Ez Chazak

Rudolf

Background:

He wouldn’t have believed it, if it had been a story told by another. But he had seen the ruins of Esharuel himself, with his own eyes. The delicate walls had been breached, and the buildings within put to the torch. The lucky had died quickly in the fighting, the unlucky had been burnt alive, or left to starve in the ruins of their former home. Only the great stone piers had been left intact: presumably the humans had a use for them.

His current role was…unnatural; his people were kept to themselves and bothered none. But there was no denying that Queen Iske’s messengers had a point: having one’s home and clan destroyed -was- worse, so he joined the Queen’s levy. He found himself assigned to a patrol in the Deepwood, turning back human raiders and occasionally making raids of their own. It was not difficult to control the countryside, but with their Dwarven allies, the humans were building a set of fortified camps. They would be much costlier to destroy, and of the Queen’s forces, only the goblins were numerous enough to absorb the casualties without concern.

He had been on an observation assignment, watching from afar and counting the number of men, horses, and wagons being assembled along the western road. He -still- did not know what manner of magic was released from the enemy camp, only that it came with a brilliant yellow light. When his vision cleared, he was…somewhere new. Somewhere different.

Almost everything checks out for me. The only issue I see is that a mwk darkwood comp. (+4) shortbow should cost 695 gp75 gp --- composite shortbow
300 gp --- masterwork
20 gp --- darkwood (10 gp / lb)
300 gp --- +4 Str (75 gp / +1)
. So, you'll need to shuffle around some finances, but this looks like a great character, and I look forward to running some games with you.

What is the order of operations for item pricing? I’d like it to also be darkwood (helps v. Sunder), does that eliminate the +300 for a MW weapon? If not, what does the ‘counts as MW’ actually accomplish?

Thanks, I’ve never found this section of rules terribly clear.

39 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

What is the order of operations for item pricing? I’d like it to also be darkwood (helps v. Sunder), does that eliminate the +300 for a MW weapon? If not, what does the ‘counts as MW’ actually accomplish?

Thanks, I’ve never found this section of rules terribly clear.

From the source:

To determine the price of a darkwood item, use the original weight but add 10 gp per pound to the price of a masterwork version of that item.

So, you pay the price of a masterwork item, and add 10 gp per pound on top of that. It really wouldn't make sense if darkwood was just "all the benefits of masterwork, plus a little extra, for a fraction of the cost."

Also, darkwood has hardness 5 and 10 hp/inch of thickness. These are the same material stats as normal wood (see the "Substance Hardness and Hit Points" table here), so it actually doesn't provide any benefit against sundering, either.

Darkwood is a cool material from a narrative point of view; but mechanically, it's really only worthwhile on shields, or in situations where encumbrance is important (mission GMs at RFT don't tend to emphasize encumbrance a lot, though).