OOC Chat & Questions

Pittance

On 4/3/2024 at 8:17 PM, BlackPhoenix said:

I'm generally not a fan of 1st level characters. They can't do much, and, in this case, the abilities they pick up upon selecting a subclass is, mechanically, totally unrelated to what had come before.

This, this right here. I have played D&D since TSR 2e AD&D. I have so many level 1 characters I could wallpaper my house with them. In 3.5 its a bit easier to be lvl 1 as you can have (with a few flaws and such) a really decent sorcerer build for example (6d6 damage spell!). But I know so little about 5e I admit I am at a loss. Most of the interesting bits seem locked behind 3rd level and onward.

Not trying to put down on this game or its choice to be level 1, just that its not my favorite thing. Hopefully we will have some exp and role play opportunities once we reach a town!

13 hours ago, FelixFaust said:

This, this right here. I have played D&D since TSR 2e AD&D. I have so many level 1 characters I could wallpaper my house with them. In 3.5 its a bit easier to be lvl 1 as you can have (with a few flaws and such) a really decent sorcerer build for example (6d6 damage spell!). But I know so little about 5e I admit I am at a loss. Most of the interesting bits seem locked behind 3rd level and onward.

Not trying to put down on this game or its choice to be level 1, just that its not my favorite thing. Hopefully we will have some exp and role play opportunities once we reach a town!

I've become to see levels 1 to 3 as tutorial for the game! :)

I started on TSR's D&D (the red box), then moved to 2E AD&D. Then I became an adult and moved for work, so I unwillingly skipped 3e, 3.5e, and 4e - although I did play Star Wars d20 revised and Star Wars Saga, which I think is based on 3.5. When I thought about introducing my kids to D&D, it was 5e. While 5e is not perfect, I think it is still the edition that I prefer - to me, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

@Anthr4xus, how about setting a date for both groups to move on? Maybe next Tuesday, as it would leave an entire week from my initial post for the rest of the players to manifest themselves?

For PbP i usually hope for the game to start at least level 3 - so everyone has a subclass - or around level 5 because thats sort of the beginning of the 5-12 level bracket which is the most common and well stacked levels for the game. Since PbP is kinda slow.

On 4/3/2024 at 4:35 PM, BlackPhoenix said:

Thanks to Neopopulas, astronavigatrix and FelixFaust for replying. And a major thanks to Anthr4xus for rescuing a game started by someone else.

It's possible that the other players haven't yet read those posts due to the chocolate-egg laying bunny holiday, but for everyone one else, please at least let us know (either here or in a PM to Anthr4xus) if you're no longer interested in this game.

Assuming there's still only 4 players left, I'm still interested in continuing.

• Setare: rogue, Soulknife
  • Amelia: fighter (ranged), ???
  • Kain: fighter (melee), Eldritch Knight
  • Karlov: cleric, Grave
  • Falken: fighter (ranged), Eldritch Knight

That does make us a bit weak in the magic department. If that's acceptable, I'd be willing to remake Falken into a Ranger to diversify the eventual spell list - I've been thinking lately that the Ranger class would actually fit better how I've been playing him. If that's not acceptable, it's fine - I'll have to decide if I'm still going for Eldritch Knight, or maybe multiclass into Ranger? In any case, I'm all for fast-forwarding both groups to Silbervas.

@FelixFaust in group 1, I've inadvertently made Falken the "leader", even though I (the player) have no knowledge of the setting. I'm hoping Anthr4xus has something planned to push us beyond that, because I have no clue what to do next! :) I've always been under the impression that people don't like having a group leader, but I can see your point.

I had considered having Set multiclass into a stars druid for a little bit more HP/utility, and while it's not as big as something like sorcerer or wizard, I feel it could be at least a little useful but that won't be for... several  levels so in the interim we are a little lacking.

Yeah, 3 is where most classes get their subclass and have their unique gimmicks & flavour. I also find it means combat is slightly less swingy, at level one a good or bad roll of the dice can be the difference between life or death, at higher levels it takes more attacks meaning things can level out a bit better, instead of a single crit being accidentally lethal

@FelixFaust well, Kain appears to be our main frontliner at this time, so changing him would be changing one deficiency for another.

Thanks @Passione, I've added Haakon to the list, which does fill our weak spot. As stated above, the only thing that needs to change is the posting rate! :)

Well, it sounds like pretty much everyone we have left has posted something here. I think I will wait until next Tuesday (4/9) to see if anyone else voices being here, and then I'm thinking a small time jump with a level bump to 2 for everyone. This time jump would move everyone to Silbervas and lose a couple of days until the full moon.

4 hours ago, BlackPhoenix said:

Kain appears to be our main frontliner at this time, so changing him would be changing one deficiency for another.

I will remain Kain then, hopefully fullplate and a tower shield is in my future! Just imagine Kain as a proper tank!

Thanks @zaffo

Updated list:

• Setare: rogue, Soulknife
  • Amelia: fighter (ranged), Gunslinger
  • Kain: fighter (melee), Eldritch Knight
  • Karlov: cleric, Grave
  • Haakon: Wizard, Abjuration
  • Harin: Bard, College of Lore
  • Falken: fighter (ranged), Eldritch Knight