The Carlyle Papers

TiffanyKorta

I am not familiar with this Pronouncement thing, Leliel, could you give me a reference or an explanation (or both ^^), please ?

Thanks a lot !

5 hours ago, Thot said:

I am not familiar with this Pronouncement thing, Leliel, could you give me a reference or an explanation (or both ^^), please ?

Thanks a lot !

Divination Technique (Saints and Monsters). I call out an action, and create a pool of Enhancements that people can draw on to roll attempting that action. Since I rolled two successes on the spell, you can add up to two Enhancements before it runs out (technically, each individual draw can only draw up to three at once, but since I'm under the limit anyway, that's not an issue).

Was actually waiting for someone to make a successful roll in case I needed to cast another spell.

Basically, you spend successes on damage versus stunts, after Defense is subtracted from is; one success=one damage, but you can spend successes equal to the opponent's Stamina to knock him down, which is what I'm assuming you want. Since I created a spell pool to subdue him, you also have 2 Enhancements - bonus successes, so you actually have a pool of 6 successes to spend, before Defense is subtracted. You can also Empty the Clip, sacrificing the rest of your ammo for 1 more Enhancement.

Well, I also noticed that Pistol has a couple of typical tags: Concealable, Firearms, Lethal, Piercing, Ranged.

Firearms and Ranged gives +1 enhancement each, while piercing reduces armor. And I can give the Bleeding Out condition with Lethal.

So the complicated bit is figuring out his stamina so I know how much I need for knock him down. And I should get 4 (?) Enhancements (2 from the pistol and 2 from the spell) whoosh would give me 8 points to spend? Maybe?

I really need some actual gameplay experience as well, and I hope to get it through this game, now we're on a roll again :) In the meantime, please take all I say as "my current best understanding" and definitly not as anything I am sure of.

One thing though : 10 are rerolled. S:Origin P57. Also, usually, base difficulty is 8 I think, and not 7 (barring special modifiers, circumustances, etc).

My understanding of "Damage" is that you need to roll, count success (if you have any, you then add Enhancement), and it gives you a "Success Pool". You need to have enough Successes to buy off your target's Defense (which may be Stamina). You then spend remaining Successes (if any) to buy effects, Damage being one of them.

In our case, you have 8 Successes to spend (if Firearms and Ranged stack, I don't know), starting with buying off the Cultist's Defense and Armor (if any).

My reading of the damage is that if you overcome a success you deal a level of damage, regardless of the weapon. To cause an additional injury you need 4 successes to get the Critical Hit stunt, or at least that's what I can tell from the combat chapter. Either way, you only need a single wound to take the man out so all good either way.

Yeah, the whole reason I am going into some details is to get a better understanding. The thing that helped was the 1e v. 2e section.

"At the Origin and Hero levels, only 8, 9, and 10 on the die counts as a success, but when you get to Demigod, 7s count as successes again. Further, a 10 doesn’t just count twice — you have to reroll and see if you get another success (but another 10 means another reroll!). Failure and botches are the same."

So I was still using the 1e version of 7+ successes. And to know how much damage I actually did, I would need to know the defenders defense/difficulty and subtract that from my success totals. Once I have that net total, I can decide on what stunts I want to add or to up the damage level.

@solyrflair Either Occult or Integrity, let's split the difference and say Integrity for the Indisputable analysis and Occult for the investigation roll itself.

@Thot Unless I missed something I don't see anything that will help you now, though Palace of Memory might be of future use with additional context.