Session 7: Down Once More...

GM Saint

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/a1/47/3e/a1473e5aaa1a8d1751ffd024df8a5b50.jpg

Something something laws of Carysand something something. Something something something. Something something!

Draysus isn't bored by it. He doesn't really get bored anymore. But it fades from his awareness as his mind fails to pick anything monster related from it. There's a brief spark of interest at 'more monsters in the world', but it fades as he realizes it's an abstract - comforting, to be sure, that there are more left, but not any help in finding some in particular here and now.

He feels an impatience as he looks at the short spear-wielder, although his body doesn't move an inch - that coiled wariness leaving little room for such. She mentioned a monster, and appeared willing to give more detail, but he had to wait.

He could wait.

He could be patient.

Internally the pressure built.

OOC

Murdain ShattershieldMurdain3.png.a5d60e98af2a810e67d63571adaee46c.png

Class: Psion 6 | AC: 14 | HP: 50/60 | Prof: +3 | Init: +3 | PP: 16 | Speed: 30ft

Conditions |0/3 0/36/6d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 2/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 1/4 SR|image.png.c62acd6d65df4d9d52e101b519ead606.png 0/1 LR| potion.png.8ceade609fcabc6cc6ab30895b9a0a52.png 3/10 |💼 Inventory

It had taken little effort and time to locate the meat and milk and drag enough of it upstiars - they'd paid for a suite so requests would be honored, but the kitchen staff gave him a strange look when he requested it. He'd lied about his dietary needs, but still felt ill about the fact when he made his way back upstairs and made his way to where Souris was, leaving the food behind the door and closing it shut, then walking over back to the paladin with a sigh. "Apologies. Where were we?"

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

"I'm still waiting for those answers. Listen, I've no authority here to demand anything. Maybe I've not even the right to ask for it. But I am sworn to defend my kingdom and to seek to shed light where there is Shadow." Dawn speaks but you can almost feel the capitalized S in Shadow.

"I come hoping for that clarity. You say someone from Carysand triggered all of this. Who? How? If one of my people has violated the Vale's blessing, I assure you he will be made to face justice. I do not know why the King-Priest proclaimed the Vale to ve what it is and that King passed generations ago, perhaps the current King himself no longer knows. But it is a sacred law and its punishment is very clear."

orcpirate(2).jpg.12104ac02f934c721f72d91272b3fe2d.jpgName Barkvin | Class Cleric 5 | AC: 19 | HP: 23/50 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +3 / Dex +2 / Con +3 / Int +1 / Wis +8 / Cha +3 | Luck: (1/2) | Channel Divinity: (0/1)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life | Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (5/5) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (1/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (0/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS save), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6)

Level 3 | (0/2)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute), Revivify

Barkvin shakes his head at Nikoletta. "Argh, well then she is your problem to deal with." Then he turns to Murdain but glances at Dawn. "So as best I understand it went down like this. Sylvania got into a bad marriage and ran from her husband with her two sons to the Vale. Her husband sent a bunch of thugs after her. She needed protection, so she went to the hag for help. The hag gave Sylvania the amulet and the rings. (So, Murdain, them things you have are cursed.) Somehow when she used them her already wild magic went even wilder and ripped a hole into the realm of shadow. She was apperently killed. I burried her. Somehow she came back from the dead changed, part Sylvania and part shadow monster creating shadow babies. She was bent on revenge, but also bent on destroying everything. I don't know what the hag's game plan is, but she gave her the cursed amulet and set all this in motion. I still ain't sure how the Skorn tie into all this, but they do somehow." He took a deep breath after he finished blurting it all out.

Mechanics

MOVE: none

ACTION: none

BONUS ACTION: none

REACTION: none

CONCENTRATION: none

OOC: none

Edited by WolfBirch (see edit history)

Class: Psion 6 | AC: 14 | HP: 50/60 | Prof: +3 | Init: +3 | PP: 16 | Speed: 30ft

Conditions |0/3 0/36/6d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 2/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 1/4 SR|image.png.c62acd6d65df4d9d52e101b519ead606.png 0/1 LR| potion.png.8ceade609fcabc6cc6ab30895b9a0a52.png 3/10 |💼 Inventory

Murdain nodded slowly in recognition of what the orc was saying. Cursed... That could be. He'd needed to identify the amulet still, and had no plans of surrendering either item to anyone until he was certain they couldnt be used in investigation - and of course, he'd deny having them to those that asked. After all, he was careful when he lifted them. Thankfully, Barkvin was quiet about where the items were, and the cleric knew when to keep quiet, so it wouldnt ever be an issue. "I'll add what I know. The man who is her ex-husband apparent is named Garin Bolger. He lives in Tristan's Rock, and thats where she was planning to go. He is the one who sent men after Sylvania. We dont know where her sons are. Barkvin's possibly wrong on only one point. Unless there's more of them, the amulet didnt come from the hag. I'm still looking into its possibly previous owner." He chewed his lip before continuing. "...The Shadow-spawn, smaller variations, were killed in the Vale itself. The damage they've inflicted on wildlife is heavy, and many towns are going to have a hungry winter. Finally, yes - the Skorn and their priest are present in the Vale and were interested in killing this monster. It is called a Chaos Beast. As for the Hag... She was also interested in the beast being destroyed. Could be she lost control of her 'game piece'."

The dwarf looked at the paladin attentively, trying to measure what she was thinking. "...The Chaos Beast's method of reproduction is by injecting a venom into its prey, which seems to slowly drive them insane with pain and confusion, and transform into its 'children'. As far as we saw, this only works on sentient humanoids. The venom can be cured by at least clerical spells. Its spawn's venom doesnt seem to be potent enough to create more spawn. The rate at which they age is unknown. The spawn that was killed by hunters and was in the town square yesterday was a spawnling. We have seen a larger variant. Given Barkvin buried Sylvania... three? Years ago, and the largest spawn we saw was likely an adolescent, still unable to have proper venom, we should be fine. It is unknown how many remain, though, and they are quite elusive. I can give a written report of their features, method of attack, and so on, if this is something worthwhile to you."

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)

image.png.3d378821b1ebc03be46be4efa85efbdf.png.c9ea60af0e8e668ec25b62a840402668.png.11709216598f39c4d685ad0aa39f9dc5.pngName: Souris Garou | Class: Druid 5 | AC: 11 | HP: 36/45 | Prof: +3 | PP: 17 (22 for scent and sound) 

Saves | Attacks | Cantrips | Magic Items | Wildshape: ▣ ▣

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack: +7 | Level 1 ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣  | Level 2 ▣ ▣ |   Level 3 ▣ ▣ | Luck ▣ ▣

Small hands took the tray and pitcher, taking a quick glance at the room outside before turning back to the little ones. Sitting on the floor she fed them meat and fish, drinking the milk herself to calm her nerves. She wasn't a fan of paladins, and what she was hearing through the door had her knuckles white, but she knew better than to fight with the orc. Any outburst would simply be used against her, so she poured milk in her hand for the tiny aberrations to lap and listened, and waited. It seemed like they ignored what she had said or what the danger truly was... if they pressed this path they would find out though. Maybe all the sun blinded fools would eventually, as well as those who chased their own shadows...

Dice Ex Machina

Drink milk, play with squitties, eaves drop... note summoned beast is still around playing with squitties.

"I don't know the man but I know his name," Dawn admitted with a nod to Murdain. "When brother Barkvin here mentioned Tristan's Rock yesterday, I had my aid ask around. Hes the lord there, a midling lord with high aspirations for his house. He discovered Lors Bolgers wife had gone missing some years ago. He gathered no inkling he was abusive and she fled here.

If he sent men after her, the punishment is death. I can assure you him and I will soon converse. As for this hag, if she's here you'll have to see to that side of justice. We each do our parts and everyone sees justice."

"I understand." Murdain nodded. "However, Ser Dawn... I have no right to tell you how to do your job, nor even make suggestions, but if you'll indulge me for a moment... There's been a lot happening recently. Death is... final. Exact. At times, expensive in many ways. I have no proof, but, if possible, before you mete out lawful justice, see if you can discover the truth around it. We'll do the same on our end. Because this entire story seems like it has a lot more around it than it appears. I do not have concrete proof, yet, but we are dealing with life and death. Nothing less than certainty can be enough." He half-turned, pretending to look at the chest of gold but in reality looking at the closed door with concern and a hint of grief. "...Some of us are here because we made mistakes. Others because the mistakes of our ancestors. Everyone's different. But I for one do not wish to make any more mistakes, even if it takes longer."

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action:
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

"I assure you, sir, I dont make a habit of executing men on the accusations of strangers. My aide is very young but he has a very special talent for sussing out the truth of a thing. We will ride for Tristan's Rock and I will take the measure of this man while my aide delves into every facet of his lordship'" she explains, rising to her feet. This was all she needed to know for now, enough to start an inquiry. "I have fought Skorn before. Three were sent to kill the Archmagus Crassus, one if the kings advisors. Dangerous men, talented warriors with no fear. I wish you luck with them."

She starts to turn towards the door but pauses. Those with an angle to see face see a woman struggling with some great decision, one she isn't confident in. The decision is made though and she turns back to face everyone.

"A village had fallen to disease. I deviated from my course to help the sick, to contain any contagion. Because of that, I found Ser Gavan the Sunsetter a day gone by the time I arrived. He flees south, you've told me he's come to the Vale.

I can't tell you how close I am every day of casting off my faith and coming for him. Even speaking to you of this is... questionable. Hes a zealot, the most dangerous kind. He believes we must all serve the light as an absolute... he put an entire family of travelers to death, fourteen men, women and even children... on the accusation one was a practitioner of necromancy. His proof was... less than convincing and he acted without trial. The King-Priest order him stripped of all positions and titles, branded him ab oathbreaker and a murderer... if I hadn't stopped to help that village... you just be very wary of him. Not a man prone to dishonesty or dishonor but a dangerous man with very extreme methods."

360_F_550145852_p3MjtVaLStdL6fBKNHQZIyXwvqUQHVon.jpg.b9c3ec16c0fc13a81db46d2d22c75495.jpg

Name Nikoletta Vandal | Class BH/Pal | Level: 6 | AC: 15| HP: 72/72 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 18 / Dex 12 / Con 14 / Int 08 / Wis 10 / Cha 14
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Eyeless [o] Aroooo:[o] The Die: 1d6 Attacks: Greatsword | +7 | 1d12+4 slash - Bow | +4 | 1dd8+3

Spells: Misty Step/Levitate/Dispel Magic/Bless [o][o][o][o]

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o][o]

"I trust Barkvin's assessment... but it is not something we can act on quickly so exercising caution is a course i agree with."

She listens intently to Dawn but she doesn't know who this mystery knight even is.

image.png.0d2bf1c6a4777346ef39bc7c9b9df1f0.png

Name Aaliyah | Class Warlock/Sorc | Level: 1/5 | AC: 15| HP: 49/49 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 14 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Attacks: EB | +7 | 1d10+4(x2)

Cantrips       Spells Known (6): 

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 Sorc Points: 5/5

Spells (Sorc lvl1) [o][o][o][o] (lvl2) [o][o][o] (lvl3) [o][o]l (War lvl1) [o]  

"Can we not talk about her anymore?" Aaliyah had slowed down in her counting efforts when Barkvin has begun sharing what he knew. The hag was the monster she mentioned to Draysus but she didn't even look at him now. Birianna wasn't someone you could easily fight anyway and she didn't want him to mindlessly go kill himself.

She listens to what Dawn had to say about Ser Gavan and frowns more. "He seems so nice..."

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Ved Kith (AKA Kirit)  |  Class: Fighter 5 

AC: 16+2HP: 60/60 | Hit dice: 4/4d10 

SR Abilities: SDice: 0/4d8  0/1d6 | Action surge 0/1 | 2nd Wind 1/1

LR Abilities: Luck 0/2 | Adamant 0/1  Attacks  | Saves  | Maneuvers

"Called it." says Ved about Ser Gavan, to no one in particular.

Edited by Knave (see edit history)

orcpirate(2).jpg.12104ac02f934c721f72d91272b3fe2d.jpgName Barkvin | Class Cleric 5 | AC: 19 | HP: 23/50 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +3 / Dex +2 / Con +3 / Int +1 / Wis +8 / Cha +3 | Luck: (1/2) | Channel Divinity: (0/1)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life | Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (5/5) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (1/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (0/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS save), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6)

Level 3 | (0/2)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute), Revivify

The half elf/half orc is about to open his mouth to say more about the hag when Aaliyah makes her request. "Aye, me hearty, so be it. I need a drink." Barkvin looks around at his companions meeting their eyes and trying to determine where they would stand and finally he looks at the door Souris is behind. This was not going to end well. He walks out the door and down to the tavern below to get a drink or two. He wanted to get drunk, but was so tired that after a few drinks he would come back up to go to bed.

Mechanics

MOVE: go down to the tavern below for a couple pints of ale

ACTION: none

BONUS ACTION: none

REACTION: none

CONCENTRATION: none

OOC: none

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/a1/47/3e/a1473e5aaa1a8d1751ffd024df8a5b50.jpg

Draysus one hundred percent wants to go mindlessly kill himself. He leans forward. Leaving the axe leaned against the table, he steeples his hands in front of his eyes, making his heavy brows look even heavier and more furrowed.

"Is this 'hag'... a monster?"

OOC

Edited by Rejakor (see edit history)

360_F_550145852_p3MjtVaLStdL6fBKNHQZIyXwvqUQHVon.jpg.b9c3ec16c0fc13a81db46d2d22c75495.jpg

Name Nikoletta Vandal | Class BH/Pal | Level: 6 | AC: 15| HP: 72/72 | Prof: +3 Stats: Str 18 / Dex 12 / Con 14 / Int 08 / Wis 10 / Cha 14
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Eyeless [o] Aroooo:[o] The Die: 1d6 Attacks: Greatsword | +7 | 1d12+4 slash - Bow | +4 | 1dd8+3

Spells: Misty Step/Levitate/Dispel Magic/Bless [o][o][o][o]

Nikoletta just pours Barkvin a drink. "No need to hide downstairs, child. Someone has seen to our needs already," she says. Then to make him more comfortable, she pours herself a glass of wine. "I do not drink often but Ser Dawn, will you share one with us?"

She fills another drink the paladin in case she decides to take her up on the offer. "Whatever the source of our enemy today, we were victorious. Souris? Souris! Come child." She begins filling a glass for everyone, even offering one to Draysus since she doesn't know of his aversion. "Let us take a moment to cast off the burden of the day and honor ourselves for but a moment. I propose this day has reached its end, our duties discharged. For that, we allow ourselves a moment of celebration and we worry about the future dangers another day."

"A toast then! To good winning out." She holds her glass up.