Pre-Game RP Thread: The Wightwatcher Inn

Pittance

Set2b.png.da67eaf0f5550420e1cb53f691467d5a.png Setare Orfini

Charlatan Drow Rogue

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 9/9 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 12, Insight 12, Investigation 10
Str: 9 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 13 (+1) | Int: 11 (+0) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 15 (+2)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, and Celestial

“My words,” Set says. | ‘My thoughts,’ Set thinks. | My actions . . .

My, my, but the bar is certainly busy this evening.

Slinking in from the stairs, a tall, lean figure clad in black makes itself comfortable at the corner of the bar. It doesn't take long to note how many seem to be new arrivals- whether to Falkovia itself, or simply to the inn. A slender, spindly hand lifts, dark nails glinting faintly, and beckons the bartender for his usual. A glass of wine- and the accompanying bottle- are set next to him before the bartender resumes pouring ale for the only other person remaining at the bar- another small, slight figure, though whether a child or not, he can't quite tell. And so Setare is considering finding out, only the most terrifying fascinating-looking woman sweeps in, and his attention switches to her immediately.

(Better to find out what sort she is before anything else. The cleric, at least, seems kind enough, but... assumptions and all.)

"The deal with Falkovia," drawls the pale man from his corner, leaning his chin against one palm while the other swirls his wine, "is that it's an absolute horror story of a place, good madam. 'What is dead may never die'- things come out of the mist, already dead but still shambling along. Looking, I assume, for more bodies to add to their number. Just in case, I suppose, they find themselves losing a few." His smile is sweet, then, lax as he sinks against the bar, eyes skimming over the collected assortment of souls now present. Taking a long draught of his wine, he gestures around the glass with a spidery finger, indicating their surrounds.

"So may as well enjoy the calm you'll find here, until it eventually comes roiling up again and bringing all hell with it."

OOC

OOC

Movement: —

Action: —

Bonus Action: —

Reaction: —

I don’t always have OOC content to post, but if I did, it would go here, below the Movement, Action, Bonus Action, and Reaction (which will always be there). Those need to contain the mechanical explanation of your otherwise natural language post.

Edited by astronavigatrix (see edit history)

edwin.png.9e7aa006584a2cff53e8d5686b6462ba.png

Edwin Carver

Human Noble, Paladin

AC: 18 (Chainmail + Shield) | HP: 13/13 (1d10+3) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Passive Perception 13, Insight 13, Investigation 9

Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 10 (+0) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 9 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 16 (+3)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, and Dwarfish

A sturdy, well-dressed man walks down the stairs in a silken shirt and a well-made pair of pants. His boots are a bit dusty and he wears a weary expression. Looking around the drinking establishment, he's a bit surprised to see several new faces, many of which are not human which is unusual even in this hellish land. He nods toward the bugbear bartender, waving to him and saying cheerfully, "Evening, Kazzador. Whatever you have that's cold is good enough for me, good sir!"

Despite his dour mannerisms, he puts a smile on his face nods to the newcomers to the basement. Looking to the leather-clad gunslinger, he responds saying, "I've only been here for a few months so FAAAR from an expert. But Falkovnia is a special brand of fun where it has a fun population of zombies. Isn't that fun?"

He flashes a winning smile, but it still seems a bit forced. He does seem genuinely glad to see new faces though.

image.png.3e736a48b8ce854d4a5f32a89944b99b.png Tysh Mountainheart

Hill Dwarf Acolyte Twilight Cleric

AC: 18 (Heavy Armor & Shield) | HP: 12/12 (1d8+3+1) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 15, Investigation 11
Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 11 (+0) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, and Celestial

Overhearing the conversation between the gunslinger, rogue, and paladin, Tysh places a reassuring hand on Maria's shoulder.

'Something about all of this doesn't feel right,' she thinks to herself.

She squeezes gently.

"Do not pay them any mind," she mumbles to Maria.

"Rak'i'th," she says, turning to the Githyanki, "can you please stay here for a moment? I see an old friend I'd like to catch up with."

She offers a tight smile to Maria and Rak'i'th, then returns to Kazzador. She motions for another drink as she continues to listen to the conversation between the three newcomers. Kazzador silently slides her a glass of water garnished with lime and mint: a convincing replacement for an alcoholic drink. She thanks him with a nod.

Tysh walks over to the Shadar-Kai's table. He and his fellow gamblers are winding down a tense hand. She watches it play out from a few paces away, noting his cards and those of an opponent. When the game ends, she approaches him.

"May I speak with you?" she asks softly. Her eyes scan the table, then land firmly on his sorrowful eyes. Something stirs within her, but she ignores it. Tysh allows him to see a small measure of her uneasiness, hoping her vulnerability comes across as a convincing, albeit silent, plea for his help. "In private?"

Edited by jrsey (see edit history)

Ardir Hálilúëa

image.png.00ffdb530d7a4f60225ff08830bbc741.png

Humble Farrier, Shadar-Kai Barbarian

AC: 15 (AC Bonus) | HP: 15/15 (1d12+3) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 13, Investigation 10
Str: 18 (+4) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Elvish

Ardir feels a pang of loneliness and sorrow pierce his heart.

No one has spoken to me with such softness since I took up this maul. Her voice reminds me -

After clenching his cup, he masters himself enough to reply. "Sure."

"I'll take your money later!" He ribs his fellow gamblers with a too-broad smile.

As he stands and turns to follow her, Ardir remembers her as the dwarf comforting that distressed young one earlier. "Lead on."

I'm not a hired tough, and I'll eat my sandals if she just needs to reshoe her horse. What in the Nine Hells does a decent woman want me for?

Edited by Kail_Traeganni (see edit history)

Maria Fireheart

9 year old child wizard and sage, Fugitive red wizard in training

AC: 10 (No armor) | HP: 7/7 (1d6+1) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 15, Insight 15, Investigation 16
Str: 11 (+0) | Dex: 11 (+0) | Con: 12 (+1) | Int: 19 (+4) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 13 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, and Elvish

Nodding to Tysh she decides to open her backpack again. After a moment of thought she pulls out her medium sized leather bound book again with the engraving of a teddy bear and begins flipping through the pages. She is lost in thought as she concentrates on what she is reading. The girl is about to put her backpack on the table in front of her but notices that it is a little dirty. So she waves her hand over the table and suddenly it seems to clean itself. Then she puts her backpack on the table before rummaging through it to find a quill and a bottle of ink.

Edited by SerakHawk
Image Removed (see edit history)

spacer.png
Name: Ameila Grey | Class: Fighter | Level: 1 | AC: 16 | HP: 12 | Prof: +2
Saves: Str +4, Dex +4, Con +4, Int -1, Wis +2, Cha -2

Fighting Style, Second Wind
Attacks: Pistols, Rapier
Passive: Perception - 14 | Investigation - 10 | Insight - 14
Languages, Darkvision, Fey Ancestry

"Sounds familiar" she makes her way tot he bar, the assorted people were curious but.. she had seen worse.. "And what sort of undead is that? I'm familiar with my fair share.. It would have been nice to .. not see any more but.. what can you do.." She takes her hat and sets it on the bar, running her gloved fingers through her white hair "But it doesn't seem like there are any here, so thats a plus i suppose..."

Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 11 (+0) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, and Celestial

Tysh leads the Shadar-Kai up the stairs to the topmost level of the bar. She stops near the far corner and places a calloused hand on the railing. After a quick glance to ensure they're out of earshot, she raises her eyes to meet his. She notes that they're glassy from drink. Still, a strong sense of gravitas radiates from him.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your game. My name is Tysh. Thank you for taking a moment to speak with me." She pauses to consider her words. "I don't know if you've been here before. I haven't seen you, at least. I'll tell you, though, I don't remember this bar ever being so busy." She turns her gaze to the patrons below and licks her lips, her top teeth biting her bottom lip for a moment.

"I don't believe in coincidences, especially here in Falkovnia. Something is happening, but I'm not sure what..." She trails off as she sees the last weak sunbeam fade out from the windows. Outside, the Mist is roiling, but has not moved.

'Get on with it already, Tysh.'

"I'm sorry, I'm rambling. Let me get to the point: if I'm right and something is brewing, we're going to need you. You seem a capable man," she says, plucking the shard of undead bone from his sleeve. She inspects it briefly, then dips it in her drink and swirls it around. The water steadily turns a murky green-brown. She removes the somewhat clean bone from the water, shakes off the excess moisture, and slips the shard into her pack. Tysh lightly places her hand on his arm. As her thumb passes over the tear in his sleeve, it disappears as if it were never there. She pulls her hand away slowly.

"I'm not as sure of others," she whispers, eyes moving to rest on the paladin. "Cavalier attitudes get people killed. There's too much at risk here. We have children in this bar tonight, friend." She indicates Maria and the slender, wide-eyed figure sitting at the bar. Once again, she raises her gaze to meet his eyes. Her emerald green eyes are hard, determined. But the slight scrunch of her eyebrows and the tight set of her jaw betray her feelings: she is nervous.

"I'd offer you a water, but," she cuts herself off and smiles wanly, lifting her tainted drink. Her smile fades. "Can I count on you to be ready, should anything happen?"

Ardir Hálilúëa

image.png.00ffdb530d7a4f60225ff08830bbc741.png

Str: 18 (+4) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 10 (+0)

Ardir stands further back from the railing, leaning down to rest his elbows is a deeper bow for him. As Tysh cleans him up and holds his gaze, he may as well be stone. He finds his mouth dry, the casual closeness strange after these past months of fear, suspicion, violence and distance. He doesn't know her, but... how could he not fight for her, now?

He speaks carefully, as if afraid of slurring his words, or afraid of her, or afraid of how dear her gestures are to him. "I am Ardir, and I see no reason for you to call me friend. Yet... yes, be it that the calm shatters, I'll stand twixt danger and you."

Her hand is still on his arm. The nearness, the whisper, the readiness to trust, it is too much and not enough, too sweet for the bitterness he bears. A reminder of what he's lost, and had given up on experiencing again. Fears cloud his mind as he holds her gaze.

You should push her away. You're dangerous. This is dangerous. If you let yourself care about her, what then, when she dies tomorrow? Or when you...

Yet, the warmth of drink makes for loose tongues, unspoken questions finding voice. His voice is quiet, uncertain, halting. "Thank you for cleaning me up... why? Why call me friend, Tysh?"

edwin.png.9e7aa006584a2cff53e8d5686b6462ba.png

Edwin Carver

Human Noble, Paladin

AC: 18 (Chainmail + Shield) | HP: 13/13 (1d10+3) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Passive Perception 13, Insight 13, Investigation 9

Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 10 (+0) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 9 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 16 (+3)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, and Dwarfish

Accepting the beverage from the bugbear bartender, he looks to the woman next to him with rough leathers and dusty hat she placed on the bar top. He answers, "Well, like I said...not much an expert on these lands, but the rumor goes that hoooordes of zombies roam this land. I have yet to see these...miscreants, but it seems to be a common topic of conversation since I heroically arrived in this desolate land."

He smiles to the woman and says, "Edwin Carver, of House Carver from Elturel. It is a distinct pleasure to meet your acquaintance. Interesting choice of weapons you have there. I can't say I've seen the like. Where ever did you get them!"

The handsome warrior peers curiously at her firearms, but is careful not to touch them. Then, suddenly his head whips around when he catches the shapeshifter girl in the corner cleaning the table with some kind of enchantment. He blinks in surprise and asks Amelia, "Did she just- Did you see that? It wasn't just me imagining it?" He leans in closer and whispers, "Perhaps there is undead here tonight..." He nods his head over at the small childish figure.

Tysh watches Ardir closely, seeing a series of emotions flash over his countenance in a matter of seconds. She's overstepped; she knows she has. But that promise to help her, the way he phrased it...was she overthinking this? Instinctively, she reaches out and lays her hand over one of his. Then, almost as an afterthought, she withdraws her hand and places it on the railing. Is she blushing? Her cheeks feel hot. Hopefully he can't see it; she does have sienna skin, after all. And besides, he's been drinking.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. I guess...I guess I just see something in you. I don't know." She forces a smile. "Don't think I didn't notice your glances towards Maria," she quips halfheartedly. Her smile fades; her eyes seem distant.

"There is so much pain here, Ardir," she whispers, voice cracking slightly. "I don't want Maria to experience that. It seems like she's been through enough already. And the other child...I haven't met them yet, but..."

Her throat tightens; she swallows hard. They stand in silence for a few moments, watching the other patrons below. Tysh clears her throat.

"Thank you for your promise to help," she says, straightening her cloak. She raises her eyes to his. They're moist, but she has regained control of her emotions.

"I hope you don't think me too forward and forgive me for calling you 'friend.' I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. I will earn that title, though, if you'll let me."

She offers him a small smile.

Ardir Hálilúëa

Ardir-custom-token.png.7c3516d70458ff8653c9a1bb6a92165c.png

Ardir's lip twitch into a smile of his own, and he claps a hand on Tysh's shoulder. "Friendship is given, not earned- and it seems we're on terms for gifts. Thank you, friend, for the gift of vision. Sometimes we need another's eyes to examine ourselves."

Better to feel bitterness and warmth. Better than the empty.

Solemnity grows in him. "You speak of the pain here. My people came to Falkovnia seventy-and-three years ago. It wasn't always like this- hard living, aye, but people lived, and life could have goodness. Now... no corner of this land is good for a child. Nor's there a corner good for anyone, anyone at all. Misery is law, and Death is king. We can block an angry drunk or two, but the pain of this world will reach them, and reach us. Perhaps we can keep them alive until they get out, but any exit is at the mercy of the Mists."

Ardir puts his hand back on the railing, and looks out over the tavern, an oasis of levity and ease that may as well be another plane of existence from Falkovnia.

"This land will rob you of everything you care for. Know that. Know it in your blood and bones. What it means to be here, and care... is to mourn."

Rak'i'th

image.png.905aacae2253918a7ab82c2a1e6dcec3.png

Githyanki Soldier, Hexblade Warlock

AC: 16 (Scalemail) | HP: 10/10 (1d8+2) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 11
Str: 10 (+0) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 13 (+1) | Wis: 13 (+1) | Cha: 16 (+3)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Undercommon

Rak'i'th watches the young girl engrossed in her book, a mixture of curiosity and amusement in his eyes. As the words of the tl'a'ikith resonate within him, he leans slightly closer, his voice carrying a tone that is both gentle and inquisitive. "A captivating book you've found, young one," he remarks, acknowledging her focus on the pages before her. "Is it a story from your world, from Sembia?"

He lets the question linger, his intent not to disrupt her concentration but to engage her in a conversation, to gauge the nature of the narrative that has captured her attention. His words are laced with a genuine interest, an attempt to bridge the gap between their worlds, even if momentarily, within the confines of the inn's mysterious walls.

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

spacer.png
Name: Ameila Grey | Class: Fighter | Level: 1 | AC: 16 | HP: 12 | Prof: +2
Saves: Str +4, Dex +4, Con +4, Int -1, Wis +2, Cha -2

Fighting Style, Second Wind
Attacks: Pistols, Rapier
Passive: Perception - 14 | Investigation - 10 | Insight - 14
Languages, Darkvision, Fey Ancestry

"I'm used to a very different kind of undead.." She reaches down and flicks the hammer on one of the guns "I do a little tinkering from time to time.. But back in my homeland of Barovia, the undead we have to deal with are slightly.. different than the ones i hear of around here.."

A look from the corner of her eye is all she gives to the crowd, then back "I suppose you should expect.. all sorts around here.."

"My name is Lady Amelia Grey.. But i doubt that matters much now, i have a feeling i am very far from home."

Tysh smiles radiantly when Ardir puts his hand on her shoulder and thanks her for the unintended gift. As his demeanor returns to the solemnity she saw before, her smile disappears. She listens intently to what is said and unsaid. By the time he removes his hand from her shoulder, she can feel the weight of his grief in her soul. She places her tainted drink on a table behind her and rejoins Ardir at the railing. The bar buzzes with low conversation. She watches the guests interact, only half paying attention to them.

"Yes, to care is to mourn. That is true everywhere, but death is usually balanced with life. There is definitely more mourning here than other places. Still, I choose to care."

Tysh places her hand atop one of Ardir's. Her hand is warm. Her eyes meet his. "I am truly sorry for what happened to you and the losses you've endured."

She removes her hand from his and motions to the patrons below. "Whether they fight for themselves or for others, they fight for life. In a strange way, it's like the Mysts add new life to this damned land by transporting people to Falkovnia. Darkness cannot exist without light; there is no death without life. We can be the light that drives back the darkness and restores some balance here. I truly believe that."

Something Ardir said echoes in her mind. Her eyebrows knit together. "Wait, Ardir  - you said that this land wasn't like this seventy-three years ago."

'If things were normal before, how did Da get here?' she wonders. She winds a piece of her thick black hair around her finger and releases it repeatedly. A chill races down her spine as the thought strikes her: 'Did he leave us on purpose?'

She leans against the railing, still playing with her hair. "When I was fourteen, my father disappeared. One of his party told me that a strange mist had swallowed him. That was over a century ago. It took eighty-eight years of searching before the Mists took me here and I found him in Lekar. Were the Mists still here, just not as widespread?"

index.png.4404d2196fac6dbc5b430c6820f5ac3c.png

Marleybone Drisk

Falkovnia? Was that what this place was called? The short figure at the bar wasn't looking around (too obviously) but was definitely keeping her ears alert. Wasn't a name she had heard before. But.. she didn't really know much about the surrounding lands.

The people here seemed possessed of a great energy. It was very different to the village and the surrounds. For all this land seemed bleak and dour, the people here were brimming with life. Well, the people in this basement. The others running the inn seemed more familiar, secretive and knowing of things they refused to tell. The teenage runaway wiped her hands on the insides of her coat. Either way, there was a fire burning and light and somewhere to sit. The free and mandatory drink was suspicious and there was zero chance she'd be drinking it, but somewhere out of the rain was mountainsent even if the proprietors planned to murder everyone here.

From inside the pack that was placed on the next stool over, a tiny furred paw reached out and grabbed a nut from a selection of free pistachios. From the pack came surreptitious sounds of nut-cracking. After a suitable interval, this action was repeated, just as quickly and stealthily as the first.

Finally, she decided. Standing up and leaving the pack next to the nuts, she crossed the room. A small, bumbling figure wrapped in a huge scarf and wet coat, occasionally bumping off tables. Eventually she arrived. Across from the little kid who was clearly out of place here, more than even she was. Without asking, she plopped down in the seat opposite, across the table. Pulling the scarf back revealed thick and messy red hair that fell down over a pair of eyes that seemed to both be guileless and see a lot more than they should do, and that the figure wasn't a halfling or the like - just a shortass and skinny teenager.

"Hey." There was a pause after the hey. More words were coming but forming them took a moment and that led to an awkward gap in the conversation. "You're smart, right?"