulling back the curtain a tad: you can do most of these "simultaneously". It's not an all-or-nothing. The LA's task is to meet the sweepers at 6 AM every day for ten days. Once they finish their work up in the morning, you have the rest of the day to go do things like find a talking horse. Where you'll need to pick days is for the scarecrow reports (they come out in the evenings), and the gang fights (in the evenings). What I figure is that because the related events for these happen on a chance-basis, is that you might consider just commit to spending some evenings out by Undermountain looking for the scarecrows (EE), then some evenings down in the Field Ward to stop a random fight (OotG).

2 hours ago, Kazic5000 said:

I feel like Badmaw has to honor his word and at least show up to meet the dungsweepers. Hopefully they know where the guys harassing them reside so we can take care of that quicker.

@Kamishiro_Rin Could Badmaw have done some experiments with the paper bird in the tavern repairing time? I'd like to know:

1. If the bird will circle around a building to find an open entrance to reach it's target. Or if it will take the most direct route and crash into any closed entrances or other obstacles.
  2. Will the bird fly underground to a recipient?
  3. If the bird immediately sets out in the direction of it's target
  4. If the bird is susceptible to opportunity attacks
  5. Does someone have to personally know the recipient to send the bird? Could someone who has never seen or heard a person, just have their name, send them a bird?
  6. Do nicknames work as a recipient address? Would it work if I addressed it to 'Rani', as opposed to her full name?

image.png.391e7516d5e003f04f926efffd8df039.png

1. It requires open windows/doors.
  2. If it can get underground, such as going through a manhole into a sewer, or through a cave entrance.
  3. Yes. Though pay attention to the second to the last paragraph. If you reach out to catch it or try to capture it in a cage to use as a tracking device, it will turn into ash. I think WotC intentionally put that sentence in just to stop them being used as a de facto tracking device (put it in a cage and watch it just point you in the right direction all the way to your target).
  4. Yes. It has hit points (well, A hit point), an AC, a speed, and stats, so it can be attacked and destroyed.
  5. That doesn't seem to be the case, since Mirt sent Rurik a paper bird without knowing him personally. Although, how much you know them would grant more leeway in terms of how you address them. See below.
  6. I imagine that it works on intent and knowledge. I.e., Mirt didn't know Rurik, so he had to learn Rurik's full name to address a bird to him. Mirt, had to know to contact 'Rurik Eversharp', but it knew which 'Rurik Eversharp' (if there were more than one in the world, and I'm certain there are), by intent. However, because you all know Ouránia Airgetlám as 'Rani' and it's sort of ingrained in your souls that the person of 'Ouránia Airgetlám' is 'Rani', you could address it to 'Rani' and it would go to her. However, you couldn't address it to 'Bleep-Bloop' as a code name for Pen Calder because even if you all agreed on it, it's not ingrained in your souls that Pen Calder is your friend 'Bleep-Bloop'. You couldn't even use 'P.C.' for the same reason. You could address it to just 'Pen', since you all know him as that. You also wouldn't be able to address it to "that guy with the eyeball tatoo on his head that we fought in the Yawning Portal, no not that other guy, that guy. Yeah him."

2 hours ago, Doggie_arf said:

Rurik kinda needs to use the bird. I hope we can get more.

*quickly updates message to fit the 50 word limit*

I thought y'all found a stack of them in the Zhent warehouse.

2 minutes ago, Doggie_arf said:

Not sure how many were in the box here, and it was logged as 1 bird.

Just checked. Yeah, you found 1, single, unused paper bird. That said, you can purchase them if you've got money.

A box of 6 sheets (average of 1d6+3) is 175 gp (average of (1d6×100)÷2)).