OOC Chat & Questions

Pittance

Hello! Wanted to run a potential character detail by you before I commit to it: my character is from Lamordia, and I'm cross-referencing Van Richten's Guide to help flesh out her backstory. One of the recommended questions for characters from Lamordia is How has the land scarred you? Have you suffered from frostbite in the wilderness? Do chemical or radiation burns scar your body? Did you sell a body part for coin? Did someone steal an organ from you while you slept?

I really like the idea of my character having sold one or both of her hands in order to finance her studies, and that she's replaced her hand(s) with mechanically-crafted prosthetic(s), generally hidden by gloves. I'm picturing this as an aesthetic choice rather than a mechanical one, but wanted to check with you first before incorporating it.

Thanks!

Edited by Vasaria (see edit history)

@Pittance
I took the liberty of using the Tiefling (winged) variant which is a Forgotten realms sourcebook. Sword Coast Adventure Guide.
I didn't realize that the source wasn't actually on the list though. Is that going to be a problem?
In place of the
Infernal Legacy.

You know the thaumaturgy cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the hellish rebuke spell as a 2nd-level spell with this trait; you regain the ability to cast it when you finish a long rest. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the darkness spell once per day with this trait; you regain the ability to cast it when you finish a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

I instead get
Winged.

You have bat-like wings sprouting from your shoulder blades. You have a flying speed of 30 feet while you aren't wearing heavy armor.

Also, the posting template is it ok if I modify it so it's more condensed, it literally takes up an entire page for 1 single post. Unless you need it large for easier viewing on a mobile device, it's just well.. clunky. I can still provide the needed information in a much smaller format and add the second fieldset for the actions as needed.

Gadreel Malpas

b4156fa23a4d387b27c17ac219203ed7.jpg.c1b1ecc72b14fe0158f378452fd85007.jpg

AC: 13 (tbd)| HP: 10/10(1d8+2) | Speed: 30', Fly 30' | Senses: Passive Perception: +11, Insight: +1 Investigation: +3
Str: 13 (+1) | Dex: 16 (+3) |Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 13 (+1) | Wis: 13 (+1) | Cha: 18 (+4)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Infernal

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

I'm roughing out some ideas. Regarding the zombie legions who come from the mists, what happens to people who die within Falkovnia? Is there the traditional zombie tropes of someone who dies rising as a zombie, possibly after being bit? Or are the undead seemingly a mindless horde of monsters?

Edit: I ran with a different idea, so you're welcome to answer if you wish but no pressure if you'd rather leave this mysterious. :)

Edited by Little_Rudo (see edit history)

How do you plan on handling Mounted Combat in regards to reach and such, as per these methods? I'm not entirely sure if that would fall under rule of cool or not.

[Edit] Also, on a different note, which factions are being asked about in the character applications? Is it actually referring to Waterdeep?

[2nd edit] This is the last one, I swear. Would you be okay with my taking the Knight background and its Retainers feature, since I understand this is going to be a very nitty-gritty campaign?

Edited by Cloudy Summers (see edit history)

On 8/21/2023 at 3:19 AM, Neopopulas said:

I thought you could too but i can't get it to edit, maybe i'm just clicking the wrong thing.

Edit: Ah-huh! If you click the edit button on the bottom of the post, you can, if you use the three dots and click edit, you can't. ALSO the page is a different size there. I was wondering why sometimes you get the moderator options on the right (which squishes the page) and sometimes you don't.

Solved!

Instead I have another question. Do guns count as Martial weapons or are they unique weapons? Mostly i'm trying to see how i'd go about starting with guns. All the equipment that Fighters start with is worth about 110gp after you sell it all for half and a single pistol costs 150gp. If they count then i can start with two, if they don't then i have to buy them.

Thank you for sharing your discovery in the edit, I just learned something new! :)

I have a silly question. If I'm chosen to play, would you be open to me leveraging my brewer's supplies in a helpful way? She's a novice brewer. It's an element I haven't explored yet in my gameplay. Specifically, I'm thinking this: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5bd88db093a6320f071b1a50/t/64930c1803d42e3837fac29b/1687358496174/BrewersSupplies_ToolCraft_v1-2.pdf

Edited by jrsey (see edit history)

One further question. For better or worse, my character was raised in Falkovnia, and may or may not be a true native. I'm guessing from the Overview the characters that it's expected we would be people coming in from abroad. Is there anything I should try to do, or avoid, to make sure my characters can meet up with the party? Or just figure that out once we've been accepted?

Privet is a bit of an oddball outsider even among her folk, so I don't expect her to have a huge advantage via being a local.

It looks like you can be from here. My guess is we all meet up in the Wightwatcher Inn (in the RP thread). My proposed character has been here for 2 years, so I wrote it like I'd visited the inn before. ☺️

30 minutes ago, Little_Rudo said:

One further question. For better or worse, my character was raised in Falkovnia, and may or may not be a true native. I'm guessing from the Overview the characters that it's expected we would be people coming in from abroad. Is there anything I should try to do, or avoid, to make sure my characters can meet up with the party? Or just figure that out once we've been accepted?

Privet is a bit of an oddball outsider even among her folk, so I don't expect her to have a huge advantage via being a local.

Edited by jrsey (see edit history)

Would Strixhaven feats be allowed? If so, would Strixhaven backgrounds also be allowed? (The backgrounds grant a free Strixhaven feat, which I think is kind of cheesy. However, my rolls sucked so I wouldn't mind closing the gap with the other apps if it's on the table.)

1 hour ago, Dr Jackal said:

Would Strixhaven feats be allowed? If so, would Strixhaven backgrounds also be allowed? (The backgrounds grant a free Strixhaven feat, which I think is kind of cheesy. However, my rolls sucked so I wouldn't mind closing the gap with the other apps if it's on the table.)

It's not on the allowed sources, and it's also magic the gathering setting, not forgotten realms. That's why I asked if my variant tiefling is ok, since it's from a Forgotten realms source. Sword Coast.

I doubt it'd be allowed since its not on the allowed list. They are good backgrounds to take for those of us who rolled... poorly. But i don't think they are.

I'm using a smaller posting template, just because otherwise its a little too large on my screen, it still should have everything needed in there though, let me know if its a problem

Ravenloft gathers people from other planes than FR. The feat could be also refluffed into something that is not MtG. Or both. Which is why I thought it would be worth asking, and why I'd like to hear what Pittance will say.