OOC Chat & Questions

Pittance

I kinda like it, actually. I'm getting an opportunity to learn more about who Tysh is in the sandbox - who she's drawn to, how she interacts, how she evaluates, etc. It's nice to practice playing a character without the pressure of consequence (maybe 😉).

Will be be using the variant rulling for encumbrance? I'm asking because I wanted to fill up the dry information in my character sheet first, and noticed that with the armor and then then weigh in everything that comes with the starting pack the character will get at level 1, he'll already be above the encumbrance limit 😵

I like these "unregulated, loose RP threads" as a way to find our character's voices before a game begins, heaven knows I need some time writing as a character to get into their head. I just get worried when they're a part of the game application process, since a) this type of interaction (a dialogue between PCs with minimal NPC or world interaction) is a very small part of how typical games go, so it's not a great barometer of how well a PC or PCs will work in the proper game, and b) the fact that they're dialogue-heavy mean they really strongly favor those who can post and respond a lot. Glad to have the option to participate, I'd just hate to lose out on being a game because of them when I don't think they're a great selection criteria.

Don't get me wrong, i love unstructured RP, it reminds me of my childhood playing free form RP on IRC - showing my age now i guess - but when you have a bunch of Main Characters - which is what PCs are - just thrown in together, it can always make the introductions .. awkward?

At least I always feel awkward trying to get my character introduced to strangers that have no connection, which sort of seems silly because thats a Real Life problem not an RP problem. In game i'm an awesome half-elf gunslinger from fantasy transalvania, Amelia doesn't let anyone make her feel awkward lol.

There are a lot of really interesting characters too, i like the mix of origins - i've never played Ravenloft before so i was always unsure how it would work when everyone can just be from .. well completely different universes, more or less - but it feels really good so far.

5 hours ago, Little_Rudo said:

I just get worried when they're a part of the game application process, since a) this type of interaction (a dialogue between PCs with minimal NPC or world interaction) is a very small part of how typical games go, so it's not a great barometer of how well a PC or PCs will work in the proper game, and b) the fact that they're dialogue-heavy mean they really strongly favor those who can post and respond a lot. Glad to have the option to participate, I'd just hate to lose out on being a game because of them when I don't think they're a great selection criteria.

I'm not sure if its part of the application process but i know how you feel. I'm in Australia, so i'm opposite for most people and it wouldn't be the first game that i had to bow out of because the threads would run away overnight, this often happened in quite large party games so you'd have six or so people chatting it up and by the time i'm posting no one else is so i just get one post in and then the next day its another whole page. You're right too that this isn't typical of a normal game because you don't get weeks to just do dialogue RP - though in the games i run i try and have side stories for like, the camp nights or taven stays and i let people RP in there even after we move on - so you could camp on night three, and spend a real-time week RPing that camp night, while the main story thread has progressed to the next day and people are moving ahead with the plot - that way you can have downtime RP without stalling the plot itself, that seems to help a lot.

38 minutes ago, Neopopulas said:

Don't get me wrong, i love unstructured RP, it reminds me of my childhood playing free form RP on IRC - showing my age now i guess

I'm a bit younger but only a bit. I got into D&D via Play by Post - started with an EZBoard Digimon RPG in my youth, which turned into an invite to someone's high fantasy EZBoard game when the LotR movies were coming out and making that big. I distinctly remember, as someone who didn't grow up a fan of fantasy, being confused why elves were so popular... because I could only picture the Santa's and Kiebler varieties.

Oh, little Little_Rudo, how far we've come...

1 hour ago, Rejakor said:

yeah you can catch americans in the morning (their evening the previous day) sometimes, but generally you're limited to 1/day due to timing mismatch

I work at my computer and i work really late, i'm usually around till like 10-11pm my time, but thats still mid-morning for most americans which means they are at work. Also my monday is most peoples sunday so you don't see a lot of posts then either. Usually its fine but really fast-moving games can be tricky to stay hooked into

The purpose of the Pre-Game RP thread is, primarily, for me to get an idea of your literary/posting style, and to see who meshes well from a player and character perspective. It's not really about "cliquing" up before the game by any means — though sometimes that happens — and, instead, shows me how certain players (characters) will interact with a scene, and those in it, in a way that makes sense for them on a conceptual level.

Talky characters will talk more. Broody characters will brood more. As long as you're showing us what you've got, and making the best of it (ie, trying to have fun), then it's all good to me. I see it more as an opportunity to show a GM/DM what you bring to the table RP-wise, not just character-wise. Some people like playing with a scene, others enjoy detailing NPCs, or starting up side-scenes/scenarios, etcetera. There's really no correct answer.

TL;DR, it's not about who talks the most, haha. For me, it's more about who I think will vibe best with the game, myself, and others.

On 8/25/2023 at 9:48 AM, Kail_Traeganni said:

Since it came up in the pre-game RP: do you have a rough timeline in mind for the downfall of Falkovnia?

How long ago did the General arrive? How long was the warring period between her and the now-extinguished local nobility? When did the zombie apocalypse start?

If these should generally be History checks for PCs, that's alright, though these feel momentous enough that anybody who lived through them would have a rough sense.

Ardir's background is written without a clear arrival point for the general, but does rely on a 'the zombies started ~ 6 months ago and everything is rapidly falling apart' timeline, where the campaign starts soon after the rumors of Silbervas' fall reach and drive him into the madness of berserker rage. If you want Silbervas to have fallen years ago, this can certainly be revised!

I can also remove Tysh's question from my post if it creates too much reworking or explanation. I just thought it was an interesting and unexpected plot twist: "Dad went out for cigarettes and never came back," Faerûn-style. 🙃

11 hours ago, Pittance said:

The purpose of the Pre-Game RP thread is, primarily, for me to get an idea of your literary/posting style, and to see who meshes well from a player and character perspective. It's not really about "cliquing" up before the game by any means — though sometimes that happens — and, instead, shows me how certain players (characters) will interact with a scene, and those in it, in a way that makes sense for them on a conceptual level.

Talky characters will talk more. Broody characters will brood more. As long as you're showing us what you've got, and making the best of it (ie, trying to have fun), then it's all good to me. I see it more as an opportunity to show a GM/DM what you bring to the table RP-wise, not just character-wise. Some people like playing with a scene, others enjoy detailing NPCs, or starting up side-scenes/scenarios, etcetera. There's really no correct answer.

TL;DR, it's not about who talks the most, haha. For me, it's more about who I think will vibe best with the game, myself, and others.

Its also a good way to keep people engaged because i think the close date is like, 30th September? Good to keep people involved and interested that way.

6 hours ago, Neopopulas said:

Its also a good way to keep people engaged because i think the close date is like, 30th September? Good to keep people involved and interested that way.

It was August 26 earlier last week. I hadn't been updating the RP thread lately because I thought it was player selection. @Pittance can you confirm the date to select players has been moved to September 30?

16 minutes ago, Shadeus said:

It was August 26 earlier last week. I hadn't been updating the RP thread lately because I thought it was player selection. @Pittance can you confirm the date to select players has been moved to September 30?

Unless I or someone else misspoke, which happens from time to time, the deadline has always been September 30th, as listed by the advertisement.