The Stone Tooth

Chaz Hoosier

Daurant, Holy Warrior of Moradin

image.jpeg.20b6e759626b7ffc84d6cc51e1d96b3e.jpegDaurant frowns at Gerbimble and then the two hin. He shakes his head but then sighs.

"Tis against me better judgment, but if you insist you can find your way..."

Turning to the party, he hangs his axes on his wide belt.

"If the gnome speaks for ye, I'll not waste my breath arguing the point. There be work to be done here, dwarf halls to be cleared of desecrators and secured once more. Ya look like you could use me axes and the All-Father's blessings, he'd have it no other way, so I be your bulwark if you'll have me."

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action: 

Swift Action: 

Move Action:

Standard Action:

Skill Checks

Stat Block

Appearance: 4'2", 182 lbs., Daurant has the pale skin tone of his Mountain Dwarf ancestors and a well groomed, waist length beard of silvery hue that would not shame him in any dwarf hall. His eyes are a dark grey reminiscent of the stone that makes up his kin's home. Strands of mithral and gold are braided into his beard, giving it a glittering sheen.

[URL=/sheets/?id=2873079][B][SIZE=+1]Daurant, son of Durl, Blood of Durgeddin, of Glitterhame[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Male LG Mountain Dwarf Fighter/Paladin, [B]Level[/B] 1/2, [B]Init[/B] 1, [B]HP[/B] 28/28, [B]Speed[/B] 20 [B]AC[/B] 19, [B]Touch[/B] 11, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 18, [B]Fort[/B] 6, [B]Ref[/B] 3, [B]Will[/B] 2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 3 [B]Masterwork Waraxe, Dwarven [/B] +5 (1d10+2, x3) [B]Masterwork Waraxe, Dwarven [/B] +5 (1d10+1, x3) [B] Hammer, throwing (3) [/B] +3 (1d6+2, x2) [B] Full plate[/B] (+8 Armor, +1 Dex) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 14, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13 [B]Condition[/B] None
Daurant, son of Durl, Blood of Durgeddin, of Glitterhame
Male LG Mountain Dwarf Fighter/Paladin, Level 1/2, Init 1, HP 28/28, Speed 20
AC 19, Touch 11, Flat-footed 18, Fort 6, Ref 3, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus 3
Masterwork Waraxe, Dwarven +5 (1d10+2, x3)
Masterwork Waraxe, Dwarven +5 (1d10+1, x3)
Hammer, throwing (3) +3 (1d6+2, x2)
Full plate (+8 Armor, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13
Condition None

Edited by Sorithar (see edit history)

Brother Christo Vanleaf, Grey Elf Bard-Cleric

spacer.pngQUICK STATS:  AC=19+2, Touch=14, FF=17+2 / HP=19/19 / Init=2 / Saves: Fort=4, Reflex=5, Will = 6  _____________________________________________________________________________

When the pair of Halflings gather their meager goods and confirm that they can safely find their way home, Brother Vanleaf smiles and replies, "Well, you're going to need a few supplies so you can make good time and not have to stop to find food."

Opening his handy haversack, the Elven holy man reaches in and quickly pulls out exactly everything he wanted in the exact right order and much faster than seems possible or believable.

First, Christo pulls out a small sack and then quickly fills it with a variety of practical items, including nine candles, a piece of chalk, one small cooking can, and a single piece of strikable-size flint.

Next, Christo places some foodstuffs into the sack, including a few hard honey biscuits, two chunks of venison jerky, a handful of dried fruit and nuts, and a large pinch of tea leaves. "There, that'll help during your journey home."

Pulling out a medium-size steel dagger, the holy man says, "I realize it's not the perfect size, but if you don't have any weapons then this dagger will be better than nothing."

"Plus, it can also be used with the flint to strike a fire. Take it, if you need it." If the Halflings decline the offer of the dagger, then the minister will smile and place the common weapon back into to his haversack and wish them, "Good luck, and may the gods go with you!"

Show Mechanics

Move:  

Standard Action:  

Free Action: 

Swift Action:   

Move Action:   

Continuing Effects: Bardic Music - Protection Devotion from Gerbimble ( +2 sacred bonus to AC)

Edited by Terran (see edit history)

"Stick to the main roads if you can," offered Urd, unsmiling. Much like Daurant, she felt uneasy about leaving the villagers alone. "There are spiders in the woods."

Sugrin Velicent, Illusionist Extraordinaire

Sugrin.jpg.5950f0040afdf9f8128a135336bee017.jpgMale   Gnome   Illusionist 3  

Init 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 12, Touch 12, FF 11 | Fort 4, Ref 2, Will 4

Sugrin nods at Gerbimble's suggestion, taking a step closer to his shadowy cousin (clearly not skipping a beat in his flip-flopping), and pauses to listen to Daurant. Well, we'd be sure glad to have ya, he smiles brightly at the dwarf's offer, although I don't think the tuskers will approve. He lets out a hearty chuckle while eyeing those deadly axes.

Before they send the halflings off, Sugrin watches as his age-old friend produces a veritable full larder from his pack and prepares a sack for the two refugees; it was not something the gnome hadn't seen before, Christo being the charitable elf that he was. That should hold you over at least until you get to a town or settlement somewhere, he says to the halflings happily.

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action: Speak

Swift Action: 

Move Action:

Standard Action:

Skill Checks

Continuing Effects: 

Protection Devotion: +2 AC [sacred]

Edited by snugglepooh (see edit history)

image.jpeg.20b6e759626b7ffc84d6cc51e1d96b3e.jpegDaurant nods approvingly at the elf's actions, then shakes his head and grins at Sugrin's jest before turning to the party.

"I'll na be laying claim to any of the blood gold stolen by that sorry excuse for a troll's ugly cousin. But if'n you see fit to grant me a share, I be leaving it to the hin for their trouble."

Daurant then turns to the hin, Geradil and Courana.

"There's caravan goods aplenty in the caverns back there, stolen by the tuskers no doubt. Claim what you wish and can carry, it'll do no others good no more save these folks if ever they care to lug it all out of here."

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action: 

Swift Action: 

Move Action:

Standard Action:

Skill Checks

Stat Block

Appearance: 4'2", 182 lbs., Daurant has the pale skin tone of his Mountain Dwarf ancestors and a well groomed, waist length beard of silvery hue that would not shame him in any dwarf hall. His eyes are a dark grey reminiscent of the stone that makes up his kin's home. Strands of mithral and gold are braided into his beard, giving it a glittering sheen.

[URL=/sheets/?id=2873079][B][SIZE=+1]Daurant, son of Durl, Blood of Durgeddin, of Glitterhame[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Male LG Mountain Dwarf Fighter/Paladin, [B]Level[/B] 1/2, [B]Init[/B] 1, [B]HP[/B] 28/28, [B]Speed[/B] 20 [B]AC[/B] 19, [B]Touch[/B] 11, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 18, [B]Fort[/B] 6, [B]Ref[/B] 3, [B]Will[/B] 2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 3 [B]Masterwork Waraxe, Dwarven [/B] +5 (1d10+2, x3) [B]Masterwork Waraxe, Dwarven [/B] +5 (1d10+1, x3) [B] Hammer, throwing (3) [/B] +3 (1d6+2, x2) [B] Full plate[/B] (+8 Armor, +1 Dex) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 14, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13 [B]Condition[/B] None
Condition None

spacer.pngQUICK STATS:  AC=19+2, Touch=14, FF=17+2 / HP=19/19 / Init=2 / Saves: Fort=4, Reflex=5, Will = 6  _____________________________________________________________________________

When Daurant invites the Halflings to take their fill of the stolen merchandise which the party is specifically tasked to liberate and return to its true owners who hired the group, Brother Christo smiles and sincerely says, "I don't mind if you wish to share a sack of silver recovered from the Ogre, but we were specifically sent here by the legal owners of those caravan goods to recover the stolen merchandise and bring it back to their family businesses."

Smiling, the holy man explains to the Halflings, "I'm sorry, but we are here as the agents of the true owners of the caravan goods. We have given our word to find and return the merchandise and, thus the goods cannot be properly claimed by anyone else. Of course, should any of you wish to stay and help, then you would be entitled to an equal share of the reward for their return."

Continuing, the musical minister adds, "Plus, after previously joining into one group, we also are collectively entitled to an additional reward for clearing these ruins of Orcs, Ogres and any other foul creatures who might present an ongoing danger to the nearby trade routes, which additional reward we would be willing to share to all who stay and help as well."

"Finally, those who join and help will be entitled to an equal share of all the loot we find, such as coin, weapons and equipment, which is not obviously owned by another nor is part of our agreement with third parties regarding return of their commercial goods," Christo says. "We have already given our word and, thus we just can't divvy up the trade goods. Sorry my friend."

Show Mechanics

POST NOTE: PLEASE IGNORE REFERENCES TO TRADE GOODS. I INADVERTENTLY CONFUSED OUR MISSION WITH A MISSION IN A SIMILAR GAME

Move:  

Standard Action:  

Free Action: 

Swift Action:   

Move Action:   

Continuing Effects: Bardic Music - Protection Devotion from Gerbimble ( +2 sacred bonus to AC)

Edited by Terran (see edit history)

"Gods under the earth, stop pinchin' every copper against these poor folk! Ain't their fault they were captured. Like yer chargin' them for their own rescue almost! They're in no condition to assist us, Brother -- given how long they were caged. Stop pretendin' you can't help them out even further..." Snarled the dwarven scout in obvious disgust. That smug smile on the elf's face was the worst thing.

Gerbimble smiles to the halflings. "May your way home be free of danger, and your journey pleasant.
We'll do our best to ensure the orcs in this region will not trouble you or your village again."

The pair had made their choice, and the group had work to do. Best conclude this business as quickly as possible.
Gerbimble ajusts his backpack after putting his share of the loot in it, and looks expectantly at the others.

image.jpeg.20b6e759626b7ffc84d6cc51e1d96b3e.jpegDaurant grins in comprehension at the elf's words and smiles at Urd's reaction but then tries to calm her with a slow thoughtful nod.

"Geradil, Courana, me share of coin be yours and I'll remember yer town. If I come out this mountain when all is said and done, I'll search ya out for more. Travel safe and stay to the roads, keeping out of sight when ya can with yer senses about ya. May the Soul Forger smash those who'd do ya wrong!"

With that, Daurant turns to the party.

"Lets us be off to show you what is here and find what tuskers remain ta be stomped out."

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action: 

Swift Action: 

Move Action:

Standard Action:

Skill Checks

Stat Block

Condition None

Christo frowns at the unnecessary rebuke by others for supposedly being selfish, especially from those who knew him and knew better.  As far as he saw, no one else in the entire group parted with anything other than mere words for the pair of Halflings, whereas he alone bore the expense of providing a sackfuls of foodstuffs and survival equipment to them out of his own pocket, including the sacks themselves. 

He also had invited any of the newcomers to join the group should they so wish and, if the Halflings desired to pursue their goal to get home right away, then Elven minister had also offered to let them carry away sacks of silver for doing nothing other than surviving the imprisonment, which once again handfuls and handfuls of free silver for doing nothing did not seem a greedy act to the priest.

Thus, choosing to ignore the inane statements about his supposed obvious display of avarice, instead the holy man moved near his old friend Sugrin as the cleric paints his face with a well-practiced smile often used when dealing with unsophisticated members of the public and repeats his offer saying, "Good luck again and, as has been offered please feel free to take some of the caravan goods. I was speaking from a dream, my apologies! And, safe travels."

Once the Halflings have made their decisions and have departed, Father Vanleaf is unusually silent and simply awaits the decisions of others as to whether to secure the loot, to recover the nearby caravan supplies they are contracted to return to the owners, to stomp the tuskers, or take whatever action the group wants to pursue.

Show Mechanics

Move:  

Standard Action:  

Free Action: 

Swift Action:   

Move Action:   

Edited by Terran
JR Ewing Dream Sequence (see edit history)

"Daurant, was there anything where you were imprisoned of interest? Any side passages or the like? Obvious patrol paths?" Urd asked. Best to figure out where the remaining orcs were first....

Sugrin Velicent, Illusionist Extraordinaire

Sugrin.jpg.5950f0040afdf9f8128a135336bee017.jpgMale   Gnome   Illusionist 3  

Init 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 12, Touch 12, FF 11 | Fort 4, Ref 2, Will 4

Sugrin would wave his farewell to the halflings as they depart, then turn to pat Christo's hand, looking up at his old friend with a reassuring smile. It's time to hunt some more.. tuskers, he would laugh. Between them, they had never referred to orcs as tuskers, but the rest of the party didn't know that, and everyone seemed ready to adopt the moniker, so the clever gnome decided to just go with it.

Following up on Urd's question, he would turn to Daurant and ask, can you lead us back there and we'll have a look around then? Maybe we'll find some clues there.

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action: Speak

Swift Action: 

Move Action:

Standard Action:

Skill Checks

Continuing Effects: 

Protection Devotion: +2 AC [sacred]

image.jpeg.20b6e759626b7ffc84d6cc51e1d96b3e.jpegDaurant shakes his head slowly at Urd's question and nods emphatically at Sugrin's suggestion.

"I dinna see much from me prison, but there be a path leading off from there I had not travelled. The tuskers done some and go. There were others with us three at first, but they be taken away, with the tuskers mumbling some thing about payment made. Come, I take you there!"

With that, Daurant turns to lead the partyMoving token on Roll20 to reflect movements. back the way he'd come towards the makeshift cell, keeping his eyes and ears peeled for trouble.

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action: 

Swift Action: 

Move Action:

Standard Action:

Skill Checks

Take 10 on Spot and Listen for 10 in each.

Stat Block

Condition None

The crew stands in a corridor that leads east and west. To the east is a door, and to the south there is an opening to a natural cavern. Haphazard stacks of crates, barrels, and bundles litter this long, narrow cavern. The orcs appear to have had some success in their raids on the small settlements and mountain roads of the area.

Daurant goes south towards the cell he became so familiar with. This chamber is a natural cave with carefully smoothed walls and floors. Wet stone gleams, and you can discern at least four exits leading off into darkness, including the way you came. Red coals glow in the darkness of the far right hand passage. The room is littered with orcish sleeping furs, loot, and rubbish.

Perception Checks, Please.