Chapter 1: An Ill Guest Arrives

matt_s

The party rides on in the rain, anxious looks cast now and again at the now-river to their backs. A curiosity now - the main trail left by what all presume to be Davey and company is more or less ahead in the same direction as they were going, but a second trail made of a gaggle of shoeprints, horses, and small pack animals crosses as well. And they find it hard to tell in the burgeoning twilight but to the right of the main trail the second veers off towards where they saw the telltale glint of the spyglass. Best estimate is that the vantage point from which they were watched is maybe a mile distance, but it is hard to tell...

as it stands...

if you want to press on after twilight, will need another set of tracking and survival rolls given the dark. At -2 if not using any light sources. Neutral if you are. The trail is still visible in the rain but who knows what morning will bring in that regard... You can either follow main trail or investigate the spyglass. If you make camp, roll survival or make a case for a similar skill to find dry shelter.

MalakaiThree.jpg.4683114ef9baf763d8ef8cf491c662c6.jpgMalakai Wallace

ST: 11 | DX: 11 IQ: 10 | HT: 10 | Will: 11 | PER: 11 | Speed: 5.25 | Move: 5

HP: 11/11 | FP: 10/10 | Dodge: 8 | Parry: 9 (Brawling) / 8 (Knife) | Thr: 1d-1 | Sw: 1d+1

Kneeling down in the damp dirt, Malakai mutters a quick curse at the devil wrought rain. Most anytime the downpour would be welcome in this dry country, but now it was forcing choices he didn't much like making. Wiping the damp from his face he looks up toward the top of the mesa where they'd spotted the shine of a spyglass not so long ago. Then he glances at his two companions.

"Now I know it looks like Davey's trail continues on that a way." He says pointing out the main trail. "But I'm not too keen on letting some unknown bunch ride along behind us or be signaling to anyone out ahead of us. What do you fellers say we go have a word with whoever's camped out on that hilltop? Either they're part of Davey's bunch and could tell us where he's headin' or maybe they saw the bandit pass through and could tell us how many he 's got riding with him. At the least they might have a fire a dry spot to camp."

His gaze flicks back and forth between Mickey and the wounded Sloan.

Edited by DM-Tareth (see edit history)

Sloan "Sledgehand" Turlough pugilistimage.png

HP: 3/13 FP: 11/11 Half Move and Dodge

Sloan looks at the newcomer and winces, "I was at first thinking that we go straight after Davy and his band, that whoever that was off yonder ain't non'a our business. But what you's a sayin makes sense. I think we head off that'a'ways and see what they know. Hell, maybe they got a sawbones with 'em can help ta' get the lead outta me!" The old boxer smiles but even that hurts to do.

OOC

it'll be fine. I'm sure it'll be just fine.

The deputies turned off the trail of Davey and his companions and made their way towards where they thought the spyglass was last spotted. Their dead reckoning and the narrow trail seemed to align. The clatter of the hoofbeats and the splatter of the raindrops formed an uneasy natural chorus as twilight began to muster around them.

And then they turned a corner and before they could even realize it maybe a dozen Yuma Indians stepped out of the bushes and from behind boulders. They cradled weapons in their arms, blackpowder muzzle loading rifles, flintlock muskets, one a bayonet equipped matchlock from maybe the ancient conquests of the Spanish armies from an another era lost to the dusts of time, one a cap and ball Colt revolver, and another a Henry rifle as fine as any cowboy could ask for. Their countenance was one of curiosity and almost bemusement. And they did not speak. Instead they waited perhaps for the deputies to speak, perhaps for them to go away. Instinct told the deputies that if this was a war party out for blood their blood would already be washed away with the rain.

OOC

roll either "area knowledge" or something else connected to knowledge to local tribes

Name
are they spotted...
3d6 2,1,1

HP: 11/11 | FP: 10/10 | Dodge: 8 | Parry: 9 (Brawling) / 8 (Knife)

Thr: 1d-1 | Sw: 1d+1

Easing the reins back, Malakai brings his horse to a halt and swallows hard as the dozen or so braves stare at him and his companions. Sure to make no sudden or threatening moves he raises a single hand in an easy greeting. Although it is difficult in the dying light of the day, a flicker of recognition dances along the outer edges of his memory. As he struggles to bring his racing mind to heel, he figures if they wanted him dead, his soul would already be racing toward the Lord's judgement so he simply offers a greeting.

"Hello." He calls out to the natives. "We don't mean you folk any harm."

Area Knowledge(Arcadia)

Edited by DM-Tareth (see edit history)
Name
Area Knowledge(Arcadia)
3d6 5,1,2

On 1/30/2024 at 1:15 AM, Bobcloclimar said:

the last few stories he had heard 'bout these fellers

These Yuma are a primarily agrarian group. They move settlements every few years to fresher grounds and supplement farmed foodstuffs with hunting and some ranching. Some of the young men also work as cowboys on the big ranches or otherwise seek their fortunes outside tribal life remitting back to their homes. As the lack of general violence would suggest, they are not overly belligerent but like anyone the Yuma look warily on strangers. Mickey also recollects the basic etiquette of greeting and dealing with them and is able to inform his fellows of those such things.

And one more thing - the Yuma hate Davey Brown. About twenty years back they killed off the Glanton gang with Brown slipping away in the chaos. And then during the Civil War as a freebooter Davy had exacted no small revenge on them. That as much as anything had made the Yuma staunch Federal loyalists as far as the tribes went.

On 1/30/2024 at 10:21 AM, DM-Tareth said:

"We don't mean you folk any harm."

The evident leader with the Henry rifle laughed a grim sarcastic laugh. Perhaps it matters less what you mean but rather what you can do. And you can do little to men of our number and strength beyond sell your lives at a price that we would not be willing to pay. We ... we are a dwindled people and the meridian of our day I fear is past.

But you fear more things out here in the wilds than Yuma.

It was not a question. He had noticed Sloan's wounds for indeed it was impossible not to.

You wear badges on your chest. I know most of the law around here and I do not recognize you. Who are you deputized to? How come you here bearing arms and pressing on with a wounded man in your number?

Mickey raises his hands in a gesture of peaceful approach. "Easy, there, feller. We bin dep-oo-tized by th' sheriff o' Arcadia t' look inta some killin's 'round here, an' best we kin reckon, Davey Brown might th' culprit. Ye ain't seen th' likes o' him or his fellers 'round, 'ave ye?"

Edited by Bobcloclimar (see edit history)

HP: 11/11 | FP: 10/10 | Dodge: 8 | Parry: 9 (Brawling) / 8 (Knife) | Thr: 1d-1 | Sw: 1d+1

Seeing that Mickey had the know how of these Yuma indians, Malakai kept his peace and let the other deputy do the talking. That is until he took a closer look at Sloan. A worried frown contorts his features and he looks back at the one speaking for the Yuma.

"Would you be willing to share your fire tonight?" He asks the tribesman and then nods toward Sloan. "He's keepin' up a strong face, but I reckin our pard here is about done in for the day. And with Davy and his men lurking about, seems wise for other folk to stick together when they can."

On 2/2/2024 at 7:43 PM, Bobcloclimar said:

"Easy, there, feller. We bin dep-oo-tized by th' sheriff o' Arcadia t' look inta some killin's 'round here, an' best we kin reckon, Davey Brown might th' culprit. Ye ain't seen th' likes o' him or his fellers 'round, 'ave ye?"

The leader of the Yuma's face turns dark and sour for a moment. He spoke in a lightly accented drawl that would not be out of place on the backwater towns of the region. We ain't seen him or at least ain't seen enough of him to identify. But one of our hunters saw a party of men traveling this way awhile back and traveling at speed heavily armed. So we came out to see what they were up to and to drive them off our patch should we need to do so. But if that is of whom you speak and that is who you are after, then we wish you the best of luck.

You will need it. He has numbers and he has the cunning endowed generously to wicked men.

If I was him, I'd find a camp near either the river crossing or the fresh spring a ways North. At the river crossing he could rob travelers trying to cross to the far west. At the spring he would have a hold fast where the bandits could raid railroads and wagon trains. But the minds of the evil often turn in ways peculiar to themselves.

On 2/2/2024 at 11:48 PM, prophane said:

Sloan forces a smile and nods at the Yuma. "Taint much more'n a little nick, taint much," he manages, swaying a bit in his saddle and looking fairly puny.

We have some medicine. It will not cure you outright but it will ease the pain and prevent the wound from going bad.

On 2/3/2024 at 11:34 AM, DM-Tareth said:

"Would you be willing to share your fire tonight?" He asks the tribesman and then nods toward Sloan. "He's keepin' up a strong face, but I reckin our pard here is about done in for the day. And with Davy and his men lurking about, seems wise for other folk to stick together when they can."

The Yuma looked at each other for a few moments, then gathered and conferred in their own language.

The leader returned and spoke as if a judge delivering the verdict of a jury.

You are not of our people and will not truly be able to share our fire, but we will not cast you out into the cold and deny you a measure of hospitality. If the wounded man is willing, we will tend to his wound and we will ensure you have hot food and a warm fire tonight although you will be detached from our company.

Vague looks of displeasure from some of the Yuma. You gather that some feel he gave too much, others tool ittle.

"Much obliged for your kindness." Malakai says, tipping his hat to the leader of the Yuma. He glances at Sloan again and nods toward the indian.

"It's up to you, but I'd sure feel better if you let them take a look at that wound o' yours." He says to his pale companion. "I patched you up, best as I know how, but my best ain't all that much. Now these natives on t'other hand are sometimes better than a sawbones when it comes to mendin' flesh."

Lowering himself off his tired horse, the prospector-turned-deputy starts digging through his gear. After rubbing down his horse and measuring out a cup or two of oats for its supper, he turns to filling his own belly. A task punctuated by the rattling of a few pans and a happy smile as he pulling out a handful of tidily stored tins. "I've coffee, fixin's for biscuits, and some tinned beef." He says turning back to the Yuma spokesman. "If you've a few chilis or something else to add to the pot, we could make ourselves a pretty decent stew with dumplin's."

Sloan "Sledgehand" Turlough pugilistimage.png

HP: 3/13 FP: 11/11 Half Move and Dodge

Sloan tips his hat toward the Yuma, "Yes, much obliged. I think that feller might'a got me better than I initially thought." He winces and slowly dismounts. He takes his hat off and stands there, leaning heavily on his horse. Turning to his companions, "Getting a good night sleep and some vittles will put us in a might better place come morning, then we can get back to tracking this devil and bringing him to justice."

OOC

Sloan will accept any medical assistance from them.

One of the younger warriors holds Sloan upright as he dismounts and leans him against a rock in the shade. The rain has mercifully stopped by now and the damp on the rock and ground is generally bearable, more like dew than mud.

Then, perhaps the oldest man in the party of Yuma kneels beside Sloan. He removes the clothes from around the wound. Another man passes him a pair of metal pliers, but the older man pauses for a moment. He mutters a few words in their language and a small canteen is produced and handed to Sloan. The older man says,

Special Yuma medicine. It will ease your pain and clear your mind.

but with a smug smile as if laughing at a joke that only the Yuma understood. The younger men can barely contain themselves. When Sloan drinks he almost coughs it back up. As far as he can tell that stuff is not so much exotic medicine as highly distilled grain alcohol. That stuff would go for a pretty penny in Nacogdoches.

The old man then reaches into the wound with the pliers. Now all understand why they administered the "medicine" to Sloan as even with the drink affecting him he is contorted in agony as with a determined hand with strength not expected from a man of his age the healer extracts a few small shreds of fabric from the wound. All know that if left in, that wound would have festered and likely killed Sloan in due time. He then washes the wound with some clear cold water. Again, the cleansing agony strikes Sloan.

Finally, the wound is bandaged with clean linens.

That evening, the Yuma offer food and let them camp nearby with the safety in numbers. Come dawn, a few quiet words with the leader gives them a heading to start to follow, largely in line with the trail they had left early that day.

ooc

Sloan regains 3hp on top of any natural recovery. Roll natural recovery at +2 because you received medical treatment. If you have more questions for the Yuma go for it. I just got back from travel so I'll try to keep updates coming regular-like.

Name
medicine check vs 15
3d6 2,3,4
hp regained 1d-2
1d6-2 5